Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County: Saturday 3rd February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options

I’ve not worn it since! 
  • Options
    We are a very poor team, lacking in ability and creativity. Anyone who thinks we’re not in massive trouble is deluded and Jones needs to work wonders and quickly. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Our survival could well rest on Aneke getting fit and staying fit.
    100%. 16 games left. Very unlikely he will play all 16. Genuinely feel like even 2 or 3 games might be enough if he plays like he did at start of the season.
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:
    Can we please now stop the loving for Curtis Fleming?

And Pearce, don’t forget him. These bastards are ruining our club. We was ok till they came along with their fancy ideas. 
  • Options
    edited February 3
    There was nothing in the game till Gillisphreys howler, we then stopped competing till half time. Better in the second half but for all the time we had the ball we created only two chances, Lapados improvised header and Alfie May's shot. Derby were quite happy to let us have the ball and hit us on the break. The wing backs created nothing and with that being the case, the midfield three had to push on, not just sit flat, Coventry tried, Bakinson had his worse game thus far and REG shouldn't be in the midfield. We have two forwards who can score goals, but for so long we have relied on CBT to open up defences, that any playing without him will take time and good coaching. Are we in trouble ? Absolutely, we have played with three up front since Stockley and Washington left and it's rare to see a side totally change their formation in mid season, fine tweek it,yes, but not a wholesale change, this late. Add that to the catalogue of defensive howlers, that are now obligatory, then the new manager will have to have more than bounce, he will have to formulate a successful plan and quickly. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    19th, 3 points clear of the drop but all of the teams below us have games in hand, including Port Vale with three games in hand and one point behind us. 
    Nothing to suggest, and one thing being forgotten, is the fact that none of those teams will suddenly turn into winning machines over the next couple of months either. 

We're all down the bottom because we cant win games. 
    Form from last 5 games: 

24. Carlisle: 0 Points
    23. Fleetwood: 4 Points
    22. Cheltenham: 3 Points
    21. Reading: 8 Points
    20. Port Vale: 4 Points 
    19. Charlton: 1 Point
    18. Burton: 5 Points. 

They don't need to be winning machines, just better than us. 
    No. We are 6th from bottom. We need to equal their results
    The 2 teams directly below us that stop us being 4th bottom have games in hand AND we have to play one of them next week. 

PV & Reading only need win once & they go above us (in Readings case they need to score a few goals too). We REALLY are in the shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    What happened to AMB's head?
    He gave it a wibble, ouch fat finger I mean wobble wibble. I'm not saying he had a wobble wibble wibble but wibble he gave it a wobble.
  • Options
    edited February 3
    Was out celebrating a good friend’s 65th today so while you lot were choking on the latest installment I was munching happily on these (Blacksmith’s Arms - one of the island’s finest). As a result I only got home in time to see the last 20 mins. I think I got the best of it. What an awful looking game of football. Derby’s command of the dark arts the deciding factor. I’m afraid we have the stench of relegation about us. I’ve comforted myself with the thought that, bad as we are, there is sufficient real chuff below us for us to survive but the chuff is getting closer to our backside (I do apologise for that image). I hope Jones turns out to be the Messiah that the majority appear to think he might be but he has his work cut out with this lot I’m afraid. Massive game next week. 

• Options

Finally just a note on our new signings, buy and large they are no better than what we had.
    This.

On the Transfer thread there is an ins & outs comparison  and I cant say any of the new 8 players are any better than the ones we got rid of. 

The other day I rated the business as 5 out of 10. Having sat through 105 mins of uninspiring & uncreative bilge I would like to.change my score to 3 out of 10. 

Even though I would never set foot in the ground if Lyle Taylor had signed for us he already has scored more goals than Ladapo has & probably more than Ladapo will score during the rest of the season. 

• Options
    Chunes said:
    follett said:
    The fans being on AMBs back if he doesn’t distribute within 0.05 milliseconds is frustrating, can see his confidence is low and this doesn’t help. He can sometimes be slow but people start moaning when there’s absolutely nothing on. He’s clearly a great keeper with zero confidence, hope we don’t ruin him 
    Is it clear that he's a great goalkeeper? Good shot stopper maybe. But there's more to it than that. 
    In my opinion yes, I didnt have an issue with his decision making until his confidence fell off a cliff. Countless teams we’ve played have praised him and he’s clearly doing enough in training to suggest he shouldn’t be dropped. It’s currently not translating to his in game performance and maybe he should be dropped as a result. I’m just fed up of sarcastic cheers when he catches the ball and groans when he doesn’t immediately release despite there being nothing on, why can’t we get behind him. 

