Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry but Jackson has to go.

Comments

• Options
    It should be one or the other. 

Either he gets to complete a full rebuild or he's replaced and the new guy gets a full rebuild. Either way the decision has hopefully already been made.
  • Options
    The appointment of Skiverton hasn't exactly delivered any obvious improvements, and that was entirely his choice.
  • Options
    He gets until October from me. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think we have to ask what the hell the January transfer window was about. I’m on record defending Chuks’ return and we’ll have to see how many games he plays next season and how many goals he gets, but the rest of it? My other concern is that I would have no confidence in a selection process to replace Jackson.
    There was one bit of business to be fair that cannot be described as "bad" and that is the £1.6m plus add ons and sell on percentage for Burstow. Had he stayed I think we would be the ones looking to loan him out for experience next season - to a League 2 or even National League side.

I'm not saying that he might not turn out to be a decent player but the fact is that the two goals he scored in the League were against two sides in the relegation zone namely Crewe (relegated) and Fleetwood (4th bottom). His other goals were against Crawley, Villa U21s, Havant & Waterlooville and Hartlepool. To be fair to him, I also do not believe that he's had his head turned or that the move has made him a different person. I just do not think that he is as good (yet) as some people wanted to believe that he was earlier in the season.  

If he does "kick on" so much the better because we will do financially OK (but possibly not well) out of it but the jury is very much out on that count to the extent that I doubt that anyone would really have him back next season as one of the four strikers to get us promoted - I've just checked Statbank for the season and his average prior to today's game was 5.06 and that puts him in 23rd place.

To get £1.6m now was great business. Whether we used that money well in January is a whole different debate. I actually said at the time that I didn't think that bringing Aneke back was good business because of the way that he has to be used. However, if we were to sign a proven goal scorer in addition to Stockley and Washington with Aneke as the impact sub then that would probably still work.
  • Options
    My only question is, based on the January window, who thinks Jacko will even get to construct his "own team" in the summer? He wasn't strong enough to stop 2 loanees forced upon him that he has never used, for example. 

I've seen no evidence that JJ won't have exactly the same thing happen in the summer based on the current recruitment model. Who are we kidding here??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jackson has a 49% win ratio in all competitions. He has inherited lots of rubbish like Gunter, Pearce, Matthews, gilbey and loans like lee! Given the shit he has to work with, that 49% looks pretty good. 

Give him the summer to make his mark and bring in players that fit his formation. I seriously doubt that Jackson wants to be playing Matthews and Morgan!!
    You've listed Lee as shit but he has already been promoted out of this league before and has our joint top assists with a remarkable 4 assists whilst also being our top scoring midfielder with a scarcely believable 3 goals.
  • Options
    It’s not Jacko - it’s the team playing silly buggers. 
    2-0 down and playing the ball back and forth across the back. Our obvious threat was CBT, but they either don’t play the ball to him, or they pass to him and leave him without any support. 
    Also: 
    Stop playing Burstow and other loanees - unless injury dictates.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Table since JJ took over has us 11th, is the squad really any better than that? So I think he’s done average so far results wise, but 6 games without a decent striker doesn’t help his record. 

3-5-2 will be fine once we get 3 good CBs and some wing backs in the summer. The top 7 in league 1 all play it so the formation clearly works at this level 
    Nail on head. He's playing a back 5, when you are effectively saying we need 5 new players to play successfully with a back 5. Madness.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Table since JJ took over has us 11th, is the squad really any better than that? So I think he’s done average so far results wise, but 6 games without a decent striker doesn’t help his record. 

3-5-2 will be fine once we get 3 good CBs and some wing backs in the summer. The top 7 in league 1 all play it so the formation clearly works at this level 
    Nail on head. He's playing a back 5, when you are effectively saying we need 5 new players to play successfully with a back 5. Madness.
    How is that a defence of Jackson? If anything that's a damning statement of how ludicrously stubborn he is
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    and replace him with?

he has Adkins squad, he deserves a crack at next season
    When you look at who Adkins signed in the summer (if you even believe they were Adkins signings) they were:

MacG
    Dobson
    Clare
    Stockley
    Lavelle
    CBT
    Kirk
    Henderson
    Souare

The first 6 are pretty much the mainstays of Jackson's team when fit, the likely POTY, the top scorer and one of the best performing players over recent games (CBT). So to imply he's not doing well because it's Adkins squad i think is wide of the mark. Do you think Jackson would look to get rid of any of those 6 this summer? I don't.

And he was of course Adkins assistant manager so for all we know he may even have been consulted on some of those signings anyway.

Personally i wouldn't get rid yet, i'd give him the summer window and a couple of months into next season. He absolutely needs to sign at the very least 2 wing backs, 2 centre backs, a goalscoring midfielder and a striker though. And get them early, don't be fucking around waiting until 31 August.
  • Options
    It’s not Jacko - it’s the team playing silly buggers. 
    2-0 down and playing the ball back and forth across the back. Our obvious threat was CBT, but they either don’t play the ball to him, or they pass to him and leave him without any support. 
    Also: 
    Stop playing Burstow and other loanees - unless injury dictates.
    It’s almost like the opposition team are trying to block our attempts in doing that, and because we are so one dimensional in the way we play, we can only look to move it from side to side slowly until we can drag enough players out of place to give CBT that yard he needs to get at players….
  • Options
    No one has mentioned the team's disciplinary record under Jackson. The type of bookings and sending-offs we've had are like those of petulant children and shows a lack of respect from the players to the management as well as a lack of professionalism. If the players are not prepared to respect his management why should the fans.
    I actually think Jackson is more worried about following Sandgaard's instructions than being prepared to take a chance on a different system, and is not a manager, just a coach, so this also may be a reason for the players attitude.
    Whoever the manager is next season he should be allowed to stand or fall on his own decisions.
  • Options
    Also, when we are saying he "inherited Adkins squad" is this actually the case? I thought we used a black box approach - if JJ had been the manager from the start would it have been any different to the one we got this summer? 
  • Options
    So much understandable sentimentality surrounding Jackson; it's the Modus Operandi of the Charlton fan.

