Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eoghan O’Connell signs for Wrexham

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    I don't think the Wrexham story will have the fairytale ending that Hollywood expects

the Wrexham model has been built on buying average at best league 1 players.

lee
    o connell
    mullin
    the Wimbledon guy
    the guy from Cheltenham 

A team built around those players in league 1 isn't good in my view. Apart from lee, who has played for a top half league 1 team? For Wrexham to challenge at league 1 level, they will need to pay championship wages. If they do have to improve their squad in league 1, how do they move on the players not good enough for league 1 but are on good league 1 money.

if Wrexham peak at league 1 and finish say 16th, will the Netflix viewers get bored? Hollywood has a short life cycle and I can't see Netflix being interested in renewing for another season once on the pitch progress stalls.

the owners have less wealth than sandgaard, not sure how they can finance it much further especially if Hollywood moves on to the next good story 
  • Options
    I don't think the Wrexham story will have the fairytale ending that Hollywood expects

the Wrexham model has been built on buying average at best league 1 players.

lee
    o connell
    mullin
    the Wimbledon guy
    the guy from Cheltenham 

A team built around those players in league 1 isn't good in my view. Apart from lee, who has played for a top half league 1 team? For Wrexham to challenge at league 1 level, they will need to pay championship wages. If they do have to improve their squad in league 1, how do they move on the players not good enough for league 1 but are on good league 1 money.

if Wrexham peak at league 1 and finish say 16th, will the Netflix viewers get bored? Hollywood has a short life cycle and I can't see Netflix being interested in renewing for another season once on the pitch progress stalls.

the owners have less wealth than sandgaard, not sure how they can finance it much further especially if Hollywood moves on to the next good story 
    I'm guessing it won't be that difficult for them to get investment but I agree, the amount of money to get up the leagues rises exponentially 
  • Options
    Did Sandgaard have more wealth ? Perhaps on paper taking into consideration his shares and property etc but disposable income in the way an actor has ? Now I’ve no idea if RR has much or any of his wealth tied up in investments other than Wrexham but I’d imagine that he and his partner have a fair amount more than TS that they can afford to spunk on their jollies. Maybe.
  • Options
    Did Sandgaard have more wealth ? Perhaps on paper taking into consideration his shares and property etc but disposable income in the way an actor has ? Now I’ve no idea if RR has much or any of his wealth tied up in investments other than Wrexham but I’d imagine that he and his partner have a fair amount more than TS that they can afford to spunk on their jollies. Maybe.
    Given RR's other business projects I'd say he's probably on a similar level of wealth to Sandgaard. McElheney will have substantially less. The upside for them though is that they can attract big name sponsors (TikTok, United airlines etc.) and they seem to understand that their money will only take them so far. I also think most longstanding Wrexham fans would be fairly happy with them being a L1 team as that's probably around about their natural level if they had stable investment. I also think it will be incredibly easy for them to bring in other investors if they wanted to. 
  • Options
    Because of the hype the show has got with the Yanks, I imagine they'll bring a serious investor in the near future who will come in and bankroll them up the leagues. 
  • Options
    Google was my source. Rr has a couple of hundred mil in the bank, the other guy has £40m. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    SamB09 said:
    League One is where they may start to struggle as Parky comes across with that as his ceiling level

However he still has two promotions from this level, and has got promoted from League Two - So provided Rob and Ryan are patient (which they have been), they've got the foundations in place with the coaching staff to go a long way.

Just hope none of our playing targets, are their targets in the summer... as we dont stand a chance of competing with them.
    What do you mean his ceiling level? He might do  well with a good squad in championship/ prem. 
    I always thought Parkinson was with us at the wrong time . Always seemed a good coach to me with really limited resources.  
    Yeah he fucking was. Seemed a fucking good coach with limited fucking resources.
  • Options
    Parkinson gave us Northwich Victoria, none of his positive personal qualities can compensate for that.
  • Options
    This might not be a very reliable source but I'd be surprised if Disney hadn't financed most or all of the Wrexham spending so far: 
    https://fandomwire.com/ryan-reynolds-business-genius-bought-wrexham-afc-for-2-5m-has-already-earned-9-5-million-from-documentary-series-alone/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Parkinson gave us Northwich Victoria, none of his positive personal qualities can compensate for that.
    Peak Plum comment.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised to see additional investors join Rob and Ryan fairly soon if they're serious about being a force in League 1. Think it's still a pretty easy sell to American investors both sports and celebrity based. 

