Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Oxford United v Charlton Athletic | Thursday 29 December 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    What age team would Man United have to field for it to be an even contest?

under 18s?
    under 17s?
  • Options
    Crap team selection by Holden... But I thought he spoke well after the game and we have seen shit performances for years under TS under what 4/5 managers?

Chin. Not ready
    Ness. Not ready
    Lavelle/Innis. Never will be ready
    Clare. Dreadful RB and terrible passer.
    Henry. Good set pieces but too small.
    Campbell. Not ready
    Thomas.  Not fit (maybe not good enough)

When did Fraser become unable to play 3 games a week. He can't play more than 70mims but is that now 70mins only on Saturdays?

Start with Rak Saki, Blackett Taylor, Fraser, Leaburn and Innis and we beat Oxford I reckon. Rest them at the w/e against Pompey.

Need a takeover but the rumours of that sound likely to disappoint from today I fear.  Don't get Leaburn as TS insurance plan as if he has done a load more cash and sold Leaburn to cover it he has weakened an already awful squad/team and likely ends up with a L2 team.
  • Options
    This evening I felt unusually confident that we might grab a win here.............then I saw the line-up/formation and my optimism scarpered. I spent the entire match playing a game on my tablet and just the odd glance at the TV. 

On the plus side, I beat my high score  
  • Options
    Crap team selection by Holden... But I thought he spoke well after the game and we have seen shit performances for years under TS under what 4/5 managers?

Chin. Not ready
    Ness. Not ready
    Lavelle/Innis. Never will be ready
    Clare. Dreadful RB and terrible passer.
    Henry. Good set pieces but too small.
    Campbell. Not ready
    Thomas.  Not fit (maybe not good enough)

When did Fraser become unable to play 3 games a week. He can't play more than 70mims but is that now 70mins only on Saturdays?

Start with Rak Saki, Blackett Taylor, Fraser, Leaburn and Innis and we beat Oxford I reckon. Rest them at the w/e against Pompey.

Need a takeover but the rumours of that sound likely to disappoint from today I fear.  Don't get Leaburn as TS insurance plan as if he has done a load more cash and sold Leaburn to cover it he has weakened an already awful squad/team and likely ends up with a L2 team.
    Pearce was in the TV studio. Couldn't Holden have asked him what he thought of it FFS! He could have rang most of us up and we would have told him.
  • Options
    Dreadful.

That lineup looked very Papa Johns / Carabao Cup 1st round at first glance. 

To barely get out of our half for the first 45 mins is the sort of thing I’d expect (and forgive) against a side like Man United, but away to a very average Oxford in a lifeless atmosphere? 

Nothing against Dean Holden, but I fear this is just another Ben Garner episode where we’ll be looking again in 6 months’ time. Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    What sort of a moron is this new manager picking that starting eleven in that formation.  Fucking unforgivable.  The bloke is clueless. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Text from my son before the game who wisely went out drinking with his mates: 'Weird Team' Says it all really and that is Holden's last chance in my book. No more Weird teams or I will be calling for your head. You are allowed to ask advice from people with a better knowledge of the players you know!
  • Options
    Trust the process.

We go again...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw that line up and added oxford to my accumulator. Now just need Derby to beat Cambridge tomorrow for a 25/1 return.
    Pompey are 1.9 to beat us, it's surely free money.
    I take no pleasure from this, it's a bloody shambles
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Not gonna bother summarising beyond this: We are shite. Pathetic first half. Baffling changes to the starting eleven by the new manager, whatshisname, who praised the depth and quality of his squad in his pre-match interview. Hoof ball is in. Organised defending is not on the menu. Second half was a bit better, after a few changes, including Leaburn replacing Stockley. Wasn’t enough.

Oxford United 3 Charlton 1

Over to you.
    Nailed it.
  • Options
    But he could have played CBT and JRS with Stockley up front to start. Not perfect but would have made some sense. And Thomas was a big risk as was Chin. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    I tell you what is a really good idea.

Spend the beginning part of the last two seasons underinvesting in building a team to play 4-3-3, to then switch it up and change to a manager who prefers to play wing backs and two up top when we have no strikers and no wing backs.

👏 👏 👏 

We should have just kept with Garner, instead of this utter madness we have ourselves in now. 
    'We' did not get rid of Garner, Sandgaard did. Almost certainly because Garner knew and complanied about there being no money to be spent in January.
    Holden is a sock puppet for Sandgaard.

LoOkOuT said:
    Not gonna bother summarising beyond this: We are shite. Pathetic first half. Baffling changes to the starting eleven by the new manager, whatshisname, who praised the depth and quality of his squad in his pre-match interview. Hoof ball is in. Organised defending is not on the menu. Second half was a bit better, after a few changes, including Leaburn replacing Stockley. Wasn’t enough.

Oxford United 3 Charlton 1

Over to you.
    Nailed it.
  • Options
    that's the first time I've walked away from watching us genuinely believing I've played in better teams
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    I tell you what is a really good idea.

Spend the beginning part of the last two seasons underinvesting in building a team to play 4-3-3, to then switch it up and change to a manager who prefers to play wing backs and two up top when we have no strikers and no wing backs.

👏 👏 👏 

We should have just kept with Garner, instead of this utter madness we have ourselves in now. 
    'We' did not get rid of Garner, Sandgaard did. Almost certainly because Garner knew and complanied about there being no money to be spent in January.
    Holden is a sock puppet for Sandgaard.
    Holden is a sock puppet for Charlie Methven and his would-be backers. Sandgaard has merely facilitated this until his sale is complete. Guessing it may be late January so they have an excuse for spending sod all in the window.
  • Options
    Pompey, Barnsley, Peterborough and Bolton - four of our next five. Happy days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR

I think any Charlton fan could see that happening with the initial line up. Granted he is just through the door, but Holden gives me the fear, we are in big trouble
  • Options
    Completely blanks the question about the transfer window and having a lot to do.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned on the match thread about Inniss going all Steven Seagal at the end of the match - can anyone explain what all that was about?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I also want to caution against writing off Clare. He was atrocious tonight but he's put an incredible shift into a few recent games. Maybe he's tired? Idk
    He's not a right wing back. I do know. 
  • Options
    The one positive about tonight is that on the way to Oxford I stopped off at the Rebellion Brewery in Marlow to pick up some bottled draught beer, so at least having just got home, I have something decent to drink as a reward for that having to watch that game.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Dreadful.

That lineup looked very Papa Johns / Carabao Cup 1st round at first glance. 

To barely get out of our half for the first 45 mins is the sort of thing I’d expect (and forgive) against a side like Man United, but away to a very average Oxford in a lifeless atmosphere? 

Nothing against Dean Holden, but I fear this is just another Ben Garner episode where we’ll be looking again in 6 months’ time. Rinse and repeat.
    He's only got a six month contract in any event.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Someone mentioned on the match thread about Inniss going all Steven Seagal at the end of the match - can anyone explain what all that was about?
    What I took from that comment was they weren't watching it and there were a lot of comments about the incident at the corner that made it sound like multiple different incidents.