Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th April 2022 - 12:30 KO

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Has it been explained why CBT was on the right, and Matthews on the left today, as it didn't work in attack or defence
    What  !!!!

Didnt hear this. Wtf was that all about. Mathews is a right back with a decent right foot & CBT has had storming games recently playing on the left.

If this really was the case then Jacko has certainly lost the plot. 
    Didn't start the game like that. He switched it after we went 2 (or 3?) down. Presumably because Burns was causing us too many problems down CBT's side.
    So we changed to accommodate them when already 2 nil down. It didnt work & we eventually let in another 2.

Perhaps the manager should try to take the game to them & let the opposition worry about our left winger instead.

That was the idea at kick off… it led to us being 2-0 down inside 15 minutes. Should we have carried on going? At what point would you start giving Jacko pelted for not changing it?
    There is a difference in changing formation & going 442 or 4312 to swapping players over to their "wrong" side so your right back is playing left back. On that basis you might just as well put Stockley in goal & Harness up front because the changes he made did fuck all - we let in another 2 goals & didnt score any ourselves. 
    Ah so it only counts if it’s a formation change. Got it.

The change had the effect that Jacko intended. We were 2-0 down in 11 minutes. They didn’t score for the rest of the first half.

They were pulling us apart and after the two players swapped wings, they had a harder time breaking us down.

Jacko later in the game threw on different attacking options as subs to get back into it but it didn’t work.
    Always going to be a problem with playing CBT as a wing back. Any decent opposition can target the space in behind him. One of the many reasons I am dreading going into another season with Jackson in charge.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    What a contrast from Neil Harris interview on Sky earlier,proper laying in to the Gills squad…that’s what JJ shoulda been saying to this shower of crap
    Maybe he is behind closed doors?
  • Options
    We can’t even use the excuse they we had a player or two sent off, and it turned the game!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Croydon said:
    The strikers we currently have won’t fire us to promotion. Obviously JJ thinks they will. 
    They will if we get the rest of the team right.
    Debatable. They miss too many chances 
    All strikers miss more than they score. Even Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar & Benzema. At L1 this bunch with better service should be fine. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    We lost.

Half-heartedly 

Everything Ipswich were, pacey, slick, tactically aware, clinical, strong, with good movement and good team play, committed, motivated; we were not.

We arrived early and parked 10 yards from the away turnstiles for £5.  That was the highlight of the day's football and made the decision to leave early, something we never do, inevitable.

Good riddance to what IIRC is our joint 6th worst football league season ever.

• Options
    Maybe mentioned previous on this thread, but I’m too hung over to read all the way through - but when I left on 75 mins, I nipped into the gents for a pee, before legging it to the station to get on an early train - yet again I note we have some wank away fans - toilets in the away end smashed over - just mindless vandalism ☹️
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    The strikers we currently have won’t fire us to promotion. Obviously JJ thinks they will. 
    All strikers miss more than they score. Even Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar & Benzema. At L1 this bunch with better service should be fine. 
    Aren't they are both in the top 5 for big chances missed? I don't know how much more proof people need that they're not good enough as a pair for promotion. The service isn't the issue, its the fact they both missed sitters yesterday from inside 8 yards again 

Using Cabbles' logic about knowing deep down that our players won't improve - we've had these two as starting front men for two seasons now and have failed both times to make the top 6. Why do we believe next season they'll suddenly both put in the record scoring seasons of their career? 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Aren't they are both in the top 5 for big chances missed? I don't know how much more proof people need that they're not good enough as a pair for promotion. The service isn't the issue, its the fact they both missed sitters yesterday from inside 8 yards again 
    I mean the Stockley chance was a good header just a few cm high, Washington's confidence seems shot too.

How many shots did we have yesterday in total? 10. How many did Ipswich have? 21. We need to provide them more opportunities, fwiw Ipswich missed several easier chances than our two.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Thank god we lost today , if Jackson needed a timely reminder of our shit we are !
    if we’d have sneaked a 0-0 we would have been left with same rubbish next season .
    The worst season ever after 55 years never been so depressed , no heroes , no Steve browns, no style or effort , hate all of them right now.
    Player of the year ffs 
    I agree with this in a way.  I don’t know if Jackson genuinely believes we have a good ‘nucleus of players’ to build the squad around next season because there may be an element of him having to say that knowing he’s likely to have a number of them still here, despite not being good enough.

