Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2024

seeing as @PeanutsMolloy obviously cant be bothered to post....

Field reduced to 34 for next year - does this mean a tweak to the model ?

Grand National: Maximum number of runners cut to 34 as part of Aintree safety move - BBC Sport

Comments

• Options
    Peanuts: presumably, the reduced number of entrants will impact on the high value prices available and, therefore, the potential big money winners your model identifies so impressively?
  • Options
    Sorry Chaps, I didn't realise @MrOneLung had started the GN thread.
    I'll repeat my answer to @meldrew66 and stick to this thread now.

meldrew66 said:
    Peanuts: presumably, the reduced number of entrants will impact on the high value prices available and, therefore, the potential big money winners your model identifies so impressively?

Thanks for the question @meldrew66 and sorry to be slow replying. Just returned from a week up North.

Obviously, chopping 6 lower-rated runners off the field (runners that are likely to include some out and out stayers) will make for fewer opportunities at wild prices but a 34-runner handicap over (thankfully) a largely-unaltered course should still make for some interesting values.

The big question for me is whether it will prompt a further deterioration of each way terms from bookies.
    Over the years, we've seen place fractions go from generally 1/4 to 1/5 and having to wait longer to see extra places and NRNB offered.
    As an each way punter, wanting to take early prices, that's a big issue as I'm going to be even less inclined to bet ante-post on 140~144 rated horses when the cut is going to come at #34. I know if they declare I get my money back but many Irish runners scratch in preference for the Irish GN if it looks like they won't make the cut at Aintree.

@bobmunro may or may not agree but, given the national participation in the betting on the race, it seems to me bookies have gone from viewing the National as a bit of a loss leader for capturing new accounts to THE race they can really milk. Affordability nonsense has encouraged that, I guess.

I don't begrudge them pursuing maximum profit (they're not charities but are, these days, vital sponsors of the sport) but it would be a shame (and unjustified IMHO) if a 34-runner field meant a less punter-friendly market. 

Out of curiosity, I've taken a look back historically at how my model's picks (since its first iteration in 2006) would have been affected if #35~40 hadn't run. 

My model's successful 66/1+ picks (2009 winner Mon Mome, 2016 3rd Vics Canvas and 2022 3rd Delta Work) would all have made the cut but it would have lost the following returns:

Win:
    2021 Minella Times (#35) backed at 40/1 (SP 11/1)

Places:
    2007 2nd McKelvey (#35) backed at 20/1 (SP 12/1)
    2010 5th Hello Bud (#38) 50/1 (SP 20/1)
    2018 5th Milansbar (#37) 50/1 (SP 25/1)

On the flip side, from these or others’ elimination, the model's picks would have gained 6th place in 2014 (Monbeg Dude) and in 2021 (Discorama).

If I ignore my personal betting debacle in both 2018 and 2019 in deciding to give short-priced Tiger Roll the swerve when the model picked him both times, the model has been profitable in 14 of the 17 GNs since 2006 (7 winners & 6 runners-up, 2 by <1 length). By the way, of those 3 losing years, one (2012) was courtesy of Sunnyhillboy losing by a Nose, another (2014) by a data-input fuck up by me on Pineau De Re and the last (2023) when its top 3 picks (Delta Work, Mr Incredible and The Big Breakaway) all met with misfortune.

Of course, losing any of those 4 returns from #35~40 would have hurt but although Minella Times’ absence would have made 2021 loss-making, the Dude placing would have just rescued 2014. 2010 was a bumper year anyway courtesy of Don't Push It's win (backed at 40/1) and, even if I didn't back Tiger Roll, the model did and would have withstood losing Milansbar in 2018).

So the net result for the Model would have been neutral in terms of profitable years but 1 less winner, 1 less place and slightly smaller aggregate profit. 

How it actually pans out for the model in future? We’ll see.

But there’s a much more serious loss for the sport itself from cutting the field to 34.
    I’ll post my views about this separately, later.

• Options
    edited October 2023

As observed/recalled by Chris Cook, writing in the RP:

"The BHA's review of the Grand National from 2011 ....... considered the question of field size. This was their conclusion: 

"The Review Group found no recurring trend whatsoever of horses systematically failing to get a clear sight of the fences as they prepared to jump them.  Virtually all the fallers reviewed during that period [2000 to 2011] had a clear run to the fence where they fell or unseated their jockey.

