Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Oxford United v Charlton Athletic | Thursday 29 December 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    Couldn't catch the match thread due to being out at work, just catching up on the post-match comments and can't believe we were that bad. Its almost now that i hope the train strikes coincide with our match day games.
    It really was that bad.Appalling.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    It's about time this team did what the supporters do..
    SHOW UP FOR FUCKS SAKE YOU BUNCH OF LIGHTWEIGHTS. 
  • Options
    Well keep thinking things will improve but it's just the same old sh"t not shutting down missing chances lack of commitment from some players its like we have just given up 
    Just as well teams underneath us are as bad otherwise we will be going down 
  • Options
    Just watched the lowlights on the rolling reels thread.

CBT (?, couldn't see the shirt number) and Leaburn did well for Leaburn's goal.  Looks like AMB's at fault for the third.  Oh well.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    esseffect said:
    Still cannot believe Innis plays for this team.

The problem with having new managers is none of them realise he’s dreadful until it’s too late.

Sean Clare is shocking too… no one to take his place though so why bother?

Felt for Chin, not his fault he has to play. 
    How the fuck can you watch that game and pick on Inniss? 
    People love their scapegoats.

Today was poor management, poor communication, poor discipline. 

The LB position is so painfully obvious a big part of our problem, but so is RB, CB and CF. We need to offload Stockley and keep Leaburn if we're to have a chance of staying up

I admit the team was baffling but those players definitely didnt give there all out there and couldnt have made it easier for Oxford if they tried.

If technically you arent good enough then you MUST put the effort in to grind out a result. 

It was spineless from the players. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    What sort of a moron is this new manager picking that starting eleven in that formation.  Fucking unforgivable.  The bloke is clueless. 
    As callumcafc said:

‘1. Chin in for Sess - enforced due to an injury
    2. Thomas in for Inniss - enforced due to Inniss not being able to start twice in three days
    3. Stockley in for Leaburn - enforced due to Miles only just recovering from a long term injury and likely can’t go twice in three days, other options are all crocked. 

Henry in for Fraser was the only real tweak Holden appears to have made unenforced. And people have been moaning for weeks that Fraser isn’t at the races.’

Don't blame the manager, blame Sandgaard and previous owners who have run the club down to the extent where our squad is so weak we have to play the kids. Blaming Holden is letting TS and the others off the hook. 
    Holden has to take some of the blame. Our first half performances were never this bad under Garner with the same squad.

Holden chooses to play no wingers when he has CBT, Rak-Sakyi, Campbell & Kirk all fit & ready to start. Consequently he is responsible for us creating zero chances in the first half against both Peterborough & Oxford.

We desperately need him to sort out our team selection or we will be relegated. Kanu isn’t ready & shouldn’t be starting every game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    esseffect said:

The problem with having new managers is none of them realise he’s dreadful until it’s too late.

The LB position is so painfully obvious a big part of our problem, but so is RB, CB and CF. We need to offload Stockley and keep Leaburn if we're to have a chance of staying up

I admit the team was baffling but those players definitely didnt give there all out there and couldnt have made it easier for Oxford if they tried.

If technically you arent good enough then you MUST put the effort in to grind out a result. 

On the team selection, when I saw the line up filled with youngsters pre-kick off my first thought was “shop window”. 

Quite what any potentially interested party would have thought of our youngsters (barring Leaburn) by the time the match finished is a different matter! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    esseffect said:

On the team selection, when I saw the line up filled with youngsters pre-kick off my first thought was “shop window”. 

Quite what any potentially interested party would have thought of our youngsters (barring Leaburn) by the time the match finished is a different matter! 
    Tbh I think he is trying to "shake it up" and show that no ones guaranteed a starting spot. We are also threadbare but no excuses, the kids tried with effort and no end product and the more senior pros (Clare mostly) had no willing or end product.

We couldnt get the basics right and if you cant do that, you are in big trouble. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    We have a very very weak squad.
    What successful manager would want to come and work at Charlton knowing how weak it is? None. Not unless promises were made about recruitment. 
    Bleak times. 
    Sad to see Charlton fans drifting away. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    We have a very very weak squad.
    What successful manager would want to come and work at Charlton knowing how weak it is? None. Not unless promises were made about recruitment. 
    Bleak times. 
    Sad to see Charlton fans drifting away. How come Sunderland average over 40,000 in good times *and* bad times and we don’t, no matter how bad the ownership. Serious question. 
    One club City... Isnt as much to do up there... Less money up there maybe, but Football tends to bring people together

They were also a Premier League side just seven years ago - Add a further ten years on top of that for us - As a comparison the season under Powell helped, but we were getting decent crowds that year throughout.

