Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 24th September 2022 - 3pm

Comments

• Options
    It's all Curbs fault. He made our dreams come true and built a stadium too big for us to survive on a shoestring, break even budget in Div 3.
    much truth written in jest .. Curbs (and his teams) gave us unrealistic hopes for the long-term future  :'(
  • Options
    Saw a video of the players being booed off. Wondering from those who were there today just how toxic the atmosphere in the away end got? It was pretty bad against FGR where I was sat.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    We are not. We didn't pay a fee for a player, brought in League 2 players, got rid of the big earners and lowered the size of the squad. We are not viable in League one so Sandgaard is probably including the money we lose in that which is incredibly misleading. And why we need to get out of this league. If we lose even more we could become the 3rd highest spenders!
  • Options
    We have been saying it for ages. 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Yes we don't have the players for a possession based 433 but I can't see any formation working with this squad.  We have one completely useless centre forward who will be just as useless in a front 2 as in the second half as he can no longer win the ball in the air nor can he shoot at goal.  Only other forwards are a teenager who whilst showing promise needs careful management and a crock who can't play for more than 20 minutes when fully fit which he hasn't been all season.

Oh and we can't defend either!
    He scored 21 goals last season!!!!!
    And your point is what? That we’ll get points for what he did last season? What has he done this season, tell me that?

His point is Jayden scored goals when in a two up front. Other than the Plymouth home games Stockley does seem to struggle in this 3 up front when CBT and Rak Sakyi aren't finishers and the midfielders are rarely near enough to the number 9 to support.

We are a mid table League 1 side who are weak at finishing despite some decent passing short and long in 1st half that I knew would be forgotten if we lost. Terrible 2nd half against an average League 1 side.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    give Garner 2 more games, if he persists with 4 3 3, a system designed for multi million pound players who have bags of pace and skill, if we don't get 6 points from the next two games. then, i m o he should be sacked ..
    it seems to me his heart is no longer in the job, possibly a sulk in not getting some (much needed) fresh blood in the 'window' or even a decent freelancer, perhaps he realises he is not up to the job, whatever .. wholesale substitutions once more indicate to me that he has no idea who he wants to start and/or how to change a game. AND I was full of hope pre-season that we had brought in a shrewd and clever young manager.

However Sandy is really the one to blame for the current situation, a lack of investment, appointing a relation to an important semi managerial role, a role he is not qualified for ..  Sandy can surely see that 4 3 3 hasn't worked, has he told Garner to change, has he even queried Garner's (i m o) dreadful team selections and tactics ?

The team looks disinterested and rudderless. I don't advocate dirty play, but today away from home against decent opposition we had no yellow cards, a lack of intent, of determination ? .. we are in danger as many others fear, of relegation .. we wouldn't be the first 'big club' to end up in the fourth, even fifth tier .. I hope I am proved wrong and my club can at least get organised and give it a right go .. as ever .. we will see !!

Next game is crucial - if we play as pathetic again, it will all kick off
    next 2 up v Oxford then Lincoln .. on paper two games we 'should' win .. as we all know, (all together now) .. 
     games are won on the pitch not on paper or indeed the white/black board
    Remember our last home game against Forest Green? Did you see what happened to them today?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    kafka said:
    BigDiddy said:
    give Garner 2 more games, if he persists with 4 3 3, a system designed for multi million pound players who have bags of pace and skill, if we don't get 6 points from the next two games. then, i m o he should be sacked ..
    it seems to me his heart is no longer in the job, possibly a sulk in not getting some (much needed) fresh blood in the 'window' or even a decent freelancer, perhaps he realises he is not up to the job, whatever .. wholesale substitutions once more indicate to me that he has no idea who he wants to start and/or how to change a game. AND I was full of hope pre-season that we had brought in a shrewd and clever young manager.

However Sandy is really the one to blame for the current situation, a lack of investment, appointing a relation to an important semi managerial role, a role he is not qualified for ..  Sandy can surely see that 4 3 3 hasn't worked, has he told Garner to change, has he even queried Garner's (i m o) dreadful team selections and tactics ?

The team looks disinterested and rudderless. I don't advocate dirty play, but today away from home against decent opposition we had no yellow cards, a lack of intent, of determination ? .. we are in danger as many others fear, of relegation .. we wouldn't be the first 'big club' to end up in the fourth, even fifth tier .. I hope I am proved wrong and my club can at least get organised and give it a right go .. as ever .. we will see !!

