Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• JUST a quiet six months off the field please...  That's all I want.  I can take the team being shit, I am used to that but it is the constant shenanigans, the shysters, the rockin roll wannabes that have ground me down
  • Gammon said:
    Bilko said:
    Who’s ready to support the team at the SportsDirect.com Valley?
    It will always be The Valley to me. Anyone with a right mind will call it that regardless. So I wouldn’t have a problem with it, I’m afraid it’s the sign of the times.
    Probably in the minority but I’d hate this with a passion. Completely the opposite of what I want football and especially Charlton to be like. I honestly would rather be in league 2 with our own identity than be promoted as a plastic football club
    Are you enjoying the football at the moment?
    it will only get worse for us to end up in league 2
  • RedChaser said:
    Five foot? Sounds more like @Elfsborg but he’s only 58😉
    58 my arse
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2022
    Fumbluff said:
    RedChaser said:
    Five foot? Sounds more like @Elfsborg but he’s only 58😉
    58 my arse
    You are 11 short...
  • edited October 2022
    @Redmidland’ s youngest boy 😉
  • Boom 💥 
  • Who needs Mike Ashley, we’ve got Tommy S! 
  • American billionaire John McEvoy is considering a bid to buy Championship club Coventry City and the Coventry Building Society Arena.

Any takeover would be headed up by John Dawkins, a Sky Blues fan who is the UK managing director of record label Various Artists Management.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63219478

• edited October 2022
    Do people think if a serious amount of money was available for naming rights over The Valley that successive regimes would have rejected it? Regimes with such a strong attraction to the club’s traditions and history as Duchatelet’s? Or the spivs?

Charlton struggle to get six figures for shirt sponsorship. Look at the matchday ads on the new boards and figure how many are contras or freebies. Look at the empty kit sponsorship pages in the programme. The market isn't there for Charlton in L1.

Sure, someone like Ashley can plaster the ground with their own ads, but I seriously doubt it is worth any significant amount in cash terms. 
    It wasn't in the Championship either.

Sponsors do seem to be attracted to other Clubs though, many of smaller stature than us, who must find it generates enough revenue to make it worthwhile, so good for them.

It's not a ponderable I'd waste much time on, but isn't there more to it than just league standing to explain the obvious lack of interest as it's so commonplace these days, or so it seems to me?
  • Scoham said:
    Speaking as a shareholder that is all good news...surprised there was no background guitar music though.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    The only way Ashely is going to get involved with us is if he can see real value in the upside. Unless he gets it really cheap I cant see him being interested. 

It will be REALLY cheap - because he won't buy the stadium until he reaches the Premiership.   At that point, the guaranteed £150m+ makes his investment into acquiring the club, buying players and then buying the ground when we get to the Premier, means it's money well spent.

If he refuses to spend lots when we get there and we become a yo yo club like Norwich and Watford until he sells up, again, I don't have a problem.

We are currently just outside the relegation zone of League 1..... yes.... our lowest ever ebb...
    Can’t see it without the property play. 
    He doesn't need the property until we make the Premiership.    Why outlay money until it's needed to be spent.   Say it takes him 4 years to get us into the Premiership - if he's lucky.   He lays out £35m to buy the ground etc now or he waits 4 years and it's still £35m.   Cost of money £35m at say a rate of 5% + he could get elsewhere on his investments.   5% for 4 years on £35m.... that's an effective "saving" to him of £7m !

You do not need to buy the ground until we make the Premiership.   You just need to have an agreed deal with the landlord..... Rich people don't spend £35m if they don't need to but can still lock in the price at that!

Who would trust Duchatelet not to try an extort a King's Ransom for the land if we made the PL? Even if new owners don't acquire it upfront it would be wise to get options to buy in place that offer some protection.
  • swordfish said:
    Do people think if a serious amount of money was available for naming rights over The Valley that successive regimes would have rejected it? Regimes with such a strong attraction to the club’s traditions and history as Duchatelet’s? Or the spivs?

Charlton struggle to get six figures for shirt sponsorship. Look at the matchday ads on the new boards and figure how many are contras or freebies. Look at the empty kit sponsorship pages in the programme. The market isn't there for Charlton in L1.

Sure, someone like Ashley can plaster the ground with their own ads, but I seriously doubt it is worth any significant amount in cash terms. 