I just don’t see how you can think the core of what we have is good enough without major additions.  I probably sound like a broken record, but I’m going to highlight it again, Alex Gilbey is a great example.  Personally, I’ve always said he’s a nothing player and just not good enough, but there have been a number of fans who (respectfully) have taken the opposite opinion.  In recent weeks and months, I think there have been more and more people that have started to realise/highlight his limitations.  I think Garry Manilow (one example), said you wish/want him to do well, but you realise he’s never going to push us on, and eventually you have to give up on him.

We have to give up on a lot of these players.  They’re just not good enough.  This nucleus bollocks is tiring.  Dobson maybe.  CBT is okay.  That’s two players.  After that, Stockley is effective in his own way.  Clare was someone I thought had grown into his role, but as the season has gone on, I could take him or leave him.  We whip ourselves up into the excitable paradigm of hope when Morgan pops up with the odd assist all telling ourselves there’s still a player in there and maybe.

there are no maybe’s with this bunch.  What the hell do you think Gilbey is going to differently next season to this?  Is Morgan suddenly going to consistently deliver the types of performances Aribo put in 3 years ago, week in week out.  Is Aneke going to turn into Lyle Taylor or Kermorgant?  Is the warrior Pearce going to be able legitimately hold his own as part of a regular back 3.  Can Ben Purrington become Rhoys Wiggins and add a potent angle to our attack?  

The answer is no.  You know it, I know it.  I suspect Jackson knows it as well, or at least I hope he does.  I worry TS doesn’t know it.  It’s a shame because you cannot fault him for what he has contributed financially.  We’re very lucky he came in and saved us from the abyss, but at the same time it’s just not clicking.  He’s enthusiastic, has sunk a lot of money into the club and is a good guy.  However, he’s going to have to sink even more money in this summer if he wants a team even capable of a sniff of promotion. 

His company has lost half its stock market value since he took over so I doubt he will be feeling  very generous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Not sure that's true to the extent people say it is. Stockley and Washington are the only two strikers in league one who are in the top 10 for big chances missed and not in the top 10 for goals scored.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Has it been explained why CBT was on the right, and Matthews on the left today, as it didn't work in attack or defence
    What  !!!!

Didnt hear this. Wtf was that all about. Mathews is a right back with a decent right foot & CBT has had storming games recently playing on the left.

If this really was the case then Jacko has certainly lost the plot. 
    Didn't start the game like that. He switched it after we went 2 (or 3?) down. Presumably because Burns was causing us too many problems down CBT's side.
    So we changed to accommodate them when already 2 nil down. It didnt work & we eventually let in another 2.

Perhaps the manager should try to take the game to them & let the opposition worry about our left winger instead.
    Bit hard to do that when they're running absolute rings round you
    It might well have been 6-0 if they hadn't changed the formation unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    After sleeping on it I thought I'd  highlight the positives from the match.

1. I suspect Ipswich are currently one of the best teams in League One. Obviously they haven't been over the whole season, but I think they may be now, based on current form and quality of players. And tactical awareness too. Possibly THE best team in the league. Although that's based on a match when they played us, not at our best.
    2. Great cross by CBT, for Stockley to hit the crossbar from five feet out.
    3. Matthews had an alright game.

That's it.
  • Options
    on the walk back (along the river Orwell walk) to the hotel, I got chatting with sone 'Swich fans .. I asked if they always played that well, the consensus was that that was out of the ordinary, of course it was they said, otherwise they would be in the top places .. however, the most damning consensus was that we were so poor all round that we allowed them to look so good .. they were not being mean or arrogant, they saw the game pretty much the way I saw it .. also of course, Ipswich have some VERY good players who we made look like world beaters 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Thank god we lost today , if Jackson needed a timely reminder of our shit we are !
    if we’d have sneaked a 0-0 we would have been left with same rubbish next season .
    The worst season ever after 55 years never been so depressed , no heroes , no Steve browns, no style or effort , hate all of them right now.
    Player of the year ffs 
    I agree with this in a way.  I don’t know if Jackson genuinely believes we have a good ‘nucleus of players’ to build the squad around next season because there may be an element of him having to say that knowing he’s likely to have a number of them still here, despite not being good enough.

