Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anthony Hayes appointed caretaker manager. Jason Pearce his assistant......

Comments

• Options
    @Swisdom I'm out the loop at Charlton this season and I just wondered why both Deji and Kanu have appeared to be overtaken by other Players of 17 to 19 this season ?
    Deji should've been idea as someone who is a good athlete and can pass from the back and Daniel Kanu scored for fun last season. Both players are 19 and 18 respectively, so why are they being gazumped by other youngsters ?

Ironic that with Mitchell being elevated to the 1st team, probably cost Charlton victory last night as the mistake was made in his absence by his stand in. Parkinson took both his chances well but very much against the run of play. Lots of talent in the U18's and they will be gutted with that loss.
    Kanu took one chance very well and then missed poorly after the one two with Casey when his radar went awry.

Isn't this a direct result of having to elevate players this season , maybe some before they're 100% ready, due to the lack of signing senior players in the summer ? ie a knock on effect.

If we had good cover in the 1st team squad, then Richard Chin & Zach MItchell, to name but 2, would be playing their part in the U21s and as last night, Zach in the U18s.....

NO way am I saying neither of the 2 afore mentioned lads aren't ready as it's been clear to all who've seen them play ( especially Zach) that they have done  splendid job.

But I'm betting that Newcastle's lads last night were probably at full strength with good/adequate cover in their senior  teams. 
  • Options
    David “Kid” Jensen was Canadian
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    seth plum said:
    Theo Foley was Irish.
    Am I missing something here @seth plum or was this just a random observation, the sort of throw away comment I'm prone to making from time to time myself, much to my wife's amusement.

I know he managed us, but before my time as Nelson was in charge when I first set foot in the Valley.
  • Options
    @Swisdom I'm out the loop at Charlton this season and I just wondered why both Deji and Kanu have appeared to be overtaken by other Players of 17 to 19 this season ?
    Deji should've been idea as someone who is a good athlete and can pass from the back and Daniel Kanu scored for fun last season. Both players are 19 and 18 respectively, so why are they being gazumped by other youngsters ?

Ironic that with Mitchell being elevated to the 1st team, probably cost Charlton victory last night as the mistake was made in his absence by his stand in. Parkinson took both his chances well but very much against the run of play. Lots of talent in the U18's and they will be gutted with that loss.
    Kanu took one chance very well and then missed poorly after the one two with Casey when his radar went awry.

Deji Has gone backwards a little this season even struggled on loan at Wealdstone ended up playing in midfield .. 
    Kanu just don’t think Garner liked him he should have been involved more 
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Isn't this a direct result of having to elevate players this season , maybe some before they're 100% ready, due to the lack of signing senior players in the summer ? ie a knock on effect.

If we had good cover in the 1st team squad, then Richard Chin & Zach MItchell, to name but 2, would be playing their part in the U21s and as last night, Zach in the U18s.....

NO way am I saying neither of the 2 afore mentioned lads aren't ready as it's been clear to all who've seen them play ( especially Zach) that they have done  splendid job.

But I'm betting that Newcastle's lads last night were probably at full strength with good/adequate cover in their senior  teams. 
    I make it that 19 youngsters have made some form of appearance in a first team comp this season. Of those 7 have started League games. We are, undoubtedly, short of players but it does beg the question as to whether, when there is a toss up between am out of form established pro and a kid, TS would rather see the youngster put in the shop window - and if we throw enough of them in then there is a chance that a bid of some description, a la Burstow, will be forthcoming. 

It's not often that we've started with a 17  year old and two 19 year olds in a back five in what is meant to be a serious competition. I hope that they all have a great game because I fear for them tonight and what any mistakes will do for their long term confidence and reputations.
  • Options
    SHIT SHOW
  • Options
    We need a manger and we need one quick.

I would rather cut my left one off with a butter knife than get jackett but jackett is a lot better option than what we currently have
  • Options
    Feel sorry for Chin, clearly not ready but David Brent has left him the only option.
    i hope fans remember it’s the guitar playing narcissistic not the kid trying his best who is at fault here 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Have to agree with Nicholas, playing two midfielders up front for 20 mins in the second half. disrespectful to those hardy fans that traveled all that way to watch that gross.

Him and Jason with all due respect should go back to there previous roles.

