Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County: Saturday 3rd February 2024 | KO 15:00

Fourth-placed Derby County were the visitors to the Valley this afternoon to face interim head coach Cutis Flemming’s beleaguered Charlton, in what was likely to be his final game in charge before a permanent head coach is appointed. With Derby pushing for automatic, Charlton are wading just above the relegation spots. Notably, ever-present captain George Dobson, the subject of transfer rumours that suggests he off to foreign pastures, sat this one out with a supposed calf strain. The first half was not notable other than for continual frustrating stoppages that made any joy hard to hold on to and which was reflected in the 10 minutes of additional time. But before the half was brought to a close, a wayward pass exposed our defensive frailties yet again, leading to Derby’s Mendez-Laing with a glit-edge opportunity from the centre of the Ashley Maynard-Brewer’s box. Despite having spent three or so minutes being tended to with a bleeding foot, he dutifully dispatched it to put Derby ahead.

Changes in shape inspired Charlton’s second half performance improvement. But it was never enough and Derby comfortably saw out the narrow victory.

With it looking as though Nathan Jones is on the verge of being announced as the man to take us forward there is some hope that we can move back up the table to mid level obscurity. A tough run of fixtures lay ahead though, with Reading away next week a defining opportunity, one way or the other. Today puts Derby in second and Charlton down to nineteenth. 

Charlton 0 Derby 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    When will it end?
  • Options
    Genuinely no idea why Nathan Jones would take the job. Hope we've got him to sign the contract before he realises how big a risk he's taking.
  • Options

I fear this photo will haunt AMB for the rest of his Charlton career, and beyond. It's too perfect
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our back line throwing away another point 
  • Options
    Toothless display….players happy to sit back and play tippy tappy shit…..Ladapo a bust….Kanu not good enough
  • Options
    Major major trouble. Massive roll of the dice on Jones. Here’s hoping he can do it. Relegation to League 1 was supposed to be a holiday where we’d batter everyone. Imagine being in division 4….
    Imperative we stay up 
  • Options
    Nathan Jones needs to be a miracle worker. 

Maybe we do need God on our side. 
    I may even start to believe there’s a god if we stay up but I can’t see it . 
  • Options
    Lad apologise for darkening our doorstep. Gilles pheyvourites to beat us next next season.  Scott to say, isn't it time you went?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:
    Same problems first half as last week 
    Why did we start the same but Dobbo out so Coventry in?
    The new signings have currently added nothing to the shower of shit before them

Bakinson isn't very good at football 
    Good engine.  Poor passing, poor touch.

Coventry looks tidy.  That is all.

REG isn't a midfielder. 

Fiorini is worse than Tedic. 

Lapado has looked horrendous  

Time to rest AMB.

Bewildered.
    Are you really judging a player that came on in the 93rd minute!
    I'm judging him on two terrible touches and two terrible previous sub appearances.

Yes.
  • Options
    Put this on the match thread...

I don't buy the lack of creativity in the midfield line. Would prefer REG in defence but Coventry whilst deep lying is a passer rather than a shield the defence type. Should be able to run games from deep. Bakinson is a proper box to box covers ground and tackles but we should expect him to make regular late runs into the box ala Jackson. Against weaker teams yes I'd like Watson or Fiorini alongside them (playing as a 2nd 8 rather than as a pure 10) but against top teams I have no problem with Dobbo in there with them.

2 problems I think that make it seem like midfield is the problem:
    1 - lack of creativity out wide means that eveeything has to go through midfield but this just makes us easier to play against. Hopefully the 2 new wing backs solve this.
    2 - we don't have a hold up striker. Ladapo is more physical and hopefully will be a good partner for May but isn't the physical hold up type. So thr ball just keeps coming back at us which means we have to create so much more.
  • Options
    What happened to AMB's head?