Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Oxford United v Charlton Athletic | Thursday 29 December 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    I'm baffled by aspects of our club.

Signing a right footed left back, and one who isn't very durable either. Then using Clayden as cover rather than signing someone else in that position, and then binning him off completely after a couple of months despite the fact that Chin is a worse option at LB. And having to play Campbell there when Chin went off.

As someone else has said, we've TWO SUMMERS RUNNING recruited for a 433, then dumped the system and manager during the season, despite the fact that we don't have the players for a 352 type system either. Hence we started today without CBT, JRS or Kirk, 3 of our main creative elements, and played a completely rusty Thomas at CB just to keep the 3 at the back. 

As for other individuals, Henry does have some ability but he can't play in a midfield two, as you need someone better defensively. In the first half our midfield was a void.

Nail on the head and sadly it isn't rocket science. If you have an owner who knows less about football than my dog but thinks he knows more than the pros, this is what you get. We have got ourselves into a postion where we have glaring holes in three positions and players who can't muster a couple of games together as well as players who are clearly there just to pick up their wage cheques.

The last 'owner' who knew anything about football was Jiminez and unfortunately he was a potless you know what. We are a very hard team to support being owned by unlikeable stupid cnuts for so long and this one is up there with the most unlikeable and most stupid when it comes to football.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    What sort of a moron is this new manager picking that starting eleven in that formation.  Fucking unforgivable.  The bloke is clueless. 
    As callumcafc said:

‘1. Chin in for Sess - enforced due to an injury
    2. Thomas in for Inniss - enforced due to Inniss not being able to start twice in three days
    3. Stockley in for Leaburn - enforced due to Miles only just recovering from a long term injury and likely can’t go twice in three days, other options are all crocked. 

Henry in for Fraser was the only real tweak Holden appears to have made unenforced. And people have been moaning for weeks that Fraser isn’t at the races.’

Don't blame the manager, blame Sandgaard and previous owners who have run the club down to the extent where our squad is so weak we have to play the kids. Blaming Holden is letting TS and the others off the hook. 
    Holden has to take some of the blame. Our first half performances were never this bad under Garner with the same squad.

Holden chooses to play no wingers when he has CBT, Rak-Sakyi, Campbell & Kirk all fit & ready to start. Consequently he is responsible for us creating zero chances in the first half against both Peterborough & Oxford.

We desperately need him to sort out our team selection or we will be relegated. Kanu isn’t ready & shouldn’t be starting every game.
    You can play wingers without anybody for them to feed or wing backs with only two players who can play the position to any acceptable level.The problem is going into the season with the weaknesses we did and being a injury here or there away from disaster. I and others were saying this at the end of the last window.

Against Posh it was ok to play wing backs as we had two players who could play there. Against Oxford we didn't which is the long and short of it. Of course we had to play wingers yesterday as you have to look at the quality you can put on the pitch. The team selected was never going to work and it merely showed that Holden hasn't got a handle on what the players limitations are and is either too arrogant to ask anybody or doesn't trust them! 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    It’s clear to me that with every player fit and raring to go (lol) we have an upper mid table side.
    But as soon as we pick up injuries or suspensions we’re screwed. The very definition of a badly run club. 
    January will tell us whether we sink or swim. 
    Yes, true but as we all know, no club can avoid injuries. We went into the season with one establihed fit striker. Yes Leaburn has been a bonus but the established striker has lost his confidence probably because he is not effective playing on his own up front. The other striker can't play more than 20-30 minutes when he can play. What sort of joke situation is that? And what sort of idiot owner allows that to happen? We probably don't need answers to those questions as we have worked them out.
  • Options
    big question is, where did Sandy find Holden ? .. the answer must be the bargain basement, he was the cheapest option available
  • Options
    Holden's lineup partly at fault - unless somebody "up top" is instructing him to play as many youth products as possible?

• Options
    I left when the third went in which allowed. Me to get out of the car park and back home by 11.20 which is the only positive I can take from that shower of dog mess.

when I looked at the team sheet you could see what the end result would be, can’t understand what holden was trying to achieve with that line up, only comfort I can cling to is that a number of this squad are being binned off and replaced and that’s why. 

They passed it around us with ease for the majority of the game and it was men v boys. 

Second half was better but still no where near good enough. We need 8-10 new players in January and hope they gel quickly because of not I really fear league 2 football will be at the valley soon. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Somebody "up top" can shout out instructions as much as they like about playing as many youth products as possible, that was all he had to choose from wasn't it, it's a lame duck team waiting to be put out of it's misery...
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    All this talk of tactics, new managers & team selections and there is one glaring issue that's easy to rectify........

