Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eoghan O’Connell signs for Wrexham

Comments

• Options
    In reality, DH has got 4 months left on his contract. 
    He’s not going to say/do anything to upset the owner/future owner. 
    However, the sale of EOC is an error - not quite the same scale as the Frenchman sale, but he would have been a decent skipper to take us into next season. 
    TS isn’t going to put any more money into CAFC and has sold almost anyone of value and replaced them with loans. 
    We need a new owner pronto or we will have yet another spell in this awful division. 
    Within 2 years, O’Connell will probably be playing against us for Wrexham. 
  • Options
    I quite liked O'connell, but you learn not to get too attached to players these days. Says something when one of your better signings (it's all relative I know) is prized away by fucking Wrexham though! An offer too good for the player and club to turn down....Jesus wept!
  • Options
    Crazy decision but then the club is being run by a madman so expect nothing more.
  • Options
    Unfortunately the reasons for these sales or loans are because TS is pissing money. I agree with most of the outgoings and I'm not sure that O'Connell was as good as everyone thinks, he certainly didn't show that in the first half of the season. Back to Sandgaard, it doesn't matter how much he tries to save he will keep pissing money that he doesn't have, in terms of sales he probably has three sellable assets in the Team, Fraser, Dobson and Leaburn. Sandgaard's costs are rising not going down and if Holden goes at the end of the season he has to find another Manager but I don't think that manager would accept the bullshit fed to Garner and with the moves out Sandgaard has to replace them. His problem is still that he thinks he can make it work and everyone else knows he can't. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    In reality, DH has got 4 months left on his contract. 
    He’s not going to say/do anything to upset the owner/future owner. 
    However, the sale of EOC is an error - not quite the same scale as the Frenchman sale, but he would have been a decent skipper to take us into next season. 
    TS isn’t going to put any more money into CAFC and has sold almost anyone of value and replaced them with loans. 
    We need a new owner pronto or we will have yet another spell in this awful division. 
    Within 2 years, O’Connell will probably be playing against us for Wrexham. 
    How any can even consider comparing O'Connell leaving to Yann shows how quick to faux outrage this fanbase is.
    Obviously no one thinks O'Connell was as good or as important to us as Yann, but it's got the same vibe - January deadline day transfer that makes no sense in footballing terms so proves there's more behind it, the owners an idiot, things are bad behind the scenes etc.

• Options
    probably a situation where O'Connell was pestering about getting back in the first team, Wrexham though non league is this year's 'talk of the football world' and looks a sexy and successful place to play, Holden needs to balance the books and keep down wages and bring in some transfer cash, and lastly Ness and Inniss have become a settled pair .. as ever, no straightforward answer to 'WHY ?' .. nowadays players spend less and less time at clubs and no move is ever (to me at least) a total shock
    I wonder how much say DH had in EOC going, suspect a minority voice maybe out -voted/overruled?
  • Options
    I posted this on the Hector thread,but I think that Holden worked with EOC at Walsall. Sometimes these previous connections are not necessarily positive.

Realistically we can't expect Dean to criticise TS like Garner did but I think it is possible that Holden might be genuine in his comments.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Richard J said:
    I posted this on the Hector thread,but I think that Holden worked with EOC at Walsall. Sometimes these previous connections are not necessarily positive.

Realistically we can't expect Dean to criticise TS like Garner did but I think it is possible that Holden might be genuine in his comments.

A classic "Incovenient Truth". I am going to ignore it and carry on plotting an awful revenge on Methven for this, because he's a ****.
  • Options
    probably a situation where O'Connell was pestering about getting back in the first team, Wrexham though non league is this year's 'talk of the football world' and looks a sexy and successful place to play, Holden needs to balance the books and keep down wages and bring in some transfer cash, and lastly Ness and Inniss have become a settled pair .. as ever, no straightforward answer to 'WHY ?' .. nowadays players spend less and less time at clubs and no move is ever (to me at least) a total shock
    I wonder how much say DH had in EOC going, suspect a minority voice maybe out -voted/overruled?
    I would imagine when Holden was appointed he was told there would be a lot of changes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I noticed that Holden mentioned about players moving 'closer to home'. I suspect that Eoghan was someone in that category.
  • Options
    Ever present in the league up to his injury against Ipswich. 

