Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry but Jackson has to go.

Comments

• Options
    Think we were bottom 2 when JJ took over, we are safe and I think we are all anticipating a fair bit of squad surgery this summer. We need it to meet our expectations, but I don’t think JJ is the problem. 
    I think by the time it’s concluded that JJ isn’t up to it next season and I really think that’s the case, next season will be dead and we’ll be having the same discussions. 
    This. And then the new manager will come in wanting to play 4 4 2 & wont have the players to do so. Rinse & repeat. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Jackson has a 49% win ratio in all competitions. He has inherited lots of rubbish like Gunter, Pearce, Matthews, gilbey and loans like lee! Given the shit he has to work with, that 49% looks pretty good. 

Give him the summer to make his mark and bring in players that fit his formation. I seriously doubt that Jackson wants to be playing Matthews and Morgan!!
    You've listed Lee as shit but he has already been promoted out of this league before and has our joint top assists with a remarkable 4 assists whilst also being our top scoring midfielder with a scarcely believable 3 goals.
    Lee is shit. 
    He played well for the first month or so and then he just started running round in circles with the ball.
    He doesn't pass the ball well because he plays with his head down and doesn't know who is available to pass to.

Since he's shown he is good enough to be promoted from this league before and by your own admission he was decent when he arrived surely the issue for his regression is that our coaching and tactics are one dimensional, ill suited to our players and therefore beyond shit?

He has still done more this year than any of our other midfielders that aren't Dobson.

Basically Jackson should be doing better and I'd rather we moved on from him and the entire coaching team before we waste another season, which we will if we are forced to watch Jackson bang his head against the wall with these tactics.
  • Options
    So much understandable sentimentality surrounding Jackson; it's the Modus Operandi of the Charlton fan.

Jackson will, alas, end up like Chris Powell. A really nice chap who, sadly, is not cut out for football 'management'. Part of the coaching team, yes, but actually managing and handling all that is associated with such, no.

Ok, we all measure success differently, but, in my opinion, Jackson, like Powell, will never be cut out to be a successful manager. He has a touch of the Cowleys or Robinsons about him, a lower league merry-go-round manager. Nothing more than journeyman material.

But then again, are we any better than journeyman material?
    The Cowleys and Karl Robinson are proven managers at this level. Robinson has been in charge of nearly 650 games in the EFL, both Oxford and Pompey are comfortably ahead of us in the table.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jackson has a 49% win ratio in all competitions. He has inherited lots of rubbish like Gunter, Pearce, Matthews, gilbey and loans like lee! Given the shit he has to work with, that 49% looks pretty good. 

Give him the summer to make his mark and bring in players that fit his formation. I seriously doubt that Jackson wants to be playing Matthews and Morgan!!
    You've listed Lee as shit but he has already been promoted out of this league before and has our joint top assists with a remarkable 4 assists whilst also being our top scoring midfielder with a scarcely believable 3 goals.
    Lee is shit. 
    He played well for the first month or so and then he just started running round in circles with the ball.
    He doesn't pass the ball well because he plays with his head down and doesn't know who is available to pass to.

Since he's shown he is good enough to be promoted from this league before and by your own admission he was decent when he arrived surely the issue for his regression is that our coaching and tactics are one dimensional, ill suited to our players and therefore beyond shit?

He has still done more this year than any of our other midfielders that aren't Dobson.

Basically Jackson should be doing better and I'd rather we moved on from him and the entire coaching team before we waste another season, which we will if we are forced to watch Jackson bang his head against the wall with these tactics.
    Possibly the same for a couple of the other underachievers too?
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    I know there's a few on here with some kind of contact/insight at the club, is there any feedback on what skiverton has brought to the club ? I do wonder if players are looking at him as a non league coach ? 
    You’ve got a manager with no management experience, an assistant manager who’s never been an assistant and a coach non league.

You can’t half ass it anymore at this level - either do it properly or expect this nonsense to continue.
    Not really true in this division.

Wigan - Leam Richardson's only other managerial experience was less than a full season with Accrington in 12/13
    MK Dons - Liam Manning's previous experience was a year in Belgium
    Rotherham - Paul Warne's still in his first job
    Plymouth - another in his second job, Ryan Lowe had managed Bury for a year and half

I don't know if Jackson is the right manager but I'm not ruling him out given the state of our squad. Our recruitment needs to be much better to give him a chance of doing that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He gets until October from me. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think we have to ask what the hell the January transfer window was about. I’m on record defending Chuks’ return and we’ll have to see how many games he plays next season and how many goals he gets, but the rest of it? My other concern is that I would have no confidence in a selection process to replace Jackson.
    There was one bit of business to be fair that cannot be described as "bad" and that is the £1.6m plus add ons and sell on percentage for Burstow. Had he stayed I think we would be the ones looking to loan him out for experience next season - to a League 2 or even National League side.

I'm not saying that he might not turn out to be a decent player but the fact is that the two goals he scored in the League were against two sides in the relegation zone namely Crewe (relegated) and Fleetwood (4th bottom). His other goals were against Crawley, Villa U21s, Havant & Waterlooville and Hartlepool. To be fair to him, I also do not believe that he's had his head turned or that the move has made him a different person. I just do not think that he is as good (yet) as some people wanted to believe that he was earlier in the season.  

