Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• I would take Mike Ashley for Charlton but he certainly isn't a hero and his reputation is rather sour. The bad vibes come from people who worked close to him. 

If he owned Charlton I really don't think we would be flying towards the championship.  It would just be a slightly better situation than what we've got now. 

We would be more organised and normal 
  • Dave2l said:
    I would take Mike Ashley for Charlton but he certainly isn't a hero and his reputation is rather sour. The bad vibes come from people who worked close to him. 

If he owned Charlton I really don't think we would be flying towards the championship.  It would just be a slightly better situation than what we've got now. 

We would be more organised and normal 
    I'm not so sure - I think given his whole business model around clubs is get them noticed and use that for advertising revenue etc, losing money in L1 wouldn't fit that.

If he took us over (and I've not a clue whether he's any interest at all), I think he'd put in the funds to try and get at least into the Championship ASAP.

The two times he backed Newcastle well compared to teams around them were the two times they went down, to get them back up as soon as possible.
  • If there are interested parties and we get taken over again in the next 12 months for example, that’s hell of a lot of money TS has pissed away.  

I can’t imagine there will be a bidding war, and whoever takes us over would be more interested in securing the valley and sparrows lane, as opposed to just the football club this time 

• Croydon said:
    Jesus. Are people really seeing Ashley as a reasonable replacement for Sandergaard?

There has been uproar about the treatment of staff, look at the treatment of Sports Direct Staff under Ashley's watch......

Newcastle fans despise him. We would simply be jumping from a sinking ship to a burning one.
    Newcastle fans despise him from nothing other than their own delusions of grandeur.
    I can't agree with that.

His net spend on transfers was something like £3m a year while others spent millions, and while they were getting a load in TV money etc, plus he used them for however much free advertising.

He was like a Glazers-lite type in that respect.

He appointed the likes of Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew (recently sacked by L1 Southampton) etc.  They got relegated twice under his ownership.

There are worse owners, but there are far better too.
    Relegated twice, but bounced back immediately with investment. Why should the net spend be high when he was clearly re-investing player sales? That's a sensible way to run a football club.

They didn't like finishing midtable and that's the problem.
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Jesus. Are people really seeing Ashley as a reasonable replacement for Sandergaard?

There has been uproar about the treatment of staff, look at the treatment of Sports Direct Staff under Ashley's watch......

Newcastle fans despise him. We would simply be jumping from a sinking ship to a burning one.
    Newcastle fans despise him from nothing other than their own delusions of grandeur.
    I can't agree with that.

His net spend on transfers was something like £3m a year while others spent millions, and while they were getting a load in TV money etc, plus he used them for however much free advertising.

He was like a Glazers-lite type in that respect.

He appointed the likes of Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew (recently sacked by L1 Southampton) etc.  They got relegated twice under his ownership.

There are worse owners, but there are far better too.
    Relegated twice, but bounced back immediately with investment. Why should the net spend be high when he was clearly re-investing player sales? That's a sensible way to run a football club.

They didn't like finishing midtable and that's the problem.
    Who does?

I don't agree with the myth over Charlton fans thinking Curbishley had taken us as far as he could etc, but at the time there were still frustrations (nothing compares to now obviously!) at missing out on certain players, not pushing on when 7th etc in March, going from 9th one season to 14th the next, 7th to 11th & 13th etc.  And we weren't a club with 55k a week in the ground and a whole city supporting them.

I don't blame Newcastle fans for wanting an owner who didn't take out of the club and got them relegated twice, they are a bigger club than that.
  • cabbles said:
    If there are interested parties and we get taken over again in the next 12 months for example, that’s hell of a lot of money TS has pissed away.  

I can’t imagine there will be a bidding war, and whoever takes us over would be more interested in securing the valley and sparrows lane, as opposed to just the football club this time 

Why? The lease is good for twelve or so years yet. What's the rush. Why not spend that money on the team, ONLY the team. That's the most important thing to do to get us moving in the right direction isn't it. The aim should be to get us to the Premier league and then pay RD what he wants. 
  • edited October 2022
    This was as of 2019:

And apparently wages on turnover was around 52%.

Meanwhile the advertising was nearly all Sport Direct, everywhere around the club, so that turnover was a lot lower than it could have been.

Mike Ashley took money put.of Newcastle, rather than investing.

Again, I don't blame Newcastle fans for wanting someone who'd put money in instead.

• swordfish said:
    cabbles said:
    If there are interested parties and we get taken over again in the next 12 months for example, that’s hell of a lot of money TS has pissed away.  

