Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County: Saturday 3rd February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    I am not sure how many more disappointments I can take and I am sure I am not alone. Would be nice just once in a while to feel the satisfaction of a win. I only get to a handful of away games each season at the moment but I haven't seen us win for two years! We are totally lost and I can't see us recovering, even with a new manager. Player recruitment yet again has been all wrong and the mentality of the players is shot to bits. Does anyone realistically think that when players like Taylor, Ladapo, Camara are up to match fitness they will be able to turn this around? I think not.
    You're a jinx !
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Croydon said:
    Very good interview with Fleming on Charlton TV. Spot on with the problems. Really would like him to be a prominent coach under NJ.  
    Is there any other fanbase that gets this hard over someone speaking on camera. Fucking hell
    Honestly, the amount of people taken in by a soft Irish accent is something else, hope none of you are off to Dublin on a hen do, you’ll be anyone’s after a couple 
    Surely that's the idea of a hen do ? 
  • Options
    I think Nathan Jones will sort out the bleeding obvious and ensure players play in their correct positions for a start. This will help. Bakinson is very obviously not a 10 and REG is very obviously a CB or RB/RWB for starters. 

Other than the basics, I thought we were pretty competitive and fancy us to now get back to back victories against Reading and Lincoln. If we don’t pick up 3-4 points, we really will be in the sh*t, but I think we will be alright, when an experienced logical head puts the pieces in the right order…
    On what basis?
    The last 12 games?
  • Options
    robroy said:

Ha ha they really are a bunch of melts. That little child running down to giver it and a steward palming him away. About as menacing as a bunch of Andrex puppies.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Valley11 said:
    Major major trouble. Massive roll of the dice on Jones. Here’s hoping he can do it. Relegation to League 1 was supposed to be a holiday where we’d batter everyone. Imagine being in division 4...
    Imperative we stay up 
    Carry on like this and we won't be imagining it!

Each transfer window must get more difficult with our reputation as career killers.
    Sorry trying to cheer people up.

56 years ago today Peter Reeves got married.
    In the morning and playing in the afternoon.
    He was 18 years old and was marking Rodney Marsh that day.
    .Some of Reeves team mates were hardly any older Bob Curtis 18, Dennis Booth 18,Paul Went 18 . John Stenson 19 and Bob Willis 20.

for the last 30muutes we played with 10 men and had been without our goalkeeper for most of the second half . 

We drew 3-3 , QPR went up and Peter Reeves, Bob Curtis and Paul Went would go on to play over 820 games between them for Charlton.

Just trying to cheer everyone and myself up.

Sorry.

Don't be sorry:
    Was that the game Rodney Marsh scored a hat trick and a curtsy to the Covered end ?
    "Rodney is a fairy" a different age with no social media and full on insults.
    No … Rodney scored one only in the 9th min 

We played them in FA Cup 1970 lost 2-3 at home Rodney scored twice. But The Covered End let him have it ..Rodney is a fairy.. but what a player as was Peter Reeves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I note as always there is a lot of normal Charlton fan negativity and it’s not surprising, however I honestly do not think we will go down.
    the way we stay up may not be pretty but I think
    we will be above 18th 👍👍👍
  • Options
    It's time to take a deep breath and consider that with a new Manager and 16 games to go it's in our own hands.

If we go down then we deserve too...simple.

But for now we need to forget what other teams are doing and just concentrate on us. 

Taylor and Camera might make a difference coming bsck, gawd knows they couldn't make it worse than it is although it's not an impossibility. 

Hopefully Nathan Jones can change the formation as 352 is clearly not working. 

I am a little surprised if this fella takes us on but perhaps he needs to rebuild himself after the car crash ping pong table calamities at Southampton. 

Let's expect the worse but hope for the best.

However, if there's any blame being slung for this season of f*ck ups then the Owners should put their hands up and admit it was their fault entirely.

They believed people's bullshit and let them loose on bringing in cheap poor unfit players but even worse they bring n a Manager that every Charlton fan knew was rubbish and yet they let it continue. He should have gone after the Burton home game but no... they let him carry on for another 7 bloody games and one sodding point! 

Still, on the bright side I'd imagine a lot of fans will complete their 92 grounds if we how down... 

