Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match day ticket prices for 2022/2023

Comments

• Options
    If Thomas was playing ‘Football Tycoon’ on his PC he would scrap this game and start again. Totally incoherent strategy in the last year. 
  • Options
    Or if airman ain’t available, I or any other long standing fan could do it 
  • Options
    It seems to me it really shouldn't be rocket science.

The club have set their stall to a degree with the season ticket pricing, which for adults are;

£625
    £425
    £285

Which on a 23 game season equates to

£27.18
    £18.47
    £12.40

They need to show value for ST holders, so just add around 10% to the above for match by match pricing and get rid of all the silly discounting if bought before a certain date.

At a guess, £30, £21, £14.

As well as ticketing I wonder how much isn't spent on food/drinks etc due to price, they seem a much bigger rip off than the tickets. Nearly £3 for a bottle of coke I think and well over £2 for a small bottle of water! I'm tempted to get a street stall licence outside and pop to Makro's on my way to the game!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    Or if airman ain’t available, I or any other long standing fan could do it 
    I thing you’d struggle to find anyone outside Thomas’s immediate family who thinks the current pricing is sensible..
    Not sure that is correct. You might possibly find one or two Palace or Millwall fans that could consider Charlton’s ticketing approach and impact is inspired. Lower crowds at the valley probably isn’t totally unwelcome for the rest of the teams in L1 either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's mental
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

The club have set their stall to a degree with the season ticket pricing, which for adults are;

£625
    £425
    £285

£27.18
    £18.47
    £12.40

They need to show value for ST holders, so just add around 10% to the above for match by match pricing and get rid of all the silly discounting if bought before a certain date.

As well as ticketing I wonder how much isn't spent on food/drinks etc due to price, they seem a much bigger rip off than the tickets. Nearly £3 for a bottle of coke I think and well over £2 for a small bottle of water! I'm tempted to get a street stall licence outside and pop to Makro's on my way to the game!
    The range of prices - season tickets as well as match day - is unjustifiable and makes no sense either. The whole structure is broken and needs a complete refresh. It has been broken since 2014 to be fair, but this season has reached a new level of uselessness.

The one positive is that there is headroom in the season tickets to reset the match tickets. I wonder if anyone has paid £625 but it will be a very low number who could be refunded at minimal cost.

Starting from where we are, I’d cut the prices to £20, £23 and £27 with no increase. Then you’d have a chance.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

£625
    £425
    £285

£27.18
    £18.47
    £12.40

The range of prices - season tickets as well as match day - is unjustifiable and makes no sense either. The whole structure is broken and needs a complete refresh. It has been broken since 2014 to be fair, but this season has reached a new level of uselessness.

The one positive is that there is headroom in the season tickets to reset the match tickets. I wonder if anyone has paid £625 but it will be a very low number who could be refunded at minimal cost.

Starting from where we are, I’d cut the prices to £20, £23 and £27 with no increase. Then you’d have a chance.

Sounds like a plan.

I've been waiting for the memberships to be released too. I've bought for Plymouth and Cambridge at full price because the club have been slow to decide this season's package. Only a couple of quid off a ticket but by missing the cut off for Plymouth I went from last season paying £25 or thereabouts to £33.50. Quite a jump.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    I’d like to know how somebody becomes a football ticket pricing consultant ??? Is there a degree u can do in it leading in to professional qualifications ? School of common sense would seem more appropriate 
    just being a complete knob on the face of it.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

£625
    £425
    £285

£27.18
    £18.47
    £12.40

Spot on, no idea why the Trust and the Fan Advisor have waited so long into the TS reign to start speaking out on this issue
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Rob7Lee said:

£625
    £425
    £285

£27.18
    £18.47
    £12.40

Spot on, no idea why the Trust and the Fan Advisor have waited so long into the TS reign to start speaking out on this issue
    The trouble is theyve got to want to listen.
    They thought last season that youd fill the valley out every home game by throwing free tickets around.
    It looks like this season they are going to try a different route.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Rob7Lee said:

£625
    £425
    £285

£27.18
    £18.47
    £12.40

The trouble is theyve got to want to listen.
    They thought last season that youd fill the valley out every home game by throwing free tickets around.
    It looks like this season they are going to try a different route.
    Both ideas are not well thought out. It's bizarre seeing as we were the club that was ground breaking in increasing attendances through a well designed pricing programme have so much difficulty with this now
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    We have got so much wrong with our pricing structure.  Off the top of my head these are the current issues:-

1.  The price of the season tickets with the exception of the Covered End Lower are too expensive

2. As a result of the season tickets the matchday prices are too high

3.  The daft surcharge before the game

4. 3 different pricing zones allowing supporters to buy in the cheaper areas and move to the more expensive ones

5.  The perception of the free tickets has done so much PR damage

This is what should have happened.

