Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th April 2022 - 12:30 KO

Comments

• Options
    I'm not at all sure that Jacko is the man to be in charge next season. Terrific player and a really decent bloke but does he have the nous and luck to succeed? Whoever is the boss has to focus first of all on our dodgy defence. Ipswich could/should have scored at least two more goals today. Not many tier 3 clubs will be spending big dosh on players this summer, Derby (with new owners) will be the exception.
  • Options
    My son was at the game and texted me, "Hopefully a big rebuild to come but I still don't think it will be enough. 4-0 was at least what was deserved for a team who are being very well coached against one who isn't. They are going places next year and today showed how far away we are from that level".

• Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    The strikers we currently have won’t fire us to promotion. Obviously JJ thinks they will. 
    Does he or has he been told that's what he has got?

Adkins, to be fair, talked everything up when he knew it was a shot shower.  Maybe Jackson is just doing the same to keep his job.  I wouldn't blame him if he was. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    The strikers we currently have won’t fire us to promotion. Obviously JJ thinks they will. 
    No doubt we’ll be signing at least one in the summer which might not be the case if Jackson thought we have enough.
    No doubt we should be, very much doubt whether we will or not.  Josh Davison? 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I hadn't realised it was an early kick-off and wasn't aware until dad message to say 'Commiserations on result'. I was that disinterested I didn't check until 8pm. 

This season has been a bit like owning an awful dog that keeps chewing your shoes, clothes, sofa, stair carpet etc and occasionally biting you, but you persevere in the hope that they grow out of it. You take them to dog training, but the behaviour remains. All the while you look at other people's dogs with envy, as they learn new tricks and you see the owners happy proud faces and think to yourself, "should I get rid" but you aren't that kind of person. Eventually you go on holiday and escape the misery for two, calm, relaxing, stress free, weeks, but the dread sets in as your journey home begins as you just know, when you get home, it will all begin again.

Sorry guys but August is coming!! 

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Can people stop saying it's good luck to finish 13th because it means we will get promoted next season.  We did not get promoted in 17/18!!!!!

Although right now I would take promotion in 23/24 if offered. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:
    This feels like a slightly deranged take from Jackson. Awful lot of patting himself on the back for a manager who finished 13th in League One, as low as we've gone. It's true that we were in the drop zone when he took over from an even more abject managerial performance (where he was assistant manager) but 4 wins in 5 wasn't long followed by 6 losses in 7 and no wins. 1 point from a possible 21. We've been turned over by Morecambe, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Accrington, Crewe and, remarkably, Hartlepool. He seems awfully proud of 'sticking to his guns' in a way that's seen us concede three at home against Morecambe and get absolutely banjaxed by Oxford and Ipswich. He's deflected a lot Sandgaard's way ahead of next season, but he's hardly had Scott Fraser purring and his refusal to even consider using the loans properly has made him look a bit weird really, in addition to his tactics not looking like they're making much sense. I think I would have preferred to see a bit more realistic self-reflection rather than bullish pride there, but we'll see.
    This is the worry for me. I just get the sense of  'I've made it as manager now' demeanor. 

He doesn't come across as the same JJ who'd run through walls for us as a player.
    I honestly think management doesn't suit him, his ego is getting in the way. 
    I really hope I'm wrong as he will be in charge next season. 
    His career as a coach really begins now, and the players he chooses to get rid, and get in. 

I also think he needs a better back team. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Ipswich were on it, Charlton were on holiday already. Roll on next season.
  • Options
    I hadn't realised it was an early kick-off and wasn't aware until dad message to say 'Commiserations on result'. I was that disinterested I didn't check until 8pm. 

This season has been a bit like owning an awful dog that keeps chewing your shoes, clothes, sofa, stair carpet etc and occasionally biting you, but you persevere in the hope that they grow out of it. You take them to dog training, but the behaviour remains. All the while you look at other people's dogs with envy, as they learn new tricks and you see the owners happy proud faces and think to yourself, "should I get rid" but you aren't that kind of person. Eventually you go on holiday and escape the misery for two, calm, relaxing, stress free, weeks, but the dread sets in as your journey home begins as you just know, when you get home, it will all begin again.

Sorry guys but August is coming!! 

I’m afraid the season starts in July this year 😩
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    So I reckon that should be 1975 refunded away tickets along with travel expenses and some beer money which the players , Jacko and the coaching staff should all chip and pay for. TS can get his hat out and collect it.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Has it been explained why CBT was on the right, and Matthews on the left today, as it didn't work in attack or defence
    What  !!!!

Didnt hear this. Wtf was that all about. Mathews is a right back with a decent right foot & CBT has had storming games recently playing on the left.

