Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    This prob not the correct thread.. but I heard tonight, that RD only owns The Valley and Sparrows Lane is owned by Murray and ex directors.. this might be false news. Or old news! 
     Not true.
  • ....But don't let the truth stop us from having a melt down - Murray ?!!!!
  • Off_it said:
    Funny isnt it, we win some games and this thread isnt so popular .....
    Feels weird to be celebrating and complaining at the same time.
  • Off_it said:
    I guess similar to the Aneke one. Seems folk are not counting his goals and appearances the way they counted all the game he missed.
  • edited November 2022
    Sandgaard out (as soon as we stop winning)!
  • https://www.birminghamworld.uk/sport/football/birmingham-city/bimingham-city-fc-ownership-football-regulator-3909991 

"Subject of Fan Led Review was raised in Parliament by Birmingham MP - Ms Mahmood appeared in the House of Commons on Monday night (7 November), leading a debate on the governance and financial sustainability of football clubs in England.  

"The Government said it would establish an independent regulator in April, [ie April 2022] and twenty-nine clubs have now written to the Government urging it to now implement the plans."

I wonder whether Charlton is one of those clubs, and if not, why not?  

And did our local MP participate in the debate?

When it comes down to it, Sandgaard is a businessman and when selling will do the deal which is best for his bank balance,  So those calling for Sandgaard to sell up should hope the recommendations of the review are implemented first, or we could so easily end up once again in the hands of the ilk of ESI / Bassini / etc.  

• Off_it said:
    Because people don’t want to hear it, rather than because short-term results demonstrate underlying change. Nothing is going to happen on the pitch to make Sandgaard’s ownership work, IMO, but most of us are interested in the football in front of us most of the time. Otherwise we wouldn’t be paying attention at all.
    The only thing that can make his ownership work, is on the pitch. 

Get into the playoffs, win them and suddenly everything could look a lot different.
  • Off_it said:
    I guess similar to the Aneke one. Seems folk are not counting his goals and appearances the way they counted all the game he missed.
    You're so right. It's just like that. Exactly.

It's almost as if now he's back available and playing there's no longer a need to count the games he's not available or playing in. 

Bizarre. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:
    Because people don’t want to hear it, rather than because short-term results demonstrate underlying change. Nothing is going to happen on the pitch to make Sandgaard’s ownership work, IMO, but most of us are interested in the football in front of us most of the time. Otherwise we wouldn’t be paying attention at all.

Get into the playoffs, win them and suddenly everything could look a lot different.
    Not gonna happen with this squad, once all the games in hand have been played, I suspect we will be back in mid-table looking up.  
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    You're so right. It's just like that. Exactly.

It's almost as if now he's back available and playing there's no longer a need to count the games he's not available or playing in. 

Bizarre. 
    Surely you don't really find any of this "funny" or bizarre?
    You've been around long enough to know it was ever thus.
    People basically just want a successful football team, beyond that most won't concern themselves with the finer points.
    It is only when the team is failing, being badly run, making wrong choices etc that people look for reasons and scapegoats.
    We seem to be on an upswing.
    But Chuks is one setback away from coming under scrutiny again.
    And  any discontent with Sandguard is simply bubbling away just below the surface. This thread will come alive soon I bet  ;)

• Off_it said:

Not gonna happen with this squad, once all the games in hand have been played, I suspect we will be back in mid-table looking up.  
    Yes, it’s very unlikely, but it’s the only way this situation gets any better. 
  • I was definitely thinking more along the lines of a sale, which I just don’t see happening in league one, the pot gold is too far away
  • edited November 2022
    I was definitely thinking more along the lines of a sale, which I just don’t see happening in league one, the pot gold is too far away
    Well we've spent most the of last 15 years in L1 and managed to be sold twice in that time, so its possible. Admittedly we had spells in the championship in those 15 years, so that could have been the catalyst in both those cases. 
  • Off_it said:

I think that’s possible but unlikely. It would likely reduce losses and make the club more attractive to a buyer, but I don’t think it would solve Sandgaard’s central problem which is that he wants the club to be self-financing (a reasonable ambition but not an obviously deliverable one under current conditions). That is unlikely to be consistent with Championship football and attempts to do it will likely result in relegation in the medium term. I’m sure we’d all feel much better about Championship football but the route to break even is the Premier League and that will need major investment, as well as more competence than he has so far demonstrated.
    And any owner with ambitions to get to the Prem, with a club currently in Div 3 would have to weigh up what is really needed £££’s wise to first get out of Div 3, then out of Div 2, and into the Prem and stay in the Prem having got there

The amount of money must be mind boggling…..
  • Off_it said:

There’s only Lincoln with a game in hand who can catch us below us so we won’t really move any further down then where we are. And I assume some of the teams with games in hand above us probably have to play each other?

You could then argue that apart from Port Vale who are 11th currently we don’t play a team higher than 17th for 4 fixtures.

Not saying it will happen, although with Aneke staying fit you never know, but if we go on a little run and win all those games with how tight the league is I am confident we would probably be in a play off position. 
  • Off_it said:

There’s only Lincoln with a game in hand who can catch us below us so we won’t really move any further down then where we are. 
    Challenge accepted. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2022
    Off_it said:

I think that’s possible but unlikely. It would likely reduce losses and make the club more attractive to a buyer, but I don’t think it would solve Sandgaard’s central problem which is that he wants the club to be self-financing (a reasonable ambition but not an obviously deliverable one under current conditions). That is unlikely to be consistent with Championship football and attempts to do it will likely result in relegation in the medium term. I’m sure we’d all feel much better about Championship football but the route to break even is the Premier League and that will need major investment, as well as more competence than he has so far demonstrated.
    And any owner with ambitions to get to the Prem, with a club currently in Div 3 would have to weigh up what is really needed £££’s wise to first get out of Div 3, then out of Div 2, and into the Prem and stay in the Prem having got there

The amount of money must be mind boggling…..
    I think that owning a club like Charlton the less money your prepared to lose the more expensive it becomes.  Counterintuitive I know.

If I was advising any potential buyer (God knows why they would ask me) I would tell them be prepared to lose £10 million a year and your lose a lot less, if you spend it wisely.  If your only prepared to lose 3, 4 or 5 it will end up costing far, far more.
  • https://twitter.com/franco_5_/status/1590434848157863937?s=46&t=GgvJvSBRdEucAE_8tVR-Mw

Presumably we may get a few players worth of finance then? 

Gunter, Lockyer?, Williams, Smith? & wallacot
  • No to Lockyer (last game July 2020) and Smith (last game Feb 2020).

Yes to Gunter (March 2022), Williams (Jan 2021) and Wollacott.

Levitt? 

Levitt? 
    Loans don't count do they?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    No to Lockyer (last game July 2020) and Smith (last game Feb 2020).

Levitt? 
    Absolutely no idea. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    No to Lockyer (last game July 2020) and Smith (last game Feb 2020).

Levitt? 
    Absolutely no idea. 
    Suppose it depends on the amount of the players salary is being paid by the club.
  • Off_it said:

Win tomorrow and we could be 1 point off the play offs.