Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Oxford United v Charlton Athletic | Thursday 29 December 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Still trying to work out what Innis was doing when he gave away that corner 
    I can help you with that. Both him and Lavelle are like Bambi on ice and there was a player on him which wouldn't have bothered a player with balance but Innis thought it wiser to give away the corner which may be depressing to us but might have been the right call given what we have previously seen.
  • Options

That was shockingly bad. We were outplayed from start to finish. We don’t have even the basic technical skills. Can’t control a simple pass: ball bobbles up – like a toddler stumbling about in a municipal park.

We can’t pass – every delivery is misplaced. And our midfield! What a vapid and vacuous bunch. Muscled off the challenges: did we actually win a tackle?

Our keeper fucked up again, just as he did through his legs on Monday. Our ‘strikers’ are set free – Blackett-Taylor and Rak-Sakyi – and can’t hit the target.

We have an attacking throw-in. Our man stands with ball over head: no-one sprints, or shifts, or makes space. They are all brain-dead.

Our continuing failure has nothing to do with lack of confidence, or lack of spirit – a common excuse by a section of fans. Our failure has nothing to do with the ref, nor the state of the pitch. Our whole squad, including the academy, is simply devoid of ability. That’s why we have won only five games out of 22 – in the third division.

We all know that the owner is going soon enough. More than that – I would sack the entire recruitment and coaching staff.

Look closely at all of our players – they don’t have the most ordinary, basic technical skills. We are heading for Barrow, Hartlepool and Sutton next year.

Rip it ALL up, and start again.

"Our continuing failure has nothing to do with lack of confidence, or lack of spirit" 
    Really?  NOTHING? OK we are all entitled to opinions etc.
    Even if you look at the performances in just this season there was more effort, desire, "nous" in early season games than now.
    Confidence comes from success, knowing you can achieve, and that you can expect your colleagues can achieve certain standard of performance.Also knowing you are doing what is expected (by your boss etc)
    At the moment everyone is looking to someone else to save them, and they don't know what to expect- what sort of mistake is coming their way.
    Early days for Holden , but a baffling choice wrt team selection. ..also adds to a lack of confidence in "who's in charge?"
    "does he know what he's doing?"
    I hope no players actually read the negative stuff on here, it really is draining just as a fan. I enjoy the witty "black humour" but a lot of stuff is unnecessary/unkind/unfair. Yes I know it comes from repeated disappointments.
    Ultimately you have to decide if being an active supporter brings you any pleasure. I walked away for a few years and missed the Powell promotion and I still don't care. The season before was so poor and I couldn't afford it. I started again when I had bit more cash to spare and was thrilled by the Grant/Taylor attacking .

So my suggestion is those who can and want to support the team if they can at the Valley, encourage them as much you can. But don't join the "supporters" bracket unless you can stomach "humble pie" it comes with the shirt. You can walk away. It might actually help you feel happier.

• Options
    ValleyDan said:
    Watched the game with my Dad tonight on Charlton TV.

He’s  been supporting the club since the mid 50s.

After the first half he said it’s the worst Charlton team he’s ever seen.Totally gutless performance and he said he won’t watch the team until there’s a new owner that knows what he’s doing and actually cares about the club.I think Dad might be in for a long wait and he’s not getting any younger.
    Exactly where I am, though i have only been supporting since 1977.

These idiots are destroying our club 
  • Options
    Trying not to be dramatic but this could be the beginning of the end. League two will kill this club. 
    You only have to look at the clubs in the National League, should we go down this season THERE IS NO REASON WE CANNOT BE THERE.
    There are no clubs in the National League with Charlton’s pedigree, support or stadium. This is because a club of our size won’t be allowed to fall that far without someone stepping in.

There’s a first time for everything and RD is an extraordinary complication but let’s not pretend Notts County, Wrexham, Halifax, Scunthorpe et al are comparable to us. They’re not.
    There is a very important difference, Airman Brown. Our players, manager and coaching staff are not better than non-league teams.

We lost at Stockport just a few weeks back! Stockport were in the National League, the season just gone.

With all our 'pedigree', tradition, history, and all that - we are beaten by these existential facts - our recruitment is wrong, our coaching is weak, and our players lack the simplest of technique.

Every club in the third division has an owner not able, or willing, to spend.  Every single club has injuries and illness - their best players are out with suspension, too.  And yet, watch our men closely: they can't trap a ball, they can't tackle, they can't pass accurately, they can't shoot.

