Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County: Saturday 3rd February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    I think we're now being shown why many of us on here hadn't heard of these players we'd signed. We've all heard of Johnson Clarke-Harris, Aaron Collins, Owen Dale & Jack Marriott......because they are pretty good. 

Ladapo the only one I'd heard of, because he's pretty good following your logic, not that me having no knowledge of the others caused me concern. So isn't it odd that the player marks seem to score him lower than the others, possibly because our expectations of him are higher given his reputation.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    Losing is always disappointing but Derby are 2nd and beat us by one gifted goal.  We weren't great but play like that without the mistake and find someone who can create and we will win enough against the poorer teams. 

We simply have to get a result v Reading and beat Lincoln to keep ourselves out of the bottom 4 before we have Bolton, Pompey and Derby again... But after that our run in is as good as you could ask for.

Reckon we finish somewhere between 12-16.

I am not despondent as I think with May, Dobbo (if he stays) Coventry, Taylor, Leaburn (I hope) er have 5 very good quality L1 players and would hope a couple out of Ramsey, Small, REG, Gillesphey and Hector join in that group.  If so and if we stay up we have the basis of a decent squad for next year and need to bring in the 4-5 top drawer, make a difference players in the summer.

Finally, well done to Ness, thought he was out MoM by a mile today.  Had an excellent game.  Could be like a new signing if back on form.

The only player we had who could create something has gone to Derby. 
  • Options
    I'm baffled why Isted didn't play today. Not because I'm writing AMB off, but because he needs time out of the firing line, to work with coaches on his deficiencies. You can see the frustration our defenders have with him and his decision making. 
    Isted is an accident waiting to happen from what I've seen ( which admittedly isn't much) AMB is always likely to pull off a brilliant save but clearly neither will be in a promotion winning team unless there's a huge improvement 
    He only had a small number of games before getting injured. He wasn't brilliant in those games BUT good enough to suggest he deserves another chance, when AMB has been found wanting for several games now.
  • Options
    I think we're now being shown why many of us on here hadn't heard of these players we'd signed. We've all heard of Johnson Clarke-Harris, Aaron Collins, Owen Dale & Jack Marriott......because they are pretty good. 
    Aaron Collins came on as sub and got an assist for Bolton's vital equaliser today.
  • Options
    edited February 4

Jack Marriott who has 5 L1 goals this season (same as Stockley), hasn’t scored since 1st November and just dropped a division?
    Going to Wrexham is a false version of dropping a division. Same reason Mullin, Lee, Foster and O'Connell dropped leagues to join them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 4
    Croydon said:

Jack Marriott who has 5 L1 goals this season (same as Stockley), hasn’t scored since 1st November and just dropped a division?
    Going to Wrexham is a false version of dropping a division. Same reason Mullin, Lee, Foster and O'Connell dropped leagues to join them

Agree.
    Paul Mullin's is on a Championship wage and has been good enough over the last 3 years to play in the Championship BUT chose the Hollywood team and apparently is earning shedloads off the pitch as well.
    Jack Marriott despite dropping a division will also get a wage increase though I wouldn't expect it to be near the excellent Mullin's wage.
  • Options
    Les Reed’s first game as manager was away to Reading, that bounce went well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 4
    Les Reed’s first game as manager was away to Reading, that bounce went well.

Les Read has had just about every job in Football from coach, head of development  to technical director of football including working with the England national team and the FA.

The two things that Les Reed couldn't attain was being a player or Manager with any success. Zero Appearances at 3 pro clubs and 6 weeks as Manager of Charlton was a hapless failure with the defeat to Wycombe in QF being Reed's Waterloo.

Les Reed couldn't have a new manager's bounce as he wasn't a manager despite Murray thinking he was.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    I suppose the plus point was we competed physically and were just as good as them apart from a stupid mistake, which it seems we always make, whoever makes it and we are always punished for it. The negatives were we didn't show much creativity apart from a couple of crisp moves maybe. I think Maynard-Brewer has become a negative. I thought people were being hard on him a few games ago but the last few games the lack of form has spread to him. Not to blame for the goal though.

Another negative that people lauding our window have missed is that we have been over reliant on CBT offensively. We have lost that this window. It is also a possibility, as metioned above, that Derby are a dour defensive side who consequently are hard to beat but have very little about them. Probably one of the worst teams you can make a big mistake against although we haven't beat the other teams we have made big mistakes against either. I thought Coventry looked decent if I am grasping for positives. We looked better when we changed formation a bit, our starting wing backs are terrible offensively. To the point where they can not be classed as wing backs IMO. Thomas looked a better wing back when he briefly played that position FFS! 

I think we should ditch the 5 at the back. It doesn't make us better defensively and the wing backs are crap. We have some good defensive midfielders and Coventry and Dobbo could play in front of the back four covering the other when one goes forwards. That would allow us to start somebody like L Watson. In fairness to May, he is such an honest player that if you give him too much to do, he does it, sometimes to the detriment of what he is good at. We need Aneke back. Even if it is only for four or so games to turn the tide.
  • Options

In fairness, I hadn't heard of Dale Stephens, Michael Morrison or Yann Kermorgant before we signed them.

People on here were demanding the signing of Lapado and looking at his performances thus far, I wouldn't say his signing has been game changing. I actually disagreed with some posters on here, I felt yesterday's performance by Lapado was better, not brilliant but better, I also felt that he and Alfie May were starved of any service, as was Kanu. When we did actually manage to get crosses in, we caused them problems, sadly I counted just four crosses into the box, two in each half. The wing back experiment fails because both Edun and Watson are not very good at what we are asking them to do, contrast their talents with someone like Lawrie Wilson, a player who would bomb up and down the right hand side and actually cross the ball. 
  • Options
    Good goals yesterday... From Stockley and Forster-Caskey.
  • Options
    Defenders are not allowed to just focus on defending in modern football we are told. 
  • Options
    Bolton’s equaliser came about from a long throw. 
  • Options
    Bloody hell. It's so depressing. I'm sure we must have had worse runs of form/results in my 60 years supporting Charlton but this is right up down there with them.

I just hope that NJ can make a quick and decisive impact. Relegation to League Two is an horrendous but realistic prospect.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    Entirely expected set up against an automatic promotion chaser. 
    Just before they scored we’d quietened their crowd, we put a few little combinations together and then Mendez-Laing came back on the pitch. 
    It was absolutely the worst time to concede, completely stalled us and played right into what Derby are. A horrible team (but effective) with no flow, no rhythm, constant spoiling and disrupting momentum. 

Point all the fingers at Macca for the pass, that’s easy! What about Ness’s positioning as well? What about Conner’s ridiculously late position change? 

Ness was offline and wide before the ball advanced from deep! He was in a safe possession build up position He needed to be connected with TT, then move (to what was his starting position) if the pass connects to create an option! Mendez Laing would be 1v2 if he had!

Macca’s disguised a reverse into Connor who was there until his passing foot was in the air. Connor bought the disguised clearance which wasn’t for him and was off looking to support behind. 
    The pass stunk of a lack of cohesion and understanding between players unfamiliar with each other. 

A slight positive looking forward - the squad isn’t moulded together in an identity. NJ can arrive at training tomorrow and begin shaping that, from its most basic form without having to undo too much first.