"Furthermore, the Review Group considered research carried out through its Inspectorate team and established that the average available 'width of fence per horse' on the Grand National course was comparable to the averages for all licensed Jumps courses, including the width of fence per horse at other very high-profile jumps fixtures." 

It's a pleasingly detailed rebuttal of the case for reducing the field size and was part of a 55-page report which, whether you agreed with it or not, was clearly a substantial and serious piece of work. 

On this occasion, we're being asked to accept the opposite point of view on the basis of a Jockey Club press release.

Speed has always been the problem. 34 runners won't change that.

• Options

"The BHA's review of the Grand National from 2011 ....... considered the question of field size. This was their conclusion: 

"The Review Group found no recurring trend whatsoever of horses systematically failing to get a clear sight of the fences as they prepared to jump them.  Virtually all the fallers reviewed during that period [2000 to 2011] had a clear run to the fence where they fell or unseated their jockey.

"Furthermore, the Review Group considered research carried out through its Inspectorate team and established that the average available 'width of fence per horse' on the Grand National course was comparable to the averages for all licensed Jumps courses, including the width of fence per horse at other very high-profile jumps fixtures." 

It's a pleasingly detailed rebuttal of the case for reducing the field size and was part of a 55-page report which, whether you agreed with it or not, was clearly a substantial and serious piece of work. 

On this occasion, we're being asked to accept the opposite point of view on the basis of a Jockey Club press release.

I believe it's the JC/BHA saying to the naysayers - "Look, we're doing something". It matters not that it doesn't address any actual issues - something/anything will do.
  • Options

This is what those that constantly advocate changes to the race don't appear to understand. Reducing the height of the fences has allowed the horses to go faster, without the respect for the fences that jockeys would have previously held.
    Reducing the size of the field will also allow horses to go faster.
    The only positive changes proposed are the going to be no firmer than "good to soft" and the reduction of the distance to the first fence.
    I don't think that those in charge of British horseracing understand the proverb " give them an inch and they'll take a mile".
  • Options
    edited October 2023

This is what those that constantly advocate changes to the race don't appear to understand. Reducing the height of the fences has allowed the horses to go faster, without the respect for the fences that jockeys would have previously held.
    The only positive changes proposed are the going to be no firmer than "good to soft" and the reduction of the distance to the first fence.
    I don't think that those in charge of British horseracing understand the proverb " give them an inch and they'll take a mile".
    No firmer than 'Good to Soft' is sensible but reducing the run to the first has potential for unintended consequences. The current distance gives all the horses a chance to settle and to get up to racing speed, something they need to have the momentum to jump the fence. It also allows for depth to be established in the field thereby giving more space in front of each horse and fewer horses jumping the fence simultaneously. If there's any sense in my argument (there isn't always!) then based on that the distance to the first should be increased rather than reduced.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

No firmer than 'Good to Soft' is sensible but reducing the run to the first has potential for unintended consequences. The current distance gives all the horses a chance to settle and to get up to racing speed, something they need to have the momentum to jump the fence. It also allows for depth to be established in the field thereby giving more space in front of each horse and fewer horses jumping the fence simultaneously. If there's any sense in my argument (there isn't always!) then based on that the distance to the first should be increased rather than reduced.
    There could be an argument either way. I still think that they will have sufficient distance to get up to racing speed.
    God knows what changes they'll make next if there are any fallers at the first. Perhaps they should turn the race into a time-trial and send horses out at one minute intervals and obviously, remove all the obstacles!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I think the unspoken issue is what does "Good to Soft" mean at Aintree?
    "Standard time" for the race is 9m 4s.
    IMHO you should not be comfortably or regularly beating standard time on proper Good to Soft, even in the most competitive of races.
    We've had 8 GNs since 2012 run on officially (principally) Good-to-Soft.
    4 of them have beaten Standard, 2 of them by more than 3 secs and Many Clouds win in 2015 with 11.09 on his back (on Good-to-Soft [Good places]) was 7.2 secs (about 1/2 furlong) fast of Standard. 
    That's Good ground (at a minimum) in my book and, in this era of extreme safety-consciousness, is asking for trouble.
  • Options
    Always one of the better threads on this forum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Becher Chase (2.05) day, in testing conditions (soft ground and strong wind).
    Several with big claims and light burdens, courtesy of topweight Coko Beach (9/1). Despite the career-high OR162, he'll have conditions in favour and should go well over fences he appears to relish. There's worse value in the field, given that weight hasn't been a barrier to success in this.