If this really was the case then Jacko has certainly lost the plot. 
    Didn't start the game like that. He switched it after we went 2 (or 3?) down. Presumably because Burns was causing us too many problems down CBT's side.
    So we changed to accommodate them when already 2 nil down. It didnt work & we eventually let in another 2.

Perhaps the manager should try to take the game to them & let the opposition worry about our left winger instead.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Has it been explained why CBT was on the right, and Matthews on the left today, as it didn't work in attack or defence
    What  !!!!

Didnt hear this. Wtf was that all about. Mathews is a right back with a decent right foot & CBT has had storming games recently playing on the left.

Didn't start the game like that. He switched it after we went 2 (or 3?) down. Presumably because Burns was causing us too many problems down CBT's side.
    So we changed to accommodate them when already 2 nil down. It didnt work & we eventually let in another 2.

Perhaps the manager should try to take the game to them & let the opposition worry about our left winger instead.
    Bit hard to do that when they're running absolute rings round you
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    What  !!!!

That was the idea at kick off… it led to us being 2-0 down inside 15 minutes. Should we have carried on going? At what point would you start giving Jacko pelted for not changing it?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    What  !!!!

That was the idea at kick off… it led to us being 2-0 down inside 15 minutes. Should we have carried on going? At what point would you start giving Jacko pelted for not changing it?
    There is a difference in changing formation & going 442 or 4312 to swapping players over to their "wrong" side so your right back is playing left back. On that basis you might just as well put Stockley in goal & Harness up front because the changes he made did fuck all - we let in another 2 goals & didnt score any ourselves. 
  • Options
    On another note - to all those saying we need a major clear out & we don't have a core to the squad, please remember you just cant ditch players under contract. So the likes of Gilbey, Morgan, MacGillivray, Lavelle etc will be here next season unless a another team come in to buy them.....which I think is highly unlikely. You could tell them that they arent in your plans & they are free to find other clubs or send them out on loan, but again they are not kids & we would need to pay quite a bit of their salary if a team like Lincoln or Donny wanted to take them. 

So Jacko's statement of already having a "core" or "nucleus" probably means he is looking to build a squad around Fraser, Gilbey, Morgan, Dobson, Clare, Lavelle, CBT, Stockley, Aneke & MacGillivray.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    What  !!!!

Do you really think that we took the game to Ipswich in the first 15 mins? 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Jackson not the man to take us forward. Can’t motivate the players. Need some wiinners in this squad. We have a bunch of journeyman losers. Can’t see this squad going anywhere.
    Karl Robinson would have got more out of this squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smashed out of sight by a fellow mid table third tier team. Disgraceful stuff. I’m sick of hearing how Jackson hasn’t got the players to do any better. Agree a lot of them are bloody awful but so has Jackson’s lack of ability to even instill some fight and spirit. The minimum requirement. Thank the lord this season is over. I have no confidence next will be in the slightest any better. 
    Wisest comment all season ~ Yes, let's thank Him!  And pray that JJ is removed asap. 
  • Options
    On another note - to all those saying we need a major clear out & we don't have a core to the squad, please remember you just cant ditch players under contract. So the likes of Gilbey, Morgan, MacGillivray, Lavelle etc will be here next season unless a another team come in to buy them.....which I think is highly unlikely. You could tell them that they arent in your plans & they are free to find other clubs or send them out on loan, but again they are not kids & we would need to pay quite a bit of their salary if a team like Lincoln or Donny wanted to take them. 

So Jacko's statement of already having a "core" or "nucleus" probably means he is looking to build a squad around Fraser, Gilbey, Morgan, Dobson, Clare, Lavelle, CBT, Stockley, Aneke & MacGillivray.
    God help us....

Watching Stockley I couldnt help but think how good Stockton looked by camparison. Mobile, useful feet, good in the air, decent shot. Whereas Stockley, well we have all seen it, he is a one trick pony, looks laboured with the ball at his feet, telegraphs his passes, slow and yeah I could go on and on, but wont.

We wont go up with our current forward line and we need to be reassembled from the back to the front and that could include the numerous backroom staff we seem to be carrying.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    What  !!!!

Do you really think that we took the game to Ipswich in the first 15 mins? 
    I only said that was the idea… Ipswich had exactly the same idea and on the day were better at it than us.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    What  !!!!

There is a difference in changing formation & going 442 or 4312 to swapping players over to their "wrong" side so your right back is playing left back. On that basis you might just as well put Stockley in goal & Harness up front because the changes he made did fuck all - we let in another 2 goals & didnt score any ourselves. 
    Ah so it only counts if it’s a formation change. Got it.

The change had the effect that Jacko intended. We were 2-0 down in 11 minutes. They didn’t score for the rest of the first half.

They were pulling us apart and after the two players swapped wings, they had a harder time breaking us down.

Jacko later in the game threw on different attacking options as subs to get back into it but it didn’t work.
  • Options