Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• I don't really know anything about the Wasps situation but looking at that article, how can their current owner be demanding 50m + a further 12m needed for running costs for a club that is going to be wound up in 6 days time?

How much would he get if the club is wound up?
  • I don't really know anything about the Wasps situation but looking at that article, how can their current owner be demanding 50m + a further 12m needed for running costs for a club that is going to be wound up in 6 days time?

How much would he get if the club is wound up?
    Could be a sting in the tail if he isnt careful
  • Croydon said:
    Jesus. Are people really seeing Ashley as a reasonable replacement for Sandergaard?

There has been uproar about the treatment of staff, look at the treatment of Sports Direct Staff under Ashley's watch......

Newcastle fans despise him. We would simply be jumping from a sinking ship to a burning one.
    Newcastle fans despise him from nothing other than their own delusions of grandeur.
    I can't agree with that.

His net spend on transfers was something like £3m a year while others spent millions, and while they were getting a load in TV money etc, plus he used them for however much free advertising.

He was like a Glazers-lite type in that respect.

He appointed the likes of Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew (recently sacked by L1 Southampton) etc.  They got relegated twice under his ownership.

There are worse owners, but there are far better too.
    So he kept them in the prem for the vast majority of his ownership and isn’t good enough for some Charlton fans? 

Maybe it’s not Newcastle that are the deluded idiots. 
    "Kept them in the prem" - after the big 6, Newcastle are probably the next biggest club in the country. A club of their size should arguably be finishing top 10 every year, but he spent so little they were relegated twice.

Yes he got them back up, but even then you could argue a club with 50k fans, some half decent PL players and PL parachute payments should be pissing the championship anyway. Norwich do it every other year, so getting Newcastle back up is not an achievement.

I accept his ambitions (or lack of) with Newcastle would be completely different to what he'd need to do with us, but i'm simply putting a case forward of why Newcastle fans hated him, which many can't seem to understand.

Having said that though, i'd take him as our owner now simply because he'd have no choice but to invest and that is a million times better than what we're doing right now.
    Oh I understand it, I just think it makes them over entitled twats, despising someone because they won’t spunk millions on someone’s hobby, no fan is entitled to that. 
  • To1SCP said:
    Why would anyone want to buy CAFC. no one knows if Ashley is interested but people are already slagging  him off.
    Any prospective owner looks on here, they will run for the hills
    The richest person in the world could spend their entire wealth on us and it still wouldn’t be enough for some on here
    Yeah it's weird it's almost like we look at their past experience, how they made their wealth, and how they treat their employees as a way of trying to gauge how they would run Charlton. 
  • Addick_8 said:
    SDAddick said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Ashley is interested, floating around the club at the moment. 
    Ashley is bad news. I have some Newcastle supporting friends and he is loathed for good reason. The way he ran the club was awful. The way he treats his workers is awful. He's just generally a clueless man. Just because he has money doesn't make him smart. 

Once again, it could get better than TS, but it could get a lot worse. And how well someone runs a football club isn't just down to their bank balance. 
    I think there could be an argument to suggest it is. Newcastle fans will turn on their mega-rich owners if they don't win anything in the next 3-5 years. That's what their fanbase is like.
    I mean they're a fanbae that still idolized the Entertainers who won nothing. 

Yes, you need to have a lot of money to own and run a football club, but having a lot of money does not mean you will run a football club well. 
  • Croydon said:
    Jesus. Are people really seeing Ashley as a reasonable replacement for Sandergaard?

There has been uproar about the treatment of staff, look at the treatment of Sports Direct Staff under Ashley's watch......

Newcastle fans despise him. We would simply be jumping from a sinking ship to a burning one.
    Newcastle fans despise him from nothing other than their own delusions of grandeur.
    I can't agree with that.

His net spend on transfers was something like £3m a year while others spent millions, and while they were getting a load in TV money etc, plus he used them for however much free advertising.

He was like a Glazers-lite type in that respect.