The teams that beat us routinely here, now, in the third division - their players are from academies, they are free transfers, and are scouted wisely from non-league.  Yet they are far, far better players than our squad.  And they win.

Look at Oxford today - quick, accurate, fluent. Each man knows the next move - sharp, smart and true.  Instinctive and intuitive.  Those qualities are discerned by scouts and taught at the training ground.   Look at us!  We have a throw-in, and you can see the cogs grinding in the dull brain: "What do I do now, boss?"

There is a congenital weakness about Charlton that goes back for decades. Raise the horizons. Sack the coaches at Sparrows Lane. Stop hiring fourth-division managers and fourth-division players. 

Totally agree and we have no right to exist, let alone be a league club.

We have been on a long decline for years and these current idiot owners are part of a long chain of failure.

Unless there is a total reboot, we will end up in non league.

• Options

That was shockingly bad. We were outplayed from start to finish. We don’t have even the basic technical skills. Can’t control a simple pass: ball bobbles up – like a toddler stumbling about in a municipal park.

We can’t pass – every delivery is misplaced. And our midfield! What a vapid and vacuous bunch. Muscled off the challenges: did we actually win a tackle?

Our keeper fucked up again, just as he did through his legs on Monday. Our ‘strikers’ are set free – Blackett-Taylor and Rak-Sakyi – and can’t hit the target.

We have an attacking throw-in. Our man stands with ball over head: no-one sprints, or shifts, or makes space. They are all brain-dead.

Our continuing failure has nothing to do with lack of confidence, or lack of spirit – a common excuse by a section of fans. Our failure has nothing to do with the ref, nor the state of the pitch. Our whole squad, including the academy, is simply devoid of ability. That’s why we have won only five games out of 22 – in the third division.

We all know that the owner is going soon enough. More than that – I would sack the entire recruitment and coaching staff.

Look closely at all of our players – they don’t have the most ordinary, basic technical skills. We are heading for Barrow, Hartlepool and Sutton next year.

Rip it ALL up, and start again.

I don't watch many games but saw that one. You clearly missed the second half saying we were outplayed from start to finish. Rubbish.
  • Options
    Shit, on the previous page I’ve learnt that there is no ditection at the club and this really worries me as I don’t know what it is, where it comes from or how much we need?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Trying not to be dramatic but this could be the beginning of the end. League two will kill this club. 
    You only have to look at the clubs in the National League, should we go down this season THERE IS NO REASON WE CANNOT BE THERE.
    There are no clubs in the National League with Charlton’s pedigree, support or stadium. This is because a club of our size won’t be allowed to fall that far without someone stepping in.

There’s a first time for everything and RD is an extraordinary complication but let’s not pretend Notts County, Wrexham, Halifax, Scunthorpe et al are comparable to us. They’re not.
    Deluded, virtually everything about the club is rotten to the core. At the moment we have a bunch of amateurs running a professional club, will not be long before they are running it at their level.
    Sandgaard is already over. You may not like what comes next, but it won’t be amateur.
    Amateur or a useless “professional” -what’s the difference?

We are a shambolic club and in a hopeless position, so whether we like it or not, we have no say other than to protest or boycott.

We will have very few fans left at this rate - read these blogs and see how many long standing fans are simply staying away.

No fans = no club, regardless of how professional the owners might be.

Unless the team is worth supporting, few will bother. 

• Options
    clive said:
    We were the better side in the second half, but the 2-0 scoreline at HT if anything flattered us, so the 3-1 scoreline is fair.

We desperately need reinforcements in January, but to do that we also need to decide what our preferred system is, and stick to it. With all the attacking wide players we have, we have a 433 squad, but one missing a mobile centre forward (other than Leaburn) and a left back. 

If we had kept Purrington and Washington, I suspect we would still be playing 433 and near the playoff positions, i.e. not good enough for the automatics, but nowhere near the relegation places.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cold light of day I think Holden has got too much stick over his team selection and formation yesterday. 

We couldn't play a back four because we didn't have one.  If we played an England style 343 we would have got even more over run 2 v 3 in the middle than we did 3 v 3.  If that is possible.  

Once you playing 352 you have 4 players (Kirk, CBT, JRS and DJ)  that have no place in it.  That is 20% of the senior professionals your allowed.

Aneke, O'Connell, Egbo and McGrandles have various degrees of long term knack.  Another 20% of your allocation of players.