Statbank average up to and including the Ipswich game 

O’Connell: 6.42
    Inniss: 6.24
    Lavelle: 5.36

Back after 2 months out and comes on in stoppage time against Lincoln. Home win

20 minutes as a sub at Old Trafford when we go 3 at the back. 

Next up v Barnsley comes on for the injured Kane before halftime. Home win, clean sheet 

On the basis of the those 2 league games he would have had a job getting in front of Inniss and Ness.

After the Bolton defeat would he have got back in if still here? Sooner rather than later

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Just scored to make it 1-2... Really is a day for the ex-Addicks
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Ever present in the league up to his injury against Ipswich. 

Statbank average up to and including the Ipswich game 

O’Connell: 6.42
    Inniss: 6.24
    Lavelle: 5.36

Back after 2 months out and comes on in stoppage time against Lincoln. Home win

20 minutes as a sub at Old Trafford when we go 3 at the back. 

Next up v Barnsley comes on for the injured Kane before halftime. Home win, clean sheet 

On the basis of the those 2 league games he would have had a job getting in front of Inniss and Ness.

After the Bolton defeat would he have got back in if still here? Sooner rather than later

Definitely. Sooner or later Inniss picks up an injury or a red card which means 5 matches out, right? Or Ness needs a rest. Or both, heaven help us.

And of course Holden brought Thomas on yesterday. No way I'm buying that Holden wouldn't have preferred to be bringing EOC on. 

Still stinks, for me.
  • Options
    He certainly improved as the season progressed but I thought in general he looked wooden and mechanical. He might well have ended up as our best CB but that’s really not saying too much. No idea if Hector is the answer but Inniss, Thomas, O’Connell and Lavelle certainly were / are not. Ness has potential but this summer we need to look at this position yet again. 
  • Options
    There's no way he would have ended up our best CB that's Ness for me now.

EOC might well have gotten back in the first team as soon as Innis breaks down or gets sent off or Ness needs resting but the measure for me is he wouldn't have gotten into either Powell or Bowyer's promotion teams. Ness has the potential to be of that standard but EOC doesn't.

Agreed he would have come on instead of Thomas but if he's not the long term answer getting a fee and wages off the books isn't the worst thing in the world with relegation now looking very unlikely.
  • Options
    I was surprised and a bit disappointed when he was sold but...............

He wasn't getting picked for the first team and from his point of view didn't want to sit on the bench waiting for an opportunity.
    If the £350k is correct it's a good price for Charlton whatever is going on in the background.
    I would also suspect he has got a fairly big wage increase and he's moved nearer to his long term home.
    It's obviously gonna work out two ways. We'll have either brought in players who are better and we won't miss him or we'll regret selling him and who honestly knows for certain which way it will go.

• Options
    350k ????

Source? Charlie Methven??  Oh….
  • Options
    I was surprised and a bit disappointed when he was sold but...............

He wasn't getting picked for the first team and from his point of view didn't want to sit on the bench waiting for an opportunity.
    If the £350k is correct it's a good price for Charlton whatever is going on in the background.
    I would also suspect he has got a fairly big wage increase and he's moved nearer to his long term home.
    It's obviously gonna work out two ways. We'll have either brought in players who are better and we won't miss him or we'll regret selling him and who honestly knows for certain which way it will go.

He got a serious injury at the end of October and has only just got back and has been selected on the bench for the last few games.
  • Options
    It's all been said, but baffling on the Connor Washington scale.
    We always looked far more composed with him in the backline, added to which he could pick a great long pass to relieve pressure and set us on the attack. It makes no sense, but then very little does anymore when it comes to us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We always looked far more composed with him in the backline, added to which he could pick a great long pass to relieve pressure and set us on the attack. It makes no sense, but then very little does anymore when it comes to us.
    Did you see the first half against Derby?.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Did you see the first half against Derby?.
    Yes, I was there.
    He wasn't great that game, McGrandles was awful and I still don't know how we won.
    But once he settled in after a few games, that's what I was referring to.
  • Options
    Fair enough good assessment.
  • Options
    We got a fee for him which I expect was at least £200k or so. It was all about bringing money in and reducing the wage bill, while doing enough to remain competitive to secure L1 football for next season.
  • Options
    All received a £250000 bonus for promotion  . Not bad for non league football