Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th April 2022 - 12:30 KO

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    If we really do “have good core” of contracted players then we are a very long way from top 10 next year given the top 10 this year and the 3 coming down
    Could argue Lavelle, Dobson, Fraser, CBT, Stockley and Aneke is a good core.
    It’s probably a harder argument if you exclude the guy who can’t play 90 minutes, the constantly injured Center Back, Fraser from whom we have seen little and received nothing when he has played, and assume Dobson actually stays with a mid to low level Div 3 team…..and expect CBT to stay and stay fit and Stockley plays more than he did this year and gets fit….but I am open to persuasion.  It’s arguable you could argue a good C let alone the O R and E, let alone persuade me that’s a top 10 set up
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    paulfox said:
    LouisMend said:
    “I think we’ve got a good core that will be coming back to us next season"

Well that tells you all that you need to know
    I guarentee he includes the likes of Gilbey and MacGillivray in that which is as worrying as the 4-0 today. 
    He also said (possibly not word for word as I can't find the article)) the other day on "Londonnewsonline" that our strikers are top class & he's not really looking to improve that area, there's other positions with a higher priority.
    I really hope your pulling our pissers there charltonbob!!!😬 no more new strikers would be criminal!!
    I wish I was ! ................. well erm.....not actually pulling your pisser of course. 

He did say something along the lines of our top class strikers & maybe we'll be looking at back up, but other positions are higher priority. (I think it was tues/weds I read that)  I've said it before & I'll say it again, I believe we'll be having this same conversation this time next year. I (sadly) have no confidence in JJ. 
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    If we really do “have good core” of contracted players then we are a very long way from top 10 next year given the top 10 this year and the 3 coming down
    It’s probably a harder argument if you exclude the guy who can’t play 90 minutes, the constantly injured Center Back, Fraser from whom we have seen little and received nothing when he has played, and assume Dobson actually stays with a mid to low level Div 3 team…..and expect CBT to stay and stay fit and Stockley plays more than he did this year and gets fit….but I am open to persuasion.  It’s arguable you could argue a good C let alone the O R and E, let alone persuade me that’s a top 10 set up
    You could argue Dobson is a good core.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Lord help us! He thinks " we have a good core that will be coming back to help us." No we haven't Jackson. That's the problem. The core of your side can't play your formation and are not winners. They have no balls and can't fight. Happy being beaten. He has to go.
  • Options
    Gutted and embarrassed in equal measure. Really thought Jackson would make a real fist of it. Will the owner take the cheaper option of letting the whole coaching staff go and move into next season with new coaches and maybe only a couple of new signings or a complete rebuild?. It's gonna be an interesting ride either way. 
    The problem is I think our team did have a go. The big issue is the difference in quality between our team vs a team good enough to win promotion next season.

Finishing 11 points below 11th place in league one is embarrassing but the reality of how good we are.

League one basically consistent of two divisions this season. The top 11 (who are all much better than us) & then 13 truly shite teams below that. Sadly we are very much part of the 13!

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Big support and coins spent !
    Think that’s my worse away defeat ! 
    Anyone got better or worse ? 
    Huddersfield 5-0 followed by Hull 6-0 consecutive away games within four days of one another January 2016😩.  
    as Bob Hope sang .. Thanks for the Memories lol
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    LouisMend said:

I guarentee he includes the likes of Gilbey and MacGillivray in that which is as worrying as the 4-0 today. 
    He also said (possibly not word for word as I can't find the article)) the other day on "Londonnewsonline" that our strikers are top class & he's not really looking to improve that area, there's other positions with a higher priority.
    I really hope your pulling our pissers there charltonbob!!!😬 no more new strikers would be criminal!!
    I wish I was ! ................. well erm.....not actually pulling your pisser of course. 

He did say something along the lines of our top class strikers & maybe we'll be looking at back up, but other positions are higher priority. (I think it was tues/weds I read that)  I've said it before & I'll say it again, I believe we'll be having this same conversation this time next year. I (sadly) have no confidence in JJ. 
    🤣🤣, no I’m not totally confident JJ is going to replicate powelly, and for the record as nice a chap I’m sure you are, I have no desire for you to pull my pisser either.😂
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    Not sure on Lavelle though sometimes new signings especially from lower divisions can take time to settle. Fraser was dropped at Ipswich & hardly set the place on fire here in his few games. CBT ? Not sure. I don't think Stockley is good enough to be our main striker that will fire us to promotion. Aneke ? What we need is an Aneke who can play every game for 90 minutes or there abouts. I wouldn't put the Aneke that we have as part of a strong core.
    What we need is a strong spine through the team. How are we doing ? Goalkeeper ? No. CB? No CMF ? Dobson. Striker ? Not really. & while we're about it we also need a strong, aggressive noisy captain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    You’re welcome to be miserable about it but…

