Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th April 2022 - 12:30 KO

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Jacko saying that the 3rd goal killed us because at 2-0 you can always get back in it.

Don't think he's looked at the stats when we go 1-0 down. Please @LouisMend ask Jacko what he thinks ffs !
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:
    This feels like a slightly deranged take from Jackson. Awful lot of patting himself on the back for a manager who finished 13th in League One, as low as we've gone. It's true that we were in the drop zone when he took over from an even more abject managerial performance (where he was assistant manager) but 4 wins in 5 wasn't long followed by 6 losses in 7 and no wins. 1 point from a possible 21. We've been turned over by Morecambe, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Accrington, Crewe and, remarkably, Hartlepool. He seems awfully proud of 'sticking to his guns' in a way that's seen us concede three at home against Morecambe and get absolutely banjaxed by Oxford and Ipswich. He's deflected a lot Sandgaard's way ahead of next season, but he's hardly had Scott Fraser purring and his refusal to even consider using the loans properly has made him look a bit weird really, in addition to his tactics not looking like they're making much sense. I think I would have preferred to see a bit more realistic self-reflection rather than bullish pride there, but we'll see.
    Jacko seems to forget that he was assistant manager when Adkins was in charge….the way he claims no responsibility for our start to the season is amazing…seems to forget that he was the guy taking training back in August.
  • Options
    So is it now officially our worst ever positional finish in the clubs history?
  • Options
    2nd time in 3 years we've lost the final game of the season 4-0. 

Poor. Very poor.
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Truly awful performance. Players looked knackered and uninterested. Roll on a major clear-out during the summer. But I’m not holding my my breath. 
    Bollox to Charlton, I’m going for a major clearout and i will definitely be holding my breath!!🤢😰
  • Options
    Months prior
    "Players No better than 15th"
    "Mid table players"
    "Worst squad ever"
    "Complete overhaul"

Post match

"We have a good core"
    "Add  couple of CBs and a forward"

😯

Game was..... standard for this season, nothing was great, Harness, can't fault him too much lot of crap in front of him that didn't know what to do.

Ah well, all over.
  • Options
    The legend of 13th over the last 6yrs as couldn't be bothered to go back further.

20/21 - MK Don's, 21/22 3rd (Promoted?)

19/20 - Blackpool, 20/21 - 3rd (Promoted)

18/19 - Gillingham, 19/20 - 10th

17/18 - Bristol R, 18/19 - 15th

16/17 - Charlton, 17/18 - 6th (Promoted)

15/16 - Peterborough, 16/17 - 11th

• Options
    edited April 2022
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:
    This feels like a slightly deranged take from Jackson. Awful lot of patting himself on the back for a manager who finished 13th in League One, as low as we've gone. It's true that we were in the drop zone when he took over from an even more abject managerial performance (where he was assistant manager) but 4 wins in 5 wasn't long followed by 6 losses in 7 and no wins. 1 point from a possible 21. We've been turned over by Morecambe, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Accrington, Crewe and, remarkably, Hartlepool. He seems awfully proud of 'sticking to his guns' in a way that's seen us concede three at home against Morecambe and get absolutely banjaxed by Oxford and Ipswich. He's deflected a lot Sandgaard's way ahead of next season, but he's hardly had Scott Fraser purring and his refusal to even consider using the loans properly has made him look a bit weird really, in addition to his tactics not looking like they're making much sense. I think I would have preferred to see a bit more realistic self-reflection rather than bullish pride there, but we'll see.
    40 points this season kept you up. I reckon any one of us could have got to that mark this season once Adkins had gone. Even after the dreadful run after xmas & we were sliding back down the table I said 44 points would be enough. Jackson was set a very low bar which was easily achievable. Finishing 13th or 20th doesn't really matter when his remit was securing our league 1 status.

I'll be keeping a keen eye on our transfer dealings this summer seeing as Jacko himself has said that he'd like the core of our business done by pre-season. That's 2 months away. Easily enough time to get the 6 or 7 bodies in that will make up the spine of the squad (with the other 8 or 9 that will already be here). 