Alas not. Wrexham, Harrogate and Barrow will all go up. 
  • Options
    follett said:
    The fans being on AMBs back if he doesn’t distribute within 0.05 milliseconds is frustrating, can see his confidence is low and this doesn’t help. He can sometimes be slow but people start moaning when there’s absolutely nothing on. He’s clearly a great keeper with zero confidence, hope we don’t ruin him 
    What do you see in him to describe him as a great keeper ? He punched one today in the first half with no one near him. I swear 3k Derby fans laughed. And he failed to come for a through ball that Thomas did well to cover and then berated Maynard Brewer for (quite rightly. ) 
    For anyone old enough to remember the Flumps, he resembled Pootle today with his headgear. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    I think Nathan Jones will sort out the bleeding obvious and ensure players play in their correct positions for a start. This will help. Bakinson is very obviously not a 10 and REG is very obviously a CB or RB/RWB for starters. 

Other than the basics, I thought we were pretty competitive and fancy us to now get back to back victories against Reading and Lincoln. If we don’t pick up 3-4 points, we really will be in the sh*t, but I think we will be alright, when an experienced logical head puts the pieces in the right order…
    On what basis?
    The last 12 games?
    I think the squad now has better balance for a 3-1-4-2 or 3–5-2 and if Louis Watson or Chuks or fit Fiorini can take that creative 10 slot, we will have enough in May and Ladapo to help pick the results up. I think we are entering a new dawn and perhaps am less pessimistic based on such a run of results. Reading’s defence are apparently really crap and Lincoln blow hot and cold. 🤞🤞🤞
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm baffled why Isted didn't play today. Not because I'm writing AMB off, but because he needs time out of the firing line, to work with coaches on his deficiencies. You can see the frustration our defenders have with him and his decision making. 
    Bakinson spent a good five minutes shouting at him after that punch, and was still having a go at half time.
  • Options
    follett said:
    The fans being on AMBs back if he doesn’t distribute within 0.05 milliseconds is frustrating, can see his confidence is low and this doesn’t help. He can sometimes be slow but people start moaning when there’s absolutely nothing on. He’s clearly a great keeper with zero confidence, hope we don’t ruin him 
    He's clearly a great keeper?
    He stops shots. 
    He doesn't communicate, he's poor with crosses, he doesn't organise, he's slow, his kicking is poor. 
    He has no "presence". 
    He flaps a lot.  Last week he dropped an easy catch and conceded a corner. This week he dropped another simple catch, there was the ridiculous punch when under no pressure, and of course he got injured when trying some weird low punch.
    I’ve never heard him call for a ball.  Yes, he’s pulled off some great saves but he desperately needs some coaching around the rest of his role.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Think Fleming is being treated extremely harshly. Yeah we ain't won a game but we hadn't won 10 before he took charge. He has to pick these players up whose confidence is shot to pieces, that isnt easy. By the sound of it there were passages of play which we maybe should have nicked a goal

Personally feel the players aren't being set up to suit there best abilities because there is no way we should be where we are on paper but we are so it is no easy job to change that. 

Hopefully Jones can...

This wasn't the case. We could still be playing now and wouldn’t have scored. 
    100% correct. Not an ounce of creativity. 
  • Options
    Derby best away support for some time. 
    Pleased to see them locked out of Charlton station because of cancelled trains. 
  • Options
    Make no bones about it, were in a relegation battle, anyone who thinks we aren't or were too big to go down, look at some of the teams below us, the likes of Oldham for example who have been mistreated and have suffered the consequences. We aren't any different 
  • Options
    edited February 3
    swordfish said:
    Valley11 said:
    Major major trouble. Massive roll of the dice on Jones. Here’s hoping he can do it. Relegation to League 1 was supposed to be a holiday where we’d batter everyone. Imagine being in division 4...
    Imperative we stay up 
    Carry on like this and we won't be imagining it!

Each transfer window must get more difficult with our reputation as career killers.
    Sorry trying to cheer people up.

56 years ago today Peter Reeves got married.
    In the morning and playing in the afternoon.
    He was 18 years old and was marking Rodney Marsh that day.
    .Some of Reeves team mates were hardly any older Bob Curtis 18, Dennis Booth 18,Paul Went 18 . John Stenson 19 and Bob Willis 20.

for the last 30muutes we played with 10 men and had been without our goalkeeper for most of the second half . 

We drew 3-3 , QPR went up and Peter Reeves, Bob Curtis and Paul Went would go on to play over 820 games between them for Charlton.

Just trying to cheer everyone and myself up.

Sorry.

Don't be sorry:
    Was that the game Rodney Marsh scored a hat trick and a curtsy to the Covered end ?
    "Rodney is a fairy" a different age with no social media and full on insults.
    Did he ever score a hat trick against us ? I remember the curtsy not so sure on a hat trick ?

I'm pretty sure if Peter Reeves looked in his back pocket today he'd still find a clump of blond wavy hair  :D