Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eoghan O’Connell signs for Wrexham

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    I think the chances of Bale playing for Wrexham are virtually nil. He turned down the chance to play for his boyhood club Cardiff City a far bigger club in the Championship. Why would he join league 2 Wrexham who he has no connection to whatsoever? 
    Again, Wrexham is not a situation where the normal trends apply. 

Players won’t join them prioritising whether it’s the highest possible level they can play at. It’s all the glitz and glam around it, and the being part of something that is being talked about on a global level (and Cardiff isn’t doing that, regardless of whether they’re a better team or not).

I don’t think Bale will join them, but if a Welsh football club is on the lips of everyone in LA then I’d be surprised if he isn’t involved in some way in the background. 
  • Options
    Ben Foster turned down joining Newcastle earlier on in the season and later signed for Wrexham. Don’t underestimate the Ryan Reynolds factor and the wave they are riding at the moment. Stranger things have happened. 

Aha, if it's good enough for Ben Foster then it must be okay for Gareth Bale?!
  • Options
    Sorry, I could not resist the above comment, it's been a long day.

• Options
    The mind boggles :)
  • Options
    Last time Wrexham signed a big name ( Ian Rush )  in league 2  that went well.

17 Starts 
    0 goals 
  • Options
    Last time Wrexham signed a big name ( Ian Rush )  in league 2  that went well.

17 Starts 
    0 goals 
    TBF Rush had only scored 3 goals in his last 50 games, since leaving Liverpool for a second time, before that.  And he was 37. 
  • Options
    I did wonder if Chris Gunter might get a gig there.
  • Options
    Probably asked Dons for permission to take part on the open top bus already 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    I think Wrexham would know better than that.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Richard J said:
    Currently they don't have many Welsh players. He would be okay for L2 and although Bale has now overtaken his haul of Caps it would still be seen as a symbolic signing.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Scoham said:
    Richard J said:
    Currently they don't have many Welsh players. He would be okay for L2 and although Bale has now overtaken his haul of Caps it would still be seen as a symbolic signing.
    He has been playing in L2 this season and by all accounts, he’s been just as shit as he was here. 
  • Options
    Ben Foster turned down joining Newcastle earlier on in the season and later signed for Wrexham. Don’t underestimate the Ryan Reynolds factor and the wave they are riding at the moment. Stranger things have happened. 
    Like that horse becoming pope?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Reynolds net worth £280 million . Big fish in conference but limited how far he can take them with his money. Traditionally a league 2 club they have now reached their level.
    Think it's similar to Salford and Rushden amd Dimond.  You can smash the national league and league 2 buy paying league 1 wages.  You can't smash league 1, normally, buy just paying league 1 wages because you will have 2 or 3 teams paying championship wages.

For context Bromley's total turnover was less than 2 million quid in their last accounts.  Your talking % on income, not wealth. When you have the costs of a big(ish) league 1 club it starts coming out of your wealth,  which is far less attractive, as Thomas has found out. 
    Wrexham have certainly acquired a plethora of League One and Two players on three year deals, probably for a few quid more per week than before. They've won promotion and we will all see how they do in League Two next season.

Perhaps only a handful of the squad will be replaced over the summer but the first XI might look very, very different at the beginning of the season after next.

Wrexham are doing something very different commercially: not only sold out with a new stand being built but their social media aggregated following is rocketing every quarter. Was 1M six months ago, then 1.5M on the 2nd anniversary of their takeover and now 2M. Who knows how many pay to watch their games online.

As for O'Connell, never that impressed and never a top six League One player. We're OK with Hector, Inniss and Ness plus Elerewe developing. We have far bigger weaknesses in midfield where neither Payne nor Morgan are good enough.

In summary Wrexham have accelerated their development using the cheque book. But let’s see where they are at the end of September after 10 games played. 

Meanwhile who knows where we will be - all depends upon who's on the SMT and the budgets / approach for 2023/24. Ideally people with the appetite, wealth, vision and technical talent to return us to the top six?

What conclusions would you arrive at after they have played ten games?
    that they will probably smash their way straight through L2
  • Options
    Just seen an interview with Gareth Bale . No he’s not joining Wrexham. I think we are likely to see more fantasy links.
  • Options
    Bale probably too busy designing his own fantasy links tbh
  • Options
    Just seen an interview with Gareth Bale . No he’s not joining Wrexham. I think we are likely to see more fantasy links.
    Hilarious the way talks about spending time with his family, as if he'd been playing non stop football for the last 3 years
  • Options
    Hilarious the way talks about spending time with his family, as if he'd been playing non stop football for the last 3 years
    I have a feeling he does not speak Spanish allowing for the length of time he spent out there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Fed up hearing about Wrexham to be honest.  

I spose it's a good news story in a sea of abject shite, so good luck to them. But do t really see why it warrants so much attention all over the place.
    Mickey Thomas FA Cup goal against Arsenal needs to be shown more 😂
  • Options
    Lovely OG header this week by O'Connell.
  • Options
    Lovely OG header this week by O'Connell.
    He was run ragged by Eisa and Leko . He looked awful as did the rest of his team.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Not everything is going well in Wrexham, for their game saturday it was announced that all tickets had been sold for UK based fans. However for international fans tickets were still available ........ wtf ? The locals were not happy.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Hope they go down. Absolutely fed up with Wrexham
    My thoughts exactly 
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Ir would be amusing but I think they'll finish top half.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    apparently the BBC are incredibly interested in league 2 lately.. not expecting the same coverage for the next NL winners.

I dont even want them to go down, mid table mediocrity for about ten years will do.
  • Options
    Isn’t the interest that Wrexham have created Stateside considered to have helped in getting some of our 722 American ‘investors’ to join 🎵the Charlton family🎵 (Adams Family music plays)
    or was it just for the chance to lose money hand over fist for our wonderfully exciting third tier team that lured them in .

• Options
    Not everything is going well in Wrexham, for their game saturday it was announced that all tickets had been sold for UK based fans. However for international fans tickets were still available ........ wtf ? The locals were not happy.
    For such a small stadium, you’ve got to look after the locals or the kids and future supporters won’t get involved.
    Their owners are putting the cart before the horse.