Sponsors do seem to be attracted to other Clubs though, many of smaller stature than us, who must find it generates enough revenue to make it worthwhile, so good for them.

It's not a ponderable I'd waste much time on, but isn't there more to it than just league standing to explain the obvious lack of interest as it's so commonplace these days, or so it seems to me?
    I’m sure Charlton could get it sponsored, it just wouldn’t be for very much. I have no information about what some of these lower division deals are worth, but if they are say 25-50,000 then they may not be worth the effort.

There’s a reason Charlton have partnerships with UoG and RBG, plus companies run by supporters, rather than big private entities, and I assume it’s the nature of suburban London. In provincial town and cities you are more likely to get companies of scale with a local identity.
    I did think geography must play a part, but wasn't able to think why. Your assumption makes sense.

I only realised recently that Reading had signed up to a deal with Select Car Leasing, but haven't seen how much it's worth to them over the 10 year term. It'll be for more than for those clubs with stadium branding deals in place in the lower leagues obviously.

• swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

I’m sure Charlton could get it sponsored, it just wouldn’t be for very much. I have no information about what some of these lower division deals are worth, but if they are say 25-50,000 then they may not be worth the effort.

There’s a reason Charlton have partnerships with UoG and RBG, plus companies run by supporters, rather than big private entities, and I assume it’s the nature of suburban London. In provincial town and cities you are more likely to get companies of scale with a local identity.
    I did think geography must play a part, but wasn't able to think why. Your assumption makes sense.

I only realised recently that Reading had signed up to a deal with Select Car Leasing, but haven't seen how much it's worth to them over the 10 year term. It'll be for more than for those clubs with stadium branding deals in place in the lower leagues obviously.

Think the big numbers are for teams that are generally on TV more, so you can cover a worldwide audience. 7k ish vs Exeter at home and a few thousand on Charlton TV isn’t going to attract big numbers. The only was this would work would be if you can guarantee exposure through other means. So if we had the you tubers every other week at the valley the ground sponsorship may be a bit more lucrative ……. 
  • swordfish said:

A lot of L1 clubs go in for stuff like sponsored announcements, which are tacky and probably worth sod all, but I don’t recall seeing electronic boards promoting quite so much nonsense as we have at The Valley (the official EPOS supplier, cost reduction partner, etc). It looks a bit desperate but I don’t think we should just assume it’s poor performance by those responsible.
    I think thje biggest advantage of those new boards are that it is very easy to change what they are advertising - even on a match-by-match basis.  So when a game, like the Portsmoth game, is on Sky then (if the sales team at CAFC are on the ball) they will be pushing for bigger companies and bigger revenue.  May even be something Sky would promote as the advertising would, potentially, tie in with Sky commercial breaks.
  • MarcusH26 said:

Andrew Barclay tweet saying the circumstances would have to change for him 
    What does this even mean though?

Is he saying unless or until RD reaches out to him to say I’m open to selling the freehold to you then nothing changes?

It’s not in the gift of TS to influence this as not his to sell. 

Sounds to me it’s dead in the water and no efforts being made to change that. 

I still find it odd that he can’t get in front of RD despite the history of the perception he had of PV etc. Easy to park that as the eccentricity of RD but at the end of the day RD is sitting on an asset that he is not exploiting as far as he might. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Andrew Barclay tweet saying the circumstances would have to change for him 
    What does this even mean though?

Is he saying unless or until RD reaches out to him to say I’m open to selling the freehold to you then nothing changes?

It’s not in the gift of TS to influence this as not his to sell. 

Sounds to me it’s dead in the water and no efforts being made to change that. 

I still find it odd that he can’t get in front of RD despite the history of the perception he had of PV etc. Easy to park that as the eccentricity of RD but at the end of the day RD is sitting on an asset that he is not exploiting as far as he might. 

I took it to be that unless RD comes to the table with a deal for the ground and SL then Barclay isn't interested.
    Agree that's how it likely reads. But how realistic is it that RD needs to be the first to move - if he is genuinely interested in running a football club why wouldn't he nudge it?
  • Barclay is a Chelsea fan and would only be interested if it included The Valley ans Sparrows Lane

alo remember he mase a lot of money in real estate

whilst he has a lot of money would you not be worried hes looking to maximise the land value