Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anthony Hayes appointed caretaker manager. Jason Pearce his assistant......

Comments

• Options
    Making it up as he goes along. Flawed recruitment at the heart of most of our current and recently historical pain. It would appear blood and heart is overpowering sight and mind. Nothing changes until the ownership once again churns, as so many have already said. Such a shame as there was a prospectively positive outlook for a very very short while (undermined by misguided recruitment and corporate governance).

Our issue as fans is that apathy has set into the not so die hards, so our regular combined reactive fighting spirit appears diminished, while an ever decreasing minority believe there remains a glimmer of hope. I am clear in my own mind, there is no hope, the track record is now clear for all to see and the rhetoric is the work of pure fantasy. 

We have to avoid us reaching the plug hole and whichever member groups exist out there it is surely time to come together to discuss this situation? Our medium term risk profile as a club is now crimson red from how I see it. I am not calling for pitch forks and all, but some combined thinking and evaluation of objectives to ensure the long term future of OUR club is surely becoming more pressing? What’s more one thing we have always possessed is brain power and nous, no matter what little part I played in the Back to the Valley campaign all those years ago (just out of shorts), I saw first hand how sharp and experienced the minds behind that winning campaign were. Those at least combined with the next generation, now all grown up, but experienced and skilled can surely help conjure a plan, whatever that may be?

We now have Zoom, Teams, Google Meets… No matter if you are in Oz, Prague, London or Glasgow, your bright minds and clear voices can be heard.

We must consider how we protect our future, however poor the experience is for now…
  • Options
    It wouldn’t be the greatest surprise for TS to continue with Haynes & Pearce until the end of the season if they pick up a couple of results in the short term……… the cheaper the better seems to be his MO 
  • Options
    It wouldn’t be the greatest surprise for TS to continue with Haynes & Pearce until the end of the season if they pick up a couple of results in the short term……… the cheaper the better seems to be his MO 
    A surprise? I think it’s the most likely scenario at this point.

Whether they can actually pick up a couple of results is probably a bigger unknown! 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
     Anthony Hayes had the coaching job with the first team because of his belief in that attempted style of football. 

What will Hayes do different to Garner ?
    He has said he believes in possession football.

In one training session JJ changed to 3-5-2 at Sunderland after Adkins went walk-about and with spirit we won plus Jason got away with a beefy challenge in the box.

Jason Pearce can try to cajole the players and show pride, plus In a FA cup tie against a Northern team on the outskirts of Manchester that hate Southern soft bastards we may need to battle in the style Of Pearce than to play the beautiful game.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Two tricky fixtures for them to start with. I make Stockport favourites for tonight and we could be dumped out of the F A Cup live on national TV again. Wouldn't be a great start but then we face a banana-skin at bottom-of-the-table Morecombe. I can see as much depending on the spirit in the camp as opposed to Hayes or Pearce's ability to motivate them - and that's worrying. Garner defended them for far too long and gave too many non-performing players third chances. 
  • Options
    Good to see that realism has crept in and that the Spanish tippy tappy go nowhere football is being called out as boring in the press.

Exactly what we have been doing under current leadership.
    We'll be playing like Portugal...
  • Options
    Good to see that realism has crept in and that the Spanish tippy tappy go nowhere football is being called out as boring in the press.

Exactly what we have been doing under current leadership.
    We'll be playing like Portugal...
    I wish!
  • Options
    I thought Jason Pearce had gone to Wimbledon with Jacko?

Or was that just wishful thinking on my part ?
    But we need a left footed centre half
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good post @Swisdom thanks, I actually feel relatively confident in Hayes’ ability to coach and I suppose it will depend on the ability of the first team players to implement the plan…
  • Options
    I think the same, until and if we are taken over and an alternative manager is appointed. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    "Garner tried to implement his style but many players at his disposal just weren't up to it and that, along with the lack of investment, is why we are where we are rigght now"

Nothing changes... We go to a similar play style, with the same players... We need investment.
    Similar Yes - but not quite the same.

Hayes' teams didn't unnecessarily knock it around at the back - the idea is to keep the ball (you'll hear him say that a lot) but to be a lot more progressive.  Having a midfielder like Aaron Henry helped him because he is a rascal for a quick pass whereas that was part of the failing with the Garner style - it was too slow.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if our backwards passing midfield start thinking progressively 
  • Options
    Two tricky fixtures for them to start with. I make Stockport favourites for tonight and we could be dumped out of the F A Cup live on national TV again. Wouldn't be a great start but then we face a banana-skin at bottom-of-the-table Morecombe. I can see as much depending on the spirit in the camp as opposed to Hayes or Pearce's ability to motivate them - and that's worrying. Garner defended them for far too long and gave too many non-performing players third chances. 
    Re your final sentence…..in all honesty what other choice did he have?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I don't care, which is really sad.
    Exactly how I feel. My sons are the same - absolutely no interest in going to games or watching the streams anymore. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I've deliberately kept away from this for a couple of days to see what the general opinions were but also to gather my thoughts on it.

As a keen observer of the U18's and U23/21's for the last couple of seasons it's been noticeable that their style of play differed from the first team. The academy was full of players who are comfortable in possession and who will play it out from the back too whereas the first team were much less aesthetically pleasing until this season. Garner tried to implement his style but many players at his disposal just weren't up to it and that, along with the lack of investment, is why we are where we are right now

I was at the U18's again last night and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Calm in possession and swift and penetrating when in attack. It's not perfect and it will take time to improve on it, but for large large parts of the game last night we played a Cat1 academy side off the park. That's the way I would like all of our teams to try to play.

