Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    If I won euro millions tomorrow I can’t work out if that would be good or bad money, but I would try to buy the training ground and the Valley with some of the dosh.
    How much rent would you charge the club ?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Uboat said:
    Leuth said:
    My opinion of my fellow Charlton fans has rarely been lower than it has in the last couple of days. There seems to be a whole industry of people who gained cred and followers opposing Duchatelet, who've had to lie dormant for a while, and who have now sensed the opportunity to doomsay, cavil, insinuate and rabble-rouse. TS hasn't done a single thing to genuinely alarm me yet. Frustrate, perhaps - he's new to this game - but the high-handed demands for us to 'worry about Charlton's future' feel to me like certain people want to be important again 
    Nicely written, but completely wrong. 

‘A whole industry of people’? Seriously?

Fans who care about our club which has been through the mill at the hands of bona fide wrong uns for a succession of ownerships and lack the apathy to not speak out/ act out against it.  And thank f*** for having such a fanbase and long may it continue in the murky world of modern football.

I'm sure each and everyone of our successive ownerships' critics would happily permanently cease the rabble rousing in exchange for and end to the seemingly perpetual off the field circuses.
    You want it darker? Fine.

Football is fucked. It is incredibly difficult to progress even in League One without making tremendous losses. Higher up - forget it. The industry is not about 'responsible ownership', it is a prestige industry for the world's barons to launder their cash and wage PR campaigns so that they don't come across as the thieving parasites they generally are (with a few decent exceptions). Sandgaard, while he's technically linked to the monstrosity that is the US healthcare system, is actually someone whose products help people, which already has him in the top few percent of EFL owners on some vague and probably highly subjective morality index. 

When we 'speak out' or 'act against' owners, what is it we want? Yes, the protests against Duchatelet were justified as he was making insane decisions one after another, and they ended up working, because (along with the new FFP rules and the difficulties of running a European football network post-Brexit) they persuaded him that the club had to be sold. What our effective protests boiled down to was: Roland Out. Right, well, let's cut through the crap and say that any protests being mooted now are Sandgaard Out protests. The trouble is that with football ownership it's never just X Out, it's Y In (which is why it took so long to Get Roland Out, of course). So, after Sandgaard goes, what do we want? To own the club ourselves? Well, put us in League Two or lower and we might be able to, just about. Failing that, what do we want? A horrible exploiter bastard who just happens to be from SE London to sink some of his (or her) ill-gotten gains into Charlton so that we can all say 'yeah but they're OUR bastard', while they continue to slumlord or expand their slot-machine empire or whatever other nefarious method they've chosen to become rich enough to own a prospective Championship club? Yes, owners with relatively palatable businesses do exist - Steve Gibson, Dale Vince and so forth - but these are men who are willing to lose a hell of a lot of money to prop up their local communities, and in Vince's case to further a green agenda (that I happen to be on board with). They're exceptions. 

Failing that, oil money? 

We were in trouble for years. YEARS. And nobody stood up to take us over. Nobody had the cash. We didn't have a local champion or even consortium. Sandgaard stood up. He had his reasons. More to the point, he had the cash, and he wanted to have some fun with it. And really, what else could we have hoped for? His fun is our fun now. At least he wants to see some good football. Don't we all?  

Supporting EFL football forces us to bow to its ultra-wealthy owners. And until that model changes, my advice is either to stop supporting us, or to hope that - and yes, demand that - our ultra-wealthy owner is doing it for the right reasons. Duchatelet was doing it to prove himself right, which is a dangerous thing. Sandgaard, for me, is doing it for the right reasons. And if you disagree, well. Perhaps you have convinced yourself that Andrew Barclay's cash is good cash. Honourable, British cash. Cash that didn't bid for us for many years when it could have. Cash that won't bid now.

Don't disagree with any of this Leuth.  But doesn't mean that just because it's the way it is that anyone who isn't a wrong un is above criticism particularly when they continue to set ludicrous expectations.

If the approach was more tempered i.e. football is fucked, we'll do our best to progress and keep moving forwards within our means etc in an evermore difficult game rather than the waffle we've been spun even this week without any substance or suggestion of meaningful strategy then I think the vocal critics including myself would be silent.

It's the bullshit that grates and the air of arrogance that assumes it can be done with little to no experience.

Anyway it's not healthy or productive to keep being negative so I'll keep schtum and not post about TS any more and see where we are come August and at Christmas. 
    This is a rhythm that I've noitced quite a few times on here, when people point out that some of the reactions to TS are OTT or unfair you get back that he's 'not above criticism'. I don't think many have said he is though, there were a few people saying he saved the club at the start, but following that I think there's a middle ground. People aren't saying he shouldn't be criticised at all, but saying that he's another one who is destroying our club is way beyond reality and you're not saying he's beyond criticism by pointing that out.

