Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anthony Hayes appointed caretaker manager. Jason Pearce his assistant......

Comments

• Options
    If he didn’t know that was a woeful team selection then he shouldn’t even be in charge of the half time oranges 
  • Options
    we won't get dragged into a relegation battle. The issue is psychological - we consistently play to the standard of our opponents - that has come from the set up and emphasis the coaching team outlays (subliminaly maybe?) seems like everyone in the squad thinks they are better than they actually are, they give it the big un and get found out by lower teams because they consistently underestimate them, make assumptions about their own abilities. "oh we are better than them, we should walk it" "oh, they are decent, we need to work hard this week when we play them"

it's fucking childlike. and i'm sick of it this season.
    I wouldn't be so sure.
    We don't look like we can win a game to save our lives ATM 
  • Options
    Hayes says he’s going to put a team out that will compete with Morecambe. That’s good of him! Clown. 
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    Hayes says he’s going to put a team out that will compete with Morecambe. That’s good of him! Clown. 
    Can't keep getting worse?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    kentred2 said:
    Has anyone ever come in and been given this kind of stick from the off? 

I think it's wholly unfair after a days preperation to expect a change in style and a response from the team, just because Garner has left. 

We've now had 4/5 managers tell us these players (or a number of them) are not good enough. Why do you expect Hayes to perform a miracle?
    I think fans are just disillusioned - ultimately he will be judged on results.

If we lose to Morecambe everyone will be p***ed off. We need to grind out a result.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    kentred2 said:

Karel Fraeye. 3-0 away at Middlesbrough 2015

Les Reed. 2-0 away at Reading 2006

Phil Parkinson. 2-1 away at QPR 2008
  • Options
    We are in a relegation battle, I am not kidding myself that we aren’t.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    kentred2 said:

I think it's wholly unfair after a days preperation to expect a change in style and a response from the team, just because Garner has left. 

We've now had 4/5 managers tell us these players (or a number of them) are not good enough. Why do you expect Hayes to perform a miracle?
    Doesn't matter how long he has been in the job, he should be ridiculed for that team selection
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    kentred2 said:

Fair comment mate but he looked and sounded like a rabbit caught in headlights in his post match interview. He’s been part of the management team for a while so how long do the very restless natives need to give him? He’s now picking the team and tactics so he’s directly in the firing line until the next coach/manager is appointed.

Another spineless defeat at Morecambe on Saturday and unfortunately I can see the heat being turned up another notch and you know what they say, ‘if you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen’. 

All of this cluster fcuk though as the vast majority of the fan base now accepts, stems from the owner and his family.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You may well be right, but I think that when we get some of our better players back from injury (O'Connell, Egbo and Leaburn in particular) we will have enough to be mid-table. However, aspiring for mid-table safety is not where we want to be and it is another very disappointing season. The only thing that will clear the gloom is a new owner. We can but hope. It's on my Christmas list, just hope Santa can deliver.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You may well be right, but I think that when we get some of our better players back from injury (O'Connell, Egbo and Leaburn in particular) we will have enough to be mid-table. However, aspiring for mid-table safety is not where we want to be and it is another very disappointing season. The only thing that will clear the gloom is a new owner. We can but hope. It's on my Christmas list, just hope Santa can deliver.

You're not gonna see Leaburn in a Charlton shirt again!
  • Options
    If Hayes was, as suggested, responsible for our set-pieces, on that basis alone I wouldn't have given him the caretaker manager job. Get your bloody day job right before you move up.
    But I guess it was a case of needs must.
    He's an easy scapegoat now for whatever shite gets served up.
    I despair
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    Clearly doesnt want the job, what the fuck was that teamsheet all about. Pathetic
    Did you really expect anything else once that draw was made we were always going to send reserve /under 21 team .. with a league game only couple of days away and the long travelling to both games .. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I have never seen a manager look so lost for words after just one defeat. He had the look of someone that had lost six on the trot , had tried everything and had completely run out of ideas.
    To be fair he had no time to work with the team just hoped it would click on the night and he won’t have much time to work with them before Saturday because they leave for Morecombe Friday lunchtime and have today off 

Unfair to comment on him after last night and Saturday let’s see what happens when he had a clear week to work with them .
    we did see a slight change to style of play last night .

• Options
    Coaching skills aside it was hard to imagine him delivering the rousing half time speech based on what we saw at the end last night. 
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    seth plum said:

You're not gonna see Leaburn in a Charlton shirt again!
    Why not .. Leaburn not going 

• Options
    I actually thought Hayes had a "free hit" last night given what had gone on previously but that opportunity soon disappeared. I very much doubt that Hayes will get the job in the long term unless TS really wants to get someone on the cheap to do it.

