Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County: Saturday 3rd February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Losing is always disappointing but Derby are 2nd and beat us by one gifted goal.  We weren't great but play like that without the mistake and find someone who can create and we will win enough against the poorer teams. 

We simply have to get a result v Reading and beat Lincoln to keep ourselves out of the bottom 4 before we have Bolton, Pompey and Derby again... But after that our run in is as good as you could ask for.

Reckon we finish somewhere between 12-16.

I am not despondent as I think with May, Dobbo (if he stays) Coventry, Taylor, Leaburn (I hope) er have 5 very good quality L1 players and would hope a couple out of Ramsey, Small, REG, Gillesphey and Hector join in that group.  If so and if we stay up we have the basis of a decent squad for next year and need to bring in the 4-5 top drawer, make a difference players in the summer.

Finally, well done to Ness, thought he was out MoM by a mile today.  Had an excellent game.  Could be like a new signing if back on form.

You been drinking?!
  • Options
    Well a poor game of football. I can see why my Derby mates di nit like their style of play if you can call it that.
    When it come to our team we'll they were pathetic.
    The new dignings are a distinct let down.
    In particular Barkinson who is just not very good  Ladpo seems unable to control his legs, his first touch is poor his passing is poor he cannot run with the ball at his feet. Gillesphey is shocking his passing wasv liability, Coventry is poor not as good as Dobson.

Are regulars we're their usual pathetic self, even May.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 3
    We can not carry on with AMB. He is the worst GK i have seen  this season so far, he really is shocking..
    Give him a break, and drop him.
  • Options
    Not to overstate this but it feels like this point in time is one of the most pivotal in our history. This appointment has to be the right one. It's a weird situation as I really don't think the players in this team are anywhere near the worst we've seen over the past decade so hopefully a good coach gets them clicking.

Performances like today, not terrible but definitely didn't deserve much. Last 2 we look a bit more solid but definitely losing the attacking threat. I understand why we've gone like that but Jones really needs to come in and give a boost to their confidence, I genuinely think that they aren't bad players just mentally not all there. 
  • Options
    Started pretty well in both halves. We lost confidence after letting in a soft goal. Hate it when we play towards the covered end in the first half. Odd not having Dobbo in midfield. Injured? Eh! He is never injured! Thought Coventry played quite well in Dobbo's position. Ladapo looked better than in his previous two games but still disappointing. Curious to watch us whacking long balls for May to chase instead of fannying around at the back like we normally do. Think we were lucky CBT didn't play against us today. Should have been a 0 0 draw but in the end we were lucky not to lose 0 2 when Bird slipped through our defence and missed from about eight yards.
  • Options
    I think Nathan Jones will sort out the bleeding obvious and ensure players play in their correct positions for a start. This will help. Bakinson is very obviously not a 10 and REG is very obviously a CB or RB/RWB for starters. 

Other than the basics, I thought we were pretty competitive and fancy us to now get back to back victories against Reading and Lincoln. If we don’t pick up 3-4 points, we really will be in the sh*t, but I think we will be alright, when an experienced logical head puts the pieces in the right order…
    We had a lot of the ball in the second half but a lot of that was down to Derby being content to soak it up and hit us on the break. The worrying thing is that for some weeks now we would have to score two to win a game, today we did not look like scoring and as Fleming rightly pointed out, we failed to deliver crosses when we should have. That to me shows that the players involved are not confident when presented with those positions. Ultimately, we keep conceding and we fail to score, we go down. 
  • Options
    It's time to take a deep breath and consider that with a new Manager and 16 games to go it's in our own hands.

If we go down then we deserve too...simple.

But for now we need to forget what other teams are doing and just concentrate on us. 

Taylor and Camera might make a difference coming bsck, gawd knows they couldn't make it worse than it is although it's not an impossibility. 

Hopefully Nathan Jones can change the formation as 352 is clearly not working. 

I am a little surprised if this fella takes us on but perhaps he needs to rebuild himself after the car crash ping pong table calamities at Southampton. 

Let's expect the worse but hope for the best.

However, if there's any blame being slung for this season of f*ck ups then the Owners should put their hands up and admit it was their fault entirely.

They believed people's bullshit and let them loose on bringing in cheap poor unfit players but even worse they bring n a Manager that every Charlton fan knew was rubbish and yet they let it continue. He should have gone after the Burton home game but no... they let him carry on for another 7 bloody games and one sodding point! 

Still, on the bright side I'd imagine a lot of fans will complete their 92 grounds if we how down... 

Alas not. Wrexham, Harrogate and Barrow will all go up. 
    Wrexham should go up as probably will Stockport and Mansfield. 