The Big Breakaway (9/2 fav) was one of my top3 for April's GN but he met with early misfortune when made the meat in a sandwich on the inner at the 2nd. Closely related to Rathvinden, he's got the stamina to do the job and this is his time of year (close 2nd, staying on in last Welsh GN under 11-13).
    Has the GN again in his sights but, although he shoulders only 10-13 today (1lb lower OR than Chepstow), an unhappy experience over these fences often leaves a mental scar. With a less than stellar seasonal bow in the Badger Beer (5th, had to be niggled along early), I suspect I'll regret this but my money will go elsewhere.

Ashtown Boy (5/1) bids for back-to-backs with 10-06, just +2lbs mark on his win under 11-05.

But my shilling will be carried by HIGHLAND HUNTER (11/2).
    Runner up in the 2021 Welsh GN  off OR149 (2lbs lower today) when with Paul Nicholls, he's recently joined Fergal O'Brien who's yard is currently in fine form. Ran nicely on yard and seasonal debut (first time tongue-tie, worn again today, after a long lay off).
    Course debutant but reportedly went well over Lambourn's Aintree-like schooling fences.
    Closely related to the stout staying mare of yesteryear Ebony Jane, he'll love the ground and will get every yard.

Should be a belter.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Bollocks - took off way too far off at The Chair. No chance for the jock.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    1. 11yo Chambard for Venetia, very impressive
    2. Coko Beach - very brave run under 12st, held up, came to challenge the winner who just cruised away
    3. Percussion
    4. Celebre D'Allen
    5. Lounge Lizard

Only 5 finish
  • Options
    Any tips for the Welsh national today?
    Cheers 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    clb74 said:
    Cheers 
    He won't be my only interest, and this may sound nuts being 12lbs wrong, but for me NOT SURE has serious e/w value at 40s.
    Closely related to Royal Athlete (top class Irish GN winner Our Duke, dour stayer Tipsy Mouse also in the family) and brother of the classy Balleycasey, he is sure to be at his best over further than the 3m furthest trip he's tried to date. As I once owned a full brother to Royal Athlete (sadly injury wrecked his career early, like so many) I know the quality of this family as a whole and they're not only bang at home at Chepstow but are versatile as to going. Stamina, stamina, stamina is their strength.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Cheers 
    He won't be my only interest, and this may sound nuts being 12lbs wrong, but for me NOT SURE has serious e/w value at 40s.
    Closely related to Royal Athlete (top class Irish GN winner Our Duke, dour stayer Tipsy Mouse also in the family as well as the classy Balleycasey), he is sure to be at his best over further than the 3m furthest trip he's tried to date. As I once owned a full brother to Royal Athlete (sadly injury wrecked his career early, like so many) I know the quality of this family as a whole and they're not only bang at home at Chepstow but are versatile as to going. Stamina, stamina, stamina is their strength.
    Sorry peanuts had to lol this.
    I never make me mind up and the wife always moans about it.
    So not sure is right up my street
  • Options
    For those who have william hill accounts.
    Any horse twice the price on the win part of the bet today.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Another to carry my shilling with appealing e/w value is 8yo, Pipe-trained ONLY THE BOLD, also at 40s.
    Only seen over hurdles this season and only his 4th start over fences today, he's won both chase attempts at 24~25f (Soft & Hvy), finishing strongly both times.
    Like Not Sure, breeding strongly suggests progressive potential over further. Closely related to 1984 Welsh GN winner Righthand Man, inbred to Wild Risk and by the interesting sire Jeremy (Corach Rambler's sire).
    Jockey Jack Tudor won this with Potters Corner in 2019. 