That said, how many of our strongest team started last night? Whether some of those on the bench were being saved for the League or just not match fit I don't know but it could be argued that not one of those that did start would make our strongest side of, for example, Woolacott, Egbo, O'Connell, Inniss, Sessegnon, Dobson, Fraser, CBT, Leaburn, Stockley and Rak-Sakyi. Stockport have won 8 of their last 11 games, drawing with us and away to Tranmere with the sole defeat to the runaway leaders, Orient and they are the form team in League 2. Our reserves were always going to struggle against them and that is why Stockport were favourites with the bookies to win the match.

The XI mentioned isn't the best in League 1 but it is one that we can go to war with. O'Connell, for example, has started 20 games this season and we've only lost three of them - and one of those was 0-0 when Inniss was sent off against MK Dons - the others were away to Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton respectively. Those are also the only games that we have lost when Inniss and O'Connell have played together. 

The issue is that we have no squad. Aneke, for example, is an impact sub when you can start with the above team but when he starts and is the focal point of the attack he looks lost. With Stockley and Leaburn out, there is no one else though. That situation is only one person's fault and it's got very little to do with the Manager.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The team selection wasn't a massive surprise was it recognising we play again Saturday ? We have no available strikers once Aneke is off the pitch.

Aneke just did not look up for the game yesterday - that is a worry if it references the wider 'culture' BG mysteriously referred to.

JFC did little and appears to backup why BG has not really used him to date.

Mitchell was excellent. Chin is getting far more negative comments here than he should.

The only thing I cant fathom is why Kanu played in the youth (?) team game on Tuesday and wasn't used yesterday instead.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I've deliberately kept away from this for a couple of days to see what the general opinions were but also to gather my thoughts on it.

As a keen observer of the U18's and U23/21's for the last couple of seasons it's been noticeable that their style of play differed from the first team. The academy was full of players who are comfortable in possession and who will play it out from the back too whereas the first team were much less aesthetically pleasing until this season. Garner tried to implement his style but many players at his disposal just weren't up to it and that, along with the lack of investment, is why we are where we are right now

I was at the U18's again last night and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Calm in possession and swift and penetrating when in attack. It's not perfect and it will take time to improve on it, but for large large parts of the game last night we played a Cat1 academy side off the park. That's the way I would like all of our teams to try to play.

Oddly enough the defence playing last night was slightly adapted because we were missing Zach Mitchell as he is presumably involved with the first team tonight, This meant Asiimwe was playing in the middle as opposed to the flying wing-back role i've often seen him in. We also had a rookie in Keenan Gough alongside him and he is new to this level and had a tough night.

Anthony Hayes has been here long enough to know the first team players, he knows ALL the up and coming players too and, with Pearce along side him we might get lucky and find a coupe of coaches who dovetail pretty well and get a tune out of this collective team.

As has been said previously we have had success when recruiting from within so fingers crossed this works in our favour too once more. But please go into this period with a sense of realism and common sense - it's a far from ideal scenario so might not work from day one, or at all. It doesn't mean these guys are useless - they are just doing what they can with the tools at their disposal

Finally, a post from someone with rhein feet on the ground.
    The caretaker might not be a great manager immediately, but let's at least try and remember that a caretaker comes from within to take charge while the owner finds a replacement for the guy he bought in, didn't back in summer, and then sacked.
    Who we get in as full time replacement for Garner is a whole new conversation, as is Garner getting the push, but some of the comments about Hayes getting put in temporary charge are unreal.
    I cant help reading for Hayes, Les Reed. Good coach / numberv2, but out of his depth as manager. 

The biggest problem for Reid was he was not respected by the team as manager, I am not sure Hayes (even with Pearces backing) is not in a similar position, plus he has a much worse squad than even Reid had.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    kentred2 said:

Karel Fraeye. 3-0 away at Middlesbrough 2015

Les Reed. 2-0 away at Reading 2006

Phil Parkinson. 2-1 away at QPR 2008
    That's a yes then?
  • Options
    Any more news about the non or late arrival of the Charlton party?
    Surely anticipating and overcoming travel issues is down to Mr Dangerfield?
  • Options
    His pre match interview was one of the most depressing and downbeat, that I've ever heard.
  • Options
    Well that all went well...

Thomas!

Thomas!

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Any more news about the non or late arrival of the Charlton party?
    Surely anticipating and overcoming travel issues is down to Mr Dangerfield?
    Interesting point.

I assumed that this was linked to TS comments about how they now save money on 1st team travel - maybe it means the 'support' team only now travel on the day not the night before with the squad to save on accommodation costs etc.?
  • Options
    A year ago, I was sat behind Jason Euell on the train up to Morecambe, on the day of the (evening) match, so maybe not a new thing?
  • Options
    My favourite moment was when DJ came on, Hayes gave him a note to give to Dobson, wonder what it said…