Jackson will, alas, end up like Chris Powell. A really nice chap who, sadly, is not cut out for football 'management'. Part of the coaching team, yes, but actually managing and handling all that is associated with such, no.

Ok, we all measure success differently, but, in my opinion, Jackson, like Powell, will never be cut out to be a successful manager. He has a touch of the Cowleys or Robinsons about him, a lower league merry-go-round manager. Nothing more than journeyman material.

But then again, are we any better than journeyman material?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Croydon said:
    NabySarr said:

How is that a defence of Jackson? If anything that's a damning statement of how ludicrously stubborn he is
    It's not a defence from me, quite the opposite.
    It's ridiculous, once it stopped working.
    It's a bit like saying let's play 4-2-4 when you don't have a decent forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Jackson has a 49% win ratio in all competitions. He has inherited lots of rubbish like Gunter, Pearce, Matthews, gilbey and loans like lee! Given the shit he has to work with, that 49% looks pretty good. 

Give him the summer to make his mark and bring in players that fit his formation. I seriously doubt that Jackson wants to be playing Matthews and Morgan!!
    You’ve listed Gilbey and Matthews as shit, but they're two of Jackson's favourite players
    Matthews gets games because Jackson won't start with two attacking wing backs, he has always gone one attacking and one defensive. I would like to think Matthews would be surplus to requirements once a proper wing back is signed for the right.

im hoping that gilbey only plays as there isn't anyone else. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

You've listed Lee as shit but he has already been promoted out of this league before and has our joint top assists with a remarkable 4 assists whilst also being our top scoring midfielder with a scarcely believable 3 goals.
    Lee is shit. 
    He played well for the first month or so and then he just started running round in circles with the ball.
    He doesn't pass the ball well because he plays with his head down and doesn't know who is available to pass to.
  • Options
    and replace him with?

he has Adkins squad, he deserves a crack at next season
    When you look at who Adkins signed in the summer (if you even believe they were Adkins signings) they were:

MacG
    Dobson
    Clare
    Stockley
    Lavelle
    CBT
    Kirk
    Henderson
    Souare

The first 6 are pretty much the mainstays of Jackson's team when fit, the likely POTY, the top scorer and one of the best performing players over recent games (CBT). So to imply he's not doing well because it's Adkins squad i think is wide of the mark. Do you think Jackson would look to get rid of any of those 6 this summer? I don't.

And he was of course Adkins assistant manager so for all we know he may even have been consulted on some of those signings anyway.

Personally i wouldn't get rid yet, i'd give him the summer window and a couple of months into next season. He absolutely needs to sign at the very least 2 wing backs, 2 centre backs, a goalscoring midfielder and a striker though. And get them early, don't be fucking around waiting until 31 August.
    Adkins signed players for a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. Jackson has had to play players out of position as they were signed for 4-2-3-1 or even a flat back 4 under bowyer.

I honestly forgot that we had souare
  • Options
    JJ has my backing for the rest of the season and beyond ... he’s inherited this bunch and next season he will have his own recruits !
    Granted we have had a shit poor season all in but it’s not down to JJ 
  • Options
    Our wage budget/spending should have seen us top 6-8th at worst, BUT damage was done after first 13 or 28% of games saw us near bottom of the league. Being deprived of the Stockley/Washington combination for a longish spell added insult to injury on any play off ambition after JJ’s bright start. I think 6-8 new players plus a nucleus from this season will see us challenge next season, but as others have said, by October, the smell test will be complete. I wish JJ well and I hope his loyalty and long serving positive attitude toward us pays off.
  • Options
    I know there's a few on here with some kind of contact/insight at the club, is there any feedback on what skiverton has brought to the club ? I do wonder if players are looking at him as a non league coach ? 
  • Options
    I know there's a few on here with some kind of contact/insight at the club, is there any feedback on what skiverton has brought to the club ? I do wonder if players are looking at him as a non league coach ? 
    You’ve got a manager with no management experience, an assistant manager who’s never been an assistant and a coach non league.

You can’t half ass it anymore at this level - either do it properly or expect this nonsense to continue.
  • Options
    So much understandable sentimentality surrounding Jackson; it's the Modus Operandi of the Charlton fan.

Jackson will, alas, end up like Chris Powell. A really nice chap who, sadly, is not cut out for football 'management'. Part of the coaching team, yes, but actually managing and handling all that is associated with such, no.

Ok, we all measure success differently, but, in my opinion, Jackson, like Powell, will never be cut out to be a successful manager. He has a touch of the Cowleys or Robinsons about him, a lower league merry-go-round manager. Nothing more than journeyman material.

But then again, are we any better than journeyman material?
    I disagree with this post. i'd have Chris Powell back in a heartbeat
    And that is the beauty of opinion mate, it's all different. Your ying is my yang. There's no right or wrong, just differences in opinion. Imagine how banal it would be if we all agreed. The map is not the territory. 
  • Options
    Is there a record from 2011… were there similar threads about powell the end of that season? Not plugging that as reason for Jackson to stay, I love Jacko but can also see why he might be criticised… just wondering though. Would be interesting to read back @AFKABartram !!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!