• Options
    edited December 2023
    I'm probably going to stick with my 2 long shots today.
    Some serious opposition, more than a few with very strong credentials but shortish prices.
    I'm a big fan of 2021 winner Iwilldoit but it's a massive ask to win it as 12 stone topweight. Similarly Chambard has a great chance if his Becher win hasn't taken too much out of him (won it in comfortable fashion so may not have) but 10 & 11/1 respectively is just too skinny for my e/w team.
    Should be a great renewal.
    Enjoy!!
  • Options
    Personally, I can't not back Chambard, who I was very pleased to have at 40s for the Kim Muir in 2022. Venetia is a great trainer and knows what it takes in races like this. Trying to smuggle in under a penalty before a rise in the weights, to me, strikes of someone trying to capitalise before the handicapper catches up, given it's a pretty short break.

The admirable Truckers Lodge will also be carrying my shilling given his race record - enough for a place, at least, would be nice - and finally, at a massive price, Domaine De L'isle at 80s is worth the smallest of punts for me: two wins from four runs at Chepstow, and comes with absolutely ridiculous risks attached, but... could we see a horse like this revive itself out of nowhere more than once every 81 times? I think so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another to carry my shilling with appealing e/w value is 8yo, Pipe-trained ONLY THE BOLD, also at 40s.
    Only seen over hurdles this season and only his 4th start over fences today, he's won both chase attempts at 24~25f (Soft & Hvy), finishing strongly both times.
    Like Not Sure, breeding strongly suggests progressive potential over further. Closely related to 1984 Welsh GN winner Righthand Man, inbred to Wild Risk and by the interesting sire Jeremy (Corach Rambler's sire).
    Jockey Jack Tudor won this with Potters Corner in 2019. 

My old man has a share in OTB and they are as optimistic as you can be of a good run in a race of this nature. They share your opinion that this test will really suit (marathon trip and, hopefully, deep ground) 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Personally, I can't not back Chambard, who I was very pleased to have at 40s for the Kim Muir in 2022. Venetia is a great trainer and knows what it takes in races like this. Trying to smuggle in under a penalty before a rise in the weights, to me, strikes of someone trying to capitalise before the handicapper catches up, given it's a pretty short break.
    You've persuaded me @PaddyP17
    On the nose at 11s, completes my team of 3.

• Options
    Cheers Peanuts, had your two each ways so a little bump to my account thanks to you. 
  • Options
    Nice one , Peanuts.
  • Options
    Nice one peanuts top man
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    IdleHans said:
    Cheers Peanuts, had your two each ways so a little bump to my account thanks to you. 
    Cheers @IdleHans
    Glad he made a return for us.
    Went nicely under a nice ride and what a run from Iwilldoit but no flies on the winner. 
    That Chepstow Trial has been a serious pointer down the years but everyone knows it so always a shortish price but, strewth, 8/1 looks massive now. Great for the Moore family.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Cheers @IdleHans
    Glad he made a return for us.
    Went nicely under a nice ride and what a run from Iwilldoit but no flies on the winner. 
    That Chepstow Trial has been a serious pointer down the years but everyone knows it so always a shortish price but, strewth, 8/1 looks massive now. Great for the Moore family.
    as you say Peanuts, a terrific day for Gary Moore and his apprentices, a treble in the days biggest three races
  • Options
    edited February 2

Returning to the subject of the 15% cut in field size to 34, in an idle moment, I thought I'd run some stats on performance relative to representation for sections of the race card for the 10 GN renewals since the major race changes post-2012 (a decent sample now, comprising 395 runners and 60 finishing 1st~6th).
    The results are partly intuitive, in showing that the average SP of winners and frame-makers tends to increase going down the weights (the market, rationally or otherwise, tends to overrate quality v suitability for the GN test).
    But they also bear out the view that's underpinned my rationale for using a model down the years (since 2006 to be precise). That, as well as (but to a greater degree than) runners returning after having (in their previous GN) finished in the frame, runners from down the weights had shown the biggest relative outperformance of any part of the card.
    The 2 stats combined shows why it was the sweet spot for punters and why I think the ante-post market holds little appeal, at least to me.