If he does "kick on" so much the better because we will do financially OK (but possibly not well) out of it but the jury is very much out on that count to the extent that I doubt that anyone would really have him back next season as one of the four strikers to get us promoted - I've just checked Statbank for the season and his average prior to today's game was 5.06 and that puts him in 23rd place.

To get £1.6m now was great business. Whether we used that money well in January is a whole different debate. I actually said at the time that I didn't think that bringing Aneke back was good business because of the way that he has to be used. However, if we were to sign a proven goal scorer in addition to Stockley and Washington with Aneke as the impact sub then that would probably still work.
    Fair comment. I was looking at the players who came in to assist Jackson.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Anyone that was at that game at Dagenham a few years ago would have said the same about SCP

The club needs a major shake up and if JJ knows why he wants player wise then he deserves a shot next season

Lots of arrogance around our support at the moment, we are where we are just because  we are bigger and better than the likes of Barnsley Millwall Peterbro etc it doesn’t mean we have a right to me at that level

As a club our natural position is probably where Millwall are now 

I have no doubt we will get there In the next 2 seasons 
  • Options
    Whoever you bring in surely needs 18 months, to keep changing managers is ridiculous.  With this in mind we need to give Jackson a crack, his win ratio suggests that.
    Sandgaard needs to let Jackson have a real go at it.
  • Options
    Anyone that was at that game at Dagenham a few years ago would have said the same about SCP

The club needs a major shake up and if JJ knows why he wants player wise then he deserves a shot next season

Lots of arrogance around our support at the moment, we are where we are just because  we are bigger and better than the likes of Barnsley Millwall Peterbro etc it doesn’t mean we have a right to me at that level

Fuckwit
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    He gets until October from me. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think we have to ask what the hell the January transfer window was about. I’m on record defending Chuks’ return and we’ll have to see how many games he plays next season and how many goals he gets, but the rest of it? My other concern is that I would have no confidence in a selection process to replace Jackson.
    That’s a very good point.

We would probably get Thomas’ coach from junior school handball coming on board.
  • Options

I agree with all that mate bar the last bit. I’ve just no confidence in it bein successful. Next season will be even harder to get out of than this season. 

As for support arrogance, I think we’re just all a bit broken with it all tbh. 
  • Options
    So much understandable sentimentality surrounding Jackson; it's the Modus Operandi of the Charlton fan.

Jackson will, alas, end up like Chris Powell. A really nice chap who, sadly, is not cut out for football 'management'. Part of the coaching team, yes, but actually managing and handling all that is associated with such, no.

Ok, we all measure success differently, but, in my opinion, Jackson, like Powell, will never be cut out to be a successful manager. He has a touch of the Cowleys or Robinsons about him, a lower league merry-go-round manager. Nothing more than journeyman material.

I’ll take 101 points in L1 and ninth in the Championship. How about you?

Being a Powell fan, this was over two seasons.  What has he done since?
  • Options

I agree with all that mate bar the last bit. I’ve just no confidence in it bein successful. Next season will be even harder to get out of than this season. 

As for support arrogance, I think we’re just all a bit broken with it all tbh. 

We have been out of the money league for 15 years.  Fans still talk back to those days but it was a VERY long time ago.
    We are where we are for many reasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Lee is shit. 

Exactly the same for Akin Famewo first season everyone said he’s a must signing  so why has he fallen away so much , coaching ?
  • Options

wasn't he a part of the coaching team that got England to their first major final in 50 years..? 
  • Options

Not much really, been part of an England coaching set up that had been to the semis of the World Cup and the final of the Euros.

I am not going to get into splitting hairs, but Powell as an individual has done nothing since he left us.
    Being part of a coaching set up of how many people?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Lee is shit. 

Exactly the same for Akin Famewo first season everyone said he’s a must signing  so why has he fallen away so much , coaching ?
    Famewo isn't suited to the LCB role, the player needs to be more comfortable on the ball, a decent passer of the ball and offer something if they get forward. Playing centrally would probably work better for him.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

I think it’s enough to make it unfair to dismiss him out of hand as a manager. Quite apart from Roland, he had to deal with the Spivs and I’m not sure fans have understood the depths of that even now. They were scum. Not that I’m biased, of course.
  • Options

I think it’s enough to make it unfair to dismiss him out of hand as a manager. Quite apart from Roland, he had to deal with the Spivs and I’m not sure fans have understood the depths of that even now. They were scum. Not that I’m biased, of course.

So why has Powell not acheived further success?
  • Options
    What happens when we're another six months into the season and aren't happy with the position we're in - Do we sack the next bloke, and go again and again. 

You cant build anything within that time, and to expect that is nothing short of dilusional - If Sandgaard replaces Jackson now it'll be at the wishes of those who so demanded his appointment (apart from the fact that those have suddenly disappeared). Not to mention we'll be as much of a mess the Managerial merry go round as we ever were under Roland.

And yes I was one of the few that advised caution against those who showed similar desperation to see Bowyer sacked (Lets not pretend that fans werent offering to drive him to Portsmouth or Birmingham). As for some reason, people dont seem to grasp that whilst sacking is the easy option - You dont always end up going in the direction that you think you will. 

100%
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!