Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eoghan O’Connell signs for Wrexham

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    League One is where they may start to struggle as Parky comes across with that as his ceiling level

However he still has two promotions from this level, and has got promoted from League Two - So provided Rob and Ryan are patient (which they have been), they've got the foundations in place with the coaching staff to go a long way.

Just hope none of our playing targets, are their targets in the summer... as we dont stand a chance of competing with them.
  • Options
    League One is where they may start to struggle as Parky comes across with that as his ceiling level

However he still has two promotions from this level, and has got promoted from League Two - So provided Rob and Ryan are patient (which they have been), they've got the foundations in place with the coaching staff to go a long way.

Just hope none of our playing targets, are their targets in the summer... as we dont stand a chance of competing with them.
    Not sure what his level is. He had a terrible squad at Charlton and did okay in L1 - Wrexham undoubtedly are well run.
  • Options

Not sure what his level is. He had a terrible squad at Charlton and did okay in L1 - Wrexham undoubtedly are well run.
    Got into the Play-Offs twice with Bradford as well @ League One

Probably hasnt helped that his two appearances in the Championship have resulted in shitshows with us and Bolton
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I live 10 miles from Wrexhams ground and drive past it when setting off on my journey to the valley. Their story so far is amazing and the way it has lifted the area is massive. The owners have done a fantastic job there, if only our American had an ounce of their intelligence I think our story could have been so different.
    It remains to be seen whether they have the funds to bankroll a climb up the leagues, time will tell
    What’s amazing about it? Multi millionaires buy club and it gets promoted (with a league one budget).
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Don’t think it matters too much what level they are at, if you’re currently playing for Wrexham then it’s likely to be 10x more memorable in the grand scheme of things than anyone playing for a random League 1/League 2 club. 

They are in the news headlines (not just the sporting ones) on a weekly basis at the moment. I can see why anyone would willingly leave League 1 to ‘drop down’ to their level.
    " Calling Lyle Taylor " ? 
  • Options

We have no idea what our budget will be.
  • Options
    Or who our targets are?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    iaitch said:
    Or who our targets are?
    I know four of them already 

Looks like the long awaited left back.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    iaitch said:
    Or who our targets are?
    I know four of them already 

Doesnt he play for us already?
  • Options
    Wrexham to get promoted again next season is buying money at this stage.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    AndyG said:
    I live 10 miles from Wrexhams ground and drive past it when setting off on my journey to the valley. Their story so far is amazing and the way it has lifted the area is massive. The owners have done a fantastic job there, if only our American had an ounce of their intelligence I think our story could have been so different.
    It remains to be seen whether they have the funds to bankroll a climb up the leagues, time will tell
    Have heard a few people suggest it will be a struggle for them when the bills get higher, but I don’t think they’re going to have an issue at all.

The amount of sponsorship and other outside investment they can attract as a result of their publicity will have them eclipsing most League 1 and League 2 clubs very comfortably.

Apparently there are Hollywood directors willing to fund their climb up the leagues so that they can make a movie franchise on it. Disney also host the documentary on them, so they’re going to want to see the same happen. 

I don’t like it, but I think Wrexham are going to absolutely steam through League 2 next season. 
    Surely Hollywood directors should be interested in us? Horror movie directors anyway...
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    What’s amazing about it? Multi millionaires buy club and it gets promoted (with a league one budget).
    Have done a great job there the way they have run the club and the people they have got in and the players they have recruited. Plenty of millionaire owners have been utterly f***ing useless.

A lot of fans are just jealous but can't admit it.

• Options
    Wrexham to get promoted again next season is buying money at this stage.
    Easier than this year, would be a big shock if they weren't top 3.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Have done a great job there the way they have run the club and the people they have got in and the players they have recruited. Plenty of millionaire owners have been utterly f***ing useless.

I give you the bloke at Chelsea throwing money at anything that moves.
  • Options
    I think its a great story.

I think for them the real test will be when they are in league 1 and aiming for the championship that's when the money starts getting stupid and its not so easy to just buy promotion (not suggest that is solely what they have done this year - but its certainly part of it). Whilst they are rich they aren't billionaire rich and if promotion fails to come for 2-3 years will they lose interest in losing serious money each year? if things go badly on the pitch how will they as owners act? its very easy to be present and seen to be all pally with the players and mingle with the fans when everything goes well but its a very difficult balance to strike when things start going badly. You almost set yourself up for failure.

