Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eoghan O’Connell signs for Wrexham

Comments

• Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Not everything is going well in Wrexham, for their game saturday it was announced that all tickets had been sold for UK based fans. However for international fans tickets were still available ........ wtf ? The locals were not happy.
    For such a small stadium, you’ve got to look after the locals or the kids and future supporters won’t get involved.
    Their owners are putting the cart before the horse.
    Why when you apparently have millions of fans in, checks notes, Brazil

• Options
    Not everything is going well in Wrexham, for their game saturday it was announced that all tickets had been sold for UK based fans. However for international fans tickets were still available ........ wtf ? The locals were not happy.
    Ridiculous 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Personally, I thought O’Connell epitomized how poor our window was last summer, and fitted the bill of a player we then tried to convince ourselves was okay, because he was described as ‘ball playing’ and Rochdale’s captain.  

He had a run of okay games (and I do mean okay, nothing more) prior to getting injured, around that time we beat Portsmouth at home 3-0, but apart from that, he looks every part a league 2 player at best.  

Yet when we sold him some people wet themselves and accused Methven of asset stripping, cost cutting and everything else they could think of.  
  • Options
    At the time there I had concerns over Hector's match fitness, having not played all season, but on paper he looked a decent step up over O'Connell when you looked at their respective playing histories, and it's proven to be the case.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CafcSCP said:
    For such a small stadium, you’ve got to look after the locals or the kids and future supporters won’t get involved.

Wigan Slappy's all round when they thump them too! 
    The Wigan Kebab Pie Barm With Stodge and Northerness
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The thing about O'Connell is, he was probably the perfect CB to play Garner's football because he was so comfortable in possession and good with his distribution. We'll never know how much he could have been a meaningful part of that system because Ben never got the chance nor means to properly build his team. 
  • Options
    I thought O'Connell was good for us. Took a bit of time to find his rhythm but then looked very comfortable, he just got injured very soon after he'd hit that settled form. Picking him up on a free and selling him for a fee within 6 months to replace him with Hector was great business no matter how you look at it though. This Wrexham daftness can be taken advantage of if one of your players comes up on their radar

I think someone needs to tweet Reynolds about one of League ones most exciting wingers Charlie Kirk 

Actually that would suit all, flashy signing for them, off our hands and not far from home for him!
    They don’t seem to be spending any money on players this summer despite all the hype .  They seem to be looking at frees.  I’m guessing Charlton would want to recoup some money for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wrexham still scored three goals, so their defensive fragility was more of a problem than their attack.

I quite like them - probably because I like Reynolds. 
  • Options
    Apparently they paid quite a significant fee for James McLean, I just think they've been a bit more selective with signings because they've got a decent basis for that League. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    cabbles said:
    Personally, I thought O’Connell epitomized how poor our window was last summer, and fitted the bill of a player we then tried to convince ourselves was okay, because he was described as ‘ball playing’ and Rochdale’s captain.  

He had a run of okay games (and I do mean okay, nothing more) prior to getting injured, around that time we beat Portsmouth at home 3-0, but apart from that, he looks every part a league 2 player at best.  

Think that belies a lot of the feeling around the signing at the time. 

He was exactly the type of player our new, exciting young manager wanted and he was dominating the passing statistics among centre backs in that division.

It didn’t work out and it was reasonable business to get a fee for him but I would’ve been equally happy to see him stay at the club and make a go of it in his second season.

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Apparently they paid quite a significant fee for James McLean, I just think they've been a bit more selective with signings because they've got a decent basis for that League. 
    34 year old winger whose best years are well behind him playing for cash strapped Wigan.
    Possibly going for a decent wage but doubt there was much of a fee involved . 40 year old Ben Foster looked terrible against Dons.

Picking up old players who were once good doesn’t necessarily mean they will do a  good job dropping divisions.
    Ian Rush at Wrexham springs to mind. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CafcSCP said:

ESPN have the Sky contract here.

