Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th April 2022 - 12:30 KO

Comments

• Options
    A statement needs to be made with a number of signings on the 10th June. 

Another summer of waiting around for 'good deals' and we'll end up with the same lot we had this season. 

We could but we need a new song first.
  • Options

Positives:
    Ipswich isn't very far from Norwich and was back in the 'fine city' by 3:35.
    The Cricketers 'spoons' prior to the game.

Negatives:
    The game itself; awful from a CAFC perspective.
    The moronic, immature cretins who thought it was cool to smash up the posters and their frames in the E block concourse just before half time. Bravo to you if you're reading this. And if you're the bloke in the 70s-esque vomit green fila top, grow up!

• Options
    Well, there was some great gallows humour in the away end today...

But that was embarrassing on the pitch. We were comprehensively outplayed today. Ipswich were so much better as an attacking force, passing and moving really well but ALSO were much better defensively, pressing us really well. Despite both of us being midtable teams with nothing to play for, they looked like a promotion team whereas we looked like a relegation team . Yes they have better players, but they looked far better coached too. The quality of their football was far better than anything we've managed this season.
  • Options
    Same as always, late to press and close, late to react, late to the party

• Options
    Has it been explained why CBT was on the right, and Matthews on the left today, as it didn't work in attack or defence
  • Options
    Rebuild needs to start NOW with post mortems of the season being taken with all the management team and senior football staff.

There is no excuse for what went on this season. No-one should be going away for a well earned break until a recovery plan is well and truly laid out, and the start undertaken.
    Sounds like they started their unearned break last week. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    paulfox said:
    LouisMend said:
    “I think we’ve got a good core that will be coming back to us next season"

Well that tells you all that you need to know
    I guarentee he includes the likes of Gilbey and MacGillivray in that which is as worrying as the 4-0 today. 
    He also said (possibly not word for word as I can't find the article)) the other day on "Londonnewsonline" that our strikers are top class & he's not really looking to improve that area, there's other positions with a higher priority.
    I really hope your pulling our pissers there charltonbob!!!😬 no more new strikers would be criminal!!
    I wish I was ! ................. well erm.....not actually pulling your pisser of course. 

He did say something along the lines of our top class strikers & maybe we'll be looking at back up, but other positions are higher priority. (I think it was tues/weds I read that)  I've said it before & I'll say it again, I believe we'll be having this same conversation this time next year. I (sadly) have no confidence in JJ. 
    I agree with him that other positions are higher priority. Yes, it'd be nice to have another free-scoring striker, but the midfield have contributed hardly any goals themselves, haven't been great creatively and have been fairly bad at winning and retaining possession with the exception of Dobson. And don't get me started on the defence...
    So what's your opinion on the defence Ali ?
  • Options
    So glad I cashed in my top half finish bet later part of January.

This result certainly diminishes any crap talk of we only need a couple of new signings and keep player X as a squad player.

The midfield has been non existence all this season bar the odd blink and to be honest it was crap last season as well, how we finished 7th then amazes me.   

• Options
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:
    This feels like a slightly deranged take from Jackson. Awful lot of patting himself on the back for a manager who finished 13th in League One, as low as we've gone. It's true that we were in the drop zone when he took over from an even more abject managerial performance (where he was assistant manager) but 4 wins in 5 wasn't long followed by 6 losses in 7 and no wins. 1 point from a possible 21. We've been turned over by Morecambe, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Accrington, Crewe and, remarkably, Hartlepool. He seems awfully proud of 'sticking to his guns' in a way that's seen us concede three at home against Morecambe and get absolutely banjaxed by Oxford and Ipswich. He's deflected a lot Sandgaard's way ahead of next season, but he's hardly had Scott Fraser purring and his refusal to even consider using the loans properly has made him look a bit weird really, in addition to his tactics not looking like they're making much sense. I think I would have preferred to see a bit more realistic self-reflection rather than bullish pride there, but we'll see.
    There is a definite trend amongst modern coaches that they stick to their principles no matter what. You hear managers all the time nowadays insisting they will stick to their way of playing and it won't change regardless of results etc, that includes coaches in the Premier League right down to the bottoms of the football pyramid.