Then again their sponsorship money (plus Disney documentary money) will be significantly higher than every league 1 club. So maybe it wont be an issue for them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty sure I read that each episode of 'Welcome to Wrexham' generates approx £400k profit for the club and, while the owners have put money in this year, they've managed to largely fund the club through that and the TikTok sponsorship..
  • Options
    AndyG said:

I don't know how I'd feel about all this if it happened to Charlton. On the one hand I like both Reynolds and McElhenney; they're interesting people who have thrown themselves fully into this instead of just half-arsing it. They've taken the time to get to know the community, they've acknowledged that they don't fully understand the game on the level of most and never will so they've taken advice and stowed their egos with a lot of decisions and they've invested heavily. There's no denying though that they've become the story and a certain aspect of the club has died, or at least it's been buried.
    Wrexham are very much now that team that those famous actors own. They've got their own TV series, they're sponsored by TikTok, people know them as this club that a couple of famous millionaires are trying to conquer football with, not so much the 159 year old club that has its own story already. If you Google Wrexham everything about their promotion is talked about in the context of Hollywood stars taking them back up. Wrexham will never just be Wrexham as long as those two are running it because the media circus will funnel the coverage to be around them instead of the club. It's great to watch your team win, to get promoted and to dream of the club growing every year but I think I would mourn the reframing of the entire club in the image of some rich Hollywood actors. I guess we'll never know.
    I'm sick of Charlton having really crap owners who don't give a f*** about the club.
    The two Wrexham owners have got the club back on its feet and attracted investment that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    AndyG said:

I don't know how I'd feel about all this if it happened to Charlton. On the one hand I like both Reynolds and McElhenney; they're interesting people who have thrown themselves fully into this instead of just half-arsing it. They've taken the time to get to know the community, they've acknowledged that they don't fully understand the game on the level of most and never will so they've taken advice and stowed their egos with a lot of decisions and they've invested heavily. There's no denying though that they've become the story and a certain aspect of the club has died, or at least it's been buried.
    Wrexham are very much now that team that those famous actors own. They've got their own TV series, they're sponsored by TikTok, people know them as this club that a couple of famous millionaires are trying to conquer football with, not so much the 159 year old club that has its own story already. If you Google Wrexham everything about their promotion is talked about in the context of Hollywood stars taking them back up. Wrexham will never just be Wrexham as long as those two are running it because the media circus will funnel the coverage to be around them instead of the club. It's great to watch your team win, to get promoted and to dream of the club growing every year but I think I would mourn the reframing of the entire club in the image of some rich Hollywood actors. I guess we'll never know.
    I guess if it happened to us it would feel a bit plasticky, and I would resent all the new “fans” as Johnny Come Latelys. But I would probably feel that way if we ever got back to the Prem and suddenly had 27,000 attendances again.
    Not much room for plastic fans given Wrexham's capacity.
  • Options
    As well as building a new stand they will redevelop another of the stands so look in it for a while.
  • Options
    Really pleased for Wrexham and their fans. What I can't understand is why everyone else gives a shit about them
  • Options
    They've been out the league for 15 years and have had plenty of business men looking to get the club and shut it down and then develop the ground.

Got a couple of mates from Wrexham so have heard all the troubles they've had on the way. Year or so back mates were looking forward to going to grounds in National League North as they were falling fast.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Leuth said:
    I'd much rather be taken over by two Hollywood actors who take the trouble to get involved and understand the area and the fans than some overwealthy corporate wonk who cares about nothing except their kingdom, such as most of our fans appear to be baying for 
    Reynolds is pretty astute in business terms - he's had/has other companies that have been very successful. 

I think that focus on the amounts of money is to a certain extent missing the point. Yes you have to spend money but what they've done well at Wrexham is created a good image and feeling at club (internally as well as in the media) and that's been missing from Charlton for years.
    When they were looking around for a club to buy I wonder if Charlton were ever on their radar?