I just don’t see how you can think the core of what we have is good enough without major additions.  I probably sound like a broken record, but I’m going to highlight it again, Alex Gilbey is a great example.  Personally, I’ve always said he’s a nothing player and just not good enough, but there have been a number of fans who (respectfully) have taken the opposite opinion.  In recent weeks and months, I think there have been more and more people that have started to realise/highlight his limitations.  I think Garry Manilow (one example), said you wish/want him to do well, but you realise he’s never going to push us on, and eventually you have to give up on him.

We have to give up on a lot of these players.  They’re just not good enough.  This nucleus bollocks is tiring.  Dobson maybe.  CBT is okay.  That’s two players.  After that, Stockley is effective in his own way.  Clare was someone I thought had grown into his role, but as the season has gone on, I could take him or leave him.  We whip ourselves up into the excitable paradigm of hope when Morgan pops up with the odd assist all telling ourselves there’s still a player in there and maybe.

there are no maybe’s with this bunch.  What the hell do you think Gilbey is going to differently next season to this?  Is Morgan suddenly going to consistently deliver the types of performances Aribo put in 3 years ago, week in week out.  Is Aneke going to turn into Lyle Taylor or Kermorgant?  Is the warrior Pearce going to be able legitimately hold his own as part of a regular back 3.  Can Ben Purrington become Rhoys Wiggins and add a potent angle to our attack?  

The answer is no.  You know it, I know it.  I suspect Jackson knows it as well, or at least I hope he does.  I worry TS doesn’t know it.  It’s a shame because you cannot fault him for what he has contributed financially.  We’re very lucky he came in and saved us from the abyss, but at the same time it’s just not clicking.  He’s enthusiastic, has sunk a lot of money into the club and is a good guy.  However, he’s going to have to sink even more money in this summer if he wants a team even capable of a sniff of promotion. 
    Nailed it.
  • Options
    Stockley's header that hit the bar was nearing an open goal miss.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

1. I suspect Ipswich are currently one of the best teams in League One. Obviously they haven't been over the whole season, but I think they may be now, based on current form and quality of players. And tactical awareness too. Possibly THE best team in the league. Although that's based on a match when they played us, not at our best.

That's it.
    On point 1 yesterday was probably the best match to play yesterday. We come up against the league favourites next season and got torn a part. Could have been any score yesterday. Plus Ipswich are probably going to be looking for a new front 4 with Bonne, Norwood, Piggot and Jackson leaving. It shows how much work we need to do it be anywhere near that level.

We are miles away from being a top 2 side. Not expecting a Powell like summer or Wigan summer. Excluding the out of contract players, would anyone take DJ or Gilbey off us as neither of them are anywhere near top 2 players. Been counting down for the article about contracts renewals for last 3 months or so.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    I mean the Stockley chance was a good header just a few cm high, Washington's confidence seems shot too.

How many shots did we have yesterday in total? 10. How many did Ipswich have? 21. We need to provide them more opportunities, fwiw Ipswich missed several easier chances than our two.
    Stockley missed, you don't get anything for only missing by a few cms, it's still a miss. Washington blazed it over from 8 yards, he has to hit the target at the very least.

• Options
    Yesterdays performance was equal to many of our performances this season UTTERLY SHITE.
    I cannot remember a team that misses so many chances.
    I feel for JJ although I do not agree with all of his ideas, but blame the owner for lack of investment and bullshit promises 👎👎👎
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    cabbles said:
    Player of the year ffs 

His company has lost half its stock market value since he took over so I doubt he will be feeling  very generous.
    This is a good point.  And there’s probably an element of his thinking that he’s given a lot already and not got value for his money.  Now I know you could argue he hasn’t ran the club correctly to see that return (the recruitment, appointing Adkins), however, if I were him he could reasonably argue that DJ, Kirk, Fraser and Stockley were all bought for decent size transfer fees 