Oddly enough the defence playing last night was slightly adapted because we were missing Zach Mitchell as he is presumably involved with the first team tonight, This meant Asiimwe was playing in the middle as opposed to the flying wing-back role i've often seen him in. We also had a rookie in Keenan Gough alongside him and he is new to this level and had a tough night.

Anthony Hayes has been here long enough to know the first team players, he knows ALL the up and coming players too and, with Pearce along side him we might get lucky and find a coupe of coaches who dovetail pretty well and get a tune out of this collective team.

As has been said previously we have had success when recruiting from within so fingers crossed this works in our favour too once more. But please go into this period with a sense of realism and common sense - it's a far from ideal scenario so might not work from day one, or at all. It doesn't mean these guys are useless - they are just doing what they can with the tools at their disposal

Finally, a post from someone with rhein feet on the ground.
    The caretaker might not be a great manager immediately, but let's at least try and remember that a caretaker comes from within to take charge while the owner finds a replacement for the guy he bought in, didn't back in summer, and then sacked.
    Who we get in as full time replacement for Garner is a whole new conversation, as is Garner getting the push, but some of the comments about Hayes getting put in temporary charge are unreal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't watch any of the academy matches but saw zero evidence of being able to play it from the back in our Papa John's match against Plymouth
  • Options
    I’ve always liked Pearce as a leader on the pitch. Not sure about Hayes seems very young and inexperienced at this level. Good luck though. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    "Garner tried to implement his style but many players at his disposal just weren't up to it and that, along with the lack of investment, is why we are where we are rigght now"

Nothing changes... We go to a similar play style, with the same players... We need investment.
    Away from being comfortable on the ball, they just don’t have the footballing intelligence to execute it either. Port Vale away was awful. 
  • Options
    How many games have we played well in this season?  

The last really convincing performance was probably Pompey in mid October
  • Options
    Theo Foley was Irish.
  • Options
     Anthony Hayes had the coaching job with the first team because of his belief in that attempted style of football. 

What will Hayes do different to Garner ?
    He has said he believes in possession football.

In one training session JJ changed to 3-5-2 at Sunderland after Adkins went walk-about and with spirit we won plus Jason got away with a beefy challenge in the box.

Jason Pearce can try to cajole the players and show pride, plus In a FA cup tie against a Northern team on the outskirts of Manchester that hate Southern soft bastards we may need to battle in the style Of Pearce than to play the beautiful game.
    Hayes won’t slag off the ownership every week in the media after the game. That’ll be about the only difference & the reason the change was made.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I don't watch any of the academy matches but saw zero evidence of being able to play it from the back in our Papa John's match against Plymouth
    Think Marshall picked & managed the side against Plymouth recently…..rather than Hayes.
  • Options
    @Swisdom I'm out the loop at Charlton this season and I just wondered why both Deji and Kanu have appeared to be overtaken by other Players of 17 to 19 this season ?
    Deji should've been idea as someone who is a good athlete and can pass from the back and Daniel Kanu scored for fun last season. Both players are 19 and 18 respectively, so why are they being gazumped by other youngsters ?

Ironic that with Mitchell being elevated to the 1st team, probably cost Charlton victory last night as the mistake was made in his absence by his stand in. Parkinson took both his chances well but very much against the run of play. Lots of talent in the U18's and they will be gutted with that loss.
    Kanu took one chance very well and then missed poorly after the one two with Casey when his radar went awry.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    supaclive said:
    The players we have are simply not good enough to play possession based football, building from playing out from the back. 

We have energy and craft in the middle of the park and wide players who can beat a man for fun. 

We should be hitting long diagonal balls and have people feeding off and playing inside the opposition final third.

Our play from the back is slow, cumbersome and technically poor.

The opposition cannot score if the ball is in their half.   

Let's not lump it but let's try and stretch teams with early balls wide. CBT and Rak Siki have to play for that to work but fudge me, what we've tried mainly in the last two months has been pretty piss poor.
    Well said that man. 

Our best players are our wide men. They should be given the ball at all opportunities & told to take on the opposition defenders. We will create more with them on the ball than Dobson, Fraser & Morgan. 
  • Options
    @Swisdom I'm out the loop at Charlton this season and I just wondered why both Deji and Kanu have appeared to be overtaken by other Players of 17 to 19 this season ?
    Deji should've been idea as someone who is a good athlete and can pass from the back and Daniel Kanu scored for fun last season. Both players are 19 and 18 respectively, so why are they being gazumped by other youngsters ?

Ironic that with Mitchell being elevated to the 1st team, probably cost Charlton victory last night as the mistake was made in his absence by his stand in. Parkinson took both his chances well but very much against the run of play. Lots of talent in the U18's and they will be gutted with that loss.
    Kanu took one chance very well and then missed poorly after the one two with Casey when his radar went awry.

DK is playing more on the left (Mbappe role) so not getting as many chances.  He’s seemingly bulked up a bit and will be gone but getting used to a slightly differing role.  Casey has been scoring well so has been the focal point and DK stepping up hasn’t been helped with the number of players out on loan meaning the u21s are not having a stellar season yet. 

ive barely seen Deji to be honest but Zach does seem to be the golden child at the moment and with good reason.  I wonder if the style of play will suit Deji a bit more as he’s a ball player and I think playing out on loan showed him a different, more industrial style of defending and maybe that is a bit alien to him.