Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Oxford United v Charlton Athletic | Thursday 29 December 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    2022 feels like one of the worst in our history, no highlights whatsoever. 
  • Options
    Reminds me of the slide of Leyton Orient many moons ago.
  • Options
    Some clubs have a new manager bounce, we have a new manager splat.

Absolutely clueless across the park, on the touchline and upstairs.

Right now this club is heading in one direction only: Division Four.

Unless something drastic happens in the transfer market in January we aren't going to improve; this group of players as a collective is nowhere near good enough to stay up and there doesn't even seem to be the fight and attitude to compensate.
  • Options
    That was the first game I’ve seen since Forest Green. Wow. Truly awful. 
  • Options
    Horrible team selection. Totally wrong shape. Players out of position. Too many youngsters who aren’t ready. Poor from Holden, even allowing for the difficulties with injuries and squad depth. 

Horrible defensively for all the goals. Almost every time we got into a good area the final pass was not good enough.

Bit better second half and we scored from
    the one good cross we put in and then didn’t really look likely after that. Another defensive lapse killed the game. 

One of the worst performances in what is on course to be our worst ever season. Playing the way we are at the moment we are relegation certainties. Big fixes needed in January but today has done nothing to convince me Holden is the man to make those fixes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Just got back to the office from a plant issue, was it really that bad.

No, it was worse. Very hard to do how bad it was justice in words in all honesty. All went wrong when the starting eleven was announced. An idiot would know what was going to happen but Holden didn't seem to. I suppose you have to give him that as a lesson in players he doesn't know but he can't do that again surely.
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    Who the hell would want to sign for us?
    And that is a major issue. In our current situation we will only attract mercenaries.
  • Options
    At least Hayes had some kind of plan against Brighton, the team seemed to respond to him.
  • Options
    Didn't watch it & only saw the goals on Sky so can't really comment on the match itself. 

However....

No idea what players would want to join us when the transfer window opens next week, but bloody hell, we need at least half a dozen to just give us a chance of staying up. Recruitment last summer was dire & the lack of spending is now showing that league 2 players on a free wont cut the mustard. 

Chin, Henry, Morgan, Stockley & Kanu should be nowhere near the first 11. CBT should start unless injured. JRS should be sent back to Palace and money spent on someone that wants to be here.

Can't warm to Dean Holden. Don't think of him being "our" manager but more as someone just passing through. Really need a proper figure as manager - someone the fans can get behind & who can galvanise the team. Otherwise we are going down. We are currently in freefall and need to start picking up wins asap.

But to end on a high note. Pompey on Sunday and we always win there. Roll on 2023.

• Options
    Powell-esque clear out needed in summer- hopefully in league one! 

So many players given an easy ride, and have seen themselves through 4+ managers…
  • Options
    I tell you what is a really good idea.

Spend the beginning part of the last two seasons underinvesting in building a team to play 4-3-3, to then switch it up and change to a manager who prefers to play wing backs and two up top when we have no strikers and no wing backs.

👏 👏 👏 

We should have just kept with Garner, instead of this utter madness we have ourselves in now. 
    Yeah but Garner said some mean things about Thomas and that hurt his fragile ego so BG had to go I’m afraid…
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Holden is clearly out of his depth and the squad is absolute dogshit. Dobson and Leaburn the only 2 I'd want to keep but I'd be amazed if someone doesn't come in for Leaburn in January. 

Stockley, Clare and Lavelle as professional footballers would be laughable if they didn't play for our club.
  • Options
    Got to be the most depressing end to a football year as a Charlton fan in my 55 years of following them. We are in deep, deep shit 
  • Options
    Suicide watch on catv
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The new manager has plenty to do win over the fans. 
    That performance was dire, and nobody knew how to change things. 
    Lincoln match will be a relegation 6 pointer. 
  • Options
    Just got back to the office from a plant issue, was it really that bad.

No, it was worse. Very hard to do how bad it was justice in words in all honesty. All went wrong when the starting eleven was announced. An idiot would know what was going to happen but Holden didn't seem to. I suppose you have to give him that as a lesson in players he doesn't know but he can't do that again surely.
    Maybe Sandgaard told him he has to play the youth team, because there will not be any quality coming in during January?
  • Options
    STOP PRESS.

Large queues forming outside Texas banks as punters queue to pay back in cheques they drew out earlier today to invest in us.
  • Options
    2022 feels like one of the worst in our history, no highlights whatsoever. 
    Brief candles of Garnerball.... 

https://youtu.be/vnu8H0x4l60
  • Options
    Of we don't turn this around soon we are going to end up on the Shitpile of hasbeens.
  • Options
    My gloom and doom posts makes me go for another two fingers of Jamesons.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Holden needs to explain that team selection, set up to fail dropping Sess, not starting Leaburn, no rak sak or CBT, just asking for it. Oxford are a poor side this season, and we are even worse, I don't think there are 4 sides worse than us at the moment. Think if we don't get anything at 3 point fratton, then we Know we are in serious trouble.

Thanks Sandgaards you f***
    The thing is you could see a fragility in Oxford but the mistakes they made were not punished.