Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County: Saturday 3rd February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Will Jones pick a different set of players (within the confines of the squad we have) or reorganise the team from yesterday? 

What’s going to turn it around?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Very good interview with Fleming on Charlton TV. Spot on with the problems. Really would like him to be a prominent coach under NJ.  
    Is there any other fanbase that gets this hard over someone speaking on camera. Fucking hell
    Liverpool / Klipperty
  • Options
    edited February 4
    I think we need to change the formation as we don't have the players to play it effectively.
  • Options
    I don't have enough knowledge of Jones and his preferred style of play but I assume it is not based on wingers. 
  • Options
    The first thing he needs to do is play players in their right position and then try and get a free goalkeeper and forward who’s available.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    I think we need to change the formation as we don't have the players to play it effectively.
    I think with the right combination we actually do. For this season Thomas is a good LCB and REG should be more comfortable at RCB but we've barely seen him there. A confident Gillsephey would be a good central CB as he can progress the ball through the middle well. Edun & Watson aren't strong enough defensively to play FB and Ramsay and Small appear to be very attacking too. If well coached then the defence should be strong enough.

What we definitely are lacking is creativity in the centre of the park. Coventry looks like he can provide it from deep but we need a link between him and the strikers. If May, Ladapo and Kanu are always receiving the ball with back to goal 30 yards out we'll never score.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    Valley11 said:
    All those people who said Steve Gallen was a chancer….

Don't think he was any better or worse than Scott. Flabbergasted either can earn such a decent living in this stupid manufactured role that they both occupy(ied)

Don't see why we can't just go back to the conventional management set up (if it still exists?) and fuck the Director of Football / Recruitment role off. Curbs pointed out the amount of players who have come through the doors in the last couple of years and it's evident that the manager struggles to get a tune out of any of em. So, why not just have a manager (responsible for recruiting the players HE will be working with), assist manager, a few coaches in different areas and a couple of scouts. With the internet, scouting must be so much more easier these days, even if it's to just initially source players? 

Maybe Jones coming in might bring about a bit of change, even if it sees Scott make a sideways move as opposed to out of a job, it would be a start....

Edit - Just seen Scott is "Technical Director" whatever the f*** that is, but recruitment is obviously still within his remit, so point still stands.
  • Options
    Complete disaster happening at this club. Inept owners who with Scott are abysmal decision makers. Those supporters who don’t think we’re in a relegation battle need to stop getting high on Prosecco and face  the facts that going into Div 4 is a real possibility. On current form I don’t see Charlton any better than the teams below us. With 2 teams below us with games in hand we could easily drop into the bottom 4 this weekend if we loose at Reading. We’re in real trouble the only hope is the new manager may give the team a kick up the arse which they all need. Although after watching yesterday I’m not sure it’s a done deal yet. My fears are unfortunately getting closer each week. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure we can blame the owners tbh. Reckon it's more down to Scott etc 

They've obviously made money available and if the Jones appointment comes off, that's another decent investment. Got a feeling that either Friedman or Brener, or both, will take completely control at some point and maybe that would be the way to go.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    Croydon said:
    I think we're now being shown why many of us on here hadn't heard of these players we'd signed. We've all heard of Johnson Clarke-Harris, Aaron Collins, Owen Dale & Jack Marriott......because they are pretty good. 

Jack Marriott who has 5 L1 goals this season (same as Stockley), hasn’t scored since 1st November and just dropped a division?
    Going to Wrexham is a false version of dropping a division. Same reason Mullin, Lee, Foster and O'Connell dropped leagues to join them
    It sort of is, but not really. Yes, it's not like a player bombing down the leagues but it's a high paying celebrity destination for players on the decline or unable to progress where they are. With the possible exception of Mullin who had just had a very good L2 season - the first good season of his career - before becoming a free player and joining a league lower, the main players they sign are ones who weren't successful where they had just been so they're free or their team is willing to let them go. Elliot Lee was unwanted at Luton and hadn't succeeded at L1 level with Charlton. O'Connell had lost his place and wasn't getting it back under Holden. Foster is 700 years old and spent the last couple of years more interested in his YouTube channel than his football so Wrexham was perfect for him. Fleetwood will have been absolutely delighted to get a decent sized bid for Marriott, a striker who was one of their highest earners and getting a goal around every 5.5 games. I very much doubt another L1 team was coming in for him.
    Wrexham give off the image that they're disrupting the football pyramid through their transfer dealings but they very rarely lure a player down the leagues who seems destined for greater things, more often it's a player at a crossroads who is happy to play down a league to pick up a much bigger salary and enjoy the circus of it all.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but all 4 would get into our team, and Wrexham will be in the same league as us (maybe even the league above us) next season.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    We have looked better defensively these last two games, both goals came from individual errors. Thomas is playing well, Ness was better (though I still wouldn't have in my 11) and Gillesphey did okay apart from the mistake. We love Dobson for his all action style but Coventry is a different style of defensive midfielder, with imho better positional sense and just as effective.  The issue for me is that the whole team apart from the strikers needs to move up the pitch, we sit far too deep and don't get numbers forward to support May and Ladapo. Hoping our new wing backs help and we somehow find a creative midfielder that the new manager wants to pick.
  • Options
    Will Jones pick a different set of players (within the confines of the squad we have) or reorganise the team from yesterday? 