Morgan and Sessegnon have illness and a minor injury respectively. 10%.

JFC is either so knacked he is unpickable or he can't be picked, either way 5%.

That's 55% of the allowable squad unavailable.  The fact we were 2 players short before we started makes it 65%!

3 games in 6 days with Leaburn and Thomas coming back from quite serious injuries and Inniss being Inniss, not sure what else he could have done really.
    You are not wrong, but I still think Holden was very wrong to have such an inexperienced starting 11. He could have started a few more experienced players to balance things a bit, or played a different formation where he could utilise more of the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As soon as Dean Holden was appointed I realised that the so called ''Takeover'' business was rubbish. Methven and crew not much better than ESI. Abysmal team selection. I wonder did Sangaard instruct Holden to play all those youngsters when Taylor, Rak-Saki, Fraser and Kirk were presumably available for 90 minutes. Sadly I believed all the Varney nonsense, not heard much since. Anyone know how long Chucks will be out for as read not a major injury. Comeback Jacko or Lee Bowyer all is forgiven. Sangaard and Holden gutless couple!
  • Options

I respect your views hugely but you've lost me if you think that this club, under the way we are currently being managed and run, is too big to keep falling.

I defy anyone who watched last night to say anything other than unless we get 4 or 5 quality players who also have the right attitude in next month we will go down.  

And once you go into freefall who knows where it will end.

I would also have absolutely zero confidence that the team that played last night would mount a promotion campaign in League 2. As someone else mentioned, we have just been humiliated by a Stockport team that was in the NL only last year.
    One off cup games should never be taken into account when talking about form.

In the same breath we got humbled by Stockport, but just a few weeks later, equalled a Premier League side...
    Stockport completely outplayed us in the Cup and as for equalling a PL side we got battered but held out for a draw. 

A lot of our youngsters are NL level - that's the level they are gping out on loan to. 

There is no ditection in the club and we're possibly the worst in L1 based on current form.

In our last eight games which was a relatively easy run of fixtures we've gained three points.

We make basic mistakes every game and the confidence is draining away.
    Yes, but apart from that?
  • Options
    An atrocious and spineless first half, during which Oxford - like several other 'smaller' clubs - effortlessly outclassed us. The structure of the entire team was shambolic and the 'defence' was all over the shop. We were unable to put two passes together and offered absolutely nothing offensively - just a succession of aimless high balls towards Stockley, which were easily dealt with by Oxford's central defenders. They can't have had an easier game this season.

We improved in the second half with the introduction of Leaburn and Blackett-Taylor but, even after we pulled a goal back and had a few opportunities to equalise, I never fancied us to get a result, even with Oxford content to sit behind the ball. Sure enough, we conceded another poor goal and that was that.

With a couple of honourable exceptions, the team is devoid of confidence and fight and, whilst we desperately need reinforcements, the ownership position is as clear as mud and it remains to be seen as to what funds will actually be made available. Equally importantly, the fact that the team is sat in 18th place and on a downward trajectory hardly makes us an alluring proposition for potential recruits. Desperate times.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Was out all day yesterday and didn't get back till late last night. Saw the result but didn't read any of the post much reports or come on here.

Wow. Sounds absolutely dreadful.
    Regarding the team selection and playing devil's advocate a bit, is it possible that the new bods in charge were using this game to have a good look at the squad and find out exactly what they've inherited? See what they can salvage and where they need to spend?

Probably not. I'm just trying to find something positive from this clustf**k!
  • Options
    Holden needs to explain that team selection, set up to fail dropping Sess, not starting Leaburn, no rak sak or CBT, just asking for it. Oxford are a poor side this season, and we are even worse, I don't think there are 4 sides worse than us at the moment. Think if we don't get anything at 3 point fratton, then we Know we are in serious trouble.

Thanks Sandgaards you f***
    Actually Holden did explain in his pre match interview.

Some players are ill and some players unable to play in 3 matches in 6 days because they have a history of injury and have to have game time managed or are recovering from injury.

We have had this situation now under 5 successive managers.  All have quoted this at some point.

• Options
    Which players are/were ill apart from Albie Morgan?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    It’s clear to me that with every player fit and raring to go (lol) we have an upper mid table side.
    But as soon as we pick up injuries or suspensions we’re screwed. The very definition of a badly run club. 
    January will tell us whether we sink or swim. 
    No way do we mate not even close. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Please just get rid of Holden. He is fucking useless. Saw it within the first half against Peterborough and now after yesterdays absolute shocker of a formation/tactics/team selection and every other bloody thing, i can safely say i was not jumping the gun. 