Why? The lease is good for twelve or so years yet. What's the rush. Why not spend that money on the team, ONLY the team. That's the most important thing to do to get us moving in the right direction isn't it. The aim should be to get us to the Premier league and then pay RD what he wants. 
    They don't get to play at The Valley and train at Sparrows Lane for free.
  • Sponsored links:

• WSSWSS
    edited October 2022
    Didn't Ashley take Newcastle over in 2007, the year we got relegated from the top table? I know whose footballing times I'd have taken since then between the two clubs...
  • swordfish said:
    cabbles said:

You run the risk of ending up in exactly the same position as TS is now.  At least if they purchase the valley and sparrow lane, if it goes wrong for them or they want to get out at some point, they have something of financial value they can sell.

As much as I was grateful for TS’ investment, I think the fact he doesn’t own the ground and SL has perhaps made him quicker to throw in the towel 
  • L

They’re also generally total idiots, they did very well under Ashley. 
    They did ok, not sure they did "very well". They were relegated twice although came straight back up as champions both times. A club like Newcastle rightly want to be in the top 10 and he didn't really manage that, but I'd certainly argue that he wasn't a terrible owner, just not a great one. 
  • I would have Ashley all day, all his business he buys when they’re at the bottom and sells them for a huge profit, which to him is the Premier League. Ok he didn't spend a lot when they were in the premier league, but when they got relegated, which I think is twice, he certainly but his hands in his pocket to make sure they go straight back up…… Who wouldn’t want that now?

• WSS said:
    swordfish said:
    cabbles said:

They don't get to play at The Valley and train at Sparrows Lane for free.
    I'm not saying don't pay the bills, but focus on improving the squad as the number one priority.
  • edited October 2022

• cabbles said:
    swordfish said:
    cabbles said:

You run the risk of ending up in exactly the same position as TS is now.  At least if they purchase the valley and sparrow lane, if it goes wrong for them or they want to get out at some point, they have something of financial value they can sell.

As much as I was grateful for TS’ investment, I think the fact he doesn’t own the ground and SL has perhaps made him quicker to throw in the towel 
    His intentions were laudable, his execution laughable. Get in someone with a bit of nous to prioritse getting us out of this god awful league at the top end and the fans will buy into it.

We need someone who can sustain the level of losses for a period of time. Wednesday have such a benefactor, so no reason to believe others aren't out there.
  • edited October 2022
    J BLOCK said:

I assume he means off the pitch discipline and not on the pitch?

Because AFC Wimbledon currently sit bottom of the fair play league for the on the pitch stuff. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2022
    CAFCsayer said:
    This was as of 2019:

Meanwhile the advertising was nearly all Sport Direct, everywhere around the club, so that turnover was a lot lower than it could have been.

Again, I don't blame Newcastle fans for wanting someone who'd put money in instead.

That looks like a very sensible way to run a football club. They were in the prem for 90% of that, the guy knows what he is doing
    Depends what he'd do in League 1. We're going mad at Sandgaard for thinking he can go anywhere close to break even. If Ashley came in and spent money with the idea of getting a lot more "sensible" in the Prem it could work, but if he comes in being tight from the get-go I'm not sure it's much different. 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    This was as of 2019:

That looks like a very sensible way to run a football club. They were in the prem for 90% of that, the guy knows what he is doing
    Depends what he'd do in League 1. We're going mad at Sandgaard for thinking he can go anywhere close to break even. If Ashley came in and spent money with the idea of getting a lot more "sensible" in the Prem it could work, but if he comes in being tight from the get-go I'm not sure it's much different. 
    Its a moot point as i really dont think Ashley would be interested, but why would Mike Ashley do that? His approach to business is buying distressed assets and making them viable to sell at a profit. We aren't interesting for anyone that would be worthwhile for him to sell to unless we made the prem
  • edited October 2022

But in Sandgaards case the ship is sinking because he himself holed it below the waterline. At least Ashley knows where the buckets are to put out any fire & knows the cost to fill them. 
  • I had a call from the club today (and a subsequent email) from someone called Christos Apostolopoulos,  "Commercial Sales Executive", a contact for season ticket holders. And trying to promote packages as my birthday is later on this month, for which I politely declined - just watching us play MK Dons on the 25th will be bad enough!

Is this someone new?
  • Also had that call around my birthday, told me to call him if there's anything I need in the future.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    This was as of 2019:

Its a moot point as i really dont think Ashley would be interested, but why would Mike Ashley do that? His approach to business is buying distressed assets and making them viable to sell at a profit. We aren't interesting for anyone that would be worthwhile for him to sell to unless we made the prem
    No, very fair point. Although as we know football is a different ball game. It's going to cost someone like Ashley a significant sum of money to take over Charlton and get them to the Prem. My point is that whilst what he did at Newcastle was indeed quite a sensible way to run things and it's not like he was a total failure, the scenario with a League 1 Charlton would require a completely different approach. Which is why you're probably right, Ashley wouldn't be interested.