Maybe, just maybe  PLAY  IN  FUCKING  RED.
  • Options
    We can only wait and hope that a takeover cones in time for 8 plus signings in January. 
    Only Dobson and Leaburn have it in them in a relegation fight. 
    The squad is full of dross (Stockley, Clare, Morgan, Innis, Lavelle etc) and youngsters from the academy and that of others who are not ready or good enough for this level. The academy is not producing at the same level as before  eg with players now loaned for experience at National League level which doesn’t help. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Dazzler21 said:
    I just feel sorry for the people that are travelling around the country, paying their hard earned money to watch this. My heart breaks looking at the state we’re in.
    You have to ask yourself why are they? This has been going on for a long time, some clearly are gluttons for punishment.

They don’t have to go, no one’s making them!
    If they stop, the club WILL die.

I thank those that can go for doing all they can.
    Really? 

I think the way things are going maybe we’d all be better off if the club did die!
    Bailey said:
    I just feel sorry for the people that are travelling around the country, paying their hard earned money to watch this. My heart breaks looking at the state we’re in.
    You have to ask yourself why are they? This has been going on for a long time, some clearly are gluttons for punishment.

They don’t have to go, no one’s making them!
    I think you should put your own lol on that response 
    Well, if you’re one the ones that go, maybe time to visit a shrink!
    Jesus wept. I know people have got the ump but I really can't believe nobody has pulled this bloke up on these comments.

Listen Martin, maybe you need to stop posting straight after games. It clearly doesn't do you any good and makes you sound like, well, a bit of a wally really. Suggesting the fans are mad and the club should die. Jesus, have a word with yourself.
    I think Marty might have a point on the first bit
  • Options
    I think Oxford may well be annoyed the margin of victory wasn’t higher, they were better than us in every way.
    I haven’t sussed out my Manchester United arrangements yet, and I am shocked at myself that I have virtually zero appetite or desire to go.
    If the personal stars are aligned I will probably get there, but watching us get shredded and utterly humiliated is going to hurt big time.

• Options
    Trying not to be dramatic but this could be the beginning of the end. League two will kill this club. 
    You only have to look at the clubs in the National League, should we go down this season THERE IS NO REASON WE CANNOT BE THERE.
    There are no clubs in the National League with Charlton’s pedigree, support or stadium. This is because a club of our size won’t be allowed to fall that far without someone stepping in.

There’s a first time for everything and RD is an extraordinary complication but let’s not pretend Notts County, Wrexham, Halifax, Scunthorpe et al are comparable to us. They’re not.
    I respect your views hugely but you've lost me if you think that this club, under the way we are currently being managed and run, is too big to keep falling.

I defy anyone who watched last night to say anything other than unless we get 4 or 5 quality players who also have the right attitude in next month we will go down.  

And once you go into freefall who knows where it will end.

I would also have absolutely zero confidence that the team that played last night would mount a promotion campaign in League 2. As someone else mentioned, we have just been humiliated by a Stockport team that was in the NL only last year.
  • Options
    Trying not to be dramatic but this could be the beginning of the end. League two will kill this club. 
    You only have to look at the clubs in the National League, should we go down this season THERE IS NO REASON WE CANNOT BE THERE.
    There are no clubs in the National League with Charlton’s pedigree, support or stadium. This is because a club of our size won’t be allowed to fall that far without someone stepping in.

There’s a first time for everything and RD is an extraordinary complication but let’s not pretend Notts County, Wrexham, Halifax, Scunthorpe et al are comparable to us. They’re not.
    I respect your views hugely but you've lost me if you think that this club, under the way we are currently being managed and run, is too big to keep falling.

I defy anyone who watched last night to say anything other than unless we get 4 or 5 quality players who also have the right attitude in next month we will go down.  

I would also have absolutely zero confidence that the team that played last night would mount a promotion campaign in League 2. As someone else mentioned, we have just been humiliated by a Stockport team that was in the NL only last year.
    One off cup games should never be taken into account when talking about form.