1.  The whole of the Covered End (from the Family stand around to the West Stand) should be the same price.  This would stop the nonsense of people buying n the family stand/lower covered end and going upstairs.  Matchday price should be £20, Season Ticket £340 (£320 Early Bird)

2. Alan Curbs Stand/West Upper should be the same price.  Matchday price should be £25, Season Ticket £420 (£400 Early Bird)

3 West Lower should be the same price  Matchday price should be £30, Season Ticket £500 (£480 Early Bird)

4.  Same price for season tickets and matchday prices for under 16s irrespective what stand they sit in

5.   2 £10 Games Per Season

6.  No give away tickets games/fill the Valley

7.  No season ticket holder benefits other than the points for the priority scheme for away games.

Keep the whole thing simple to understand and reward those paying up front for season tickets will have better long term results. 
    Much too sensible , to think the club paid a consultant to come up with this nonsense that we now have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:
    Derby are getting crowds of 28K in this league priced from £21. Suggest our ticketing consultant looks a bit more closely at what they are doing rather than living off Man U past glories. 
    Cut the price to zero, and we will not get gates of 28,000.  We should accept that we have a smallish core of regular supporters who are willing to follow us in the lower leagues for long periods of time, unlike Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday Derby etc.
    So to buck the trend, surely common sense would suggest that ticket prices might be where part of the problem lies ? 

Our owner appears totally entrenched in HIS way of doing things & sadly continues to follow his "logic" until the bitter end ...

Is this leopard likely to change his spots, I wonder.
  • Options
    Everyone agrees that the current ticket prices are too high and the £3 charge for buying in the 24 hour period before a game completely barking mad.

My last job in the Civil Service was running a small Quango. My Chairman was a multi-millionaire business man.

He had a wonderful habit of asking me questions but then answering them himself.

He once asked me what is the difference between the Civil Service and private industry. Before I could answer he told me.

In the Civil Service, if something clearly isn't working, you just carry on with it desperately trying to make it work. In private industry, if something clearly isn't working, you stop it and try something different.

Are we sure TS wasn't a Civil Servant in his previous life?
  • Options
    One of the things that irks me about this whole situation is the lack of explanation from the club - so far as I can tell - as to why these prices have been put in place, why the surcharge timing has changed, how the new prices compare to other League One clubs/other forms of entertainment in the area, where this leaves Fill The Valley which was supposed to be such a priority etc, etc

For all I know, not being a ticket pricing expert, there may be some very good reasons for the decisions that have been taken. But they are very hard to see, especially given the wider cost of living outlook that most of us are facing and is a massive issue right now. Just from looking at my own situation, not being an ST holder anymore but a very regular attendee over many years, I know that there is no way I'm paying those prices for this 'product' - almost on principle alone. Not when I can watch a far cheaper stream or just wait for free tickets to come along from whatever source. It isn't as if we can point to some significant improvements in 'the fan experience' or somesuch nonsense-speak to justify the increase. If anything, it's the opposite in North Lower at the two games I've been at this season.

I don't follow the twists and turns of the club particularly closely, but so far as I can tell the club has a Director of Comms/Comms Dept (albeit smaller than before), 3 Fan Engagement Team members - presumably paid - and a Fan Adviser with another due to be appointed. There has been a Twitter survey from said FA, and another survey from CAS Trust, in addition to the 475-odd comments here and however many there have been via social media etc. Yet nobody seems to know - or can say why - these decisions have been taken, 6 weeks after they were first announced. Which seems to me to be straight out of the Ryanair/Ratners (for older folk here) manual of how to treat your 'customers', and understandably leads to supporters feeling pissed off. Because despite creating a fan engagement industry at the club, if there is no sign that supporters are actually being listened to or at least shown some respect when they make their views known, whatever the window dressing it won't be long before it becomes the majority of fans pointing out to the Emperor and his acolytes that - in fact - he has no clothes. Given early attendances, maybe that's already started to happen. The point is, engagement - effective engagement at least - can't only be about transmission. The dial needs to be set to 'Receive' too.

Question is, is anybody listening?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    The club held a short notice meeting about ticketing strategy a few weeks ago at which a CAST rep and the Fan Advisor voiced strong concerns regarding the pricing. We’ll get results of the CAST survey out in the next few days and - no surprises - it will also show that the cost and match day surcharge are big areas of concern. 

We will put this very tangible and quantified  evidence to the club. Then we’ll see what the answer is to your final Q, @kielyskickingboots.
  • Options
    The club held a short notice meeting about ticketing strategy a few weeks ago at which a CAST rep and the Fan Advisor voiced strong concerns regarding the pricing. We’ll get results of the CAST survey out in the next few days and - no surprises - it will also show that the cost and match day surcharge are big areas of concern. 

We will put this very tangible and quantified  evidence to the club. Then we’ll see what the answer is to your final Q, @kielyskickingboots.
    Although the real evidence is the disapointing crowds. Season tickets 1,000 to 2,000 down I believe plus lower paying match customers. Obviously don't know the real picture as Saturday's attendance was affected by free tickets. Nevertheless I suspect Revenue is way below budget. It's this that will make the club listen. 
  • Options

That's good to know and I don't doubt it (apologies if the meeting you've referred to has been reported elsewhere and I've missed it), though my post was more a comment on the lack of comms/response up to this point from the club, and not a criticism of those I know are putting supporter views forward.

As I say, for all I know there may well be very good reasons. But to say so little when it's clearly a bone of contention for a lot of people right now is pretty disrespectful, in my opinion. Especially given the extent to which FTV was used to justify previous initiatives which were almost equally divisive. Where is that now, and how do prices fit in with that 'strategy' for example (not expecting you to have the answer)? It's a question of respect as much as anything for me.
  • Options
    Regarding the £3 surcharge, even the wording is poor. Why not advertise it as a £3 discount for buying early instead of a £3 punishment for buying late. Yes the base price goes up by £3 - from too high to even more too high - but at least there's a minor positive in there. I could be wrong, perhaps people respond better to stick than carrot.