What’s going to turn it around?
    We do not have any particular style or pattern of play that can be relied on. That one solitary move with CBT and is now gone. NJ will need to work and develop a creative style that brings certainty, cohesion and confidence in these players. The team has been so badly managed this season that it is crying out for someone to reorganise things. It can be done with the same set of players. 
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    I don't have enough knowledge of Jones and his preferred style of play but I assume it is not based on wingers. 
    If it is based on wingers we’re stuffed . We don’t have any apart from T Campbell and the less said about him the better . 
  • Options
    I missed those turns and changes of direction Dobson is so good at yesterday.
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights again and noticed that Coventry pointed  where he wanted the ball to his left then ran to the right and Gillesphey played the ball where he pointed. Definitely Coventry fault 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Just watched the highlights again and noticed that Coventry pointed  where he wanted the ball to his left then ran to the right and Gillesphey played the ball where he pointed. Definitely Coventry fault 
    Yeah, you're right. Missed that. Pretty harsh that Gillesphey gets the blame. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    ross1 said:
    But I read he's a 'halfwit donkey' 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Looks more like he is pointing to Gillesphey to play it to Thomas, would make more sense as he was caught off guard when the ball was played to him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 4
    ValleyBen said:
    It's 3412.

We have bought the squad to play that system and once we switched to Alfie playing as a proper ten behind the front two, it worked yesterday. It also helped when we weren't playing a centre half in midfield.

Arguably now the biggest gap in the squad is that number ten as the link between defensive midfield, wingbacks and attack.

Alfie can do it (but you'd like Alfie up to too). I suspect L Watson can do it. Not sure about Tyreece.

The lack of wide attacking players means we're largely wedded to that system now. 442 narrow diamond is the other obvious option. 

Within that system i think the squad is fairly decent with some question marks.

Most of our problems should be sortable with time and better coaching. We have players who don't know each other. Some are not fit. Some are out of form.

At centre back (one of our most questionable areas) there have been too many costly mistakes. Confidence, better organisation and better understanding of teammates will go a long way to sorting that out.

There are always calls to get our business done early in the summer transfer window. We've done it in January, in preparation for a promotion push in 24/25.

(Waits for some wag to question which league we'll be pushing to be promoted from!)

• Options
    msomerton said:
    Well a poor game of football. I can see why my Derby mates di nit like their style of play if you can call it that.
    When it come to our team we'll they were pathetic.
    The new dignings are a distinct let down.
    In particular Barkinson who is just not very good  Ladpo seems unable to control his legs, his first touch is poor his passing is poor he cannot run with the ball at his feet. Gillesphey is shocking his passing wasv liability, Coventry is poor not as good as Dobson.

Are regulars we're their usual pathetic self, even May.
    Six or seven pints, right?
    that really is not enough atm
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    ross1 said:
    Ah yes. The old communication problem again. I believe it takes time for players to develop an understanding, even in L1, and if that is the explanation for yesterdays gift to the opposition, well it seems to undermine any suggestion that my belief is a myth.
  • Options
    Desperately looking for positives from yesterday so (1) The crowd were behind the team from the start (2) The players were trying (3) The second half performance was much better than the first and (4) a strong team like Derby were restricted to only two or three decent chances all game.

• Options
    Brown59 said:
    Complete disaster happening at this club. Inept owners who with Scott are abysmal decision makers. Those supporters who don’t think we’re in a relegation battle need to stop getting high on Prosecco and face  the facts that going into Div 4 is a real possibility. On current form I don’t see Charlton any better than the teams below us. With 2 teams below us with games in hand we could easily drop into the bottom 4 this weekend if we loose at Reading. We’re in real trouble the only hope is the new manager may give the team a kick up the arse which they all need. Although after watching yesterday I’m not sure it’s a done deal yet. My fears are unfortunately getting closer each week. 
    Inept owners…..what are you on about. 🙄
  • Options
    edited February 4
    .ross1 said:
    ross1 said:
    Good spot, although Coventry might have been pointing at Thomas or Ness?  👍

• Options
    edited February 4
    ValleyBen said:
    For me Coventry is clearly pointing for him to pass it to Thomas, as Coventry points and then moves the other direction.

I appreciate some fans are determined to excuse our CBs of any blame but you must believe Coventry is one of the dumbest players in the game if you think he fails to remember what direction he himself pointed a second earlier. 
    I think I'm the last person who excuses our CBs. He could have been pointing at Thomas but you can see how Gillesphey thought otherwise.