Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 24th September 2022 - 3pm

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    BigDiddy said:
    Southbank said:
    If I were Sandgaard now I would be pretty desperate.
    1. His main business is struggling.
    2  His personal wealth is disappearing.
    3. He owns Charlton  a loss making business which has virtually no saleable assets and is therefore virtually worthless.
    4  To cut losses even more  at Charlton means further destroying the business model (promotion).

He is stuck. The only option open to him other than simply  carrying on as he is would be to sack the manager and hope against hope there is somebody out there who can turn the sow's ear into  a football team.

As I said, bloody desperate. No way out.

How do you know about points 1 & 2?
    By looking at its depressed share price and overall performance. His personal wealth was largely in the shares.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    This is where I normally try to come up with the positives. But I’m really struggling.

Players that were ok-ish? Fraser, Egbo, Payne, Sessegnon. 
    CBT & Dobson maybe. 
    But the defending was shocking, and the shooting was worse than that. We won’t win many games unless both of those improve massively. 
    Biggest disappointment was O’Connell who had a shocker. And Morgan was very poor. Had some hope that this season might be interesting at least, but already it’s slipping away. 
    It was shocking today - no upsides losing like that to a team who barely tried 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Southbank said:
    3. He owns Charlton  a loss making business which has virtually no saleable assets and is therefore virtually worthless.
    4  To cut losses even more  at Charlton means further destroying the business model (promotion).

He is stuck. The only option open to him other than simply  carrying on as he is would be to sack the manager and hope against hope there is somebody out there who can turn the sow's ear into  a football team.

By looking at its depressed share price and overall performance. His personal wealth was largely in the shares.
    Southbank said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Southbank said:

Oops - I thought he was minted !
  • Options
    The best defence won.
  • Options
    give Garner 2 more games, if he persists with 4 3 3, a system designed for multi million pound players who have bags of pace and skill, if we don't get 6 points from the next two games. then, i m o he should be sacked ..
    it seems to me his heart is no longer in the job, possibly a sulk in not getting some (much needed) fresh blood in the 'window' or even a decent freelancer, perhaps he realises he is not up to the job, whatever .. wholesale substitutions once more indicate to me that he has no idea who he wants to start and/or how to change a game. AND I was full of hope pre-season that we had brought in a shrewd and clever young manager.

However Sandy is really the one to blame for the current situation, a lack of investment, appointing a relation to an important semi managerial role, a role he is not qualified for ..  Sandy can surely see that 4 3 3 hasn't worked, has he told Garner to change, has he even queried Garner's (i m o) dreadful team selections and tactics ?

The team looks disinterested and rudderless. I don't advocate dirty play, but today away from home against decent opposition we had no yellow cards, a lack of intent, of determination ? .. we are in danger as many others fear, of relegation .. we wouldn't be the first 'big club' to end up in the fourth, even fifth tier .. I hope I am proved wrong and my club can at least get organised and give it a right go .. as ever .. we will see !!

• Options
    A league two club in all but name. Well, every aspect apart from the fans that is.
  • Options
    We've a mid to lower league 1 squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brownie is right, we have to sort out the defence as a priority, and by that I mean our team defending as well as individual roles. Barnsley were set up to keep it tight, they didn't have to create much as they could rely on our errors.

Start getting clean sheets, then we don't have to score 2 or 3 to get a win. I don't think our back 4 is ideal, but they should be doing better, and the midfield too often end up in nowhere positions.

Can Garner do this though? I'm not sure "keeping it tight and nicking a win" is in his DNA.
    1 clean sheet in 10, and let's be honest that was a miracle, that's one stat that does tell a story.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Southbank said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Southbank said:

This has been done to death before. Any analysis depends on the period you're looking at.

The share price is slightly down over the past month, up over the past 6 months, down over the past year and massively up over the past 5 years.  
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Not convinced at all by Garner but it's far from his fault. I'm over this season already and will probably find an excuse most Saturdays now
  • Options
    First half we played some decent football with shocking finishing where a poor Barnsley supporter up in row Z had to be taken to hospital after being hit with the ball 4 times. As the chubby guy was being carried away on a stretcher he asked if he could watch from inside the goal Charlton were attacking as it was the safest place.

20 points from JJ's first 10 games feels like the glory days now. 

11 points from Ben Garner's first 10 games and the harsh reality of trying to get blood from a stone is there for all to see. If you are poor in both penalty areas you will lose football matches. 

The first goal conceded was similar to Clare's goal against Plymouth but the other two goals were rank poor defending.

Long season ahead where we are in danger of imploding and Ben Garner looks vulnerable with the natives restless.