Fair enough. Like I've said negativity helps no one and it's easy to criticise so I'll keep quiet on it from herein.   I do genuinely want TS to succeed and believe he has best interests of the club at heart which is far more than can be said by a number of his predecessors.

He has my support and I have renewed my ST so hopefully he can turn things round.  

I would be pleased to see him gain success with us for him personally as well as for the club as a whole.  

Fingers crossed for the coming months and season.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    If I won euro millions tomorrow I can’t work out if that would be good or bad money, but I would try to buy the training ground and the Valley with some of the dosh.
    I'll vow to pitch in if we both win it. 
    Count me in as well. I’ll sort the Range Rovers and Bitches out. With any left over money I’ll get a few cans of 7 up and some crisps.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    I'll vow to pitch in if we both win it. 
    Count me in as well. I’ll sort the Range Rovers and Bitches out. With any left over money I’ll get a few cans of 7 up and some crisps.
    No nice bread?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Uboat said:
    Leuth said:
    My opinion of my fellow Charlton fans has rarely been lower than it has in the last couple of days. There seems to be a whole industry of people who gained cred and followers opposing Duchatelet, who've had to lie dormant for a while, and who have now sensed the opportunity to doomsay, cavil, insinuate and rabble-rouse. TS hasn't done a single thing to genuinely alarm me yet. Frustrate, perhaps - he's new to this game - but the high-handed demands for us to 'worry about Charlton's future' feel to me like certain people want to be important again 

Fans who care about our club which has been through the mill at the hands of bona fide wrong uns for a succession of ownerships and lack the apathy to not speak out/ act out against it.  And thank f*** for having such a fanbase and long may it continue in the murky world of modern football.

I'm sure each and everyone of our successive ownerships' critics would happily permanently cease the rabble rousing in exchange for and end to the seemingly perpetual off the field circuses.

Football is fucked. It is incredibly difficult to progress even in League One without making tremendous losses. Higher up - forget it. The industry is not about 'responsible ownership', it is a prestige industry for the world's barons to launder their cash and wage PR campaigns so that they don't come across as the thieving parasites they generally are (with a few decent exceptions). Sandgaard, while he's technically linked to the monstrosity that is the US healthcare system, is actually someone whose products help people, which already has him in the top few percent of EFL owners on some vague and probably highly subjective morality index. 

When we 'speak out' or 'act against' owners, what is it we want? Yes, the protests against Duchatelet were justified as he was making insane decisions one after another, and they ended up working, because (along with the new FFP rules and the difficulties of running a European football network post-Brexit) they persuaded him that the club had to be sold. What our effective protests boiled down to was: Roland Out. Right, well, let's cut through the crap and say that any protests being mooted now are Sandgaard Out protests. The trouble is that with football ownership it's never just X Out, it's Y In (which is why it took so long to Get Roland Out, of course). So, after Sandgaard goes, what do we want? To own the club ourselves? Well, put us in League Two or lower and we might be able to, just about. Failing that, what do we want? A horrible exploiter bastard who just happens to be from SE London to sink some of his (or her) ill-gotten gains into Charlton so that we can all say 'yeah but they're OUR bastard', while they continue to slumlord or expand their slot-machine empire or whatever other nefarious method they've chosen to become rich enough to own a prospective Championship club? Yes, owners with relatively palatable businesses do exist - Steve Gibson, Dale Vince and so forth - but these are men who are willing to lose a hell of a lot of money to prop up their local communities, and in Vince's case to further a green agenda (that I happen to be on board with). They're exceptions. 

Failing that, oil money? 

We were in trouble for years. YEARS. And nobody stood up to take us over. Nobody had the cash. We didn't have a local champion or even consortium. Sandgaard stood up. He had his reasons. More to the point, he had the cash, and he wanted to have some fun with it. And really, what else could we have hoped for? His fun is our fun now. At least he wants to see some good football. Don't we all?  

Supporting EFL football forces us to bow to its ultra-wealthy owners. And until that model changes, my advice is either to stop supporting us, or to hope that - and yes, demand that - our ultra-wealthy owner is doing it for the right reasons. Duchatelet was doing it to prove himself right, which is a dangerous thing. Sandgaard, for me, is doing it for the right reasons. And if you disagree, well. Perhaps you have convinced yourself that Andrew Barclay's cash is good cash. Honourable, British cash. Cash that didn't bid for us for many years when it could have. Cash that won't bid now.