Seen loads of Wrexham tops at games........
  • Options
    He was average at LCB. In fact he was the cause of many goals conceded by being too slow and ponderous in that position. Thomas is actually an upgrade on him, however unfashionable that may seem!
  • Options
    He was god awful. Said so at the time and haven’t changed my opinion.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    34 year old winger whose best years are well behind him playing for cash strapped Wigan.
    Possibly going for a decent wage but doubt there was much of a fee involved . 40 year old Ben Foster looked terrible against Dons.

Picking up old players who were once good doesn’t necessarily mean they will do a  good job dropping divisions.
    Ian Rush at Wrexham springs to mind. 
    I think it was because they offered him a 2 year contract, and Wigan only offered 1.
  • Options
    9,736 there last night for a live Tv game against Wigan is very impressive

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    fadgadget said:
    I see they have some charlatan consultant spinning them fairy tales about how they’ll get it all back once they reach the giddy heights of League One. And who is this charlatan? Why, none other than Shaun Harvey, the late but not lamented CEO of the EFL. 
  • Options
    Living in North Wales asI do it has been interesting watching the Wrexham project. I said to a few friends who are Wrexham fans to wait and see how their owners react when they are spunking millions as they climb the leagues. If your well off you can buy promotion from the national league and league 2, it’s starts getting serious beyond that and I’m not sure they want to spunk that much
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    I see they have some charlatan consultant spinning them fairy tales about how they’ll get it all back once they reach the giddy heights of League One. And who is this charlatan? Why, none other than Shaun Harvey, the late but not lamented CEO of the EFL. 
    They are still a bit of an outlier in that the exposure they get does change the income.

But then how much will that income be higher in L1 than L2, for example?  Presumably the TV show would make about the same, the sponsors will pay about the same etc, they're getting eyes on them either way.
  • Options
    They joke about how it makes them feel sick etc but in reality they have more than enough to cover the costs. RR has invested recently in Alpine F1, and that's serious
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    Surely Wrexham are not a typical National League/League Two club because of the profile of the owners and the "Welcome to Wrexham" documentary. They are in a position to generate a far greater income than any other club at the same level.
    I cannot see how they (the owners) are losing that amount of money (although the club may be) when those losses can be offset by the income from the show (I don't know where that income is going, club or them, but either way it mitigates their possible losses).
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Living in North Wales asI do it has been interesting watching the Wrexham project. I said to a few friends who are Wrexham fans to wait and see how their owners react when they are spunking millions as they climb the leagues. If your well off you can buy promotion from the national league and league 2, it’s starts getting serious beyond that and I’m not sure they want to spunk that much

I suspect if they made it to the Championship they may sell part to fund a further push if they needed to do so and there would likely be any number of Yanks queuing to jump in with them.  Exiting below the PL would be more tricky as any sensible owner would know that without the two of them they go back to being ordinary Wrexham and a huge hole appears in the income line.  Their "fans" in the USA won't follow when the two stars aren't around.
  • Options
    League One is where they may start to struggle as Parky comes across with that as his ceiling level

However he still has two promotions from this level, and has got promoted from League Two - So provided Rob and Ryan are patient (which they have been), they've got the foundations in place with the coaching staff to go a long way.

Just hope none of our playing targets, are their targets in the summer... as we dont stand a chance of competing with them.
    What do you mean his ceiling level? He might do  well with a good squad in championship/ prem. 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    League One is where they may start to struggle as Parky comes across with that as his ceiling level

However he still has two promotions from this level, and has got promoted from League Two - So provided Rob and Ryan are patient (which they have been), they've got the foundations in place with the coaching staff to go a long way.

Just hope none of our playing targets, are their targets in the summer... as we dont stand a chance of competing with them.
    What do you mean his ceiling level? He might do  well with a good squad in championship/ prem. 
    I always thought Parkinson was with us at the wrong time . Always seemed a good coach to me with really limited resources.  
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

Each time he's been in the Championship he's failed.

Whether that was with Hull | Charlton | Bolton - Two of those clubs were a bit of a mess at the time though, so harsh to beat him with that stick.

If he had the funds similar to Pep, maybe he'd do better at that level

But the year after he left Hull, they got promoted to the Premier League...