Also can we get rid of most of these players as well. If Man U can't beat this lot then i would get rid of their manager and players also. 
  • Options
    Please just get rid of Holden. He is fucking useless. Saw it within the first half against Peterborough and now after yesterdays absolute shocker of a formation/tactics/team selection and every other bloody thing, i can safely say i was not jumping the gun. 

Also can we get rid of most of these players as well. If Man U can't beat this lot then i would get rid of their manager and players also. 
     I think you're at the point where you need to step away from all things CAFC buddy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must admit playing a narrow three at the back was found out pretty quickly. Oxford exploited the space really easily , and our wing backs were caught out up the pitch. 
    Feel really sorry for Chin. He's a talented player , but as a center mid. It just seems like he is never sure where he is supposed to be playing the LB or wing back role. Positioning is all wrong. Thomas didnt help him at all. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    cs1986 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It’s clear to me that with every player fit and raring to go (lol) we have an upper mid table side.
    But as soon as we pick up injuries or suspensions we’re screwed. The very definition of a badly run club. 
    January will tell us whether we sink or swim. 
    No way do we mate not even close. 
    On reflection, you may be right. Even with everyone fit we haven't got a left back, and our CB partnerships have rarely worked.
    Midfield lacks real creativity and athleticism. 
    Up top we're lucky that Leaburn has improved so rapidly. CBT, Rak Sakyi and Leaburn are a decent combo if fit and able to play.
    Maybe lower mid table then :-(
  • Options
    Starting to notice that Clare puts the effort in for home games but tends to dial it back when we go away.
  • Options
    clive said:
    We were the better side in the second half, but the 2-0 scoreline at HT if anything flattered us, so the 3-1 scoreline is fair.

We desperately need reinforcements in January, but to do that we also need to decide what our preferred system is, and stick to it. With all the attacking wide players we have, we have a 433 squad, but one missing a mobile centre forward (other than Leaburn) and a left back. 

If we had kept Purrington and Washington, I suspect we would still be playing 433 and near the playoff positions, i.e. not good enough for the automatics, but nowhere near the relegation places.

Martin Sandgaard was responsible for Purrington and Washington departures. Neither have been replaced and both would have massively improved this squad. Most agreed that their departures were okay, as we could do better if they were replaced, but they haven't. Good old steady seven out of ten Ben would have filled a huge hole in the squad, and the press from the front approach was exactly what Washington was all about. I make you right @killerandflash, we would be nowhere near relegation if we kept those two.
    Purrington is more durable than Sessegnon too.

Leaving aside the fact that while Sessegnon can play on the left it's not his natural position, he's not able to play 90 after 90 which is what you expect of a left back. Right from pre-season, we've had to manage Sessegnon, taking him off early or resting him, and it cost us badly yesterday.
  • Options
    I second the comment from a few other posters.

"We got rid of Garner for this ? "

Apparently TS has left the building (thank f##k) but I have a feeling that things ain't getting better anytime soon
  • Options
    Anthony Hayes. Managed us when we beat a Premier League team. Not many people have done that. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Anthony Hayes. Managed us when we beat a Premier League team. Not many people have done that. 
    And was absolutely shit in the league. What's your point?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    If results don't start to change more & more just will not attend games which is already well down then how long will the club keep us at the Valley & look for alternative 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    And was absolutely shit in the league. What's your point?
    Just trying to lighten the mood, but clearly failed. 
    Was absolutely shit in the league?
  • Options
    It's draining doing anything when on the losing side of it. How many players from this team will suddenly start doing way better in a less toxic atmosphere/culture. 
    We have many talented footballers here, only 2 have performed to a proffesional standard all season. 
    We are mentally weak, highlighted by the child like joy we have of winning a game. It should not be an achievement to beat Exeter 4-2 at home, neither did we need to all huddle on the floor when we beat shrewsbury 1-0. 
    Many of our team seem like children honestly, I thought blackett taylor would set league one on fire but he sulked when garner told him to defend, havnt seem him turn up since. 
    This is why we are prime for relegation, forest green even out witted us and they barely have enough fans to make a reserve 11. 
    Garner would have kept us 12th or something mediocre like that.