- Lavelle has played season in season out with Morecambe before joining. Typical of our season and club that he sustains two freak injuries in the same season. He will lock down that middle centre back position next season.
    - Fraser is a proven performer at this level. Unfortunately like Lavelle he’s suffered twice from injury/illness that has prevented him playing often. Given what we know now about his COVID and the cysts in his knee, his peak level of fitness for us came away at Bolton where he came on off the bench and turned the game for us, until we conceded a sloppy goal at the end. He looked great and looking forward to seeing more of him.
    - Dobson is a good player I’m glad you agree. I would be shocked if he has Championship interest though. He’s still prone to diving into tackles unnecessarily and suspect his game as it is today would get picked apart at the next level.
    - CBT has shown himself to be dangerous. Another player that suffered from a lack of consistent pre season training - convinced he will be back stronger next year.
    - Stockley reached 20 goals this season and is good enough to be a part of a squad challenging for promotion.
    - We all know what Aneke is capable of at this level despite not being able to start regularly.

There is also Sean Clare who blossomed into a good option for us in that wide centre back role. We also have a pre-season competition for the GK shirt on our hands. Having CMG and AMB in direct competition with each other should bring the best out of them.

I also hope we have contracts on the table for Washington and Forster-Caskey who would be worthy of a place in a top six squad.

Where the core is weak is left sided centre back (Famewo or Purrington is not the options you want), wing back (Matthews, Purrington, DJ & CBT aren’t ideal) and central midfield (need better than Gilbey and Morgan in the starting XI).
    I don’t know you and never will, but wouldn’t dream of assuming your mood so it would be appreciated if you would do the same.  I am not miserable about anything to do with Charlton, they are a football team, not a very good one and frankly, apart from a few massive highs, have been pretty shit since my first game in 1968.  Charlton are not a point of misery.  They are however a subject of opinion (and frequently disappointment) so I will leave it with you and whatever that diatribe was, but I am very happy with my opinion, well made and in a generally realistic and perfectly happy mode, that the “core” of this team is not good enough to compete for promotion.  Happy to be proved wrong, and acknowledge your right to have a different opinion.  The rest of it I didn’t read though, cos the opening line just isn’t worth continuing with the effort.  Have a lovely day.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I don't think the core is too bad through the centre if you're looking at one each, but we need at least 1 quality in each (CB, CM and STR). What I think we're seriously missing is the key player element. People give players like Famewo, DJ and Gilbey a lot of stick, but realistically they're decent league 1 players. Under Powell we still had Evina and Doherty. Sullivan wasn't a great back up, Euell was coming towards the end of his career and we had a few short-term loanees who were nothing more than average. Under Bowyer we still had Reeves, Marshall and Ajose. Fosu didn't play much. 

What we severely lack is the core quality of 12/13 players. I think too much attention is paid to the '2 players for every position'. We worry about cover but we need to get a quality core and keep them fit. Left-back is the prime example of where we didn't have any cover at all previously, Evina was bang average and Page injured. It didn't matter because Wiggins and Purrington were successful. We've probably got about 16 players who are all absolutely fine if they make 15 appearances, mostly from the bench. But only 2/3 genuinely quality players and that is why we're mid table IMO. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    Aneke shouldn't be thought of as part of a 'core' if he's a 30 minute player. 
  • Options
    Completely lost interest in Charlton at present - sad state of affairs. All very uninspiring....
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    That's nonsense as long as he's available for most matches like he was last season. It also relies on the strikers around him staying fit admittedly. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    That's nonsense as long as he's available for most matches like he was last season. It also relies on the strikers around him staying fit admittedly. 
    If we're 2-0 down by the time he comes on, is he considered part of a core? 

He's not on the pitch for longer than he is. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    Not sure on Lavelle though sometimes new signings especially from lower divisions can take time to settle. Fraser was dropped at Ipswich & hardly set the place on fire here in his few games. CBT ? Not sure. I don't think Stockley is good enough to be our main striker that will fire us to promotion. Aneke ? What we need is an Aneke who can play every game for 90 minutes or there abouts. I wouldn't put the Aneke that we have as part of a strong core.
    What we need is a strong spine through the team. How are we doing ? Goalkeeper ? No. CB? No CMF ? Dobson. Striker ? Not really. & while we're about it we also need a strong, aggressive noisy captain.
    They're 7 (plus Clare, forgot him) players who could all play a big part in a promotion winning squad. I'm not saying we don't need to sign better or that all of them will play 90 minutes every week.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    If we're 2-0 down by the time he comes on, is he considered part of a core? 

