Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry but Jackson has to go.

Comments

• Options
    I honestly don’t care at the moment. Feel like I need my own summer off away from Charlton Athletic. No interest at all.
    12 weeks before the last league fixture and the first of next season. 
  • Options
    We got a bounce when he took over that lifted us out of the mire but it's been one step forward, one step back since. The football has been abysmal and tactically we have been hopeless. I don't expect someone to make us promotion contenders in six months but it looks clear to me that Jackson won't do it for sure.
  • Options
    Think we were bottom 2 when JJ took over, we are safe and I think we are all anticipating a fair bit of squad surgery this summer. We need it to meet our expectations, but I don’t think JJ is the problem. 
    I think by the time it’s concluded that JJ isn’t up to it next season and I really think that’s the case, next season will be dead and we’ll be having the same discussions. 
    Said the same when Nigel got sacked and thought then that a complete clear out was needed and still think the same now.

This group of people, ie JJ, JE, Skivo and the players, do not have the minerals to get promoted imo. Maybe a rookie manager like JJ might have had a chance with a more capable and loyal squad, but there's just too much deadwood for me and I think the challenge far exceeds JJ's abilities unfortunately. Genuinely think there's literally no help for the majority our squad, one way or another, and even Pep couldn't inspire them. Maybe if we had another 3 or 4 as good as, and as consistent as Dobson, it would be a different story.

When I see that we should give him the first 10 games of next season, I want to claw my own eyes out.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    stonemuse said:
    I believe he should be given the chance to continue ... the potential is there. 
    Give him a decent budget and allow bringing in players now.
    F*** him off if after 15 games it is not working.
  • Options
    Sacking, or not renewing his contract, Jackson and doing nothing else different won't change anything. 

If Jackson goes it needs a clean sweep, and let's be honest that should have happened last year 

Anyone convinced that Jackson is the man to take us up is either loyal to a fault or the personification of optomisum.  I am not convinced he is or he isn't. 

Does he deserve the summer, probably.  Has he earnt it?  Probably not. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    I believe he should be given the chance to continue ... the potential is there. 
    Give him a decent budget and allow bringing in players now.
    F*** him off if after 15 games if it is not working.
    What, then give JJ's replacement a decent budget after the 15 games, coz he's inherited JJs team?

• Options
    He needs to get the chance to sort it out for next season although I must admit Burstow starting baffled me. If he was our player, fine.
    Why MUTTLEY? what have you seen in his management to suggest he can improve on what he’s done already. Can he be trusted with a new bunch of players?. I’m not sure he’s done enough to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing I will say is this squad was definitely a 'play-off worthy squad' when Adkins was in charge based from comments when Adkins was sacked. 

Once Jackson has a bad run of form they become relegation contenders that Jackson has managed to do well with. Even after he signs players for hundreds of thousands in january. 

Double standards like that cannot continue. 
    That’s standard fan optimism at the start of a season. It’s clear now this squad are mid table at best. I wouldn’t expect any manager to get more out of them.
  • Options
    JJ hasn't shown much promise as yet but I expect him to be here next season. 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    He needs to get the chance to sort it out for next season although I must admit Burstow starting baffled me. If he was our player, fine.
    He's had the second-half of the season and we are no further forward.
    Half a season with someone else's team, following some dreadful recruitment last summer.

Also, we were in dire straights in the relegation zone when he took over so there's no debate to be had on that front - the table will tell you we are significantly further forward.

Standard sack the manager thread - not a single suggestion of a better alternative. Plus the absurd theory that it's realistic to expect someone to turn relegation fodder into promotion contenders in 6 months.
    It’s not our job to suggest alternatives. How can we possibly know who is available, who would come and budget ? All I do know is that what we are witnessing on the pitch is a Charlton team devoid of anything worth watching. Some won’t blame the manager but I think he’s doing quite a lot worse than needs be by persisting with a system that we are not equipped to play and stubbornly won’t shift from despite awful performances. I’ve seen it said that he’s still looking to see which of the squad is capable of adapting to his system for next year. If he’s any sort of coach he knew the answer to that a good few months ago. 
  • Options
    https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,3193374

On a similar note, as I feel we play a very similar brand of football - Brum fans not happy with Bowyer. 

Some very familiar criticisms across the board including:

And incredibly stubborn. I'm not against 352 but only when you have the correct players to play this system. We don't.’
  • Options
    We keep JJ and we need to sign four wing backs, two centre backs, a scoring Midfielder and a striker. That’s a minimum to allow him to play his favoured system. 
  • Options
    Table since JJ took over has us 11th, is the squad really any better than that? So I think he’s done average so far results wise, but 6 games without a decent striker doesn’t help his record. 