Make or break for me. Fool me once, more fool you. Fool me twice, more fool me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    If we really do “have good core” of contracted players then we are a very long way from top 10 next year given the top 10 this year and the 3 coming down
    Could argue Lavelle, Dobson, Fraser, CBT, Stockley and Aneke is a good core.
    It’s probably a harder argument if you exclude the guy who can’t play 90 minutes, the constantly injured Center Back, Fraser from whom we have seen little and received nothing when he has played, and assume Dobson actually stays with a mid to low level Div 3 team…..and expect CBT to stay and stay fit and Stockley plays more than he did this year and gets fit….but I am open to persuasion.  It’s arguable you could argue a good C let alone the O R and E, let alone persuade me that’s a top 10 set up
    You’re welcome to be miserable about it but…

- Lavelle has played season in season out with Morecambe before joining. Typical of our season and club that he sustains two freak injuries in the same season. He will lock down that middle centre back position next season.
    - Fraser is a proven performer at this level. Unfortunately like Lavelle he’s suffered twice from injury/illness that has prevented him playing often. Given what we know now about his COVID and the cysts in his knee, his peak level of fitness for us came away at Bolton where he came on off the bench and turned the game for us, until we conceded a sloppy goal at the end. He looked great and looking forward to seeing more of him.
    - Dobson is a good player I’m glad you agree. I would be shocked if he has Championship interest though. He’s still prone to diving into tackles unnecessarily and suspect his game as it is today would get picked apart at the next level.
    - CBT has shown himself to be dangerous. Another player that suffered from a lack of consistent pre season training - convinced he will be back stronger next year.
    - Stockley reached 20 goals this season and is good enough to be a part of a squad challenging for promotion.
    - We all know what Aneke is capable of at this level despite not being able to start regularly.

There is also Sean Clare who blossomed into a good option for us in that wide centre back role. We also have a pre-season competition for the GK shirt on our hands. Having CMG and AMB in direct competition with each other should bring the best out of them.

I also hope we have contracts on the table for Washington and Forster-Caskey who would be worthy of a place in a top six squad.

Where the core is weak is left sided centre back (Famewo or Purrington is not the options you want), wing back (Matthews, Purrington, DJ & CBT aren’t ideal) and central midfield (need better than Gilbey and Morgan in the starting XI).
    I don’t know you and never will, but wouldn’t dream of assuming your mood so it would be appreciated if you would do the same.  I am not miserable about anything to do with Charlton, they are a football team, not a very good one and frankly, apart from a few massive highs, have been pretty shit since my first game in 1968.  Charlton are not a point of misery.  They are however a subject of opinion (and frequently disappointment) so I will leave it with you and whatever that diatribe was, but I am very happy with my opinion, well made and in a generally realistic and perfectly happy mode, that the “core” of this team is not good enough to compete for promotion.  Happy to be proved wrong, and acknowledge your right to have a different opinion.  The rest of it I didn’t read though, cos the opening line just isn’t worth continuing with the effort.  Have a lovely day.
    Message received. Hope you have a lovely day too.

Your post read as unnecessarily dismissive of what I believe to be players that will be here to win promotion. Especially after reading your summaries on both Lavelle and Fraser, I felt the need to comment in kind.

In your post you say you’re open to persuasion but shut yourself off immediately to what I posted, calling it diatribe. I think you’ve made your mind up.
    Summary

i don’t believe we have a “core” of players that a challenge for promotion, you argue that you could argue that we might.  

I find that argument unpersuasive on the facts of the season as I see them but agree YOU are welcome to argue it.  
    You call me miserable and then use lots of words about the same players you regard as core, which I admit I didn’t read, but in any event wouldn’t be enough to persuade me that the established core will challenge for promotion.  

That’s because, unless you are JJ or one of those players under a pseudonym and therefore have inside knowledge, the only true way for me to know whether my opinion is right or wrong is at this time next season and if I am wrong, I’ll be very happy and you can say “told you so”.  But just repeating the core players names doesn’t impact my view that they are not a big enough or good enough core to challenge and I haven’t seen anything persuasive to change that view, but I wasn’t dismissive and acknowledged your view/opinion.  I just don’t and won’t agree with it as an opinion until it is a fact…May 2023 would tell us.

PS diatribe is accurate as a descriptor, my initial post was an innocent 2 lines, this is continued “prolonged discourse”

this isn’t much fun any more and definitely making me miserable, so I am going to agree to disagree and leave social media where it should be, in the shitter.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:
    40 points this season kept you up. I reckon any one of us could have got to that mark this season once Adkins had gone. Even after the dreadful run after xmas & we were sliding back down the table I said 44 points would be enough. Jackson was set a very low bar which was easily achievable. Finishing 13th or 20th doesn't really matter when his remit was securing our league 1 status.