He's not on the pitch for longer than he is. 
    How many times in League 1 has he come on when we were losing by 2+ goals compared to when we were at least level? I accept if you're 2+ down his ability as a 'supersub' is weakened, but realistically 95% of the time he's going to be coming on when we're 1 up, 1 down or level and he has the opportunity to be a valuable asset. 
  • Options
    I'm gonna support Luton next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JJ cant think he did himself any favours in the post match interview surely ? Wtf has he been watching this season ? Even when we went on the winning run the performances were far from decent. The more I listen to the club comms the more I feel like someone is trying to sell me a timeshare in a shit hole ! Hopefully JJ isnt that stupid that he seriously thinks we have a good core to compete next season. We have 4 maybe 5 max anywhere near and that's assuming they will be able to play every game. TS is a salesman at heart and is learning re football but the rest of the coaching staff should be more than aware of the issues 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    They're 7 (plus Clare, forgot him) players who could all play a big part in a promotion winning squad. I'm not saying we don't need to sign better or that all of them will play 90 minutes every week.
    Take Lavelle for example. 

Played 24 games this season. 

12 Losses. 

5 Draws.

7 Wins. 

Conceding 33 goals.  It's just one player in a defensive group sure, but it doesn't seem like he has been a huge miss when out. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I bet those adjustments, don't include a different formation or a plan B.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    LouisMend said:

I agree with him that other positions are higher priority. Yes, it'd be nice to have another free-scoring striker, but the midfield have contributed hardly any goals themselves, haven't been great creatively and have been fairly bad at winning and retaining possession with the exception of Dobson. And don't get me started on the defence...
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    None of those are promotion quality though. Especially not in this formation 
  • Options
    Big support and coins spent !
    Think that’s my worse away defeat ! 
    Anyone got better or worse ? 
    Losing 11-1 at Aston Villa.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    Scoham said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    You’re welcome to be miserable about it but…

- Lavelle has played season in season out with Morecambe before joining. Typical of our season and club that he sustains two freak injuries in the same season. He will lock down that middle centre back position next season.
    - Fraser is a proven performer at this level. Unfortunately like Lavelle he’s suffered twice from injury/illness that has prevented him playing often. Given what we know now about his COVID and the cysts in his knee, his peak level of fitness for us came away at Bolton where he came on off the bench and turned the game for us, until we conceded a sloppy goal at the end. He looked great and looking forward to seeing more of him.
    - Dobson is a good player I’m glad you agree. I would be shocked if he has Championship interest though. He’s still prone to diving into tackles unnecessarily and suspect his game as it is today would get picked apart at the next level.
    - CBT has shown himself to be dangerous. Another player that suffered from a lack of consistent pre season training - convinced he will be back stronger next year.
    - Stockley reached 20 goals this season and is good enough to be a part of a squad challenging for promotion.
    - We all know what Aneke is capable of at this level despite not being able to start regularly.

There is also Sean Clare who blossomed into a good option for us in that wide centre back role. We also have a pre-season competition for the GK shirt on our hands. Having CMG and AMB in direct competition with each other should bring the best out of them.

I also hope we have contracts on the table for Washington and Forster-Caskey who would be worthy of a place in a top six squad.

Where the core is weak is left sided centre back (Famewo or Purrington is not the options you want), wing back (Matthews, Purrington, DJ & CBT aren’t ideal) and central midfield (need better than Gilbey and Morgan in the starting XI).
    I don’t know you and never will, but wouldn’t dream of assuming your mood so it would be appreciated if you would do the same.  I am not miserable about anything to do with Charlton, they are a football team, not a very good one and frankly, apart from a few massive highs, have been pretty shit since my first game in 1968.  Charlton are not a point of misery.  They are however a subject of opinion (and frequently disappointment) so I will leave it with you and whatever that diatribe was, but I am very happy with my opinion, well made and in a generally realistic and perfectly happy mode, that the “core” of this team is not good enough to compete for promotion.  Happy to be proved wrong, and acknowledge your right to have a different opinion.  The rest of it I didn’t read though, cos the opening line just isn’t worth continuing with the effort.  Have a lovely day.
    Message received. Hope you have a lovely day too.

Your post read as unnecessarily dismissive of what I believe to be players that will be here to win promotion. Especially after reading your summaries on both Lavelle and Fraser, I felt the need to comment in kind.

In your post you say you’re open to persuasion but shut yourself off immediately to what I posted, calling it diatribe. I think you’ve made your mind up.