Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eoghan O’Connell signs for Wrexham

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:

Charlton Manager Dean Holden said: “When I walked into the club centre-half was an area I wanted to look at. We’ve been able to bring in some real quality and experience in the form of Michael Hector and I have also been really pleased at the emergence of Lucas Ness, as well as what I have seen from the other young defenders. 

“Eoghan wants to be playing every week and the move provides him with a longer-term deal with great financial reward, as well as the regular football he craves. Given the lack of first team opportunities he was likely to get here, and the fee involved, it makes sense for us as a football club. He’s a really good character and a top professional and we wish him the best for the future.”

Ok unless our medical team can produce results bordering on witchcraft and get Hector fit enough to ever play DH has just plummeted in my estimation. That is just taking supporters as mug punters
    He’s been put out there to defend the indefensible. Stinks.
    He knew the score when he took the gig, this is all part of the plan. 
  • Options
    Well we knew why he got the job, he’s a yes man. That’s all he is. 

Got lucky that he managed to get a few results on top of it.
    Was anyone under the impression that Holden had come here to build something long term? 

Think the salt of the earth northerner thing has blinded a few. This was the plan from the start. Assuming we stay up, what happens in the summer will determine if it was a good idea. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Every manager is a yes man, if they weren't they wouldn't be in the job. The fact is sometimes they have to accept their players being sold from under them. This is one of those occasions.
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Charlton Manager Dean Holden said: “When I walked into the club centre-half was an area I wanted to look at. We’ve been able to bring in some real quality and experience in the form of Michael Hector and I have also been really pleased at the emergence of Lucas Ness, as well as what I have seen from the other young defenders. 

“Eoghan wants to be playing every week and the move provides him with a longer-term deal with great financial reward, as well as the regular football he craves. Given the lack of first team opportunities he was likely to get here, and the fee involved, it makes sense for us as a football club. He’s a really good character and a top professional and we wish him the best for the future.”

Ok unless our medical team can produce results bordering on witchcraft and get Hector fit enough to ever play DH has just plummeted in my estimation. That is just taking supporters as mug punters
    Your probably right but he could say no ! Would you say any of that in all honesty? I would have more respect for the club if they just said "unfortunately we have limited options and this is where we are at" rather than trying to mug us off and try to pretend we have signed something that we obviously havent. Yes he has experience and used to be decent but ffs 8 games in 2.5 years !! We might have well announce we have signed Pele !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When can we expect EOC's open letter to the fans about how much he enjoyed his time here do you think?
    Bob average CB so no disappointed from that perspective, trouble is Lavelle/Thomas are worse (if they stay); Innis not great and injury prone, Hector miles from playing and the rest are kids!
  • Options
    Just catching up on this. What the actual fuck?!
  • Options
    No he couldn't or he'd be out of a job. 

Think like you're in his position for once and not like he should be a pillar of truth and hope in the community. 

If you think even your favourite managers haven't done this, you're a deluded fool.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Your probably right but he could say no ! Would you say any of that in all honesty? I would have more respect for the club if they just said "unfortunately we have limited options and this is where we are at" rather than trying to mug us off and try to pretend we have signed something that we obviously havent. Yes he has experience and used to be decent but ffs 8 games in 2.5 years !! We might have well announce we have signed Pele !
    I would do pretty much anything for money tbh. Spouting some bollocks on deadline day to justify the latest shocking Charlton transfer decision doesn’t even come close to a moral red line for me!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Think like you're in his position for once and not like he should be a pillar of truth and hope in the community. 

If you think even your favourite managers haven't done this, you're a deluded fool.
    Be interesting though. Who would sack him?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Be interesting though. Who would sack him?
    Sandgaard is still the owner of the club, so likely him.
  • Options
    Maybe he wanted to go. Wrexham must be a far more enjoyable club to play for at this moment in time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Dazzler21 said:

He should keep his trap shut and not leave himself open to digs.
    The geezer has kept us up this season, he won't be here for the start of the 23/24 season.
  • Options
    This is the one I don't get. We missed him when he was out and he has looked decent since coming back from the bench.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    se9addick said:

Was anyone under the impression that Holden had come here to build something long term? 

Think the salt of the earth northerner thing has blinded a few. This was the plan from the start. Assuming we stay up, what happens in the summer will determine if it was a good idea. 
    I'm not sure I'm ready to accept that I've been blinded - not yet anyway. While most of us had never heard of him, if you looked closely there were comments from within the footie world that were very positive about him as a person.

The suggestion that "this" was all part of the plan, and he knew it when he came in...well, he's still quite young, building a career. If he has taken a half season gig with the objective of ensuring we don't get relegated while stripping costs out of the squad...how does that look on his cv, alongside "ability to motivate squad based on straightforward rational decisions" and  "ability to communicate with and enthuse fanbase."?  I think those claims are blown up if there is any suspicion that he was in cahoots with chancers like Methven from the start. He's not stupid and I don't think he would go down that path knowingly.

The second point I'd make is what "this" is. I don't know about anyone else but if they had not flogged off EOC, I'd be quite OK with this window, all things considered. We knew there would be no cash splashed. We also know its never a good idea to splash cash in this window if you are not doing much in the table. No, we didnt get a striker, but they are like gold dust in Jan. We didn't flog Leaburn. Lavelle could have gone, and that would have been OK. Maybe Thomas could have gone. But no we flogged EOC because a non-league club dared to wave some cash. Window ruined, defensive clown show from now until end of season. 

• Options
    Really don't understand letting him go. Inniss and Ness both can head the ball, but their actual footballing skills are very limited. EO'C was by far the most composed on the ball, and could actually pick a pass. Could have done with him on at the end against Bolton when we resorted to aimless lumps to the Bolton back line.

Amazing how this philosophy of TS' has changed so much from the Summer when we brought in our latest batch of signings. (Would love to see what he said when we signed EOC - "Ball playing Centre Half" etc

Now just waiting for another Inniss straight red/injury, and a stretch of 4 games with just young Nessy available at CB...
  • Options
    There was a thing on The Athletic the other day about how Les Reed has been working at Wrexham pretty much all of the time since the takeover but has kept a low profile. Put aside his time as manager with us, he was an excellent coach here and in many other places and knows what is going on. I think we are bigging up EOC a bit tbh, he'll probably be on more money there and feel part of an adventure. The owners there might be actors but they are obviously smart and both have their own businesses, not mugs. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    O'Connell improved massively over the weeks before his injury. He was undoubtably our best defender at that time. He also came back in looking a bit rusty but in 2-3 short appearances was looking sharper again. 
  • Options
    probably a situation where O'Connell was pestering about getting back in the first team, Wrexham though non league is this year's 'talk of the football world' and looks a sexy and successful place to play, Holden needs to balance the books and keep down wages and bring in some transfer cash, and lastly Ness and Inniss have become a settled pair .. as ever, no straightforward answer to 'WHY ?' .. nowadays players spend less and less time at clubs and no move is ever (to me at least) a total shock