Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County: Saturday 3rd February 2024 | KO 15:00

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    ValleyBen said:
    For me Coventry is clearly pointing for him to pass it to Thomas, as Coventry points and then moves the other direction.

I appreciate some fans are determined to excuse our CBs of any blame but you must believe Coventry is one of the dumbest players in the game if you think he fails to remember what direction he himself pointed a second earlier. 
    Yep. Pointing to play it inside. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Valley11 said:
    All those people who said Steve Gallen was a chancer….

Don't think he was any better or worse than Scott. Flabbergasted either can earn such a decent living in this stupid manufactured role that they both occupy(ied)

Don't see why we can't just go back to the conventional management set up (if it still exists?) and fuck the Director of Football / Recruitment role off. Curbs pointed out the amount of players who have come through the doors in the last couple of years and it's evident that the manager struggles to get a tune out of any of em. So, why not just have a manager (responsible for recruiting the players HE will be working with), assist manager, a few coaches in different areas and a couple of scouts. With the internet, scouting must be so much more easier these days, even if it's to just initially source players? 

Maybe Jones coming in might bring about a bit of change, even if it sees Scott make a sideways move as opposed to out of a job, it would be a start....

Edit - Just seen Scott is "Technical Director" whatever the f*** that is, but recruitment is obviously still within his remit, so point still stands.
    Agree completely 
  • Options
    I have no problems with Alfie in the No 10 role, behind 2 strikers and running into the box. Yesterday for much of the second half though, too often he was far too deep and actually playing in midfield, so that when the ball went into the box he was nowhere near there. 
  • Options
    Brown59 said:
    Complete disaster happening at this club. Inept owners who with Scott are abysmal decision makers. Those supporters who don’t think we’re in a relegation battle need to stop getting high on Prosecco and face  the facts that going into Div 4 is a real possibility. On current form I don’t see Charlton any better than the teams below us. With 2 teams below us with games in hand we could easily drop into the bottom 4 this weekend if we loose at Reading. We’re in real trouble the only hope is the new manager may give the team a kick up the arse which they all need. Although after watching yesterday I’m not sure it’s a done deal yet. My fears are unfortunately getting closer each week. 
    I would highly doubt that many of our supporters drink Prosecco 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    WHAddick said:
    Brown59 said:
    Complete disaster happening at this club. Inept owners who with Scott are abysmal decision makers. Those supporters who don’t think we’re in a relegation battle need to stop getting high on Prosecco and face  the facts that going into Div 4 is a real possibility. On current form I don’t see Charlton any better than the teams below us. With 2 teams below us with games in hand we could easily drop into the bottom 4 this weekend if we loose at Reading. We’re in real trouble the only hope is the new manager may give the team a kick up the arse which they all need. Although after watching yesterday I’m not sure it’s a done deal yet. My fears are unfortunately getting closer each week. 
    Have you not heard of a Charlton Buck’s fizz? Bovril and Prosecco 
    Sounds genuinely disgusting. I'll give it try to help wash down my Christmas cake and mustard sandwiches 😉
  • Options
    Good goals yesterday... From Stockley and Forster-Caskey.

Taylor 2, Magennis, Hackett-Fairchild also scored yesterday.

It doesn't mean a lot in the big scheme of things.

• Options
    Noticed Nolan's advice is for Nathan Jones to put L Watson in the team. I guess he'll already know him from Luton so it'll be interesting to see if he does. I hope he does.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 4
    Let’s hope he does. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    ValleyBen said:
    For me Coventry is clearly pointing for him to pass it to Thomas, as Coventry points and then moves the other direction.

I appreciate some fans are determined to excuse our CBs of any blame but you must believe Coventry is one of the dumbest players in the game if you think he fails to remember what direction he himself pointed a second earlier. 
    I think I'm the last person who excuses our CBs. He could have been pointing at Thomas but you can see how Gillesphey thought otherwise. 
    Agreed, it is an understandable error he makes, my second part is more at the trend by many different posters to excuse defensive errors by defenders by pushing the blame on to players in other positions.

I cannot see how anyone can put any blame on Coventry in that goal. 
  • Options
    Brown59 said:
    How are you getting high on Prosecco? Are...are you snorting it??
  • Options
    edited February 5
    Maybe, and especially with the type of game it was, it wasn't the best idea to play a ball inwards from deep in your half. I hate that kind of ball as if you lose it you are in big trouble. If you make the pass are you in a great position? Usually no.

I would say if Coventry had got it, he would have probably passed to a right sided defender. So if you are going to pass around at the back to no real effect, it probably isn't a good idea to have a risky, high difficulty pass in the chain. Maybe best to save them for passes in the opponents half which might lead to something.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    fenaddick said:
    WHAddick said:
    Brown59 said:
    Have you not heard of a Charlton Buck’s fizz? Bovril and Prosecco 
    Sounds genuinely disgusting. I'll give it try to help wash down my Christmas cake and mustard sandwiches 😉
    In my youth when I worked in a bar I once served someone a Guinness and tomato juice mixed.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Derby fan saying Mendez Laing estimated to be out for three months. Of course, he scores while playing with said injury for five minutes at ours.
  • Options
    Derby fan saying Mendez Laing estimated to be out for three months. Of course, he scores while playing with said injury for five minutes at ours.
    Yes, it is typical
  • Options
    You won't believe who his replacement winning goalscorer in the reverse fixture will be