No idea where we go from here tbh but it does not look like its up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Useless cnut HAYES - sack him 
  • Options

I make it that 19 youngsters have made some form of appearance in a first team comp this season. Of those 7 have started League games. We are, undoubtedly, short of players but it does beg the question as to whether, when there is a toss up between am out of form established pro and a kid, TS would rather see the youngster put in the shop window - and if we throw enough of them in then there is a chance that a bid of some description, a la Burstow, will be forthcoming. 

It's not often that we've started with a 17  year old and two 19 year olds in a back five in what is meant to be a serious competition. I hope that they all have a great game because I fear for them tonight and what any mistakes will do for their long term confidence and reputations.
    Pointless post - we are shite 
  • Options

They are not good enough….Campbell and Chin may have looked good in U18 but they are not read for this level
  • Options
    Hayes isn't the problem despite the BS coming out of some of your mouths. Garner wasn't the problem. These players, especially the more seasoned pros and the owner however... 
  • Options
    Hayes looks completely lost.
  • Options
    Hayes looks completely lost.
    Everything from Sandgaard's family down look lost. 
  • Options
    Well that went well.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:

Pointless post - we are shite 
    Thanks for your "pointless post - we are shite".

I posted this before the game and said I was worried that TS wants youngsters to be put in the shop window and was worried that one or two might be exposed and lose their confidence as a result. Unfortunately, Chin looked like someone who wasn't ready for first team football, Campbell did well in parts but struggled at times but if you really think that 17 year old Mitchell was "shite" then I am more than prepared to have a sportsman's bet with you that he will end up playing at a higher level than League 1. 
  • Options
    When they said he got ‘A’ licence…….
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have to agree with Nicholas, playing two midfielders up front for 20 mins in the second half. disrespectful to those hardy fans that traveled all that way to watch that gross.

Who played up front for the other 25 then?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Swisdom said:
    I've deliberately kept away from this for a couple of days to see what the general opinions were but also to gather my thoughts on it.

As a keen observer of the U18's and U23/21's for the last couple of seasons it's been noticeable that their style of play differed from the first team.  The academy was full of players who are comfortable in possession and who will play it out from the back too whereas the first team were much less aesthetically pleasing until this season.  Garner tried to implement his style but many players at his disposal just weren't up to it and that, along with the lack of investment, is why we are where we are right now

I was at the U18's again last night and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the game.  Calm in possession and swift and penetrating when  in attack.  It's not perfect and it will take time to improve on it, but for large large parts of the game last night we played a Cat1 academy side off the park.  That's the way I would like all of our teams to try to play.

Oddly enough the defence playing last night was slightly adapted because we were missing Zach Mitchell as he is presumably involved with the first team tonight,  This meant Asiimwe was playing in the middle as opposed to the flying wing-back role i've often seen him in.  We also had a rookie in Keenan Gough alongside him and he is new to this level and had a tough night.

Anthony Hayes has been here long enough to know the first team players, he knows ALL the up and coming players too and, with Pearce along side him we might get lucky and find a coupe of coaches who dovetail pretty well and get a tune out of this collective team.

As has been said previously we have had success when recruiting from within so fingers crossed this works in our favour too once more.  But please go into this period with a sense of realism and common sense - it's a far from ideal scenario so might not work from day one, or at all.  It doesn't mean these guys are useless - they are just doing what they can with the tools at their disposal

🤔…
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

They are not good enough….Campbell and Chin may have looked good in U18 but they are not read for this level
    But my point is that we've used 19 of them this season and 7 in the League - slap enough against the wall and a bid might come in for one or two of them and that could well happen come January in the cases of Leaburn and Mitchell. 
  • Options
    WHO ELSE DO WE PUT UP FRONT?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Fumbluff said:

DJ and Rak-saki?
    Before those changes it looked like Morgan and Payne to me. I may be corrected if wrong of course.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

DJ and Rak-saki?
    Before those changes it looked like Morgan and Payne to me. I may be corrected if wrong of course.
    My point being….midfielders again
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Fumbluff said:

DJ and Rak-saki?
    My point being….midfielders again
    Good point.
  • Options
    I have never seen a manager look so lost for words after just one defeat. He had the look of someone that had lost six on the trot , had tried everything and had completely run out of ideas.