He appointed the likes of Kinnear, McClaren, Pardew (recently sacked by L1 Southampton) etc.  They got relegated twice under his ownership.

There are worse owners, but there are far better too.
    So he kept them in the prem for the vast majority of his ownership and isn’t good enough for some Charlton fans? 

Maybe it’s not Newcastle that are the deluded idiots. 
    "Kept them in the prem" - after the big 6, Newcastle are probably the next biggest club in the country. A club of their size should arguably be finishing top 10 every year, but he spent so little they were relegated twice.

Yes he got them back up, but even then you could argue a club with 50k fans, some half decent PL players and PL parachute payments should be pissing the championship anyway. Norwich do it every other year, so getting Newcastle back up is not an achievement.

I accept his ambitions (or lack of) with Newcastle would be completely different to what he'd need to do with us, but i'm simply putting a case forward of why Newcastle fans hated him, which many can't seem to understand.

Having said that though, i'd take him as our owner now simply because he'd have no choice but to invest and that is a million times better than what we're doing right now.
    Oh I understand it, I just think it makes them over entitled twats, despising someone because they won’t spunk millions on someone’s hobby, no fan is entitled to that. 
    Isn't that where Sandgaard is heading with us though?

No longer investing in transfer fees, cutting costs across the entire club, wanting to break even, taking us backwards.

Are we 'over entitled twats' because we expect to be better than where we currently are?
    I sort of agree with you both. It always feels a bit, ahem, rich of people baying to TS to spend more of his own money on the club. But we spend our single talent on the club too - and he's taken on the responsibility of running it, so why shouldn't we have a say? Ultimately, for us it is emotion, for him it is business, and both are looking increasingly fucked
  • Sponsored links:

• Not this again… 
  • The Wasps situation is complicated and involves 5 different companies. Once / if they go into admin he could pick up the rugby club quite cheaply but I’m not sure about the company that owns the stadium. Rugby is a labour of love. Businessmen who back rugby clubs very rarely get a return on the investment so I’m really surprised that Mike Ashley is taking an interest in Wasps. Now if he was interested in Coventry City as part of the package, that would be a different kettle of fish 
  • TS cutting the budget at the academy?

The SLP: 'Skintgaard has described the figure mentioned as “not accurate”.'

That's not a denial.
    Promoted Anthony Hayes and didn't replace him.
    Also savings on travel, physios(!) "not dictated by me(TS)" so he's a bystander on the academy budget too!

I've worked out when Skintgaard is lying: - his lips move

I ain't got the first clue what he's up to, what he thinks he's up to and what he's getting out of it.  I do know I don't trust his judgement.  I do know that the onfield situation has deteriorated steadily since his hands have been on the tiller.
    His next decision will have to be: put up with Garner's inept bumbling in the feint hope Lady Luck bestows points on us or bite the bullet find a replacement and cough up the bumbler's compo. 
    I've no expectation TS wakes up to the reality of his hopelessness as the club's CEO, gets in someone competent and risks another chunk of his wealth and credibility on reversing the accelerating decline he is currently masterminding. 
  • edited October 2022
    SDAddick said:
    Addick_8 said:
    SDAddick said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Ashley is bad news. I have some Newcastle supporting friends and he is loathed for good reason. The way he ran the club was awful. The way he treats his workers is awful. He's just generally a clueless man. Just because he has money doesn't make him smart. 

Once again, it could get better than TS, but it could get a lot worse. And how well someone runs a football club isn't just down to their bank balance. 
    I think there could be an argument to suggest it is. Newcastle fans will turn on their mega-rich owners if they don't win anything in the next 3-5 years. That's what their fanbase is like.
    I mean they're a fanbae that still idolized the Entertainers who won nothing. 