• Options
    Garner is incapable of turning this around
  • Options
    We haven’t got the right players to play open football, particularly away. Other clubs have worked Garner ball out, it’s not hard.

Either change the way we play or change the manager.

We really are bloody awful at the back and Stockley is well past his sell by date.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    6 games without a win and slowly getting worse. Relegation starting to look possible.
  • Options
    Derek Ufton once told me that you can tell how a season is going to turn out after 10 games.

10 games into this season and we're going nowhere (nowhere positive anyway).

Can't score enough goals to win a game, can't keep clean sheets, don't have a strong enough squad.

There is only so long we can wait for the new "identity" to click if we're not winning games.

Breaking even is as unrealistic as getting promoted.

Garner is voicing his frustration with the transfer situation more publicly now. 

I wonder how patient Sandgaard will remain as he sees his debts rise and the team unable to win.

Depressing times.
    TS is clueless - a "Get TS out" campaign is needed…and soon
  • Options
    No money to sack Garner, no money to sign decent players, no hope!
    As the late great Jimmy Seed said many years ago ''The Red is shining''.
    Should have scored at least 2 in the first half. Speedy winger in CBT but
    can't shoot and doesn't know the offside role. Morgan piss poor today.
    Defence crap. Palace lad flatters to deceive, did Miles touch the ball much?
    Still Aneke may be fit for 15 minutes after Christmas. Swindon rejects not the answer!
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Fuck me, this is getting repetitive and it’s still only September. 
    This is going to feel like the longest season ever. 
    Yep…we need to get TS out.

A new owner is needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    give Garner 2 more games, if he persists with 4 3 3, a system designed for multi million pound players who have bags of pace and skill, if we don't get 6 points from the next two games. then, i m o he should be sacked ..
    it seems to me his heart is no longer in the job, possibly a sulk in not getting some (much needed) fresh blood in the 'window' or even a decent freelancer, perhaps he realises he is not up to the job, whatever .. wholesale substitutions once more indicate to me that he has no idea who he wants to start and/or how to change a game. AND I was full of hope pre-season that we had brought in a shrewd and clever young manager.

However Sandy is really the one to blame for the current situation, a lack of investment, appointing a relation to an important semi managerial role, a role he is not qualified for ..  Sandy can surely see that 4 3 3 hasn't worked, has he told Garner to change, has he even queried Garner's (i m o) dreadful team selections and tactics ?

The team looks disinterested and rudderless. I don't advocate dirty play, but today away from home against decent opposition we had no yellow cards, a lack of intent, of determination ? .. we are in danger as many others fear, of relegation .. we wouldn't be the first 'big club' to end up in the fourth, even fifth tier .. I hope I am proved wrong and my club can at least get organised and give it a right go .. as ever .. we will see !!

Next game is crucial - if we play as pathetic again, it will all kick off
  • Options
    The 2nd half was an embarrassment. Schoolboy defending for both 2nd half goals.

Poor recruitment has cost us any chance of a successful season, and sadly, I think this is who we are now. Improvement needed in both boxes to ensure we don't get dragged into a relegation scrap.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    First half we played some decent football with shocking finishing where a poor Barnsley supporter up in row Z had to be taken to hospital after being hit with the ball 4 times. As the chubby guy was being carried away on a stretcher he asked if he could watch from inside the goal Charlton were attacking as it was the safest place.

20 points from JJ's first 10 games feels like the glory days now. 

11 points from Ben Garner's first 10 games and the harsh reality of trying to get blood from a stone is there for all to see. If you are poor in both penalty areas you will lose football matches. 

The first goal conceded was similar to Clare's goal against Plymouth but the other two goals were rank poor defending.

Long season ahead where we are in danger of imploding and Ben Garner looks vulnerable with the natives restless.
    What ??

We were terrible throughout.

Wasted chances, no midfield, dodgy defence.

Albie strolling out like he thinks he is Xavi, Stockley looks like Woody out of Toy Story [and plays like him] and the defence was always once step from a cock-up.
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    I absolutely hate our football. Defenders farting around, trying to play out of defence, making safe passes backwards and forwards until the opposition harry them so we end up playing hospital balls and putting pressure on ourselves. Midfielders constantly playing back - even when we get a throw-in it goes backwards. Then a hopeful punt forward to a striker who has two defenders marking him and if he manages to get his head to it there's no one there to pick up the second ball. The whole sorry system is played at tortoise pace. Garner has to take some responsibility for this style of play, even though we all know that Sandgaard has let him down. Bloody hell, it's been hard being a Charlton fan over the last few years and it seems to be getting worse.
    That is why he needs to go.

• Options
    Time for protest?