Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Residents Parking Expansion for SE7 - UPDATE PAGE 3

Comments

• My understanding from a Freedom of Information request was that there were 20 votes in support and 290 against. Democracy in action in RBG. By the way, work on the new bays started yesterday so very clear the Council couldn't care any less what residents think. 'Some parking provisions for non-permit holders' means a few meters on street corners 😂🤣.
    If the numbers on for and against are true, then I don't see how the club can sit by and watch
  • I've now realised that as my missus is a community midwife in the Greenwich borough, she has a parking permit to park wherever - so I'll actually be able to park closer to the ground that I currently can (and with less traffic!)

so crack on with it...........only joking, basically it's a bit of a disaster for the club I think if it goes through and I'm hoping the council can/will see sense on a matchday (not holding out much hope though)
  • Its just another labour run borough implementing their car friendly policies, just like many of the others in London.
    Yup. 

Sadly, all the petitions and opposition will get you nowhere here. RBGs car hating Labour politicians have already decided to make driving in the Borough impossible and nothing you say or do will change their mind.

Where's the Valley Party when you need it ! 
  • Will Blue Badge holders be able to park in the restricted areas?
  • Pico said:
    These concerns were highlighted in a recent consultation in which residents of the area surrounding the stadium highlighted their concerns about high traffic levels on residential roads and being unable to park near their homes. In highlighting their concerns, residents have asked the Council to consider introducing match day parking controls.

This doesn't sit with the fact that local residents who responded to the consultation were 15 to 1 against the controls. I skimmed through the responses and can only recall a very few who mentioned match days. 

I have been promised a conversation with my local ward counsellor (Charlton) tomorrow. 

CAST sent our survey and selection of the comments to the cabinet member for environment, climate change and transport last week as she is the person who makes the final decision on the match day controls. 

Yes, the evidence presented doesn't really bear out the council's assertion. I've got no real evidence for this, but there's a fairly noisy residents' group in the streets near the station which seems to have the ear of the council and I suspect this may be down to them, but this is a hunch more than anything else.

If I lived in the streets to the east of The Valley I probably would find matchday parking a pain - and there is, more broadly speaking, a parking/traffic problem caused by local residents, school parents and the presence of the retail parks - but the current plans are both over-the-top and inconsistent. 

One thing I've noticed in social media responses is that some residents (probably those who drive) think public transport connections are brilliant and haven't really thought through (or, as is the way on social media, don't want to think through) quite what a public transport journey from, say, Meopham would involve. 
  • Thats just the thing, public transport, if you live in Charlton and the surrounding areas, is excellent. Less so from the myriad of places we all are coming in from on a matchday. Not really a concern to me if I am not working Saturday morning, have nothing to do Saturday evening. I'm on the train, easy. Midweek, not an option now.

I'd advise anyone who hasn't and is going to be up the creek if this inevitably gets green lit even though it is insane to write polite but firm and clear letters, emails to the local councillors. 

No, unless they are paid parking spaces: https://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/200262/parking_for_disabled_and_older_people/1706/where_you_can_park_with_a_blue_badge
  • Carter said:
    Thats just the thing, public transport, if you live in Charlton and the surrounding areas, is excellent. Less so from the myriad of places we all are coming in from on a matchday. Not really a concern to me if I am not working Saturday morning, have nothing to do Saturday evening. I'm on the train, easy. Midweek, not an option now.

I'd advise anyone who hasn't and is going to be up the creek if this inevitably gets green lit even though it is insane to write polite but firm and clear letters, emails to the local councillors. 

Yep. Even though the trains are much worse than they used to be, I can bumble out of here and get to a lot of places on both sides of the Thames without too much effort. If you're going west or north, it's alright.

But the links out towards most of Kent and even outlying bits of SE London are crap and fiddly - there's a reason I've never made it to a Charlton women's match at VCD on a Sunday, and that's because getting to the back end of Crayford is a bit of a mission. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2023
    Will Blue Badge holders be able to park in the restricted areas?
    No, unless they are paid parking spaces: https://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/200262/parking_for_disabled_and_older_people/1706/where_you_can_park_with_a_blue_badge
    Thanks for the link InspectorSands...... I feared that was the position as on the link by RBG it does state " Where parking is only for certain people- like the people who live and work there".

I did phone, and emailed RBG, but not yet a reply as  to where the disabled bays are?.

So I shall be phoning the mobility team to ask where are the bays?, on 0208921 2387.Email: mobility-duty@royal greenwich.gov.uk.

Failing that an RBG car park, then an Uber I guess.
    Luckily, I have 2 sons who can assist me. 