In reverse order (from #35~40, then in blocs of 6 until #1~4), out/under-performance by race card number in the 10 GNs from 2013: 

#35~40

Representation: 13.9%
    Wins (2): 20% - average SP 39/1 (Aurora's Encore [66/1] and Minella Times [11/1 but ante-post 40/1], both #35) 
    1~6th (12): 20% - SP 34/1 

#29~34

Rep: 15.2%
    Wins (2): 20% - SP 29/1
    1~6 (4): 6.7% - SP 39/1

#23~28

Wins (2): 20% - SP 29/1
    1~6 (9): 15% - SP 29/1

#17~22

Wins (1): 10% - SP 14/1
    1~6 (8): 13.3% - SP 32/1

#11~16

Wins (1): 10% - SP 10/1
    1~6 (11): 18.3% - SP 22/1

#5~10

Wins (0): 0%
    1~6 (9): 15% - SP 13/1

#1~4: 

Rep: 10%
    Wins (2): 20% - SP 14/1 (Many Clouds and Tiger Roll's 2nd win)
    1~6 (7): 11.7% - SP 11/1

HOWEVER:
    a) Many Clouds, who won by 2L was a beneficiary of a 5lb compression in the weights [a practice no longer meaningfully applied] and
    b) Among those #1~4 in the card, those that had finished 1~6 in their previous GN run account for 1 winner and 4 of the frame-makers.

Thus, the performance stats for those #1~4 in the card that had not previously made the frame in a GN are as follows:

Rep (29): 7.3%
    Wins (1): 5% - SP 25/1
    1~6 (3): 5% - SP 15/1

While the stats for all returning frame-makers (in their next run only), regardless of race card number, are as follows:

Rep (34): 8.6%
    Wins (1): 10% - SP 4/1
    1~6 (8): 13.3% - average SP 19/1

BY CONTRAST: from those #35~40 on the card, neither of the 2 winners and only 1 (Alvarado 2015) of the 12 frame-makers had placed in their previous GN run (indeed 9 of the 12 were having their GN debut).  

Make of all this what you will but it points to why I'm finding the ante-post market for this year's GN particularly unappealing.
  • Options
    edited February 6

Record 61 Irish-trained runners dominate as 94 entries are revealed for the 2024 Randox Grand National.

Mullins has 13 (but do not include Gaillard Du Mesnil) and Elliott 26 (28% of the entries alone, to save you the maths).

In alphabetical order:

Adamantly Chosen (IRE)

Ain't That A Shame (IRE)

Amirite (IRE)

Angels Dawn (IRE)

Annual Invictus (IRE)

Ash Tree Meadow (FR)

Ashtown Lad (IRE)

Asterion Forlonge (FR)

Battleoverdoyen (IRE)

Bronn (IRE)

Busselton (FR)

Capodanno

Celebre d'Allen

Cepage

Chambard

Chemical Energy

Classic Getaway

Coko Beach

Conflated

Corach Rambler

Delta Work

Desertmore House

Diol Ker

Dunboyne

Dusart

Eklat de Rire

Eldorado Allen

Embittered

Empire Steel

Fakiera

Fakir d'Alene

Fakir d'Oudairies

Famous Bridge

Fantastic Lady

Farouk d'Alene

Favori de Champdou

Fiddlerontheroof

Foxy Jacks

Frontal Assault

Full Back

Fury Road

Galia des Liteaux

Galvin

Gevrey

Glengouly

Good Boy Bobby

Hewick

Highland Hunter

I Am Maximus

Iron Bridge

Its On The Line

James du Berlais

Janidil

Kinondo Kwetu

Kitty's Light

Latenightpass

Le Milos

Letsbeclearaboutit

Limerick Lace

Longhouse Poet

Mac Tottie

Macs Charm

Mahler Mission

Malina Girl

Meetingofthewaters

Minella Crooner

Minella Indo

Minella Trump

Mister Coffey

Monbeg Genius

Moroder

Mr Incredible

Nassalam

Noble Yeats

Ontheropes

Panda Boy

Placenet

Revels Hill

Riaan

Roi Mage

Royal Thief

Run Wild Fred

Sail Away

Salvador Ziggy

Samcro

Shakem Up'arry

So des Flos

Stattler

The Goffer

Threeunderthrufive

Tommie Beau

Tullybeg

Vanillier

Where It All Began

• Options
    I'm in no hurry to put my shillings down this year folks.
    The sweet spot for most of my model's early fancies has been down the weights but the reduced field size and Elliott's notoriously unreliable pointers to Irish or Aintree GN preferences (Fairyhouse is 12 days prior this year) makes early selections potentially a giant frustration and waste of time, at least pending the bookies going NRNB in meaningful numbers.