Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• edited October 2022
    WSS said:
    I know it's mental saying this but I think Mike Ashley would be excellent for us. We'd not agree with all of his decisions (renaming the stadium) but I think we'd end up in a much better place than we have been for a few years.

Can't believe I typed that.
    No matter what  any new owner renamed The Valley as, it would still be the Valley to us & no doubt all/most of football
    Valley Parade has been "named" for a long time but I have never heard anyone ever call it anything other than Valley Parade.  The same is/was true of Odsal.

I live in Bradford before someone says they have never heard anyone call it anything :wink: 
  • Chunes said:
    People kicked off over the badge being covered up for a day. Can't imagine the reaction if Ashley wanted to rename the stadium people fought tooth and nail to win back. 
    Interesting question - would you rather the club/current owner of the club owned the stadium but renamed it due to sponsorship, or would you rather it was called The Valley and RD owned it.

(Ignoring the fact we'd all rather that RD didn't own it and it wasn't renamed.)
  • edited October 2022
    Chunes said:
    People kicked off over the badge being covered up for a day. Can't imagine the reaction if Ashley wanted to rename the stadium people fought tooth and nail to win back. 
    Number one priority is a competent owner, like Ashley, to get us out of L1 isn't it?  Right now, I don't care about the rest, as long as we're still playing at the Valley, which is what really matters and was fought for.

If having a branded stadium boosts turnover, then as turnover boosts the player wage budget, bring it on, but if it costs us in turnover with people turning their back on the Club, then don't bother with it. To forego any income is to harm our chances of promotion as the squad won't be as good.

Don't think RD has naming rights over the Valley btw. TS can have it sponsored.
  • Anyone buying us is obviously going to be doing so to try and get us in the premier league and then sell us on for profit and tbh I would back Ashley to do that with a higher chance of success than I would any other prospective owners of the sandgaard ilk who want to make a foray into owning a football club.
  • edited October 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    Anyone buying us is obviously going to be doing so to try and get us in the premier league and then sell us on for profit and tbh I would back Ashley to do that with a higher chance of success than I would any other prospective owners of the sandgaard ilk who want to make a foray into owning a football club.
    Ashley isn't an idiot though. He buys things dirt cheap and builds them up. The issue is we are not dirt cheap.

Given what RD wants for the Valley and the training ground, plus what TS allegedly wants as well, plus what we're currently losing each year, plus what it would cost to get us into even being being a top half championship side i think even a conservative estimate would put that outlay at close to 75m, and even more to get us to the PL.

RD - 40m (probably wants even more)
    TS - 5m (he'd want far more but i doubt he'd get it)
    2 years losses stuck in league one - at least 16m
    Players to build a squad to get us out of league one - 2-3m?
    Players to get us into the top half of the championship - 10-15m?
    Players to get us promoted to the PL - another 20m? (especially when competing with clubs who have parachute payments).

Would Ashley be bothered with that kind of spending without any hope of a return unless we got to the PL which would be at least 4-5 years away. And of course there's no guarantee we'd get there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Who’s ready to support the team at the SportsDirect.com Valley?
  • Jac_52 said:
    Anyone buying us is obviously going to be doing so to try and get us in the premier league and then sell us on for profit and tbh I would back Ashley to do that with a higher chance of success than I would any other prospective owners of the sandgaard ilk who want to make a foray into owning a football club.
    Ashley isn't an idiot though. He buys things dirt cheap and builds them up. The issue is we are not dirt cheap.

Given what RD wants for the Valley and the training ground, plus what TS allegedly wants as well, plus what we're currently losing each year, plus what it would cost to get us into even being being a top half championship side i think even a conservative estimate would put that outlay at close to 75m, and even more to get us to the PL.

RD - 40m (probably wants even more)
    TS - 5m (he'd want far more but i doubt he'd get it)
    2 years losses stuck in league one - at least 16m
    Players to build a squad to get us out of league one - 2-3m?
    Players to get us into the top half of the championship - 10-15m?
    Players to get us promoted to the PL - another 20m? (especially when competing with clubs who have parachute payments).

Would Ashley be bothered with that kind of spending without any hope of a return unless we got to the PL which would be at least 4-5 years away. And of course there's no guarantee we'd get there.

Only Mike Ashley knows if he thinks it's worth it for the return he'd get or even has the appetite to even try.

I don't think he'll care about the stadium though personally. Why pay whatever ridiculous sum Roland wants for it when you can just pay for the existing lease the club has? Makes no financial sense for where we are at the moment.
    Doesn't matter what they rename it. It will still be the valley to us...
  • redbuttle said:
    Who’s ready to support the team at the SportsDirect.com Valley?
    Doesn't matter what they rename it. It will still be The Valley to us...