• My understanding from a Freedom of Information request was that there were 20 votes in support and 290 against. Democracy in action in RBG. By the way, work on the new bays started yesterday so very clear the Council couldn't care any less what residents think. 'Some parking provisions for non-permit holders' means a few meters on street corners 😂🤣.
    For the mini leisure centre planning application in Swanley there were over 600 comments received by SDC, of which around 10 were in favour and some of those were ‘purchased’ by the council.
  • Might be worth someone asking Greenwich to disclose their Equalities Impact Assessment for this scheme under Freedom of Information legislation. They are likely required to consider the impact on people with disabilities and the elderly, and I’d wager they haven’t, or at least not to a standard that would satisfy a judge. We could then consider a judicial review.
    Pico/Weegie can the CAST do this as it would carry more weight than an individual?
  • edited November 2023
    Might be worth someone asking Greenwich to disclose their Equalities Impact Assessment for this scheme under Freedom of Information legislation. They are likely required to consider the impact on people with disabilities and the elderly, and I’d wager they haven’t, or at least not to a standard that would satisfy a judge. We could then consider a judicial review.
    Pico/Weegie can the CAST do this as it would carry more weight than an individual?

I actually think it would carry more weight coming from a RBG resident who is elderly and / or has a disability, who currently attends matches in a car because of this, and who would be affected, rather than from a representative group who would be perceived as having a vested interest. Of course, CAST would be aware of the request and would have the weight to follow up if the affected resident was not responded to appropriately.
  • CADSA perhaps?
    Parking for 3 hours on single and double yellow lines is allowed included on that page.
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:
    Will Blue Badge holders be able to park in the restricted areas?
    Parking for 3 hours on single and double yellow lines is allowed included on that page.
    They can't stop you parking on yellow lines with a blue badge.
  • If you think of it, not being able to park somewhere for a 12 hour period is madness. Might as well just put double yellows everywhere and be done with it. 
  • castrust said:
    An update on CAST's response to the proposals:

https://www.castrust.org/2023/11/parking-update/
    It can’t hurt but no doubt the council will wriggle out of a satisfactory explanation. 

As to the answers from the club I assume the answers are ‘no’ and ‘none’. ☹️

• The signage is not clear as just says match day and does not make it clear that it refers to cafc. Could be any sporting event having a match day!
  • If you think of it, not being able to park somewhere for a 12 hour period is madness. Might as well just put double yellows everywhere and be done with it. 
    Without this sort of restriction where I live roads would become impassable during weekdays because cars parked on both sides of the road leave no room for passing. If you encounter a lorry or ambulance coming the other way you could end up backing a hundred yards up a hill to find the first "gap" in the parked cars.

But, in the evening and on weekends you can more or less park where you like. There is plenty of room so the congestion does not happen. There is usually parking within a hundred yards of the station.

Without a residents scheme there would be many people who could not park within half a mile of their home between 9 and 5 on weekdays unless they deliberately keep their car parked outside their house between 7am and 10am on weekdays. Not much fun if you have a morning hospital appointment!

I don't know what it is like around Charlton on match days but I think it would be worthwhile finding out what the actual problem is (if indeed there is one!) rather than assuming it is just madness or an attempt by the council to make money.
  • I've said before that this scheme will likely adversely impact on Charltons viability to complete at a high level. 

It would make sense for any ambitious owner of the club to decant to the edge of the m25 on a greenfield site with shit loads of parking and f all trains. Another example of small mindedness not looking at the bigger environmental picture. Just like us outsourcing our manufacturing to China, at the same time claiming that we're reducing our carbon footprint when China increases it!

I don't know what it is like around Charlton on match days but I think it would be worthwhile finding out what the actual problem is (if indeed there is one!) rather than assuming it is just madness or an attempt by the council to make money.
    Well, if you don't know what its like on match days you can't really comment...can you. 

I've been driving & parking around the Valley for 30 years, so I think I have a bit of knowledge on the subject. 

I have no problem with parking restrictions & resident only bays. What I have s problem with is just a complete ban on parking around the ground for a 12 hour stretch on a matchday. Seems like overkill to me & all it will do is 1) move the problem further out towards the Lido, where it is already jam  packed on a Saturday and 2) people will stop coming altogether as getting to the ground by car is their only realistic option. 
  • However did anyone see the story about how Greenwich borough let a load of parking fines go when people contested them? Essentially when you contest it the council has a certain amount of time to then respond and they failed to do so ON EVERY OCCASION because they had no staff manned on the task.

I only presume they've actually hired someone to look into parking in the area and this new scheme is to help pay their wage