Yes, you need to have a lot of money to own and run a football club, but having a lot of money does not mean you will run a football club well. 
    Precisely, as we keep finding to our cost. It's not that TS hasn't spent money, but how. For his outlay so far, we should be doing better, but he's made unwise choices.
  • To1SCP said:
    Why would anyone want to buy CAFC. no one knows if Ashley is interested but people are already slagging  him off.
    Any prospective owner looks on here, they will run for the hills
    The richest person in the world could spend their entire wealth on us and it still wouldn’t be enough for some on here
    I'd rather find out what he's like from people that know, than stick my fingers in my ears tbh. I had forgotten the facts about his ownership of Newcastle, and it was good to be reminded.
    I have a feeling that if anyone really is interested in buying the club it'll be people we know nothing about.
  • redbuttle said:
    Who’s ready to support the team at the SportsDirect.com Valley?
    Doesn't matter what they rename it. It will still be the valley to us...
    Ok so what seems to be the solution to our issues is that we need to find.........

A Billionaire willing to invest and lose £M's BUT !!!!!!

They cant change anything ! 

Deluded isnt the word for us lot !!
  • swordfish said:
    Chunes said:
    People kicked off over the badge being covered up for a day. Can't imagine the reaction if Ashley wanted to rename the stadium people fought tooth and nail to win back. 
    Number one priority is a competent owner, like Ashley, to get us out of L1 isn't it?  Right now, I don't care about the rest, as long as we're still playing at the Valley, which is what really matters and was fought for.

If having a branded stadium boosts turnover, then as turnover boosts the player wage budget, bring it on, but if it costs us in turnover with people turning their back on the Club, then don't bother with it. To forego any income is to harm our chances of promotion as the squad won't be as good.

Don't think RD has naming rights over the Valley btw. TS can have it sponsored.
    If I woke up tomorrow and found Ashley had bought us, I’d be happy 
  • Who’s ready to support the team at the SportsDirect.com Valley?
    Me rather than the current shite - as long as it’s still called the valley, who cares 
  • Sponsored links:

• The only way Ashely is going to get involved with us is if he can see real value in the upside. Unless he gets it really cheap I cant see him being interested. 

• Addick_8 said:
    SDAddick said:
    ButtleJR said:

All fanbases are 
  • supaclive said:
    The only way Ashely is going to get involved with us is if he can see real value in the upside. Unless he gets it really cheap I cant see him being interested. 

It will be REALLY cheap - because he won't buy the stadium until he reaches the Premiership.   At that point, the guaranteed £150m+ makes his investment into acquiring the club, buying players and then buying the ground when we get to the Premier, means it's money well spent.

If he refuses to spend lots when we get there and we become a yo yo club like Norwich and Watford until he sells up, again, I don't have a problem.

We are currently just outside the relegation zone of League 1..... yes.... our lowest ever ebb...
    Can’t see it without the property play. 
  • supaclive said:
    The only way Ashely is going to get involved with us is if he can see real value in the upside. Unless he gets it really cheap I cant see him being interested. 

It will be REALLY cheap - because he won't buy the stadium until he reaches the Premiership.   At that point, the guaranteed £150m+ makes his investment into acquiring the club, buying players and then buying the ground when we get to the Premier, means it's money well spent.

If he refuses to spend lots when we get there and we become a yo yo club like Norwich and Watford until he sells up, again, I don't have a problem.

We are currently just outside the relegation zone of League 1..... yes.... our lowest ever ebb...
    Can’t see it without the property play. 
    He doesn't need the property until we make the Premiership.    Why outlay money until it's needed to be spent.   Say it takes him 4 years to get us into the Premiership - if he's lucky.   He lays out £35m to buy the ground etc now or he waits 4 years and it's still £35m.   Cost of money £35m at say a rate of 5% + he could get elsewhere on his investments.   5% for 4 years on £35m.... that's an effective "saving" to him of £7m !

You do not need to buy the ground until we make the Premiership.   You just need to have an agreed deal with the landlord..... Rich people don't spend £35m if they don't need to but can still lock in the price at that!

• Why are people getting excited about Ashley when he is buying Wasps and Coventry? 
  • edited October 2022
    Why are people getting excited about Ashley when he is buying Wasps and Coventry? 
    Because the only bit of success this club will have this season is a change of ownership.