Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eoghan O’Connell signs for Wrexham

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    I live 10 miles from Wrexhams ground and drive past it when setting off on my journey to the valley. Their story so far is amazing and the way it has lifted the area is massive. The owners have done a fantastic job there, if only our American had an ounce of their intelligence I think our story could have been so different.
    It remains to be seen whether they have the funds to bankroll a climb up the leagues, time will tell
    What’s amazing about it? Multi millionaires buy club and it gets promoted (with a league one budget).
    Have done a great job there the way they have run the club and the people they have got in and the players they have recruited. Plenty of millionaire owners have been utterly f***ing useless.

A lot of fans are just jealous but can't admit it.

Of course i'm jealous. I'd love us to be run by millionaires who get us promoted. Still doesn't mean it is some fairytale that they've romped the league.  
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    AndyG said:
    I live 10 miles from Wrexhams ground and drive past it when setting off on my journey to the valley. Their story so far is amazing and the way it has lifted the area is massive. The owners have done a fantastic job there, if only our American had an ounce of their intelligence I think our story could have been so different.
    It remains to be seen whether they have the funds to bankroll a climb up the leagues, time will tell
    What’s amazing about it? Multi millionaires buy club and it gets promoted (with a league one budget).
    Have done a great job there the way they have run the club and the people they have got in and the players they have recruited. Plenty of millionaire owners have been utterly f***ing useless.

A lot of fans are just jealous but can't admit it.

Of course i'm jealous. I'd love us to be run by millionaires who get us promoted. Still doesn't mean it is some fairytale that they've romped the league.  
     They're good owners - maybe you could give them a bit of credit. I doubt you will...
  • Options
    They’ve even managed to secure themselves a big money friendly against Man United as part of their US Summer tour. 

Absolutely no way the likes of Mansfield, Barrow etc are going to be able to compete with them. 
  • Options
    On the non-league circuit ploughing money into a club can find success quicker than in the professional game.  However, there is no guarantee but with these owners they have spent wisely and listened, unlike at another club I can think of.
    With a promotion momentum the next season sometimes leads to a very good season in the higher division, I'd not be surprised if the taffs get to the play-offs next season.
    However, it will be interesting to see how they have progressed in the next three seasons when on s more level playing field.
  • Options
    Wrexham are also redeveloping their ground and adding 5,500 seats at one end behind the goal. Will take their capacity up to around 15k in time for the 24-25 season.
  • Options
    Also saw this which shows you the impact on the local area. 

This is from the guy who runs the pub next to the ground which was made famous in the documentary:
    Wayne said the pub gets an average of 20 to 30 overseas tourists every day, adding: “We had around 50 to 60 Australians in the pub this week. We’ve had over 1,000 Americans in the last eight weeks. They have all been lovely, buying drinks and spending money in the town and staying in hotels.”

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Orient's success less down to shrewd and canny ownership than 'a fucking enormous injection of cash from an American investor' - a very familiar tale, except less interesting than Wrexham's
  • Options
    Reynolds net worth £280 million . Big fish in conference but limited how far he can take them with his money. Traditionally a league 2 club they have now reached their level.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Orient's success less down to shrewd and canny ownership than 'a fucking enormous injection of cash from an American investor' - a very familiar tale, except less interesting than Wrexham's
    Well...

Roland Duchatelet doubtless bangs on to his peers in smart Belgian restaurants about the enormous injection of cash he put into Charlton. We know how that turned out. 

As for it being less interesting, well only because of the star profile of the Wrexham owners, which makes it a media story. I think it's more interesting (and relevant to us) that someone sees potential in Leyton Orient, and then quietly gets on with delivering on it. But hey, each to his own. 
  • Options
    I think it's extraordinarily boring that UK assets are being hoovered up post-Brexit by Yanks, as was always the plan 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    They’ve even managed to secure themselves a big money friendly against Man United as part of their US Summer tour. 

Absolutely no way the likes of Mansfield, Barrow etc are going to be able to compete with them. 
    They're playing Chelsea on their USA tour as well 
  • Options
    Reynolds net worth £280 million . Big fish in conference but limited how far he can take them with his money. Traditionally a league 2 club they have now reached their level.
    Think it's similar to Salford and Rushden amd Dimond.  You can smash the national league and league 2 buy paying league 1 wages.  You can't smash league 1, normally, buy just paying league 1 wages because you will have 2 or 3 teams paying championship wages.

For context Bromley's total turnover was less than 2 million quid in their last accounts.  Your talking % on income, not wealth. When you have the costs of a big(ish) league 1 club it starts coming out of your wealth,  which is far less attractive, as Thomas has found out. 
  • Options
    Let's see what happens in L2 and if they get promoted to L1.....it will be a lot tougher and we'll see if Hollywood will stick around losing money hand over fist. By then Disney and Tik Tok will be gone as well. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think it's extraordinarily boring that UK assets are being hoovered up post-Brexit by Yanks, as was always the plan 
    UK assets have been 'hoovered up' by anybody anywhere since well before Brexit .. difficult nowadays to think of a major UK/English company or utility which is not foreign owned .. 1973 Genesis album .. Selling England by the Pound .. more about English traditions being usurped by Americana but the notion holds true for English Family Silver companies sold overseas ..
    I mean Mcvities', ultimately owned by a Turkish conglomerate .. w t f !!  .. so even the profits from my Digestive or Rich Tea biccy with a cuppa are syphoned off abroad, never mind who owns the tea bag company   :|
  • Options
    cafctom said:

What a fairytale 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Well I certainly don't like it, but this Wrexham circus is a free advertisement to accelerate that process and more likely to make buying thos eassets appeal to the Look-at-me types, than the quiet ones like whoever the Orient owner is, and of course Berylson down the road
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also saw this which shows you the impact on the local area. 

