Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Oxford United v Charlton Athletic | Thursday 29 December 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Completely blanks the question about the transfer window and having a lot to do.
    Did he? The question was phrased in a weird way (almost like two questions in one) that meant he had to acknowledge the window at the start, then go back to address the first bit first of the question and then talk about plans for the window before going back to focusing on tonight’s performance again.

I thought he was very straightforward when he got to addressing the second part of Terry’s long winded question.

It would’ve been nice to have seen him asked a direct question about the window instead of just throwing it in as a comment behind a question about the second half performance.
  • Options
    3 points tops out of our next 6 games 😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    Trying not to be dramatic but this could be the beginning of the end. League two will kill this club. 
    You only have to look at the clubs in the National League, should we go down this season THERE IS NO REASON WE CANNOT BE THERE.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    esseffect said:
    Still cannot believe Innis plays for this team.

The problem with having new managers is none of them realise he’s dreadful until it’s too late.

Sean Clare is shocking too… no one to take his place though so why bother?

Felt for Chin, not his fault he has to play. 
    How the fuck can you watch that game and pick on Inniss? 
    Just got back from the game. another 8 hours and £100  I won’t get back . 

Innis showed some spirit . You need to aim your ire at the crap formation in the first half and the sorry excuse for a first half performance. 

Innis played the second half where we were immeasurably better 
  • Options
    Didn't watch it & only saw the goals on Sky so can't really comment on the match itself. 

However....

No idea what players would want to join us when the transfer window opens next week, but bloody hell, we need at least half a dozen to just give us a chance of staying up. Recruitment last summer was dire & the lack of spending is now showing that league 2 players on a free wont cut the mustard. 

Chin, Henry, Morgan, Stockley & Kanu should be nowhere near the first 11. CBT should start unless injured. JRS should be sent back to Palace and money spent on someone that wants to be here.

Can't warm to Dean Holden. Don't think of him being "our" manager but more as someone just passing through. Really need a proper figure as manager - someone the fans can get behind & who can galvanise the team. Otherwise we are going down. We are currently in freefall and need to start picking up wins asap.

But to end on a high note. Pompey on Sunday and we always win there. Roll on 2023.

I love your parting shot. I told my mate this earlier, there was a silence!

I'm going to Portsmouth thinking we'll come back with at least a point.

COYR!

PS, ffs I'm beginning to sound like @lincsaddick
  • Options
    Trying not to be dramatic but this could be the beginning of the end. League two will kill this club. 
    You only have to look at the clubs in the National League, should we go down this season THERE IS NO REASON WE CANNOT BE THERE.
    The biggest issue is to get stable ownership given the mess we're in. That's more of a concern for me than what league we're in.
  • Options
    Cantona and Giggs are gonna tear us a new one.
    6000 going up there will believe this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What sort of a moron is this new manager picking that starting eleven in that formation.  Fucking unforgivable.  The bloke is clueless. 
    As callumcafc said:

‘1. Chin in for Sess - enforced due to an injury
    2. Thomas in for Inniss - enforced due to Inniss not being able to start twice in three days
    3. Stockley in for Leaburn - enforced due to Miles only just recovering from a long term injury and likely can’t go twice in three days, other options are all crocked. 

Henry in for Fraser was the only real tweak Holden appears to have made unenforced. And people have been moaning for weeks that Fraser isn’t at the races.’

Don't blame the manager, blame Sandgaard and previous owners who have run the club down to the extent where our squad is so weak we have to play the kids. Blaming Holden is letting TS and the others off the hook. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    boggzy said:
    The manager changed the subject sharpish when the transfer window was mentioned!
    He actually said 'it's on the horizon but we know that we are short but that's nothing to do with tonight's performance' so 'changing it sharpish' is being a little bit economic with your description
    Come back on here on transfer deadline day.
  • Options
    This guy is so far out of his depth it's painful.
    It's not so much what he says, it's that he sounds about as convincing and inspiring as a blancmange
  • Options
    The game was last night..? Shit... I feel guilty... won't blame the club if they use the transfer window to get rid of so called supporters like me.
    Doesn't look like we won too...
  • Options
    The biggest issue is to get stable ownership given the mess we're in. That's more of a concern for me than what league we're in.
    Do agree, but we cannot go to these depths you do not know how far it can go.  Look at Oldham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As you say, a first time for everything, as you say, an extraordinary complication.