Not saying that's the right way to go about things but most coaches are the same nowadays. They pick a system of play and stick to it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has it been explained why CBT was on the right, and Matthews on the left today, as it didn't work in attack or defence
    They started on their usual flanks, but were swapped around 2-0 I think.
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Abject performance.  Totally let down those of us that went.  Glad this season is over.  Best part was seeing @SE7toSG3 for the first time for a while 
    Good to see you mate, the team didn't deserve the support, shocking game, great day. 

PS you lad has grown up! 
  • Options
    Where is the New Den exactly?
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:
    This feels like a slightly deranged take from Jackson. Awful lot of patting himself on the back for a manager who finished 13th in League One, as low as we've gone. It's true that we were in the drop zone when he took over from an even more abject managerial performance (where he was assistant manager) but 4 wins in 5 wasn't long followed by 6 losses in 7 and no wins. 1 point from a possible 21. We've been turned over by Morecambe, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Accrington, Crewe and, remarkably, Hartlepool. He seems awfully proud of 'sticking to his guns' in a way that's seen us concede three at home against Morecambe and get absolutely banjaxed by Oxford and Ipswich. He's deflected a lot Sandgaard's way ahead of next season, but he's hardly had Scott Fraser purring and his refusal to even consider using the loans properly has made him look a bit weird really, in addition to his tactics not looking like they're making much sense. I think I would have preferred to see a bit more realistic self-reflection rather than bullish pride there, but we'll see.
    I agree with most of what you say but with regards to the loans & I'm talking about Johns & the chelsea bloke (can't even remember his name) I'm guessing that neither were Jacksons choices or surely they would have played. So who did choose who came in & did JJ not play them because he was making a point ? Actually I think the chelsea bloke played one game but he's so poor chelsea offered him to us  on a free transfer to help out with having 6 loan players on the books & we turned them down ? All seems a bit strange to me.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Big support and coins spent !
    Think that’s my worse away defeat ! 
    Anyone got better or worse ? 
    Brighton 7-0
    https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?101575-Brighton-7-Charlton-0-1983-Were-you-there-I-wasn-t
  • Options
    They started on their usual flanks, but were swapped around 2-0 I think.
    until they swapped Ipswich were causing havoc down their right, our  left wing with Burns, who eventually scored twice, especially dangerous .. Blackett Taylor is a good attacker on his day, a wing back he is not .. Matthews was steady and was one of our best today, which is not saying a lot
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:
    I agree with most of what you say but with regards to the loans & I'm talking about Johns & the chelsea bloke (can't even remember his name) I'm guessing that neither were Jacksons choices or surely they would have played. So who did choose who came in & did JJ not play them because he was making a point ? Actually I think the chelsea bloke played one game but he's so poor chelsea offered him to us  on a free transfer to help out with having 6 loan players on the books & we turned them down ? All seems a bit strange to me.
    Well by all accounts John was brought in before we knew we had Fraser. Fraser then got Covid and proceeded to not have a single good game for us. John came highly rated, including by Chris Powell who knows a thing or two about identifying good players for Charlton, with the intention of him filling a spot where we had a gap even with Fraser signed, but didn't get a single minute despite Fraser not being at it and our midfield consisting of Alex Gilbey over and over again. I've tried so hard to like Gilbey but there's a point where you have to give up, and watching our slim hopes of Play-Offs fade away with a midfield of Dobson, Morgan and Gilbey when we had a player who might have been able to contribute was frankly a bit mad. Castillo didn't get much of a chance either. Sounds like Bowyer didn't like him either but during the period where we didn't have CBT we played DJ and Purrington at LWB to no effect with a LWB sat kicking his heels. It felt like Jackson pushing back against being presented with players, and the overall victims of that are us poor bastards having to watch what was served up instead.
  • Options
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but Steve Brown was saying that we’re a Pool 2 club when it comes to the transfer window, as we don’t pay the wages required to get the better players. Sort of knew that already, but it was a stark reminder of where we are. I’ve renewed our season tickets, but I’m half expecting more of the same next season. Would love it if things turn out differently of course. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Big support and coins spent !
    Think that’s my worse away defeat ! 
    Anyone got better or worse ? 
    Huddersfield 5-0 followed by Hull 6-0 consecutive away games within four days of one another January 2016😩.  

