Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th April 2022 - 12:30 KO

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Thankfully this season is finally over. Yesterday was just typical of the lacklustre disappointing displays we’ve had since last August.
    Absolute dire yesterday, not worth discussing, the player clearly know their time is running out at Charlton and jogged round accordingly. 

• Options
    Maybe mentioned previous on this thread, but I’m too hung over to read all the way through - but when I left on 75 mins, I nipped into the gents for a pee, before legging it to the station to get on an early train - yet again I note we have some wank away fans - toilets in the away end smashed over - just mindless vandalism ☹️
    And Charlton will probably foot the bill (which is usual).
  • Options
    It's interesting how many reviews have mentioned that we have nothing to play for, yet neither did Ipswich did they? They finished the season 11th. We finished 13th. 

Add to the mix that they had not won in their previous 5 games, but suddenly they are being referenced as the best team in L1 (as from next season). Worryingly, we did not have many players out injured. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    se9addick said:
    Disgraceful. 

Amazingly bad end to a dreadful season. Couldn’t care less if I never see any of those players in a Charlton shirt ever again. 
    If JJ thinks we have good core then I suspect you will be seeing quite a few of them.
  • Options
    Let's narrow this down, how many Charlton fans that are plumbers went to Ipswich?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    JJ must be given the opportunity to have at least one full season in charge. And he should also have a Q&A with fans in order to explain why he always, consistently, perversely, obstinately, inexplicably, INFURIATINGLY plays the same formation week in week out.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Big support and coins spent !
    Think that’s my worse away defeat ! 
    Anyone got better or worse ? 
    Huddersfield 5-0 followed by Hull 6-0 consecutive away games within four days of one another January 2016😩.  
    as Bob Hope sang .. Thanks for the Memories lol
    Lincsaddick, are you the chap with the huge cafc flag on the main road out of Horncastle by any chance? 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    After sleeping on it I thought I'd  highlight the positives from the match.

1. I suspect Ipswich are currently one of the best teams in League One. Obviously they haven't been over the whole season, but I think they may be now, based on current form and quality of players. And tactical awareness too. Possibly THE best team in the league. Although that's based on a match when they played us, not at our best.
    2. Great cross by CBT, for Stockley to hit the crossbar from five feet out.
    3. Matthews had an alright game.

That's it.
    Ipswich are not very high in the form table for last 10 games and the reason they faded from the play off race is that they don't score enough.  They have rarely scored more than 1 goal a game even since the new manager came in and turned their form around. They built their uptick on not conceding.

As for Matthews, he fell over whilst running with the ball towards his own goal leaving them with a simple run on our goal.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Big support and coins spent !
    Think that’s my worse away defeat ! 
    Anyone got better or worse ? 
    Huddersfield 5-0 followed by Hull 6-0 consecutive away games within four days of one another January 2016😩.  
    as Bob Hope sang .. Thanks for the Memories lol
    Lincsaddick, are you the chap with the huge cafc flag on the main road out of Horncastle by any chance? 
    no mate, I live a long way north of Horncastle, the antiques centre of Lincolnshire .. there are a few Addicks about the county, mainly in the south, I am near Grimsby, Mariners territory with a few Prem fans chucked in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    After sleeping on it I thought I'd  highlight the positives from the match.

1. I suspect Ipswich are currently one of the best teams in League One. Obviously they haven't been over the whole season, but I think they may be now, based on current form and quality of players. And tactical awareness too. Possibly THE best team in the league. Although that's based on a match when they played us, not at our best.
    2. Great cross by CBT, for Stockley to hit the crossbar from five feet out.
    3. Matthews had an alright game.

That's it.
    Ipswich are not very high in the form table for last 10 games and the reason they faded from the play off race is that they don't score enough.  They have rarely scored more than 1 goal a game even since the new manager came in and turned their form around. They built their uptick on not conceding.

As for Matthews, he fell over whilst running with the ball towards his own goal leaving them with a simple run on our goal.
    Yes, it’ll be interesting to see how Ipswich do next season. They looked good on Saturday, but they missed some simple chances, and we probably should have scored a couple, which doesn’t say a lot for the defence. But their passing and general play was very slick, certainly compared to ours. 
    And yes, Matthews fell over, and that happens, but generally I thought he had an ok game. But he’s not a wing back, so I don’t see how he can fit JJ’s plans. 
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    Yesterdays performance was equal to many of our performances this season UTTERLY SHITE.
    I cannot remember a team that misses so many chances.
    I feel for JJ although I do not agree with all of his ideas, but blame the owner for lack of investment and bullshit promises 👎👎👎
    Lack of investment? He has invested badly but hasn't lacked investment
    Bad investments on bad advice. Not his fault. He meant well.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    My third Ipswich away game 1981, 2014,2022,  three loses, no goals 2-0,3-0,4-0….. Despite the latest capitulation, I enjoyed the day out, fantastic support, gallows humour, the "Forest Green chant" & "Hold up your shoes if you love Charlton" made me laugh.Downside was the lack of effort, passion, tactics & basic skills… shown by our players, was I expecting anything else - Nope, am I concerned Yes. Sadly we have the Wrong owner, manager, players & formation to get us out of this division. But there's zero I can do but continue to show my support, the owner, manager and this bunch of players will move on and hopefully Charlton will still be here to support. Lets face it we've experienced worst owners, losing the Valley, etc. I'll re-new my season ticket & enjoy the summer  off and we go again in August.
    One plus has been the continued and excellent coverage on Charlton TV - professional, knowledgeable & entertaining. It's a shame the football team, don’t mirror the passion of the commentary team Greg, Tel & Brownie and professionalism of Minto & Curbs. Big summer ahead work starts now, I just hope Sandguard takes his avaitators off, packs away his guitar, he can play at being a Metallica tribute wedding band but Charlton isn't some hobby it means alot to so many of us, its time to get serious, bring in the right people, players and fix the mess were in..... Sandguard the buck stops with you.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Now that the dust has settled, a 4-0 defeat could be the best result for us. It was no fun watching it, but a lot of the season hasn't been fun.
  • Options
    Has this been mentioned ? .. WHY on the last game of the season against a team that wears blue did we wear a white and black kit .. w t f is wrong with red and white ? .. sales promotion ? ..  does the shop have a big stock of unsold white away shirts it's trying to shift ?
  • Options
    Has this been mentioned ? .. WHY on the last game of the season against a team that wears blue did we wear a white and black kit .. w t f is wrong with red and white ? .. sales promotion ? ..  does the shop have a big stock of unsold white away shirts it's trying to shift ?
    They were thinking of us oldies Lincs with black and white TVs 😉
  • Options
    Perhaps the hues are too close when they analyse them to check for colour blindness clashes?
  • Options
    Thought the same, really dislike that kit too.
  • Options
    I fear your next season will be much the same as this one.

A 24 point gap from the playoffs, a manager who hasn't proven anything at this level and a group of players that have little to no connection with the fans.

League One is as tough as it's ever been. The current 3rd - 11th place teams (bar whoever wins the playoffs) will all be competing for the top places next season. Maybe one or two will fall away but if they do, Derby, Barnsley and Peterborough will surely be there or thereabouts.

Sandgaard for all his optimism has shown himself to be naive at best and incompetent at worst. 

Maybe you will have a monster transfer window and JJ will be the new Leam Richardson but it seems much more likely that you will have another year of mediocrity. I hope not as CAFC should be up there next season but I feel like fans know when their club is going in the right direction and judging from the general consensus on here, that is not the case. 

Sorry to be a downer but that's my outside perspective on things, as they stand. Come August you might be looking much better!