I do however agree with the points above about their playing squad perhaps needing a fair chunk of investment for L1. The likes of Lee,Mullin,EO'C, Ollie Palmer, Andy Cannon and James McLean are decent ish for League 1 but not enough to compete in the top half of this division. 
  • Options
    Did the feel good Wrexham story help chief salesman Methven blag the football story to our yank investors owners who will haemorrhage good money on us 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Seems to be in thing in sports at the moment for sportspeople to be taking minority ownership stakes in other sports - Patrick Mahomes, Anthony Joshua and Rory McIlroy have taken stakes in Alpine F1 Team (ironically joining a group with Rob and Ryan) , JJ Watt seems to be promoting Burnley quite a lot on social media now he's got a stake there . Jordan Speith and Justin Thomas are minority owners at Leeds as part of the 49ers takeover. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Seems to be in thing in sports at the moment for sportspeople to be taking minority ownership stakes in other sports - Patrick Mahomes, Anthony Joshua and Rory McIlroy have taken stakes in Alpine F1 Team (ironically joining a group with Rob and Ryan) , JJ Watt seems to be promoting Burnley quite a lot on social media now he's got a stake there . Jordan Speith and Justin Thomas are minority owners at Leeds as part of the 49ers takeover. 
    I wonder how long the fashion will last, when they realise they're losing lots of money, and not getting any success in return.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I wonder how long the fashion will last, when they realise they're losing lots of money, and not getting any success in return.
    I think a lot of those small stakes that famous people have are basically gifted in exchange for publicity etc, so their financial commitments will be very low.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I think a lot of those small stakes that famous people have are basically gifted in exchange for publicity etc, so their financial commitments will be very low.

Yeah i would be surprised if some of them are even 5% , it will be all about publicity. Forgot of course Tom Brady at Birmingham. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    SamB09 said:
    League One is where they may start to struggle as Parky comes across with that as his ceiling level

However he still has two promotions from this level, and has got promoted from League Two - So provided Rob and Ryan are patient (which they have been), they've got the foundations in place with the coaching staff to go a long way.

Just hope none of our playing targets, are their targets in the summer... as we dont stand a chance of competing with them.
    What do you mean his ceiling level? He might do  well with a good squad in championship/ prem. 
    I always thought Parkinson was with us at the wrong time . Always seemed a good coach to me with really limited resources.  
    Yeah he fucking was. Seemed a fucking good coach with limited fucking resources.
    I was surprised when I saw "Parky in action" at Wrexham.
    I always had him down as a gentle thoughtful type.
    i was taken aback when his pep talk included fuck every other word like some brain dead moron.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I'm team Plum on this, I think he was and remains a very limited coach. He's certainly better than when we had him 15 years ago, but his teams were awful to watch regardless of the resources he did (or didn't) have. 
  • Options
    didn't he pay for a loan player out of his own money during his time with us or is that an urban myth?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    didn't he pay for a loan player out of his own money during his time with us or is that an urban myth?

Gary Borrowdale if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Money very well spent.

Though in all seriousness fair play to him for doing it. 
  • Options

God that's one for the "forgot he played for us" thread if ever I saw it
  • Options
    Should never have been made permanent following his caretaker performance. 

Nice guy though 
  • Options
    i don't think its a coincidence or accident that he keeps coming back to us looking for players he obviously follows us more than most 
  • Options

I've heard this before but is it true? Is it even allowed? How would it work in practicality? Would he ask for the players bank details and set up a payment from his account?

Nice bloke, poor manager, should never have got the job permanently 
  • Options

I've heard this before but is it true? Is it even allowed? How would it work in practicality? Would he ask for the players bank details and set up a payment from his account?

i think the rules in the EFL have probably changed since it happened. I think it did happen on this occasion though.
  • Options

I'm not sure that's fair.

Apart from his overall record (933 games and counting) while it was bizarre he got the Charlton job, he did a pretty good job in L1. Playoffs the 1st season, and did a better job with a poor squad the following season than Chris Powell did (when Powell also had BWP up front).
  • Options
    Did a worse job than Pardew in our most pathetic of relegation seasons and he had the added benefit of knowing the players he was dealing with and not coming in cold .

chose Elliot over Randolph in goal and was lucky that Elliot got injured against the Gills, I think, which gave Randy back the shirt and turned our form around for the run in .

think he helped with Borrowdale but got paid back .

• Options

Ah, the old days when we struggled to get a left back.