Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 24th September 2022 - 3pm

Comments

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Any suggestions on what manager/coach [mad enough to come to us] might get more out of our squad?

Bowyer is an obvious starter for 10.
    Yeah, if Garner was to go, what manager would be prepared to risk any reputation. Older manager at the end of his career maybe. Pretty depressing. No ambition for the club under current regime. Not sure where we go from here. Mid table League 1 at best.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    give Garner 2 more games, if he persists with 4 3 3, a system designed for multi million pound players who have bags of pace and skill, if we don't get 6 points from the next two games. then, i m o he should be sacked ..
    it seems to me his heart is no longer in the job, possibly a sulk in not getting some (much needed) fresh blood in the 'window' or even a decent freelancer, perhaps he realises he is not up to the job, whatever .. wholesale substitutions once more indicate to me that he has no idea who he wants to start and/or how to change a game. AND I was full of hope pre-season that we had brought in a shrewd and clever young manager.

However Sandy is really the one to blame for the current situation, a lack of investment, appointing a relation to an important semi managerial role, a role he is not qualified for ..  Sandy can surely see that 4 3 3 hasn't worked, has he told Garner to change, has he even queried Garner's (i m o) dreadful team selections and tactics ?

The team looks disinterested and rudderless. I don't advocate dirty play, but today away from home against decent opposition we had no yellow cards, a lack of intent, of determination ? .. we are in danger as many others fear, of relegation .. we wouldn't be the first 'big club' to end up in the fourth, even fifth tier .. I hope I am proved wrong and my club can at least get organised and give it a right go .. as ever .. we will see !!

Next game is crucial - if we play as pathetic again, it will all kick off
    next 2 up v Oxford then Lincoln .. on paper two games we 'should' win .. as we all know, (all together now) .. 
     games are won on the pitch not on paper or indeed the white/black board
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Sack Garner? Some of you are insane. He needs time. Sacking him would just keep us on the same stupid cycle we've been on for ages
    Only one person saying it but he's typed it about 14 times on this thread already
    With good reason I argue, he will go - to be the scapegoat for TS, if not for his failing tactics.

I have also argued we need to go after TS who is the root cause of all this.

I hope it is all turned around but we have been in gradual decline for years and this is the next phase of that decline.

I hope I am wrong
  • Options
    Ryan Inniss has to play next week, as despite his occasional moments of madness, he's the best defender we have, and that's what we need at the moment.

Indeed a back 4 of Egbo Inniss Pearce Purrington would have been far more effective than what we put out today. Egbo having the freedom to bomb forward, Purrington supporting the left winger, and the 2 CBs doing the defensive basics, and organising things at the back.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Sack Garner? Some of you are insane. He needs time. Sacking him would just keep us on the same stupid cycle we've been on for ages
    Time to do what, with what ??

Almost everything is broken, so what will extra time deliver ?

League 2 awaits us.

• Options
    no words. I am so so tired of supporting this club. 
  • Options
    Yes we don't have the players for a possession based 433 but I can't see any formation working with this squad.  We have one completely useless centre forward who will be just as useless in a front 2 as in the second half as he can no longer win the ball in the air nor can he shoot at goal.  Only other forwards are a teenager who whilst showing promise needs careful management and a crock who can't play for more than 20 minutes when fully fit which he hasn't been all season.

Oh and we can't defend either!
  • Options
    I assume any remaining doubters now accept there is no way we will make the playoffs this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not too convinced TS would respond to protests in any way, tbh. 
  • Options
    It's becoming clear we have some absolutely awful centre backs.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    BigDiddy said:
    First half we played some decent football with shocking finishing where a poor Barnsley supporter up in row Z had to be taken to hospital after being hit with the ball 4 times. As the chubby guy was being carried away on a stretcher he asked if he could watch from inside the goal Charlton were attacking as it was the safest place.

20 points from JJ's first 10 games feels like the glory days now. 

11 points from Ben Garner's first 10 games and the harsh reality of trying to get blood from a stone is there for all to see. If you are poor in both penalty areas you will lose football matches. 

The first goal conceded was similar to Clare's goal against Plymouth but the other two goals were rank poor defending.

Long season ahead where we are in danger of imploding and Ben Garner looks vulnerable with the natives restless.
    What ??

We were terrible throughout.

Wasted chances, no midfield, dodgy defence.

Albie strolling out like he thinks he is Xavi, Stockley looks like Woody out of Toy Story [and plays like him] and the defence was always once step from a cock-up.

Did you watch the first half ?  
    Our finishing was terrible but there was good passes to set up the chances. We hear you loud and clear big Diddy and we all know we are in a bad place. 

Most of what I thought has come to fruition but I'm still gutted as I wanted to be wrong.
    10 games is a marker and we are struggling in a results business.
  • Options

With no happy ending.
    Shooting Blanks! 
  • Options
    Definitely a weakness in our squad - all are slow and not comfortable on the ball (ok O'Connell can bring it out and do the odd cross field ball) and all seem to go to sleep at key moments.  
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Only one person saying it but he's typed it about 14 times on this thread already
    With good reason I argue, he will go - to be the scapegoat for TS, if not for his failing tactics.

I have also argued we need to go after TS who is the root cause of all this.

I hope it is all turned around but we have been in gradual decline for years and this is the next phase of that decline.

I hope I am wrong
    CAFC is a third tier club which needs at least Championship sized investment and funding to keep it going .. London is 'overclubbed', Brentford was fortunate to find a very wealthy owner prepared to properly invest in a smallish club and to have the patience to see his investment come to fruition.
     As you say, our decline has been gradual and we have to compete with other VERY wealthy London clubs for fans, sponsorship, players, and all the necessary resources needed for success .. alas, we have become the London corner shop in competition with a Tesco superstore, excused the unwieldy comparison .. 

However, IF Accrington, Wycombe, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood, Exeter, Rotherham, Hull to name several can compete and survive, then CAFC can do the same, given an owner who knows the game, is a shrewd investor and has the ability to appoint good management who then have the ability to sign good players and a workable playing system .. this COULD happen, BUT it needs to happen soon
  • Options
    Yes we don't have the players for a possession based 433 but I can't see any formation working with this squad.  We have one completely useless centre forward who will be just as useless in a front 2 as in the second half as he can no longer win the ball in the air nor can he shoot at goal.  Only other forwards are a teenager who whilst showing promise needs careful management and a crock who can't play for more than 20 minutes when fully fit which he hasn't been all season.

He scored 21 goals last season!!!!!
  • Options
    We needed two forwards and a CB. I would have settled for one of each. What is frustrating is we are not that far off but we might as well be a million miles away. And not being able to score for toffee puts more pressure on the defence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thoroughly dispiriting afternoon.   Can't ever recall a game where neither keeper actually saved a shot.

You don't stand a chance if you can't shoot, and i think a canny opposition coach can see while our wide men can cause a panic, they don't often hurt us.  Meanwhile our defence is there for the taking....
  • Options
    Yep, the defence would be massively helped by having midfielders and forwards who could press in any way, but the standard of the centre backs is extremely poor and I’d say the full backs are ok at best. Maybe Egbo and Sessegnon when both fully fit will change that 
  • Options
    HandG said:

He scored 21 goals last season!!!!!
    And your point is what? That we’ll get points for what he did last season? What has he done this season, tell me that?
  • Options
    Not suggesting that Sandguaard should overspend to the degree others like Wednesday appear to have done (again), but if we are the 4th biggest spenders I'd love to see our wage bill against theirs.