I'll be keeping a keen eye on our transfer dealings this summer seeing as Jacko himself has said that he'd like the core of our business done by pre-season. That's 2 months away. Easily enough time to get the 6 or 7 bodies in that will make up the spine of the squad (with the other 8 or 9 that will already be here). 

I managed 35pts at chartham park off 8 this morning  if that has any relevance, just thought I’d say.🤣
  • Options
    Has it been explained why CBT was on the right, and Matthews on the left today, as it didn't work in attack or defence
    What  !!!!

Didnt hear this. Wtf was that all about. Mathews is a right back with a decent right foot & CBT has had storming games recently playing on the left.

If this really was the case then Jacko has certainly lost the plot. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Definitely our biggest waste of a season in my time supporting this club.
    It’s becoming an uncomfortable habit, but I completely agree with you again Dazzler👍🤣
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    So is it now officially our worst ever positional finish in the clubs history?
    No we've finished 13th, so copied two other occasions since 2010

We finished 14th back in 1975, before that we finished 14th | 15th | 16th | 21st in the 1920s when we were in the Third Division South

The last three times we finished 13th we got 59-pts (this season, and 2010/11) and 60-pts in 2016/17

So we'd have to actually be relegated to League Two for us to officially obtain our worst ever positional finish
    Its quite ironic how much we've copied 2010/11

- Same final league position | Same number of points | Same Goal Difference

We have however, scored seven fewer goals than that season, but have conceded seven fewer goals too
    We've also won and lost more games this season compared with that one

Eight draws this season, is the least we've achieved since Curbishley's last season as Manager
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    The fact that there were some fans who applauded them off. Jesus Christ
    Probably the same fans who accuse others of being 'entitled', lol
    Anyone clapping this shower is entitled to the shit they watch.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Has it been explained why CBT was on the right, and Matthews on the left today, as it didn't work in attack or defence
    What  !!!!

Didnt hear this. Wtf was that all about. Mathews is a right back with a decent right foot & CBT has had storming games recently playing on the left.

Didn't start the game like that. He switched it after we went 2 (or 3?) down. Presumably because Burns was causing us too many problems down CBT's side.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    The fact that there were some fans who applauded them off. Jesus Christ
    Probably the same fans who accuse others of being 'entitled', lol
    Anyone clapping this shower is entitled to the shit they watch.
    Just like fans clapping and giving a standing ovation to Gilbey last week despite another abject performance. Can't believe fans are settling for this garbage.
  • Options
    I honestly don't know if I will be back next season.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:

Absolutely.

Unless I see some impressive transfer dealing, I think we'll be in Fleetwood & Gillingham's shoes this time next year.
    I have very little faith in TS, sad to say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know we’re all rightly angry and peed off with today and this season , but found this at the ground which I thought was an interesting read, I absolutely loved Bobby Robson, who took pelters as England manager, and had a great Ipswich team.

Said on the stuff around the ground he brought in 14 players over 13 years, oh for us to be doing that!!
  • Options
    The strikers we currently have won’t fire us to promotion. Obviously JJ thinks they will. 
    They will if we get the rest of the team right.
    Debatable. They miss too many chances 
  • Options
    Thank god we lost today , if Jackson needed a timely reminder of our shit we are !
    if we’d have sneaked a 0-0 we would have been left with same rubbish next season .
    The worst season ever after 55 years never been so depressed , no heroes , no Steve browns, no style or effort , hate all of them right now.
    Player of the year ffs 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Chunes said:
    What  !!!!

Didn't start the game like that. He switched it after we went 2 (or 3?) down. Presumably because Burns was causing us too many problems down CBT's side.
    The height of his tactical nous. 
  • Options
    Disgraceful. 

Amazingly bad end to a dreadful season. Couldn’t care less if I never see any of those players in a Charlton shirt ever again. 
  • Options
    We are f*cked .  
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:
    You forgot Cheltenham and Twice by Accrington. 
    Jackson didn't lose to Cheltenham, or twice to Accrington as manager, which is what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    What a contrast from Neil Harris interview on Sky earlier,proper laying in to the Gills squad…that’s what JJ shoulda been saying to this shower of crap