Then perm any one from Barrow, Crewe, Notts County, Wimbledon and Gillingham. Harrogate aren't quite there yet. They've had a decent season compared to last year when they nearly got relegated but I'll be amazed if they make the play offs.
  • Options
    I'm baffled why Isted didn't play today. Not because I'm writing AMB off, but because he needs time out of the firing line, to work with coaches on his deficiencies. You can see the frustration our defenders have with him and his decision making. 
    Isted is an accident waiting to happen from what I've seen ( which admittedly isn't much) AMB is always likely to pull off a brilliant save but clearly neither will be in a promotion winning team unless there's a huge improvement 
  • Options
    Did any players actually play well today? Thought Coventry was maybe the best of a bad bunch but would also hope he has better displays in him. Thomas and REG were alright also but I don’t think any player actually played well which is not a great sign 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Derby best away support for some time. 
    Pleased to see them locked out of Charlton station because of cancelled trains. 
    Surprised to see (and hear) quite a few outside the home areas of the ground before the match. 3 or 4 chants went up & I'm surprised there wasn't any trouble. Dont know where the fans came from as it wasn't the station end and no police presence anywhere to be seen at that point. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Well a poor game of football. I can see why my Derby mates di nit like their style of play if you can call it that.
    When it come to our team we'll they were pathetic.
    The new dignings are a distinct let down.
    In particular Barkinson who is just not very good  Ladpo seems unable to control his legs, his first touch is poor his passing is poor he cannot run with the ball at his feet. Gillesphey is shocking his passing wasv liability, Coventry is poor not as good as Dobson.

Are regulars we're their usual pathetic self, even May.
    Six or seven pints, right?
    Three pints of Proper job and chubbybfingers on a mobile phone.
  • Options
    Does not change how rubbish the new player were
    and we are relegation bound.
  • Options
    edited February 3

Jac_52 said:
    AMB wouldn't get in to most teams in this division as a number 1. Keeper needs addressing in the summer.
    I called it very very early doors that we have one of the worst defences in the league and I wasn't wrong. 

AMB is worse than Connor Ripley, Harry Lewis, Jay Lynch. I can't say for sure he's worse than Luke Southwood or David Button, but he probably is. That's all the teams below us keepers. So in my eyes we have in best case, a top 3 worst goalie in the league. He is the worst goalkeeper I've seen at Charlton, if he wasn't a Charlton youth player, he would be getting pelters. He was absolutely, horrific today. If Jones doesn't drop him for Isted as his first task, I'll be concerned.

There are defenders in the teams below that are on par with ours, the ones who I highlighted from sides like Northampton and Stevenage earlier on in the season, are now miles ahead of us in the table. 

The absolute, worst recruitment team in the whole of English football pound for pound, I cannot be convinced otherwise. 

A regular person who plays football manager on their morning commute would be able to identify better players. 

They should all be sacked. The Recruitment team, Methven, Rodwell, Scott, out. Utter parasites. 

Yohann Thuram ?
  • Options
    edited February 3
    Southbank said:
    It is a sign of the utterly desperate state we are in that so many of us think that Chuks getting, and staying, fit will save us.
    Given that the SMT also seem to think that, hence selling CBT and not replacing him, the whole club is delusional.

Jac_52 said:
    AMB wouldn't get in to most teams in this division as a number 1. Keeper needs addressing in the summer.
    I called it very very early doors that we have one of the worst defences in the league and I wasn't wrong. 

AMB is worse than Connor Ripley, Harry Lewis, Jay Lynch. I can't say for sure he's worse than Luke Southwood or David Button, but he probably is. That's all the teams below us keepers. So in my eyes we have in best case, a top 3 worst goalie in the league. He is the worst goalkeeper I've seen at Charlton, if he wasn't a Charlton youth player, he would be getting pelters. He was absolutely, horrific today. If Jones doesn't drop him for Isted as his first task, I'll be concerned.

There are defenders in the teams below that are on par with ours, the ones who I highlighted from sides like Northampton and Stevenage earlier on in the season, are now miles ahead of us in the table. 

The absolute, worst recruitment team in the whole of English football pound for pound, I cannot be convinced otherwise. 

A regular person who plays football manager on their morning commute would be able to identify better players. 

They should all be sacked. The Recruitment team, Methven, Rodwell, Scott, out. Utter parasites. 

Yohann Thuram ?
    AMB not even in the same league as Thuram who should’ve had gloves on his feet and boots on his hands absolute joke of a keeper foisted upon SCP by Dushitalot. Had the displeasure of seeing him throw two in his own net to lose 2-1 at Wigan after being in front and weetabix another from 30 yards to lose at Middlesbrough.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Did any players actually play well today? Thought Coventry was maybe the best of a bad bunch but would also hope he has better displays in him. Thomas and REG were alright also but I don’t think any player actually played well which is not a great sign 
    Ness, who I always watch closely, had a very good game.
    Tenai Watson was also decent.

I now think we’ll be relegated, barring Chuks playing ten games. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    NabySarr said:
    Ness, who I always watch closely, had a very good game.
    Tenai Watson was also decent.

I now think we’ll be relegated, barring Chuks playing ten games. 
    Yeah they were both alright, but still wouldn’t say anyone played well. 

If we lose to Reading I will be very worried. But I think we will get a result there and be just about ok 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Jac_52 said:

Yohann Thuram ?
    AMB not even in the same league as Thuram who should’ve had gloves on his feet and boots on his hands absolute joke of a keeper foisted upon SCP by Dushitalot. Had the displeasure of seeing him throw two in his own net to lose 2-1 at Wigan after being in front and weetabix another from 30 yards to lose at Middlesbrough.
    That was my point
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Jac_52 said:

Yohann Thuram ?
    That was my point
    I know I was agreeing with you 😉