Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Oxford United v Charlton Athletic | Thursday 29 December 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    boggzy said:
    The manager changed the subject sharpish when the transfer window was mentioned!
    He actually said 'it's on the horizon but we know that we are short but that's nothing to do with tonight's performance' so 'changing it sharpish' is being a little bit economic with your description
  • Options
    As usual we will be fighting for scraps on the last day of the transfer window,Getting players that no other team wants.
  • Options
    I mean genuinely, how many players do we have that can't play three games in 8 days.

It's embarrassing!
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    boggzy said:
    The manager changed the subject sharpish when the transfer window was mentioned!
    He actually said 'it's on the horizon but we know that we are short but that's nothing to do with tonight's performance' so 'changing it sharpish' is being a little bit economic with your description
    “We know where we need to strengthen, we knew that before tonight”
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    I mean genuinely, how many players do we have that can't play three games in 8 days.

It's embarrassing!
    Agree but that’s not on Adkins, or Jackson, or Garner, or Hayes or now Holden.
  • Options
    Bad. Very bad. Said at half time but there was absolutely no idea or effort on show.  There's not a lot to comment on as we just didn't provide much of anything.

Collectively, the defence was a total Shambles with not one of the back 5 even managing to look average. 

A brief bit of hope from Leaburn who again showed his worth and ability. It'll be no surprise to.see him sold in Jan and not one of us can complain, it's more a Gómez than a Burstow situation where the boy will clearly be heading upwards quicker than us and good luck to him.

Extra special mention to Sean Clare who probably put the least effort in,  about 20% max. Slow to react, jogging back to position, half arsed closing down. A moment in the first half when a cleared.lose ball rolled out towards our right,he went to collect it, stopped, watched it roll by no more.than 2 yards in front of him straight to the waiting Oxford winger. 

I'm no manager, coach or tactical genius but, out of these 2 quick away fixtures, this was the more winnable (as proved with a slight second half improvement in patches) should have gone all out for the win here and taken Pompey as it comes.
  • Options
    I just feel sorry for the people that are travelling around the country, paying their hard earned money to watch this. My heart breaks looking at the state we’re in.
    You have to ask yourself why are they? This has been going on for a long time, some clearly are gluttons for punishment.

They don’t have to go, no one’s making them!
    If they stop, the club WILL die.

I thank those that can go for doing all they can.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just feel sorry for the people that are travelling around the country, paying their hard earned money to watch this. My heart breaks looking at the state we’re in.
    You have to ask yourself why are they? This has been going on for a long time, some clearly are gluttons for punishment.

I think you should put your own lol on that response 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Jayajosh said:
    Holden doesn’t instill much confidence with that rabbit in the headlights stare the prick, wtf was he doing with that first half selection?
    He made four changes from Boxing Day, at least three of which he had no choice in.

1. Chin in for Sess - enforced due to an injury
    2. Thomas in for Inniss - enforced due to Inniss not being able to start twice in three days
    3. Stockley in for Leaburn - enforced due to Miles only just recovering from a long term injury and likely can’t go twice in three days, other options are all crocked

Henry in for Fraser was the only real tweak Holden appears to have made unenforced. And people have been moaning for weeks that Fraser isn’t at the races.

I don’t know what more can be expected when we’ve got such a threadbare squad.
    He could have started CBT & Rak Sakyi.

Goals win games and Holden will keep seeing zero shots on target until he starts playing wingers from the off. We create nothing without wide players.

The first half against Peterborough & Oxford have both been shocking. We need to play for more than a 20 min spell in the second half if we actually want to win a game.
  • Options
    I have not felt this low about the club supporting it for over 50 years.  I can't see anyway out of it. What idiot would invest in this shit so we are stuck with TS who will not put any money in. Feel sorry for Holden thrown into the deep end. Innis should never play for the club again. 
  • Options
    Don't know who he will put out against Pompey. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

If they stop, the club WILL die.

I thank those that can go for doing all they can.
    Really? 