3-5-2 will be fine once we get 3 good CBs and some wing backs in the summer. The top 7 in league 1 all play it so the formation clearly works at this level 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    My concern is that he lacks flexibility, but the players he/we bring in will be important and people were saying much the same about Powell. I would back Jacko to have a better understanding of what is wrong than a new manager that we could reasonably attract.
    He may have a better understanding, but what has he done about it in 5 months?
  • Options
    Enough is enough for me. I can't see us getting promoted next season with Jackson in charge. He simply can't motivate his players and tactically he looks clueless. His obsession with 3-5-2 has cost us a shed load of points this season and there is no excuse for the 'bothered/can't be bothered' second-half of the season. We need the biggest clearout we can afford and I would put my money on someone else. It's too important a role to get wrong for yet another season.
    I agree Big D. He’s too one dimensional with the way he sets his team up and we’ve well and truly been sussed out for the last four months. He persists with players that just aren’t good enough and the players he bought in during the window, well I don’t know if they’re any good because I haven’t seen them play. I don’t trust him or Gallen to choose the right players for next season. Other teams seem to be able to gel but we don’t. It’s down to the manager and he has to go 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Table since JJ took over has us 11th, is the squad really any better than that? So I think he’s done average so far results wise, but 6 games without a decent striker doesn’t help his record. 

3-5-2 will be fine once we get 3 good CBs and some wing backs in the summer. The top 7 in league 1 all play it so the formation clearly works at this level 
    He has been the manager since October and never had those players so why play this system? 
  • Options
    I'm undecided on whether Jacko should stay, but that is mainly born out of loyalty.
    The team and the players have occasionally looked like a team, but generally they look like a predictable bunch of individuals making the same mistakes week in week out.
    There is no doubt a better manager would have had the team higher up the table, but will we get a better manager?
    I'm minded of Forest who were on the fringes of relegation last season and this.
    Cooper comes in and now they are promotion contenders.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    paulfox said:
    Why MUTTLEY? what have you seen in his management to suggest he can improve on what he’s done already. Can he be trusted with a new bunch of players?. I’m not sure he’s done enough to be honest.
    I think the first thing we should all do is not overreact. It wasn't the worst performance this season but it was error strewn and we know our defence has errors in it. A lot of them. None of us really know how good a manager Jacko is but we can't keep sacking them and if anybody knows what is wrong, he ought to. Why do we think we can bring in better? You have to let the process continue and give him until October as Airman has suggested.

We don't have to clear out the whole squad but we do need to make some significant changes. I think Jacko knows enough about what he is doing to make the changes and decisions and if he isn't supported it doesn't matter who the manager is.

Firstly, we can't rely on U23 players until they become bona fide first teamers. But they don't count in the squad limit. That was a big error last season. Some may well establish themselves but that is a bonus. Then we have to look at out of contract players. Chris Gunter, Adam Matthews, Ben Purrington, Conor Washington, Jason Pearce, Jake Forster-Caskey, Pape Soare, Ben Watson, Ryan Inniss and Josh Davison. I'd add Kirk to that who hopefully we can sell on.

Of those, we should definitely let Gunter, Watson, Matthews, Soare and Davison go. Pearce too unless he can not count as a squad player as a player coach. I'd possibly keep Inniss as a pay as you play player if the squad limits allow. Decisions need to be made on Purrington and Washington and Burstow and Leko will be gone. Lee sadly needs to go as does Famewo, we can do better. 

I'd possibly keep Purrington, Washington and JFC if they are not too greedy. I think that would leave 10 slots to strengthen the squad (and possibly a couple of bonus slots in Pearce and Inniss) which I think we should try to do with 8 or 9 new players. So possibly 1 midfielder, I striker and 6 or 7 defenders/wing backs. But the quality has to be strong.
  • Options
    I think he has to given a chance over the summer and into the start of next season.

Needs a big turnaround in the summer, my enthusiasm to watch Charlton is at an all time low 
  • Options
    Nothing will happen to Jacko now with the season over, and I think he should get the summer and a small chunk of next season. If he has the kind of start NA had this season though, he should go, and earlier then NA was let go (which should have been straight after the 1-4 Bolton home defeat). 

But theres also issues with recruitment, if this summer ends up as bad as last summer, can any manager produce a promotion winning team with that? If TS keeps insisting that we shouldn't pay as much for the best players that other L1 teams are willing to, what are we supposed to do?
  • Options
    Jackson gets the summer transfer window, if we are rubbish in November then he should be sacked. That’s how it goes. 
  • Options
    I agree he should get the summer and half of next season. Am I convinced that he is 100% the man? Not really. But chopping and changing isn’t the answer IMO.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!