Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• But there is no evidence that of those potentially interested, Ashley is one of them. In fact we have been told he isn't. 
    We’ve also been told he’s interested and could be at a game soon.
  • edited October 2022
    Given that we have absolutely zero say in who Thomas sells to, I can't say I would be disappointed if it turns out to be Ashley when you think of the possible alternatives.
    Anyway, it seems a bit foolish debating the merits of a potential owner who has not given any indication he's interested.
    Edit. Just read scohams post above that suggests he is interested. Go for it Mike
  • Is there any actual evidence of Mike Ashley being interested in buying Charlton?
  • se9addick said:
    Is there any actual evidence of Mike Ashley being interested in buying Charlton?
    Yes, for a given value of evidence:

ButtleJR said:
    Ashley is interested, floating around the club at the moment. 

Posted yesterday by a poster with a fairly decent record for accuracy.

• Chunes said:
    I had a call from the club today (and a subsequent email) from someone called Christos Apostolopoulos,  "Commercial Sales Executive", a contact for season ticket holders. And trying to promote packages as my birthday is later on this month, for which I politely declined - just watching us play MK Dons on the 25th will be bad enough!

Is this someone new?
    He called me when I bought our season tickets. He said: "Welcome to the club" which I found a bit of a strange line considering I've been supporting Charlton for decades. Maybe I should be the one welcoming him to the club. 
    You'd better get in quick before he goes.
  • Loads of people have declared interest in buying Charlton in the past.

We always get browsed...then they either usually pull out and think nah not worth the agro, or they do buy us and a year later make it clear that it was a huge mistake.

My way of trying to brighten the mood this morning 

• Sponsored links:

• Newcastle haven't won the league since the 20s, and haven't won a major trophy since the 50s. Why does a big stadium entitle them to success?
  • Is a partnership TS/Ashley too outrageous?
  • I am interested in buying Charlton.
    Once I win big on Euromillions.
  • https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-addresses-reports-he-has-cut-140k-of-funding-for-charlton-athletics-academy/

States the figure is inaccurate, then goes on to list the ways he is cutting costs 😂
    Proper politicians answer there by trying to deflect it onto the players the academy produces.
  • seth plum said:
    I am interested in buying Charlton.
    Once I win big on Euromillions.
    Even then, a big EuroMillions win won't be enough
  • edited October 2022

Bet Dr Raylennes retinas have been burning holes in the back of their heads though!
  • Is a partnership TS/Ashley too outrageous?
    Mike Ashley on the drums…🥁

oh & I would also take Ashley as owner right now too..!!,we will again run out of options soon
  • edited October 2022
    Croydon said:
    Newcastle haven't won the league since the 20s, and haven't won a major trophy since the 50s. Why does a big stadium entitle them to success?
    No one said it entitles them to success, but if you're an established PL club (as they were for 15+ years before their first relegation under Ashley) with 50k fans turning up each week, then as fans i think you're entitled to expect better than a net spend of around 10m a season. And even that only increased in the last 3-4 years of his ownership as he realised he needed to invest a bit more to keep the club value up when he was looking to sell.

Is it really that much different to us wanting a new owner because TS is cutting costs and won't invest in the team and we're sat below the likes of Exeter, Shrewsbury, Port Vale, Fleetwood, Accrington and Cheltenham?

As fans we don't think we're entitled to success (we are Charlton after all), but generally i think we expect to have a decent team and be better than those clubs i've named above. And it was the same for Newcastle when they were in a relegation battle, sat below the likes of Swansea, Watford and Bournemouth.
  • Sponsored links:

• That's incredible from Brentford, reaching the PL whilst making an 81m profit.

Abysmal from your lot at Stoke though Bob.
  • edited October 2022
    Was Ashley good at negotiations for players who were leaving Newcastle? I remember when Liverpool signed Andy Carroll for 35million and there was outrage. 

He might warm to charltons academy prospects...and wouldn't sell them off straight away, or at least wait for an actual decent offer
  • You look at those numbers and wonder how clubs like ourselves, Wigan & Birmingham got themselves into so much trouble. And then you remember who we all had as owners over those ten years. 
  • That's incredible from Brentford, reaching the PL whilst making an 81m profit.

Abysmal from your lot at Stoke though Bob.

Yes it is, although some fans still think the Coates family don't do enough!

It's down to blind faith in managers and also fire sale cost cutting on relegation to ensure FFP is/was met.
  • Who’s ready to support the team at the SportsDirect.com Valley?
     If he gives Chuks a zero hours contract I'll be happy.
    Brilliant!

Charlton life gallows humour at its very best.
  • This is the story in the Mail linking Ashley to Wasps. Owning the stadium is a major attraction

• If Ashley treats his football employees like he treated his sports direct employees then we’re in even more trouble. 
  • SDAddick said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Ashley is interested, floating around the club at the moment. 
    Ashley is bad news. I have some Newcastle supporting friends and he is loathed for good reason. The way he ran the club was awful. The way he treats his workers is awful. He's just generally a clueless man. Just because he has money doesn't make him smart. 

Once again, it could get better than TS, but it could get a lot worse. And how well someone runs a football club isn't just down to their bank balance. 
    I think there could be an argument to suggest it is. Newcastle fans will turn on their mega-rich owners if they don't win anything in the next 3-5 years. That's what their fanbase is like.