Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eoghan O’Connell signs for Wrexham

Comments

• Options
    Wrexham are already getting gates bigger than the smaller to middling clubs in League One. Can only see their gates (and, subsequently, their revenue) increasing quite exponentially due to the Hollywood factor and that they are the only noticeable club in North Wales. Huge catchment area if you think about it.

The Championship will be achievable. It's the step up from there that will be the biggest challenge.
    Their gates should be up to 15000 once the new stand is completed - sponsorship deals will remain in place while the owners are there.

If Wrexham manage to establish themselves in the Championship that would be a considerable achievement.

Most clubs are one bad owner away from disaster - the bad outweigh the good.
  • Options
    Wrexham are already getting gates bigger than the smaller to middling clubs in League One. Can only see their gates (and, subsequently, their revenue) increasing quite exponentially due to the Hollywood factor and that they are the only noticeable club in North Wales. Huge catchment area if you think about it.

The Championship will be achievable. It's the step up from there that will be the biggest challenge.
    Their gates should be up to 15000 once the new stand is completed - sponsorship deals will remain in place while the owners are there.

If Wrexham manage to establish themselves in the Championship that would be a considerable achievement.

Can't see them stopping there, either. A 20k-25k stadium isn't beyond the realms of possibility within the next 5 years.
  • Options

Huge Liverpool/Man Utd contigents around there, will be interesting to see if Wrexham now pull some of those in.
  • Options
    I struggle to work out where I sit with it tbh as an outsider (I only watched the 1st episode of their series so not been too engaged).

As a pure football purist, I want them to fail as I’m not a fan of celebrity football and ‘shock’ short term uplifts that haven’t been earned the hard way. (A La Salford).  I think they’ve got very lucky the way so many things have aligned for them and it’s given them real momentum. 

But on the other hand those two actors seem really likeable and you get sucked into thinking I wish that was my club  It’s turned into an absolute marketing dream, and everything they do or put out media wise seems to land well.

I still think it’s currently built on sand not solid foundations, but as said it’s got real momentum and if they’ve had good luck up till now, they’ll need some bad luck over the next 2-3 years to not keep advancing as a club. J

ust heard they sold 25,000 replica shirts last year and have ordered 35,000 for the start of the season. They’re going to generate income over the next year that will dwarf virtually every club outside the championship.

It will turn negative at some stage in the next few years (look at Myfootballclub and Ebbsfleet as an example) and I hope they stay sensible to ensure they don’t get left with too high wage bill etc once the spike in income levels dip. 
    The club has been run pretty sensibly up to now and they've got good people in charge. The infrastructure and ground are being developed and it doesn't appear to me that the foundations are being ignored.

There are many far worse owners out there.
  • Options

Can't see them stopping there, either. A 20k-25k stadium isn't beyond the realms of possibility within the next 5 
    Reynolds doesnt have the money to make them a force further than league 1 at best. 
    If you look at the club history even with the Hollywood effect Wrexham would never sustain crowds of 20 - 25k
  • Options
    I struggle to work out where I sit with it tbh as an outsider (I only watched the 1st episode of their series so not been too engaged).

As a pure football purist, I want them to fail as I’m not a fan of celebrity football and ‘shock’ short term uplifts that haven’t been earned the hard way. (A La Salford).  I think they’ve got very lucky the way so many things have aligned for them and it’s given them real momentum. 

But on the other hand those two actors seem really likeable and you get sucked into thinking I wish that was my club  It’s turned into an absolute marketing dream, and everything they do or put out media wise seems to land well.

I still think it’s currently built on sand not solid foundations, but as said it’s got real momentum and if they’ve had good luck up till now, they’ll need some bad luck over the next 2-3 years to not keep advancing as a club. J

ust heard they sold 25,000 replica shirts last year and have ordered 35,000 for the start of the season. They’re going to generate income over the next year that will dwarf virtually every club outside the championship.

It will turn negative at some stage in the next few years (look at Myfootballclub and Ebbsfleet as an example) and I hope they stay sensible to ensure they don’t get left with too high wage bill etc once the spike in income levels dip. 
    The club has been run pretty sensibly up to now and they've got good people in charge. The infrastructure and ground are being developed and it doesn't appear to me that the foundations are being ignored.