In the same breath we got humbled by Stockport, but just a few weeks later, equalled a Premier League side...
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Not seen it posted anywhere...but where was Kirk and JF-C last night?  Too many inexperienced youngsters - their experience would have helped.  I know that both are not exactly highly thought of - but both would have improved the team - especially when Kirk is played more centrally and is, probably, our most creative player...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Nicholas you can call Albie many things, but a shirker ain't one of them, he busts a gut every game may not be good enough, but he doesn't Shirk.
    Agree with this. 
  • Options
    Still trying to work out what Innis was doing when he gave away that corner 
  • Options
    Can’t see us having the money to survive we need a complete back 4 new striker 2 if Leaburn is sold couple of wingers/ wide forwards. On top of that clubs no we are desperate so will up prices and wages.so I think it’s our first visit to division 4. which is ridiculous for the size of our club and fan base. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    There is some utter dross in this squad.

With the exception of Dobson & Leaburn, I don't mind who goes in January!!
    This squad thrashed Plymouth 5-1 just a couple of months ago. We scored 4 against Ipswich. We beat Derby County. We beat Premiership Brighton. This squad is clearly capable. But capable too infrequently.

From now until the end of the season we should all get behind the team 100% that is what we are called to do. As 'supporters'.  Even BG remarked on more than one occasion the volume of negativity about the place at our club was immense . I think that cancer hasn't been cut out since the RD days. And it must. Or we will certainly be joining. JJ next season in Div 2. It's in our hands. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Saw that line up and added oxford to my accumulator. Now just need Derby to beat Cambridge tomorrow for a 25/1 return.
    Pompey are 1.9 to beat us, it's surely free money.
    I take no pleasure from this, it's a bloody shambles
    If Pompey beat us we really are in the shit given how bad their recent record is against us.
  • Options

One off cup games should never be taken into account when talking about form.

In the same breath we got humbled by Stockport, but just a few weeks later, equalled a Premier League side...
    Stockport completely outplayed us in the Cup and as for equalling a PL side we got battered but held out for a draw. 

A lot of our youngsters are NL level - that's the level they are gping out on loan to. 

There is no ditection in the club and we're possibly the worst in L1 based on current form.

In our last eight games which was a relatively easy run of fixtures we've gained three points.

We make basic mistakes every game and the confidence is draining away.

• Options

How many times do I need to say this? There are no useful comparators for Charlton in the National League - no clubs whose presence there tells us anything because they are nothing like Charlton post 1945.

A club like Portsmouth can get relegated to L2 so heavy falls are possible, and Charlton could fall too, but the fact Notts County or Halifax Town or Mansfield or anyone you like to name ended up there is not evidence it could happen to Charlton. It is irrelevant.

You’ve already seen that a third party has installed a management structure at Charlton. The idea this is Sandgaard’s work is a fiction for the EFL and to protect his ego. He is done as majority owner. Change is coming, whether it’s Methven’s lot, Varney’s or some other party. 

If we continue on the current trajectory we will get relegated to L2. It could happen but I expect action to be taken to prevent that. It is highly improbable we would drop through that level.
    The opening of the transfer window is just days away though. Won't EFL approval of the changes be needed before we make use of it? Does TS still have any say, or is Rodwell the de facto CEO pulling his strings.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    There is some utter dross in this squad.

With the exception of Dobson & Leaburn, I don't mind who goes in January!!
    This squad thrashed Plymouth 5-1 just a couple of months ago. We scored 4 against Ipswich. We beat Derby County. We beat Premiership Brighton. This squad is clearly capable. But capable too infrequently.

From now until the end of the season we should all get behind the team 100% that is what we are called to do. As 'supporters'.  Even BG remarked on more than one occasion the volume of negativity about the place at our club was immense . I think that cancer hasn't been cut out since the RD days. And it must. Or we will certainly be joining. JJ next season in Div 2. It's in our hands. 
    The score was 1-0 when Plymouth, after 39 minutes were reduced to 10 men and they still managed to find the net, we did score 4 at home to Ipswich but we conceded 4 too so we achieved a point in doing so, we beat a Derby side 1-0 in what was the second match of the season and they have scored one or less goals on 14 occasions so far this season and we beat Brighton on penalties in a game in which we got lucky as they hit the woodwork on a number of occasions, had 18 shots to our 6 and 77% possession. Unless your name is Gillingham (seven goals all season) then one would hope that even by accident you might win the odd game. 

I'm not saying that we have some players that are good enough to get us up the table but we don't have a squad. We've become reliant on a 19 year old who had never kicked a ball in anger prior to this season to get us the goals, another 19 year old to play at in a position (left back) that is totally foreign to him and numerous other kids to get us out of the situation we find ourselves in. Many of the senior pros aren't good enough, don't care or aren't mentally strong enough for a battle or are, in the great tradition of players signed during the course of the last decade, injury prone and spend more time on the treatment table than on the pitch.