With the Colchester cup defeat kicking the week from hell off! Thankfully I only went to 2 of those games.

Though even then, the league games were in a higher division than we are in now. Getting smacked in the Championship is one thing, getting smacked in L1 another...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    paulfox said:
    LouisMend said:
    “I think we’ve got a good core that will be coming back to us next season"

Well that tells you all that you need to know
    I guarentee he includes the likes of Gilbey and MacGillivray in that which is as worrying as the 4-0 today. 
    He also said (possibly not word for word as I can't find the article)) the other day on "Londonnewsonline" that our strikers are top class & he's not really looking to improve that area, there's other positions with a higher priority.
    I really hope your pulling our pissers there charltonbob!!!😬 no more new strikers would be criminal!!
    I wish I was ! ................. well erm.....not actually pulling your pisser of course. 

He did say something along the lines of our top class strikers & maybe we'll be looking at back up, but other positions are higher priority. (I think it was tues/weds I read that)  I've said it before & I'll say it again, I believe we'll be having this same conversation this time next year. I (sadly) have no confidence in JJ. 
    I agree with him that other positions are higher priority. Yes, it'd be nice to have another free-scoring striker, but the midfield have contributed hardly any goals themselves, haven't been great creatively and have been fairly bad at winning and retaining possession with the exception of Dobson. And don't get me started on the defence...
    Totally agree but lets say that Dobson is almost guaranteed a starting spot although there has been no mention of an extension to his contract so who knows. Fraser was signed for 500K (apparently) so I expect he's a guaranteed starter. CBT seems very much in favour & creates a fair bit with his runs down the wing & has contributed a couple of goals so I expect he'll be a starter & we have JFC if we take up his option Morgan & Gilbey unless we can move them on & Sean Clare possibly depending on what happens at the back. So I think we might bring in one starter in midfield & the main business will be done in defence. Sandgaard has said we only need 2-5 signings + some loans. Obviously we'll bring in a number of new bodies but I think the starting eleven next year will look fairly familiar.
  • Options
    I am very sorry to say this after 50 years supporting Charlton and a season ticket holder since 2000.
    but I think if we replicate this season next season I am off.
    I think our Rock N Roll owner could be full of shit, or he has a fairy godmother waiting in the wings, premier league my Arse as this pile of shite are below league one top 10.
    An utter disgrace 👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎
  • Options
    The strikers we currently have won’t fire us to promotion. Obviously JJ thinks they will. 
    No doubt we’ll be signing at least one in the summer which might not be the case if Jackson thought we have enough.
  • Options
    Morgan and Gilbey is a decent pairing. 

If you are non league 
    Step forward Skiverton
  • Options
    As mentioned by others, they started on their usual sides but we went 2-0 down after 15 minutes so Jacko swapped their wings so Matthews could do a job on Burns while CBT now had a more defensive player to handle on the other flank.

Like us, Ipswich set up with an attacking wing back on one side (Burns on the right) with a defensive minded player on the other (Penney on the left).

The way we had set up, we were intent on playing our way, attacker vs attacker on the left and defender vs defender on the right.

In the first 15 mins, all the way was down our left hand side and it was clear that Burns was getting the better of CBT so Jackson switched it over to the stem the tide.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    The strikers we currently have won’t fire us to promotion. Obviously JJ thinks they will. 
    No doubt we’ll be signing at least one in the summer which might not be the case if Jackson thought we have enough.
    I'm sure we'll probably bring one in, possibly a loan but from what I read Jackson doesn't think we can improve on the 3 that we have.
  • Options
    They will if we get the rest of the team right.
  • Options
    What a way to sign off a very poor season… Little real fight today. Some of the defending or rather positioning was absolutely awful. We really do need a clear out while leaving a small core from which to build upon. Keep Clare, Lavelle, CBT, DJ, JFC, Fraser, Dobson, Stockley, Chuks, AMB and Washington - jury very much out on every other player. Most should be moved on, a couple loaned out eg Morgan and Elewere.
  • Options
    Truly awful performance. Players looked knackered and uninterested. Roll on a major clear-out during the summer. But I’m not holding my my breath.