There are many far worse owners out there.
    Agreed, but there’s a natural ceiling for clubs like Wrexham and at some stage along the line, the Disney feature will end, the celeb novelty factor will wane and with it will be the wider commercial spike they are seeing in sponsorship and international retail income. Where their forward projections and spend commitments are at that point will be key. I’ll admit there seems no sign yet though of those concerns materialising but it’s still very early days and in the bubble phase. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Can't see them stopping there, either. A 20k-25k stadium isn't beyond the realms of possibility within the next 5 
    Reynolds doesnt have the money to make them a force further than league 1 at best. 
    If you look at the club history even with the Hollywood effect Wrexham would never sustain crowds of 20 - 25k
    The club history means very little towards their future. They are all of a sudden a club with an international fanbase that is only interested in the here and now and where they go in the coming years. 

Anybody in the US, or even in the UK, can just latch onto them as the cool, new, hip band on the scene that gives them something to look at outside the Premier League. 

I was in Los Angeles recently, and on more than one occasion had people asking me about Wrexham as soon as it was let on that I was an English football fan. They’ve got massive billboards on Hollywood Boulevard for the documentary. 

We have to accept that Wrexham right now are a ‘bigger’ club than 95% of everything below the top 6 of League One, and are just going to keep growing. 

Things like the size of stadium/attendance might be the be all and end all for most clubs outside the Premier League, but US type franchises are looked at a bit differently. And that’s effectively what Wrexham are about to become, if they haven’t already. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SantaClaus said:
    If I had to put my money on Charlton or Wrexham being in the higher division in 3 years time it wouldn't the Addicks I'd be betting on. 

I'd imagine they'll be above us before you're coming down the chimney in 2024. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Reynolds net worth £280 million . Big fish in conference but limited how far he can take them with his money. Traditionally a league 2 club they have now reached their level.
    Think it's similar to Salford and Rushden amd Dimond.  You can smash the national league and league 2 buy paying league 1 wages.  You can't smash league 1, normally, buy just paying league 1 wages because you will have 2 or 3 teams paying championship wages.

For context Bromley's total turnover was less than 2 million quid in their last accounts.  Your talking % on income, not wealth. When you have the costs of a big(ish) league 1 club it starts coming out of your wealth,  which is far less attractive, as Thomas has found out. 
    Once you get to L1, you're competing against former PL clubs if you want promotion, clubs with big fanbases, wage bills and "glamour". And if you make it to the Championship as a minnow, you're doing well to survive 2 seasons. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    cafctom said:

The club history means very little towards their future. They are all of a sudden a club with an international fanbase that is only interested in the here and now and where they go in the coming years. 

Anybody in the US, or even in the UK, can just latch onto them as the cool, new, hip band on the scene that gives them something to look at outside the Premier League. 

I was in Los Angeles recently, and on more than one occasion had people asking me about Wrexham as soon as it was let on that I was an English football fan. They’ve got massive billboards on Hollywood Boulevard for the documentary. 

We have to accept that Wrexham right now are a ‘bigger’ club than 95% of everything below the top 6 of League One, and are just going to keep growing. 

Things like the size of stadium/attendance might be the be all and end all for most clubs outside the Premier League, but US type franchises are looked at a bit differently. And that’s effectively what Wrexham are about to become, if they haven’t already. 
    Think we will have to agree to disagree. People supporting  Liverpool are not suddenly going to support Wrexham and a few Americans buying replica Wrexham shirts is not going to boost the crowds . Yes they have the Hollywood connection for now but I would  be very surprised if they got much more than 15 k average regardless of size of ground. 

TS is worth more than Reynolds and his money  investment quickly dried up which I think Reynolds will find out if they go any higher.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

Think we will have to agree to disagree. People supporting  Liverpool are not suddenly going to support Wrexham and a few Americans buying replica Wrexham shirts is not going to boost the crowds . Yes they have the Hollywood connection for now but I would  be very surprised if they got much more than 15 k average regardless of size of ground. 

TS is worth more than Reynolds and his money  investment quickly dried up which I think Reynolds will find out if they go any higher.
    So do you think that all the people who watch the Wrexham documentary, which generates 400k per episode, are Wrexham fans? Of course they aren’t. 

It doesn’t matter if Sandgaard is richer. Wrexham’s business is far more profitable than Charlton’s right now, let alone what it could be in another couple of years. 

Like I said before, it doesn’t matter what the crowds are. They’re going to be making money through avenues that most non Premier League clubs couldn’t even dream of.

And if you don’t think armchair Man United or Liverpool fans will start paying interest to Wrexham, then let me remind you that 27,000 people packed The Valley earlier this season just to watch YouTubers play football. 

would they do that every week though?
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

So do you think that all the people who watch the Wrexham documentary, which generates 400k per episode, are Wrexham fans? Of course they aren’t. 

