Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 24th September 2022 - 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Time for protest?
    Better now than never, the attendances are going to dwindle sooner than later.
  • Options
    I think this is the season we go down 
  • Options
    Flimsy squad, flimsy players , flimsy owner . I want to believe in Garner but it’s not working - he’s going to have to adapt and make us more effective in both boxes .  This is , of course, what Jackson knew he had to do last season, even if it made pretty grim viewing .  I’m all for a passing ideology but he doesn’t have the players . 
  • Options

Charlton players are always decent until they cross the white line.
    Pretty much what Garner said in the post match interview. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it has all been summed up here. Don't think we will go down but we will languish around the lower half. That is where we are now as a club. Other teams do enjoy playing us I think as they are aware how fragile we are and incapable of scoring goals. It allows them to play with freedom and take chances. I grew up very used to 3rd tier football but at least we always seemed to challenge and get promoted from 3rd division back then. We also had identity and a team that appeared to care.  Happy days continue for us addicks 
  • Options
    Train strike making it difficult to get to the Valley next Saturday. After yesterday’s show, I don’t know if I can even be arsed to make the effort. A cloud of despondency hanging over the entire club
  • Options
    We’ve lost some matches, let’s get rid of the owner 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. I’ve never liked him, but people need to understand what business ownership means, especially to a narcissistic American who thinks he can walk on water. He goes down, we all go down.
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    It’s a weird one. We have the makings of a decent team and with 2/3 additions could completely change our outlook this season. But it’s on Sandgaard and co for failure to sort that out. 

Sessegnon, egbo, Fraser, Payne, Kirk, Dobson, mcgrandles (I firmly believe he will come good), rak sakyi are all very good for this league. The system of football we are trying to play is one where any weakness seriously affects the effectiveness and that is what is happening. A proper quality centre back and striker are absolute essentials and failure to land them has ruined us. 

The issues we now have is no leader in defence and no end product which leads to draws and defeats, which in turn leads to a loss of confidence, frustrated fans and ever decreasing crowds. Players are frightened to express themselves, take on the man, shoot from distance. In Fraser and Payne we should be scoring thunderbastards for fun but without that confidence it won’t happen. To quote the great Ian Dowie we don’t have that ‘bouncebackability’.

Imagine this team with a Lyle Taylor type striker and a real top quality young centre back (there must be plenty available on loan from prem clubs). I think we’d be right up there. Unfortunately that’s the reality and we are now stuck at least until January but unfortunately likely longer. Top targets won’t want to join a mid table club, they want promotion chasers. Which ultimately means this season is a write off, Sandgaard loses more money and the fan base are alienated even more. 

What I will say though is any talk of protest is bloody absurd. Mistakes have and continue to be made but this isn’t malicious and Sandgaard isn’t destroying the club. Yes he has an ego but we have to accept that and channel any feedback through the correct mediums. Over time I think he will learn, just how much time I don’t know. 
    He doesn't have time. His decisions are now being seen, on the field of play, for what they are, crass ! TS and his son have absolutely no experience of English football or any football but are dictating team tactics to a Manager with all the relevant coaching qualifications. If TS was Manager of the Foo fighters he would be telling David Grohl how to play drums and write songs and getting it horribly wrong. TS is essentially schooled in Americanism of being a nobody to being a success story, the problem here is that it doesn't match reality. 

• Options
    Time for protest?
    You start it , we'll watch.

Protests! Ridiculous nonsense 
    Hold my hand up. Post-match anger comment.

I do, however, see only one direction for the club at the moment. Not spending just to see that you're nearer to breaking even, at least on paper, is a half-arsed idea. It was known by everyone that we were light up top. If we've a defence they can walk through (3rd goal) and members of a midfield that go missing under pressure and no real strikeforce (don't give a toss what Stockley did last year) then there's little optimism to be had.

Maybe we'll break even in League 2...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I know, I know, but Albie getting pelters for today:

Two separate sites - both put Albie in our top 3... 

I'll take this performance with a pinch of salt, because I missed it, but It certainly sounds like we're in another one of those "whipping boy" moments.

Not sure where they got that from. Morgan was atrocious today. 
    He wasn't atrocious today

Of course he wasn't good, but that applies to most of the team. Fraser had a few nice moments, but then disappeared for long moments of the game. Payne looked good when he came on, but then he had a free role to go and attack, whereas Morgan was having to do the Dobson role as well as trying to bring the ball forward. 

Indeed on commentary Shirtliff mentioned during the game that Morgan had been playing quite well.

Honestly think Shirtliff was struggling for things to say for 90% of the time yesterday.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I'll take this performance with a pinch of salt, because I missed it, but It certainly sounds like we're in another one of those "whipping boy" moments.

Honestly mate, Morgan was not in our "top 3".
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    It makes me laugh when owners come in with 'new' ideas.  

Do they honestly believe that all these things haven't been tried and tested over the past 120 years by knowledgeable people who have devoted their lives to football?  Each league is different, each budget is different and what is needed is a pragmatic approach.  Trying to play Premiership football in league one with league two players clearly doesn't work.  Sandgaard simply hasn't got the budget for what he wants and would do well to concede to that fact.  
    I would have said this a few months ago but Garner has suprised me in a positive way. I think he could have made it work but he needed a bit more support. What I still believe, and to be honest it is probably pretty obvious, is that if you are making a fundamental change to the way you play, it is going to cost more than making an improvement to what you have.

I think the big test for Garner now is how he makes some changes as the total football solution is not going to cut it with the players we have. What I think he needs to do is categorise our players as scorers, missers and potential scorers (those that get opportunities but lack composure). Then he has to work out which of the missers we can afford to play. For example I would say Dobson yes, Morgan no.

The potential scorers need a new training regime where at east 50% of it focuses on their shortcomings.  For instance, it is crazy that a player like CBT makes wrong decsions that look like they are on purpsose (I know they are not).

Then when he has sorted all that out  he needs to see what he is left with and set up based on that. Had he got a goal scorer, this would not be necessary, but as he didn't we have to wrangle out as many goals as we can. We saw yesterday that if we had an ounce of composure we would have been a couple up in the first half. But we know from experience that we don't and the way the game went was no suprise to us fans.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

No I doubt he was but I also doubt he was our worst player. I know he's underperforming at the minute, personally if I were Garner I'd put JFC in.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

No I doubt he was but I also doubt he was our worst player. I know he's underperforming at the minute, personally if I were Garner I'd put JFC in.
    I'd say he was jointly our worst payer, along with 4 or 5 others.

I know it's subjective but I honestly feel that he's had enough time to prove himself now
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I'd say he was jointly our worst payer, along with 4 or 5 others.

I know it's subjective but I honestly feel that he's had enough time to prove himself now
    100% this . One of Payne , Mcgrandles , Henry need to start . Henry will make mistakes but has a real goal threat. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Same old story.  Played all right in batches but this team has 2 key fundamentals wrong with it which means the only possibility of us going anywhere is down rather than up

The central defenders are simply not good enough.  Powell's team had Morrison, Bowyer had Bauer.  Here we have Morecambe and Rochdale's centre half's.  

Last season whatever their merits we ended the season with 6 pro forwards  Stocley, Washington, Aneke, Leko, Burstow and Davison.  4 of them went, Aneke out, not one forward brought into replace them.  To achieve anything in the EFL you need to spend money on strikers, out of contract players may work in other areas, forwards ae ultimately what turn results. 
    And as Posh has found are worth a fortune when you sell them on,if you get the right one and have improved them. Can’t believe TS hasn’t seen this.