Roland came in and we've been bleeding dry ever since, as fans have been turned away
  • Options
    I have a sick feeling in my stomach. 
  • Options
    A waste of £10 and 2 hours of my life I’ll never get back. Praying that there are four teams worse than us. Praying for a knight in shinning armour 🙏
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited December 2022
    What do you get when you cross a egocentric wannabe football club owner with a kid who has a black box which churns out shite result after shite result? Exactly what we are witnessing week in week out. I do not blame too many of these players, probably only the ones that have played at a higher level club and should be performing better. It is the absolute planks who have allegedly been ‘leading’ or ‘running’ the club who are to blame and I really would like them to fcuk the fcuk off right now. We have seen all sorts of highs and lows over the decades, but the absolute shambles that the Sangaards have created will go down in history as one of the most ineptly managed periods for our great club. An utter disgrace and I will not let myself be drawn in by these sorts ever again. 

As for tonight only Myles, Dobbo and Clare came out with any credit. The rest played like a bunch of unacquainted morons. 

Less than 72 hours to more pain, but I’ll be there…Oh, the life!
    Clare???? In credit, yeah for the first two goals. The bloke is a liability when he performs like last night. 

• Options
    edited December 2022

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feels like Les Reed all over again. Honestly think we're going to need a miracle to stay up. 
  • Options
    This guy is so far out of his depth it's painful.
    It's not so much what he says, it's that he sounds about as convincing and inspiring as a blancmange
    The group, or the pudding?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    This guy is so far out of his depth it's painful.
    It's not so much what he says, it's that he sounds about as convincing and inspiring as a blancmange
    Don’t agree. In the crap circumstances he did as well as can be expected. We love to dig out managers, and now it’s after literally two games. 
    I normally pride myself in being somebody who doesn't jump to rash conclusions.
    So on the face of it I've let myself down.
    I hope you are right and I'll happily eat the humble pie.
    My gut is telling me I'm right though

He's new here and won as many games as he lost with Bristol City in the Championship 18, 19 if you included his 1 as Stoke caretaker. I don't think he's out of his depth. Do I think he'll succeed with us. Doubt it, but hope I'm wrong. If he doesn't, I won't see it as entirely a failing of his own making, as has been the case with most of TS's managers. As another poster said, you can't fix a car with no engine by changing the tyres.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Someone mentioned on the match thread about Inniss going all Steven Seagal at the end of the match - can anyone explain what all that was about?
    It wasn't at the end of the game, it was at one of our corners. There was some jostling going on between Inniss and a defender and Inniss just let him have a forearm smash to persuade him to let go.

If the ref had seen it surely the red card would have come out for Inniss. For the third time this season.

Interestingly Charlton TV never played the incident back or mentioned it.

It will be fascinating to see whether Oxford try to cite Inniss post match (like Stockley at Port Vale) If they don't Karl Robinson is doing us a big favour. (That is if you believe playing Inniss is to our favour)
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    A waste of £10 and 2 hours of my life I’ll never get back. Praying that there are four teams worse than us. Praying for a knight in shinning armour 🙏
    I was waiting for the first request for “shinning” armour to appear
  • Options
    I'm baffled by aspects of our club.

Signing a right footed left back, and one who isn't very durable either. Then using Clayden as cover rather than signing someone else in that position, and then binning him off completely after a couple of months despite the fact that Chin is a worse option at LB. And having to play Campbell there when Chin went off.

As someone else has said, we've TWO SUMMERS RUNNING recruited for a 433, then dumped the system and manager during the season, despite the fact that we don't have the players for a 352 type system either. Hence we started today without CBT, JRS or Kirk, 3 of our main creative elements, and played a completely rusty Thomas at CB just to keep the 3 at the back. 

As for other individuals, Henry does have some ability but he can't play in a midfield two, as you need someone better defensively. In the first half our midfield was a void.

EXACTLY! 

Watching the cycle repeat again is unbelievably frustrating 

That starting line up was so obviously terrible. 
  • Options
    Was at the game. First time this season I've felt like this might be looking like a relegation team.