It screams Nick Pope 2.0 to me. Hopefully Ash can regain his confidence like Nick did

• Options
    Was out celebrating a good friend’s 65th today so while you lot were choking on the latest installment I was munching happily on these (Blacksmith’s Arms - one of the island’s finest). As a result I only got home in time to see the last 20 mins. I think I got the best of it. What an awful looking game of football. Derby’s command of the dark arts the deciding factor. I’m afraid we have the stench of relegation about us. I’ve comforted myself with the thought that, bad as we are, there is sufficient real chuff below us for us to survive but the chuff is getting closer to our backside (I do apologise for that image). I hope Jones turns out to be the Messiah that the majority appear to think he might be but he has his work cut out with this lot I’m afraid. Massive game next week. 

Meal looks good,but next time wash it down with a pint of Yachtsman . Can recommend The Seaview Hotel.

• Options
    Croydon said:
    DOUCHER said:
    If the 2 players we’ve just signed to play wing back are no good and if chucks doesn’t come back and stay fit, I think we are in serious danger of going down - Coventry is the only signing Scott has made to date that is any good - Scott has been an absolute disaster 
    The cameo Ramsay had looked good, he didn't have too much time, but had enough to suggest he will come to be fine, the other guy, Small, we will have to see, but we need Chuks to be able to get 30 minutes a game minimum to change things up if needed, otherwise you are right, we are in deep shite big time...
    Did he look good? He tackled himself trying to cross it
    Yes...i've just said so didn't I...🙄
  • Options
    robroy said:

I’ve not worn it since! 
    Is it Aneke's ?
  • Options
    edited February 3
    Dreadful game - Derby weren't as bad as us.

No attacking threat and the usual defensive error.

Can't see us winning a game.
    You are right they weren’t as bad as us but they looked way off a team that will get promoted. 

they looked like a team that knew the opposition weren’t much of a threat and sat back on their lead and hit us on the break with ease.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    The Goal came about because AMB cant or wont kick the ball downfield. Instead we flaff around the backline and it takes forever to get the ball into the opposition half. Is this tactical or an inability to kick the ball. It drives me mad!
    Most teams these days want to play out from the back, it make the opposition push up on them which creates gaps. AMB could kick but is being told to play out from the back as much as possible.One change today though, he actually came for crosses, sadly the one he made, he dropped, but that's what he needs to do. 
  • Options
    Whoever interviewed Curtis at the end of that game for Charlton, said " we know we've got a lot of quality in our squad... "  As a club we are so deluded in thinking we are better than we are, we're 19th in league 1 for a reason. Cause we're shit. Our players have little to no quality whatsoever. Whose to blame for this? I don't know. 

Not the head coach. But sack him anyway because that’s the traditional thing to do.

The problem is the players and the person signing them.
  • Options

Meal looks good,but next time wash it down with a pint of Yachtsman . Can recommend The Seaview Hotel.

The glass to the left of the steak plate was indeed a pint of Yachtsman. And it was jolly good. 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    The Goal came about because AMB cant or wont kick the ball downfield. Instead we flaff around the backline and it takes forever to get the ball into the opposition half. Is this tactical or an inability to kick the ball. It drives me mad!
    Lumping it up works if you’ve got Aneke up there. Booting it up to Ladapo and May just results in the opposition turning over possession 
  • Options
    First time I've seen us since New Year's Day.

No width
    No creativity
    Devoid of ideas

BIG  BIG  BIG game next Saturday at Reading. Lose that & most likely we'll be in the bottom 4. Port Vale have 3 games in hand on us so I expect at some point they will go above us.

The only saving grace is that there might be just 1 relegation spot to fight for. If either Carlisle or Fleetwood go above us then we will go down. It could be between & Reading for 4th bottom. Imagine getting relegated to team who've had points deducted. 

Andy Scott & the rest of the footballing Board have serious questions to answer. To get to February and have THAT squad is indefensible. 
    I doubt they give a shit, of course they want us to be successful but if we're not I doubt it's a big deal to them, it's just a money making exercise. Methven finds investors, sells them a business opportunity & luckily he has a team of people experienced in the football world (his mates) been involved in promotions & worked in the Premier league blah blah blah & we can run the club for you & I promise you I will get this club out of this division. Looking good for that.
  • Options
    Big task for Jones, but I’m confident that we’ve got a decent manager and he should be able to do enough with what that squad to keep us up.

I’m hoping that when he takes his first training session he’ll have the experience to lift the players, and we can get the results against the Exeter’s, Cheltenham’s and Carlisle’s etc.

It’s not going to be easy, but the likes of Ladapo don’t automatically become toilet upon joining (they may do after having been in here a while, but we’re not there yet.

I thought Coventry looked more industrious for us today than he has done in any game so far.  Ladapo should get up to speed and Dobson will hopefully benefit from working alongside him.

the defence is still a worry, and for me, Thomas has looked the best of a bad bunch.  I know Gillesphey cocked up today, but I’m hoping that’s a one off.

A win against Reading as unlikely as it seems at the moment given our run, could massively lift the whole club and then it will be about the rebuild.  I don’t even want to think about the alternative if we’re in League 2 next season