• Just had a look for Joachim Sandgaards Twitter, 
    seems he’s trying to masquerade as Rui Pinto now! 

Trying to take the edge off the whistleblower?
  • sammy391 said:
    Just had a look for Joachim Sandgaards Twitter, 
    seems he’s trying to masquerade as Rui Pinto now! 

Trying to take the edge off the whistleblower?
    Yep I’m sure that’s the case. He’s also blocked a lot of fans, including those he didn’t interact with. Others said Raelynn was following him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    But he wouldn’t be covering the badge up would he?
  • lonman said:

TBH maybe his son shouldn't say it. But I reckon it's true. The uplift in numbers will be marginal. Happy to be proved wrong. 
    The uplift in fans will be marginal, just like the size of the discounts.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    WSS said:
    I know it's mental saying this but I think Mike Ashley would be excellent for us. We'd not agree with all of his decisions (renaming the stadium) but I think we'd end up in a much better place than we have been for a few years.

Can't believe I typed that.
    No matter what  any new owner renamed The Valley as, it would still be the Valley to us & no doubt all/most of football
    Valley Parade has been "named" for a long time but I have never heard anyone ever call it anything other than Valley Parade.  The same is/was true of Odsal.

I live in Bradford before someone says they have never heard anyone call it anything :wink: 
    Same and I couldn’t even tell you what the official sponsored name is at the moment. 
    Happy to accept that if Ashley also gives Garner the funds to get out of the third tier.
  • Well I suppose moving to another owner with a track record of paying peanuts for staff and treating them like shit would be familiar.
  • But there is no evidence that of those potentially interested, Ashley is one of them. In fact we have been told he isn't. 
  • edited October 2022
    Croydon said:
    Jesus. Are people really seeing Ashley as a reasonable replacement for Sandergaard?

There has been uproar about the treatment of staff, look at the treatment of Sports Direct Staff under Ashley's watch......

Newcastle fans despise him. We would simply be jumping from a sinking ship to a burning one.
    Newcastle fans despise him from nothing other than their own delusions of grandeur.
    I can't agree with that.

His net spend on transfers was something like £3m a year while others spent millions, and while they were getting a load in TV money etc, plus he used them for however much free advertising.

He was like a Glazers-lite type in that respect.

He appointed the likes of Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew (recently sacked by L1 Southampton) etc.  They got relegated twice under his ownership.

There are worse owners, but there are far better too.
    So he kept them in the prem for the vast majority of his ownership and isn’t good enough for some Charlton fans? 

Maybe it’s not Newcastle that are the deluded idiots. 
    Everyone's a critic!

I've said above there are a lot worse owners, but there are a lot better too.

He didn't keep a club the size of us in the Premier League for years on end.  He kept a club that by rights should probably be there every season (and had been for 15 years) in the league for most of the seasons he was there, getting relegated twice  using their own money and not his for the most part.

I don't get why thinking a guy who took money out of a club, appointed some terrible managers there etc was all sunshine and light is that deluded.
  • Croydon said:
    Jesus. Are people really seeing Ashley as a reasonable replacement for Sandergaard?

There has been uproar about the treatment of staff, look at the treatment of Sports Direct Staff under Ashley's watch......

Newcastle fans despise him. We would simply be jumping from a sinking ship to a burning one.
    Newcastle fans despise him from nothing other than their own delusions of grandeur.
    I can't agree with that.

His net spend on transfers was something like £3m a year while others spent millions, and while they were getting a load in TV money etc, plus he used them for however much free advertising.

He was like a Glazers-lite type in that respect.

He appointed the likes of Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew (recently sacked by L1 Southampton) etc.  They got relegated twice under his ownership.

There are worse owners, but there are far better too.
    So he kept them in the prem for the vast majority of his ownership and isn’t good enough for some Charlton fans? 

Maybe it’s not Newcastle that are the deluded idiots. 
    "Kept them in the prem" - after the big 6, Newcastle are probably the next biggest club in the country. A club of their size should arguably be finishing top 10 every year, but he spent so little they were relegated twice.

Yes he got them back up, but even then you could argue a club with 50k fans, some half decent PL players and PL parachute payments should be pissing the championship anyway. Norwich do it every other year, so getting Newcastle back up is not an achievement.

I accept his ambitions (or lack of) with Newcastle would be completely different to what he'd need to do with us, but i'm simply putting a case forward of why Newcastle fans hated him, which many can't seem to understand.

Having said that though, i'd take him as our owner now simply because he'd have no choice but to invest and that is a million times better than what we're doing right now.