Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 24th September 2022 - 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Wtf is Garnerball?
    Good question. :smile:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    So to sum up the above comments, we can’t score and we can’t defend but we are excellent between the boxes. Not all bad news then ...
    To be fair to BG, the bit that he can control (the style of play, the way we construct moves) was fine, but the bit he can’t control (shooting, defensive basics) were appalling. 
    I think key players let him down yesterday. 
    I make you right. 
    Morgan made no effort to close down the 1st goal scorer. If he had it's unlikely he would have scored.

Clare & O'Connell let their player through without putting in a challenge for the 2nd.

Lavelle came across getting in O'Connell's way, resulting in them both being at fault for the 3rd.

Garner is not blame free, but it was individuals laziness, poor judgement, poor decision making & poor play, that were the biggest problems. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    So to sum up the above comments, we can’t score and we can’t defend but we are excellent between the boxes. Not all bad news then ...
    To be fair to BG, the bit that he can control (the style of play, the way we construct moves) was fine, but the bit he can’t control (shooting, defensive basics) were appalling. 
    I think key players let him down yesterday. 
    I make you right. 
    Morgan made no effort to close down the 1st goal scorer. If he had it's unlikely he would have scored.

Clare & O'Connell let their player through without putting in a challenge for the 2nd.

Lavelle came across getting in O'Connell's way, resulting in them both being at fault for the 3rd.

Garner is not blame free, but it was individuals laziness, poor judgement, poor decision making & poor play, that were the biggest problems. 
    He checks his right shoulder then immediately starts running to the man?

The bigger issue on that one was that the opposite 10 was unmarked in the first place. He was Morgan's man, but Morgan was caught ball watching a bit, whilst by the look of it trying to stay fairly central ahead of Lavelle and O'Connell.

Still Morgan's mistake admittedly. 
  • Options
    Take another look Dazzler.
    He trotted a few steps towards the scorer, before turning sidewards giving him a free shot at goal. 
  • Options
    That is why a poor player makes it.
  • Options
    Why is foster caskey not in this team has he got a league appearance fee that the club can’t afford to pay or something. 
    As for it’s not Garners fault. It is if he keeps laying a system that the players can’t play. 
    433 sick of hearing everyone else uses it and are successful. We got 2 wingers who can’t cross and can’t shot and a centreforward that just spends the whole game wrestling with 2 centrebacks with no supply to score. 
    Barnsley didn’t even need to have a goalie Saturday. 
    Stockley should have been sold and replaced to play this system but he wasn’t so we should change the system. Until we get a forward that can play it. 442 leaburn and stockley up the middle Kirk and Jez on the wings banging crosses in.

• Options
    Why is foster caskey not in this team has he got a league appearance fee that the club can’t afford to pay or something. 
    As for it’s not Garners fault. It is if he keeps laying a system that the players can’t play. 
    433 sick of hearing everyone else uses it and are successful. We got 2 wingers who can’t cross and can’t shot and a centreforward that just spends the whole game wrestling with 2 centrebacks with no supply to score. 
    Stockley should have been sold and replaced to play this system but he wasn’t so we should change the system. Until we get a forward that can play it. 442 leaburn and stockley up the middle Kirk and Jez on the wings banging crosses in.

Skintgaard doesn’t want to spend a penny on appearance fees
  • Options
    Garner is being asked to play a style of football by Sandgaard  but has not been given the players to deliver. 
    This team has been put together by bringing in a load of players from league Two. 
    We have no left sided defender at the club.
    Our centre half partnership is not good enough. 
    Morgan is being given far to many chances despite being poor most of the time. 
    Stockley is like a fish out of water in this system. 
    Aneke is never fit meaning we only have a teenager as a replacement. 
    Sandgaard has totally failed to give Garner the tools to do the job.
    I cannot see things improving over the coming weeks and fear we are heading for a relegation scrap.
    This is what happens when you think you are cleverer than everyone else and try to do things on the cheap. 
    I predict our attendance at the valley will plummet over the winter months despite what the club announces. 
    How's your five year plan going Tommy ?
    Yes, agree 100 %

I have been a big supporter of Morgan but oh dear, no consistency.
    We also lack physical strength in midfield, the northern teams must especially love playing us.

As already posted a substantial improvement could be made with a commanding CB and a goal scoring number 9.
    Did we actually pay a fee for Lavelle ?   Unbelievable!

A novel suggestion for TS ; instead of trying to get players on the cheap, how about we  PAY THE GOING RATE. 
    No, it’ll never catch on.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Posted a few matches ago when Morgan put a shot into the stand immediately before being subbed and running off grinning: he’s so inconsistent because he doesn’t give a shit.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Or footballers are told to forget the misses.

He's been one of very few who put effort in every game.

Fact is he's probably just not good enough.
  • Options
    Didn’t put any effort in to closing that player down on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

That sounds so simple but it's actually spot on. You'll hear quite a few times how we overcomplicate the game but even the majority on here can see this system does not work with the three forwards we have. I promise you though the two Football experts Sandgaard & Sandgaard will be livid if some jumped up coach with loads of badges tells them he's going back to basics. 
  • Options

I agree with this and no need to play two box to box CMs, play 1 CDM, 1 CM and leave the CDM deep lying to protect the back four. With so many teams playing the three in the middle, our possession stats may suffer, but keep the ball down the wings as much as possible and we will benefit from the attacking threat the two forwards and other wide player offer. We cannot persevere with this formation (just to prove a point perhaps) for much longer. The other option is go three at the back, Clare right or left hand side, but that would force Jes up top if the clause in his loan (must start every game) is to be believed. I don’t think he could be relied upon for the defensive side, Egbo could, as could Sess on the other side…
  • Options
    my last throw of the dice: 

Woollacott

sess
    oconnell
    innis
    egbo

Payne
    Dobson
    Fraser
    CBT

Leaburn
    JRS

Any takers ??? its all i've got left

• Options
          Clare  Inniss  O'Connell 
    Egbo  Dobson  JFC Sessegnon 
           JRS Stockley Leaburn
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Woollacott

sess
    oconnell
    innis
    egbo

Payne
    Dobson
    Fraser
    CBT

Leaburn
    JRS

You're not allowed to play 4-4-2 these days.