Don't disagree with any of this Leuth.  But doesn't mean that just because it's the way it is that anyone who isn't a wrong un is above criticism particularly when they continue to set ludicrous expectations.

If the approach was more tempered i.e. football is fucked, we'll do our best to progress and keep moving forwards within our means etc in an evermore difficult game rather than the waffle we've been spun even this week without any substance or suggestion of meaningful strategy then I think the vocal critics including myself would be silent.

It's the bullshit that grates and the air of arrogance that assumes it can be done with little to no experience.

Anyway it's not healthy or productive to keep being negative so I'll keep schtum and not post about TS any more and see where we are come August and at Christmas. 
    This is a rhythm that I've noitced quite a few times on here, when people point out that some of the reactions to TS are OTT or unfair you get back that he's 'not above criticism'. I don't think many have said he is though, there were a few people saying he saved the club at the start, but following that I think there's a middle ground. People aren't saying he shouldn't be criticised at all, but saying that he's another one who is destroying our club is way beyond reality and you're not saying he's beyond criticism by pointing that out.

Fair enough. Like I've said negativity helps no one and it's easy to criticise so I'll keep quiet on it from herein.   I do genuinely want TS to succeed and believe he has best interests of the club at heart which is far more than can be said by a number of his predecessors.

He has my support and I have renewed my ST so hopefully he can turn things round.  

I would be pleased to see him gain success with us for him personally as well as for the club as a whole.  

Fingers crossed for the coming months and season.

I wasn't directing what I was saying at you specifically by the way, I think we all get into rhythms in how we talk about football on here and elsewhere. I think we could all do with taking a step back and having a look. We're probably not going to hear anything about a new manager for a couple of weeks anyway so we can all just have a break and sharpen our pitchforks in preparation for if he hires Kevin Muscat or something
  • Options
    Colin Powell would be my favourite choice (I would let him keep his coaching job for the England Team)
    Alan Curbishley would be great choice too.

Johnny Jackson was unlucky, as the squad was not good enough. He started great, then started to go downhill
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Colin Powell would be my favourite choice (I would let him keep his coaching job for the England Team)

Johnny Jackson was unlucky, as the squad was not good enough. He started great, then started to go downhill
    Fair play, hadn't thought of that one...
     :) 
  • Options

Colin Powell could sort the pitch as well if he has a spare half hour. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it’s only because it’s JJ that people are upset. Any other manager being  let go would be accepted. 

The problem with any manager is they inevitably leave on a negative and it’s exaggerated when they are a so called club legend. 

Sadly it’s an inevitable outcome when you appoint someone to the role with such history. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    £100k a year for 5 years, then the club is re-integrated free of charge to the rest of the club.

Gotta make some bread back.
  • Options
    I wonder what Grapevine's thoughts are tonight ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Turning up in The Valley car park to throw a few fucks at Southall is one thing. Who on gods Green earth is going to stump up a few hundred quid to protest in Colorado. What a load of over reacting bollix. 
    No-one.  I have lived in the US for 11 years and have barely met a single person who has heard of CAFC, let alone support them, and any Brits paying for flights to Colorado to protest have more money than sense which, based on their plan, might very well be the case.

plus they are all heavily armed over that part, could get messy
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    Turning up in The Valley car park to throw a few fucks at Southall is one thing. Who on gods Green earth is going to stump up a few hundred quid to protest in Colorado. What a load of over reacting bollix. 
    No-one.  I have lived in the US for 11 years and have barely met a single person who has heard of CAFC, let alone support them, and any Brits paying for flights to Colorado to protest have more money than sense which, based on their plan, might very well be the case.

plus they are all heavily armed over that part, could get messy
    Well exactly 
  • Options
    No idea but if he starts typing them now we might get them before Monday. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    In an ideal world he started typing them on Tuesday 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Or even after the new manager is appointed
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    In an ideal world he started typing them on Tuesday 
    I'll get @Dazzler21 to put me down for "club house" on the sheet... 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    £100k a year for 5 years, then the club is re-integrated free of charge to the rest of the club.

Gotta make some bread back.
    If you wanted to be really evil you could make it performance related - give the club a rent rebate at the end of the season the higher up the table we finished, with a significant discount if we got promoted, and totally free if we went up as champions. :)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Uboat said:
    Leuth said:

Failing that, oil money? 

The problem is, he is sinking money into the club to tread water and he only ‘rents’ the assets (training ground and stadium). Roland very much has a grip on this club