It doesn’t matter if Sandgaard is richer. Wrexham’s business is far more profitable than Charlton’s right now, let alone what it could be in another couple of years. 

Like I said before, it doesn’t matter what the crowds are. They’re going to be making money through avenues that most non Premier League clubs couldn’t even dream of.

And if you don’t think armchair Man United or Liverpool fans will start paying interest to Wrexham, then let me remind you that 27,000 people packed The Valley earlier this season just to watch YouTubers play football. 
    We will see where they are in 3 years. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

The median average attendance in League One is below 10,000.

The ‘new’ Wrexham can definitely achieve that as long as their brand is staying relevant to the masses - which it will as long as the celebrity aura is around them and the story is still there to follow.

And if they don’t, then they’ll still make tons of money through sponsorship and the documentary.

They’ll be an anomaly in League 1/2 in the sense that their attendances won’t necessarily be the main key source of revenue, like it is for the rest of us in the lower leagues. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

So do you think that all the people who watch the Wrexham documentary, which generates 400k per episode, are long term Wrexham fans? Of course they aren’t. 

Wrexham have a better business model than a lot of EFL clubs - there may be a ceiling on their attendance but there are other ways to generate revenue. They may fail in the long run but they seem far more in touch with the modern world than a lot of badly run EFL clubs.

Owners need to be smart and wealthy.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

We will see where they are in 3 years. 
    Above us, probably, at the very least in the same division. People underestimate the power of social media and what the younger generations are interested in and what they latch onto nowadays. If Wrexham spend pretty big and it pays off, and they keep on winning, they'll have a large enough fan base to sustain a championship club, even when it starts to go sideways. The Hollywood Boys will then sell up anyway and make a tidy profit off the back of it
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

So do you think that all the people who watch the Wrexham documentary, which generates 400k per episode, are long term Wrexham fans? Of course they aren’t. 

Wrexham have a better business model than a lot of EFL clubs - there may be a ceiling on their attendance but there are other ways to generate revenue. They may fail in the long run but they seem far more in touch with the modern world than a lot of badly run EFL clubs.

Owners need to be smart and wealthy.
    Depends what you mean by “failure” really. 

If they get themselves into the top half of League One, which I reckon is extremely likely in a few years, then they’d have come a very long way. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the true marketability of Wrexham comes when they stop winning every week.

I fully expect them to steam roll league 2 next season, then it's a question of how much momentum they carry into league 1.  Also in all honesty who is in league 1 when they get there.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think the true marketability of Wrexham comes when they stop winning every week.

I fully expect them to steam roll league 2 next season, then it's a question of how much momentum they carry into league 1.  Also in all honesty who is in league 1 when they get there.
    Good point....if the likes of Sheff Wed, Derby, Bolton, Ipswich and daresay Portsmouth are promoted the next couple of years it could clear a path for a team with good financial backing to push for promotion.....not counting us as one of those though !!!!
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

The median average attendance in League One is below 10,000.

The ‘new’ Wrexham can definitely achieve that as long as their brand is staying relevant to the masses - which it will as long as the celebrity aura is around them and the story is still there to follow.

And if they don’t, then they’ll still make tons of money through sponsorship and the documentary.

They’ll be an anomaly in League 1/2 in the sense that their attendances won’t necessarily be the main key source of revenue, like it is for the rest of us in the lower leagues. 
    Their lowest home attendance this season was 9,805, highest was 10,161, practically a sell out every game. When they finally get around to rebuilding the Kop end (they've been talking about it for years & it's been closed since 2008) they'll probably sell out that as well.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, that might cause a significant North South divide if Bale were to unretire and play for them 😳🫣
    Seriously, that will be huge.
  • Options
    Just those tweets alone will create more buzz, and probably revenue, for Wrexham outside of the UK than the rest of League 2 combined. 
  • Options
    They are marketing masters I’ll give them that, or they’re being advised by some very clever people.
  • Options
    It'd be great if Bale signed, he'd cost bundles of dough and get kicked all over the place.  He'd not be a success on the pitch.

• Options
    It'd be great if Bale signed, he'd cost bundles of dough and get kicked all over the place.  He'd not be a success on the pitch.

He would be kicked, yes, but he would be top scorer in league 2 if he had to play in a blindfolded
  • Options
    I think the chances of Bale playing for Wrexham are virtually nil. He turned down the chance to play for his boyhood club Cardiff City a far bigger club in the Championship. Why would he join league 2 Wrexham who he has no connection to whatsoever?