It will be very interesting to watch what he does over the summer.  We all know (because we understand football and have seen what it
    takes to get promoted) what a good side looks like/needs to look like - this lot are miles off - but given I think he (my personal opinion) doesn’t know what good likes like, there may be a disparity between what he needs to spend (again) vs what he thinks he needs to put in 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leaving aside the missed header, as heading is overall a major strength of his, the problem with Stockley is that he's so one dimensional

It's all very well blaming the wingbacks or Morgan for not creating more chances, but if he was more mobile and able to move into space, he would get on more chances.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

That's it.
    On point 1 yesterday was probably the best match to play yesterday. We come up against the league favourites next season and got torn a part. Could have been any score yesterday. Plus Ipswich are probably going to be looking for a new front 4 with Bonne, Norwood, Piggot and Jackson leaving. It shows how much work we need to do it be anywhere near that level.

We are miles away from being a top 2 side. Not expecting a Powell like summer or Wigan summer. Excluding the out of contract players, would anyone take DJ or Gilbey off us as neither of them are anywhere near top 2 players. Been counting down for the article about contracts renewals for last 3 months or so.

On Quest yesterday Ali Maxwell really fancied Ipswich for next season, with the way McKenna has got them playing and knowing they will strengthen up top.
  • Options
    Leaving aside the missed header, as heading is overall a major strength of his, the problem with Stockley is that he's so one dimensional

It's all very well blaming the wingbacks or Morgan for not creating more chances, but if he was more mobile and able to move into space, he would get on more chances.
    He also wouldn't be playing for us.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    Yesterdays performance was equal to many of our performances this season UTTERLY SHITE.
    I cannot remember a team that misses so many chances.
    I feel for JJ although I do not agree with all of his ideas, but blame the owner for lack of investment and bullshit promises 👎👎👎
    Lack of investment? He has invested badly but hasn't lacked investment
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Scoham said:

Stockton is a more mobile and technical version of Stockley. There are good strikers in this league who can play football. I feel like we are just accepting average players when we take this view. 

If Jayden was more mobile I still doubt he'd be playing in the Championship because he is so poor technically.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    What a contrast from Neil Harris interview on Sky earlier,proper laying in to the Gills squad…that’s what JJ shoulda been saying to this shower of crap
    To be fair to Jackson, there’s no chance Harris is sticking around at Gillingham and the implications against Scully and their ownership in that interview has pretty much guaranteed that. Johnny wants to be here for a while yet and a lot of the players will still be around next season so he wasn’t going to call them out too much. 

Also, whether we like or not, it’s not really his style to put the boot in even after they haven’t performed. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    cabbles said:
    Player of the year ffs 

So you mean CAFC Ltd? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:

Stockton is a more mobile and technical version of Stockley. There are good strikers in this league who can play football. I feel like we are just accepting average players when we take this view. 

If Jayden was more mobile I still doubt he'd be playing in the Championship because he is so poor technically.
    Agree there are but they don’t stay at this level for long. I expect Stockton to move to one of the bigger clubs in the league and if he continues to perform he’ll end up in the Championship one way or another.

We should be aiming to bring in a better striker than our main three. Poor recruitment has been my main issue this season, so I wouldn’t say I’m accepting of average players.

On Stockley, if he was more mobile I’d see him being a bit like Magennis, getting the odd season in the Championship before dropping back down to L1.
  • Options
    Funds are obviously limited. Keep all the players, spend every penny on management with ideas. In the words of Irvin Berlin : "you'd be surprised"...
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:

But doesn't that stat also prove how wasteful they are?

In 21 chances Ipswich managed 4 goals
    In 10 we managed 0

We scored 0 goals in half the amount of chances, following that logic, we'd only mange to score 2 from their 21.

Yes we need.to.create more chances for the forwards, but putting David Silva behind Stockley and Washington won't suddenly turn them into goal machines. Looking at their scoring records gives a clearer look at their ability, neither have been massively prolific at any team around the league's.

Both are good as the second/ supporting forward (unless you go all in on hoof and cross ball for Stockley) both have attributes that a real goal scorer would love playing alongside, but these two together, on their own...... Could put 4 of the best playmakers of the last 10 years behind them and Washington would still place a strike straight at the keeper.