Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 24th September 2022 - 3pm

Comments

• Options
    This team is crying out for a striker that fits the system.

It's so bloody frustrating 
    This
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    We did play some good football, as we have in a few games already this season. But we don't have the killer instinct.
    The thing for me was BG post match comments. He said in training he sees a different end product to what we do in matches.

For me, this comes down to the mental strength of the players. Good players can reproduce want they do in training on game day. This tells we are psychologically weak. And that's what you get with L1 and L2 signings. 

They have not consistently played at a higher level due to this. Football is a confidence game, and we are lacking.

Is this BG's fault? The manager installs belief. But the players have to already have that mental strength, and we don't at the moment.

I don't think Changing the manager will fix it. We just don't have the players. I really hope that Ben can turn that around, I see him as a philosophical manager, but as the season is progressing, and we aren't winning, it gets harder and harder. 

We need to be more tough. 
    I've been saying we need to be tougher for longer than I can remember and it never changes.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I think there is the making of a good team. We are a good striker and a good centre half short. Of course we could have a better squad but the glaring issues are these big ones. The point is, if you have those, things that are issues become lesser ones. If I was a manager I would set a target of around 80 goals. If you perm all the players we have, we get nowhere near that. When opponents work out you couldn't score against a team of dustbins they take more risks because they are not big risks and this puts more pressure on defenders, especially when they know that if the concede one, they have either lost or drawn the match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't know why but I still believe in Garner. Comes across as a breath of fresh air. He'll be a Championship manager in 5 years, with or without us 
  • Options
    WSA said:
    Croydon said:
    Having Egbo and Sessegnon back will improve us but that's not going to help us score. I don't think we'll end up near the relegation zone come the end of the season, but we won't be near the top 6 either. Grim
    Optimistically, if in addition to the above, we ever have Chucks/Innis in the team we might have more success?

Thank God we have twinkle toes Rak-Sakyi in the team to give us some WOW moments.

What I find so annoying is CBT being so selfish attempting a worldy EVERY time.  He doesn't even see unmarked players in the penalty box e.g. 0.39 mins in the Highlight video.   This happens over and over and over again.  There is no 'I' in team.  Surely coaching should sort this out?
    It’s why CBT is playing for Charlton in mid table league three and not higher up where his undoubted talent could take him. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I have defended him but a criticism is he played Morgan over Payne or JFC. Two of the three midfielders can't score for toffee. Not a great idea when your forwards can't do it.
  • Options
    Their player slips in first half and CBT decides to shoot rather than square it. O’Connell gets left on his arse by Cole who then squares and they score. That in a nut shell is where we go wrong 
  • Options
    I don't understand why anybody thinks Thomas will invest next season or the season after. 
    I dont think he will.
    If he dont though is he not just better off handling the keys over for a pound?
    Rather than losing 8 mill a year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Barnsley’s Kane is exactly what we need. He’s their playmaker and dominates the midfield he’s also strong in the tackle. Neither Fraser, Morgan or Dobson could live with him. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Frustrating is not the word.
    When we go away games we tend to drink with the locals.
    Before the game yesterday a few of them thought me and me mate were mad.
    We got asked how do we think we will do this season? My reply was fuck all no chance of us making top 6.
    Next what's the result going to be today?
    My reply 3 -0 Barnsley.
    If you've got a spare 2000 pounds stick it on Barnsley.
    They thought I was having them on.
    Was then asked what you come up here for then?
    Well it's not for the football.

A few of these teams weve played away you could tell after not long they were the better team , but I dont think we are that bad.
    Barnsley, Bolton Sheffield Wednesday are going to be up and around the play offs this season.

I dont want a lot , just to be around the play offs.
    I'm not even sure if we had spent 1  million quid we would of made the play offs but we wouldn't of been far off.
    For me we might aswell move onto the 23/24 season and if we are not going to invest next season under Thomas the 24/25 season.

I know its not my money but a 1 million pounds would of made a huge difference to this season.
    Is it a lot of money when the running of the club is costing £8 million a year?

Anyway roll on the 24/25 season.
    Don't even need a million pounds.

Colbey Bishop cost £500k
    MacKirdy is playing in Scotland
    Jephcott is on loan at Swindon
  • Options
    I don't understand why anybody thinks Thomas will invest next season or the season after. 
    He won't.
  • Options
    I do think we a one decent ball playing central defender , the right type of striker to play on the middle of a front three and a natural left footed defender away from having decent side, the problem being Sandgaard was that arrogant/tight he decided we were all right with them and now it’s costing us
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Post match Angst:

We are an established mid league 1 table team who will need 5 years to even get back to the Championship. That's sounds really pessimistic this morning but what a difference six games makes since we sunk Plymouth and HMS Piss the League set sail; my contribution was I hope we had enough Lifeboats even after the 5-1 win !

10 matches into this season and it's clear to sea we have hit the rocks. Captain Sandgaard is making sure the rock band plays on despite our black box radar being faulty.

The Pirate Southall is enjoying the distress and the sharks are circling. We press ganged some crew from the seaport of Swindon and other back waters where some are out of their depth and others are round a about the 1st team.

We are all at sea and awash with gloom as the ebb and flow will keep us in the deep end ; if chief engineer Garner can't get the engines and Sailors to work, Captain Sandgaard can wave goodbye as he encounters Poseidon; who can blow Cafc out of the water.

Salty Sam's Sunday Soapbox.
  • Options
    Because he's already invested and he could see that if he lumps in another few quid, he might actually get himself out of this.

I'm not saying he will, but I don't personally believe it's beyond all realms to consider that he might
  • Options
    Ben Garner “they (Barnsley) were boooed off at ht” 

more evidence for my boooing works theory 

And they beat us 3-1.
  • Options
    He had the chance to do that. It isn't going to get easier losing £8m a year.