But you can bet if Curbs was still manager, he would. :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    DOUCHER said:

Woollacott

sess
    oconnell
    innis
    egbo

Payne
    Dobson
    Fraser
    CBT

Leaburn
    JRS

He said he would have played 433 last season.  He didn't play 442 when he was our manager for the last 4 or 5 years.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    DOUCHER said:

Woollacott

sess
    oconnell
    innis
    egbo

Payne
    Dobson
    Fraser
    CBT

Leaburn
    JRS

He said he would have played 433 last season.  He didn't play 442 when he was our manager for the last 4 or 5 years.
    I was hardly being serious, was I ?  :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even Curbs’ 4-4-2 oftentimes played like a 4-3-3. 

One winger sitting centrally to win territory battles in the middle, the other winger getting to the byline and joining forces with the front two.

Very similar to what Powell did with Jackson and Wagstaff/Green in 2011/12.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Wtf is Garnerball?
    tapping/passing the ball about to and fro, up and down, not making any real progress whilst looking for openings which usually are not exploited because our players' passing is not accurate enough .. playing out from the back instead of lumping it up field .. 
    with this mostly 4th division squad Garnerball is preferring to give the ball away in our final third over conceding a throw in on half way or possession to the opponent’s goalie or defenders 
    piss about with it aimlessly at the back while the opponent either a) gets all lined up defensively organised or b) presses en masse in search of an easy turnover 
    a) or b) demands speed of thought and clinical passing - from lower league stock!!!

These are 3rd/4th division players and kids and Garner expects ManCity and Liverpool levels of composure awareness and passing   Jackson proved there’s a middle ground at this standard 
    It got turgid under JJ when he had no strikers at all for 3 months and momentum evaporated 
    After that: uncertainty over his future and that of a number of decent players at the end of their contracts, kept the brakes on
    Jackson’s method worked better than Adkins’s or Garner’s i.e. Skintgaard’s
    Brainless persistence is going to cost TS a Garner payoff plus uncertainty Or subsiding into the bottom 4 and commensurate collapse of matchday revenue 
    Something has to give and soon
    Tactical pragmatism is the short term no cost option at least financially 

Oxford Utd on Saturday provides the perfect setting 

Breath.Not.Held
    hey soon be Christmas 🎅🏻 🥳
  • Options

One winger sitting centrally to win territory battles in the middle, the other winger getting to the byline and joining forces with the front two.

I like the Powell 442

After all, 442 doesn't mean you have to play 2 flying wingers in the wide positions, you can play a 3rd midfielder as one of the wide men.
  • Options
    Whatever you think of Garnerball, tippytappy, call it what you like, we are creating more chances than I can remember us creating in quite some time. 
    For what it’s worth, our open play Xg is the best in the division (I think), but our finishing is so poor, and our defending so variable, that it’s not translating into goals and wins, so people are calling for a change of formation. 
    There’s a danger of that backfiring if it results in fewer chances being created, which it might.
    For example, how does Rak Sakyi fit into a 442? Or CBT? Neither seem obvious choices to play alongside Stockley/Leaburn, in the Washington role. 
  • Options

I like the Powell 442

After all, 442 doesn't mean you have to play 2 flying wingers in the wide positions, you can play a 3rd midfielder as one of the wide men.
    Not forgetting Lee Bowyer won us promotion with his favoured 4-4-2 diamond formation.
    Reminds us that 4-4-2 (or any formation) doesn't have to be rigid - plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Questioned about the winless run, Garner said recently that he wasn't going to just tear up his system and try something new.

I'm sure Garner knows that if the results don't come, he'll have to adapt his gameplan to his available players.
    Did I read somewhere that he did exactly that part way through the season at Swindon last year?

If so, it seems that he often got the results he needed.

• Options
    Will missers stop missing in a different formation? Just posing the question.
  • Options
    Not seen mentioned the impact of having Mac back in goal. He was letting in shots from distance for fun last season and yet again was a spectator as 3 goals whizzed passed him on Saturday. Those were the only 3 shots on target - did he actually make a save?

No coincidence that the defence would feel nervous with him behind them and may have also been a factor in the comedic defending.
  • Options
    Mac wasn't to blame for any of the goals and I'm not a fan. 
  • Options
    Not seen mentioned the impact of having Mac back in goal. He was letting in shots from distance for fun last season and yet again was a spectator as 3 goals whizzed passed him on Saturday. Those were the only 3 shots on target - did he actually make a save?

No coincidence that the defence would feel nervous with him behind them and may have also been a factor in the comedic defending.
    What goals do you think he should have saved out of interest?
  • Options
    we concede way too many goals by really bad defending on the turnover, dropping too deep and not picking up the runs.  We miss too many opportunities to score.  Neither problem is due to the formation, it’s the quality of the players picked.  If you keep playing and the same thing happens it’s a flat learning curve.  Only Stockley doesn’t really fit the system, through no fault of his own, although if he was 47 feet tall he would have a better chance of connecting with a cross from Morgan 😀