Tottenham have not won the title since 1961, they are not a minnow, we can easily plummet.  

• Options
    It's not so much what he says, it's that he sounds about as convincing and inspiring as a blancmange
    Have a look at his managerial history, we're in good hands.

Wtf are the clowns  taking people on of this inexperience is what I want to know.

• Options
    There are no clubs in the National League with Charlton’s pedigree, support or stadium. This is because a club of our size won’t be allowed to fall that far without someone stepping in.

There’s a first time for everything and RD is an extraordinary complication but let’s not pretend Notts County, Wrexham, Halifax, Scunthorpe et al are comparable to us. They’re not.
    I agree that the NL would be a long shot without EFL points deductions which is what condemned Luton, but just as scary is a club like Bradford who seem stuck in L2
  • Options
    I know things aren’t particularly rosey, but we’re not even in the League One relegation zone. Talk of the National League is a drastic overreaction.
  • Options
    What do you get when you cross a egocentric wannabe football club owner with a kid who has a black box which churns out shite result after shite result? Exactly what we are witnessing week in week out. I do not blame too many of these players, probably only the ones that have played at a higher level club and should be performing better. It is the absolute planks who have allegedly been ‘leading’ or ‘running’ the club who are to blame and I really would like them to fcuk the fcuk off right now. We have seen all sorts of highs and lows over the decades, but the absolute shambles that the Sangaards have created will go down in history as one of the most ineptly managed periods for our great club. An utter disgrace and I will not let myself be drawn in by these sorts ever again. 

As for tonight only Myles, Dobbo and Clare came out with any credit. The rest played like a bunch of unacquainted morons. 

Less than 72 hours to more pain, but I’ll be there…Oh, the life!
  • Options
    Don’t agree. In the crap circumstances he did as well as can be expected. We love to dig out managers, and now it’s after literally two games. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Don’t agree. In the crap circumstances he did as well as can be expected. We love to dig out managers, and now it’s after literally two games. 
    I normally pride myself in being somebody who doesn't jump to rash conclusions.
    So on the face of it I've let myself down.
    I hope you are right and I'll happily eat the humble pie.
    My gut is telling me I'm right though
  • Options
    There are no clubs in the National League with Charlton’s pedigree, support or stadium. This is because a club of our size won’t be allowed to fall that far without someone stepping in.
    How can you be so sure of that Airman?
    If the unthinkable happened and we were to get relegated this season, I'd guess we would be lucky to sell 4000 season tickets for next season.
    If we assume for the purpose of this argument that there is no imminent takeover, we approach the new season with a dogshit squad, no realistic transfer budget and an owner intent on breaking even.
    No adequate leadership, no competent executive and an engulfing air of failure could easily see us plummet.
    A club in freefall who don't even own the ground that is too big for us
    Why on earth would anybody want "to step in"
    We're not an attractive proposition at present- we've failed to attract decent owners. The structure of the club is a mess and there's no reason why we can't fall further.

I hope we don't end up in the NL but it's certainly a possibility. We're certainly not too big to end up there...
  • Options
    JonT_Abs said:
    Leuth said:
    I also want to caution against writing off Clare. He was atrocious tonight but he's put an incredible shift into a few recent games. Maybe he's tired? Idk
    He's not a right wing back. I do know. 
    Well precisely. He didn't want to play there when on loan at Oxford but Robinson forced him to. His last permanent club in Scotland he was in midfield.

Time & time again we play players in their wrong positions......and you wonder why they don't play well.

Chin isn't a left back
    Sess isn't a left back

We Once had Paul Smythe on loan. Someone (not naming names) decided to play him at wingback. He was dreadful. Now he is playing up front for Orient & scoring for fun.