I think the way things are going maybe we’d all be better off if the club did die!
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    boggzy said:
    No he didn't. He said "Yeeah it's on the horizon. Errrrm young Aaron Henry in midfield he's another one that's come in..." blah blah blah....
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Jayajosh said:
    Holden doesn’t instill much confidence with that rabbit in the headlights stare the prick, wtf was he doing with that first half selection?
    He made four changes from Boxing Day, at least three of which he had no choice in.

1. Chin in for Sess - enforced due to an injury
    2. Thomas in for Inniss - enforced due to Inniss not being able to start twice in three days
    3. Stockley in for Leaburn - enforced due to Miles only just recovering from a long term injury and likely can’t go twice in three days, other options are all crocked

Henry in for Fraser was the only real tweak Holden appears to have made unenforced. And people have been moaning for weeks that Fraser isn’t at the races.

I don’t know what more can be expected when we’ve got such a threadbare squad.
    He could have started CBT & Rak Sakyi.

Goals win games and Holden will keep seeing zero shots on target until he starts playing wingers from the off. We create nothing without wide players.

The first half against Peterborough & Oxford have both been shocking. We need to play for more than a 20 min spell in the second half if we actually want to win a game.
    The problem when we play wingers is we don't have finishers. But Sess is the only decent wing back. Clare can be on the right sometimes so you have to play one up front with wingers if Sess is not playing. If he is fit, play Leaburn and Stockley and not a kid who isn't ready. This is far from perfect but the reality of a squad that wasn't thought out or completed whatever the full truth is.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Bailey said:

I think you should put your own lol on that response 
    Well, if you’re one the ones that go, maybe time to visit a shrink!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc4life said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Nicholas you can call Albie many things, but a shirker ain't one of them, he busts a gut every game may not be good enough, but he doesn't Shirk.
    He’s a pony footballer though.
    I’m sorry but he plays well once every five games and in the others he is shocking. Like so many others he needs to go 
  • Options
    The young players need introducing from the bench. It is how you fucking do it. It isn't fair on them to throw them in the deep end and hope they swim. It can put them back.
  • Options
    I'm not disagreeing chaps. It's sad but it seems no CM coming through the ranks any time soon will be good enough. 

We really need some of the u23/u21 players to make the step up asap if Sandgaard isn't selling.
  • Options
    We're watching a failing business go to the wall. Just how long it takes.
  • Options
    Can't blame it on the new manager. He's just getting to know the players. But, we could have told him what a weak selection that was in the 1st half. You just can't rely on the academy like that! We had most of our 'better' players on the bench. Serious work needed in the window. What a mess! Thanks Sandgaard!!
  • Options

That was shockingly bad. We were outplayed from start to finish. We don’t have even the basic technical skills. Can’t control a simple pass: ball bobbles up – like a toddler stumbling about in a municipal park.

We can’t pass – every delivery is misplaced. And our midfield! What a vapid and vacuous bunch. Muscled off the challenges: did we actually win a tackle?

Our keeper fucked up again, just as he did through his legs on Monday. Our ‘strikers’ are set free – Blackett-Taylor and Rak-Sakyi – and can’t hit the target.

We have an attacking throw-in. Our man stands with ball over head: no-one sprints, or shifts, or makes space. They are all brain-dead.

Our continuing failure is nothing to do with lack of confidence, or lack of spirit – a common excuse by a section of fans. Our failure has nothing to do with the ref, nor the state of the pitch. Our whole squad, including the academy, is simply devoid of ability. That’s why we have won only five games out of 22 – in the third division.

We all know that the owner is going soon enough. More than that – I would sack the entire recruitment and coaching staff.

Look closely at all of our players – they don’t have the most ordinary, basic technical skills. We are heading for Barrow, Hartlepool and Sutton next year.

Rip it ALL up, and start again.

The throw-ins stood out to me as well....nobody moving.... making space. The club stinks head to foot right now. 
  • Options
    Couldn't catch the match thread due to being out at work, just catching up on the post-match comments and can't believe we were that bad. Its almost now that i hope the train strikes coincide with our match day games.