This is from the guy who runs the pub next to the ground which was made famous in the documentary:
    Wayne said the pub gets an average of 20 to 30 overseas tourists every day, adding: “We had around 50 to 60 Australians in the pub this week. We’ve had over 1,000 Americans in the last eight weeks. They have all been lovely, buying drinks and spending money in the town and staying in hotels.”

And if you believe the above you will believe anything.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Let's see what happens in L2 and if they get promoted to L1.....it will be a lot tougher and we'll see if Hollywood will stick around losing money hand over fist. By then Disney and Tik Tok will be gone as well. 

Where will all these tourists be then?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Think it's similar to Salford and Rushden amd Dimond.  You can smash the national league and league 2 buy paying league 1 wages.  You can't smash league 1, normally, buy just paying league 1 wages because you will have 2 or 3 teams paying championship wages.

For context Bromley's total turnover was less than 2 million quid in their last accounts.  Your talking % on income, not wealth. When you have the costs of a big(ish) league 1 club it starts coming out of your wealth,  which is far less attractive, as Thomas has found out. 
    Wrexham have certainly acquired a plethora of League One and Two players on three year deals, probably for a few quid more per week than before. They've won promotion and we will all see how they do in League Two next season.

Perhaps only a handful of the squad will be replaced over the summer but the first XI might look very, very different at the beginning of the season after next.

Wrexham are doing something very different commercially: not only sold out with a new stand being built but their social media aggregated following is rocketing every quarter. Was 1M six months ago, then 1.5M on the 2nd anniversary of their takeover and now 2M. Who knows how many pay to watch their games online.

As for O'Connell, never that impressed and never a top six League One player. We're OK with Hector, Inniss and Ness plus Elerewe developing. We have far bigger weaknesses in midfield where neither Payne nor Morgan are good enough.

In summary Wrexham have accelerated their development using the cheque book. But let’s see where they are at the end of September after 10 games played. 

Meanwhile who knows where we will be - all depends upon who's on the SMT and the budgets / approach for 2023/24. Ideally people with the appetite, wealth, vision and technical talent to return us to the top six?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Wrexham have certainly acquired a plethora of League One and Two players on three year deals, probably for a few quid more per week than before. They've won promotion and we will all see how they do in League Two next season.

Perhaps only a handful of the squad will be replaced over the summer but the first XI might look very, very different at the beginning of the season after next.

Wrexham are doing something very different commercially: not only sold out with a new stand being built but their social media aggregated following is rocketing every quarter. Was 1M six months ago, then 1.5M on the 2nd anniversary of their takeover and now 2M. Who knows how many pay to watch their games online.

As for O'Connell, never that impressed and never a top six League One player. We're OK with Hector, Inniss and Ness plus Elerewe developing. We have far bigger weaknesses in midfield where neither Payne nor Morgan are good enough.

In summary Wrexham have accelerated their development using the cheque book. But let’s see where they are at the end of September after 10 games played. 

Meanwhile who knows where we will be - all depends upon who's on the SMT and the budgets / approach for 2023/24. Ideally people with the appetite, wealth, vision and technical talent to return us to the top six?

What conclusions would you arrive at after they have played ten games?
  • Options
    They will have 36 to play?
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Well given that Disney reportedly make over 400k per episode i guess they'll probably want to keep it going. I can't see why Tiktok wouldn't want to continue either, but even if they don't renew (the deal ends soon) i'm sure Wrexham won't be short of sponsorship offers.

Personally i think they'll get promoted from league 2. With their money, the squad they already have, and of course no doubt they'll go and sign some more league 1 level players, i don't envisage there being 4 better teams than them. But i'd agree with other posters, league 1 is their ceiling, that's a huge step up in terms of the finances it will require.
  • Options
    Last couple of years they've signed players from two divisions above so expect them to target Championship players.
  • Options
    Just as an aside, my non league team Dartford met Wrexham twice in the national league. They won one game at the Racecourse, might have been both but I can't remember. The Wrexham fans were described as fantastic,vdespite being beaten by a much smaller team when their club was a mess. That sort of thing shows nobility in sport, and on that basis, I'm happy for their fans for finally getting a silver lining after years of clouds.
  • Options
    Wrexham are already getting gates bigger than the smaller to middling clubs in League One. Can only see their gates (and, subsequently, their revenue) increasing quite exponentially due to the Hollywood factor and that they are the only noticeable club in North Wales. Huge catchment area if you think about it.

The Championship will be achievable. It's the step up from there that will be the biggest challenge.
  • Options
    I've climbed an escarpment over Cefn Druids' stadium. I'd call that noticeable! If you happen to have been holidaying in the area and chosen to climb that specific escarpment, mind