Next game is crucial - if we play as pathetic again, it will all kick off
    next 2 up v Oxford then Lincoln .. on paper two games we 'should' win .. as we all know, (all together now) .. 
     games are won on the pitch not on paper or indeed the white/black board
    Remember our last home game against Forest Green? Did you see what happened to them today?
    worrying is it not ? .. perhaps we should have appointed Taylor who actually got his team promoted and not Garner whose team failed at the last hurdle
  • Options
    Really getting pissed off with football,England team is crap,Charlton look a lost cause.How can the ball be skied over the bar so many times,all that play and their goalie could have stayed in the dug out.To all the people on here urging TS to sell,sell what,he owns nothing of any value only the bills that keep coming in.Can we not get Jason Pearce out of retirement,he would not have put up with that crap today without leaving it all on the pitch.Although a long standing season ticket holder,I just do not want to spend my time driving to and witnessing the demise of this club.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    First half we played some decent football with shocking finishing where a poor Barnsley supporter up in row Z had to be taken to hospital after being hit with the ball 4 times. As the chubby guy was being carried away on a stretcher he asked if he could watch from inside the goal Charlton were attacking as it was the safest place.

20 points from JJ's first 10 games feels like the glory days now. 

11 points from Ben Garner's first 10 games and the harsh reality of trying to get blood from a stone is there for all to see. If you are poor in both penalty areas you will lose football matches. 

The first goal conceded was similar to Clare's goal against Plymouth but the other two goals were rank poor defending.

Long season ahead where we are in danger of imploding and Ben Garner looks vulnerable with the natives restless.

What ??

We were terrible throughout.

Wasted chances, no midfield, dodgy defence.

Albie strolling out like he thinks he is Xavi, Stockley looks like Woody out of Toy Story [and plays like him] and the defence was always once step from a cock-up.

Did you watch the first half ?  
    Our finishing was terrible but there was good passes to set up the chances. We hear you loud and clear big Diddy and we all know we are in a bad place. 

Most of what I thought has come to fruition but I'm still gutted as I wanted to be wrong.
    10 games is a marker and we are struggling in a results business.
    Yes I did - we were gifted chances from a half interested Barnsley and we blew every one.

I hate whining, I really do, but TS is a disaster.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Brownie is right, we have to sort out the defence as a priority, and by that I mean our team defending as well as individual roles. Barnsley were set up to keep it tight, they didn't have to create much as they could rely on our errors.

Start getting clean sheets, then we don't have to score 2 or 3 to get a win. I don't think our back 4 is ideal, but they should be doing better, and the midfield too often end up in nowhere positions.

Can Garner do this though? I'm not sure "keeping it tight and nicking a win" is in his DNA.
    We've brought in the wrong manager if you to keep it tight. Garner's style of play is free flowing football & hope to win 3-1. 

Anyway, lower league teams don't go up winning 1-0 every week. They go up by winning 4-1 & 3-2. Attack stronger than defence. Always has been. 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    HandG said:
    Yes we don't have the players for a possession based 433 but I can't see any formation working with this squad.  We have one completely useless centre forward who will be just as useless in a front 2 as in the second half as he can no longer win the ball in the air nor can he shoot at goal.  Only other forwards are a teenager who whilst showing promise needs careful management and a crock who can't play for more than 20 minutes when fully fit which he hasn't been all season.

And your point is what? That we’ll get points for what he did last season? What has he done this season, tell me that?
    He’s done nothing this season because he’s playing up front his own. 

My point was that we have a 20+ goal striker playing up front in a system that doesn’t suit him.

Yea we all know that and I’m sure the team know too, it’s clearly not going to change (including the setup in that) so stop playing him and try someone else, so don’t see how what he did last season is relevant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Garner is incapable of turning this around
    Pep would be incapable of turning these players around, most of them are league two standard and that is the direction we are heading.

Not BG’s fault, look at the owner 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    HandG said:

He’s done nothing this season because he’s playing up front his own. 

My point was that we have a 20+ goal striker playing up front in a system that doesn’t suit him.

Yea we all know that and I’m sure the team know too, it’s clearly not going to change (including the setup in that) so stop playing him and try someone else, so don’t see how what he did last season is relevant.
    I think the problem of Stockley not scoring would not be in focus if his striking partners were actually goal scorers, which in despite of a lot of good work up to the box, they clearly are not. The argument for two up top is not valid at the moment because Chuks is not fit and Leaburn is not ready. Somehow Garner has to come up with a system or find players, who can finish, either of which is highly unlikely for various reasons. Remember what Sandgaard said, this system will provide us with a better style of play from which we can exit this division, way its going he's probably right but not in the direction he intended.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    LouisMend said:
    IdleHans said:
    Ben Garnioler probably aware that most of us know it's not his fault
    They probably cut out the bit where Garner said the Chairman talks bollocks.
  • Options
    Another Shit Day at the Office 
    If we had a proper striker we could have been 3-1 up at Half time, but then our inept defence would have given away 2 Goals so 3-3 🤣🤣

we have an Owner who is full of shit and will not invest properly, and a Manager running out of ideas.

hopefully we will not get Relegated to league 2.

horrible F—King times 👎👎
  • Options
    And I thought the Stewards were way over the top today. Totally blew up nothing events. 
  • Options
    Won’t go down only because the bottom three are hopeless.